Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, what makes the yellow/orange/pink part of hi-vis, hi-vis is that they fluoresce; but in order to do this, UV light needs to fall on them.

the only headlights which give off UV are xenon bulbs, from what i can find. so bar the reflective strips, the fabric parts of a builder's jacket don't make a difference at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Aren’t car headlamps (bar the fancy new LED or laser) the xenon/incandescent bulbs that you mention?

Would this not mean that as a source of UV light, fluorescence would work at night in their vicinity?

Im not saying that it’s better than reflective strips, just that they are sources of UV light for fluorescence at night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i didn't think incandescent bulbs are a source of UV? they're not the same as xenon anyway.

though i have seen reference online to them putting UV filters in the bulbs to prevent UV from damaging the outer structure of the light casing (i guess to stop the 'glass' yellowing).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even if they were, you'd still see reflective further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Yea, although small, incandescent bulbs do give off UV. Their sub-group, halogen bulbs, give off even more UV. Most car headlamp technologies emit some (albeit, small) amounts of UV, although they are not designed this way. But I agree, nighttime isn't when fluorescence is the most effective.

Fluorescence works by absorbing the UV and emitting it as visible light, hence the ability for fluorescence material to be brighter than normal or even white clothing. When it has no UV to convert, it is as good as someone wearing bright colored clothing, which is a good fall-back to have.

Reflective clothing is a very different technology. It reflects oncoming rays directly back to the source. If the receiver (drivers eyes) are not roughly in the same line as the emitter (car headlamps), it loses its effectiveness. It is no better than bright clothing while it is lit in daylight, or lesser amount when it is lit indirectly by streetlights or by another drivers headlamps, for example. Another advantage of fluorescence is that it is super cheap, you can pick up a vest for next to nothing. Fluorescence can be appear brighter while being indirectly lit, unlike reflective clothing on its own. One often overlooked advantage is its recognisability. Road workers, emergency service personnel, the Gardai, heavy industry workers, even fishermen wear fluorescent and reflective high-vis clothing. When we see someone wearing it we immediately recognize it as a person in an vunerable environemnt. It can take longer to recognise what a flashing bicycle light is, for example. For these reasons both reflective, flourescent, or lights can complement each other to make the wearer better seen. Each has weaknesses where the other can compensate for.

Unfortunately, research out there either supporting or dismissing the types of high-vis clothing is mixed at best. Its a shame on the governments and institutions that no major research is being made into this area.

Fluorescence has a dirty name with some in the cycling community which I think is understandable, but unfair. It is understandable, as drivers and politicians will often wrongly victim blame cyclists for "not wearing fluorescent clothing" when the main issue is the lack of cycling facilities, the carelessness of drivers or the safety of their vehicles. As a result, some in the cycling community has pushed back by dismissing fluorescent material altogether. This is unfair, as the issue isnt with the technology, its with the people making the wrong accusations in the first place.

Bright bicycle lights, reflective, fluorescent and bright clothing can improve the visibility of vulnerable road users. Probably in that order of most importance. That said, we shouldn't legislate cyclists to have to use any of these technologies. The less hindrance there is for someone to switch from driving to cycling the better off we all are as a society. A bicycles best selling point is the ease at which you can just pick one up and go.

Post edited by McHardcore on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

UK letters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"push cycle enthusiast"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"Willy Richards" 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

this is what happens when houses don't wear high vis or helmets or pay heed to red lights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There was a house at the Clonskeagh entrance to UCD that every few months would have a new bit of damage done by someone flying up the Clonskeagh Road at night and then hitting tyhe kerb as the road (barely) bends, Normally just the wall came down but I think twice I seen where the car was fast enough to go through the wall and into their living room.

• Advertisement

near where i grew up, there was a house whose garden wall was probably knocked down6 or 8 times; and it wasn't someone missing a bend, it was someone coming to a T junction which somehow surprised them, and they ploughed straight on.

it's the one on the roselawn road in D15, where the delwood road meets it. disappointingly, none of the google street view history records any damage...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beside Tesco? Like how.

Roselawn road is my first memory of speed bumps growing up so maybe it was a problem

my mate's dad was responsible for those speed bumps. one night an off duty guard hit his citroen parked on the road outside his house and the low nose on the citroen resulted in the garda's car rolling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Sure there's a 30kmh limit on Delwood Road. You couldn't blame someone for zoning out, or climbing into the back seat to read a book, or eat a sandwich at that kind of pace. Now if you could go at, say, 160kmh, on Delwood Road there would be no problems whatsoever. You could get rid of the stop signs too. Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We used to wear builders jackets in clubs, back in the day... 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Some of the cars parked dumped on the side of main streets/ just outside town centres (looking at you Bray!) could do with mandatory hi-viz vests when parked up abandoned.

" Pedestrians and cyclists must wear high-vis clothing. "

Getting absolutely slaughtered in the comments LOLZ. What sort of numpty publishes a tweet like that? It seems, from my time on buses, in cars and cycling over the past 5 years or so that the Gardai have pretty much washed their hands of policing the roads. They'll turn up to a RTA, but other than that they're as likely to be the ones tailgating you as they are to be pulling drivers over for speeding or using phones.

• Advertisement

Oh god... I made the mistake of reading the replies. FFS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

More councillors calling for mandatory hi-vis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think cycle helmets have been mandatory for almost 30 years in New Zealand ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah, I spent a while there and used to cycle to work without a helmet. People at work would come over to me all concerned that I was cycling without a helmet, having driven past me on the way in. Eventually the police pulled me over and I had to get one. Only time I've ever worn one in my life. Absolutely f**king ridiculous, they're completely brainwashed.

Cllr Curran was on Newstalk  https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/why-one-councillor-thinks-the-rsa-are-victim-blaming-with-their-new-awareness-campaign

"I suppose I'd just like to challenge the narrative that high-vis vests save people's lives, The RSA have published a lot of research looking at the efficacy of high-vis vests, I don't think a lot of it adds up. There's a lot of research out there that shows that high-vis vests make people more visible, absolutely I'm not going to dispute that. My big concern is... I don't see how high-vis vests has any impact on the behaviour of motorists."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

WTAF "other questions remain about the tragic death, such as whether the mum of three saw the plane and whether she was wearing reflective clothing."

She was mowing the grass FFS.

• Advertisement

it might sound ludicrous, but there probably are strict rules about how people operate and behave around runways. it probably was mandatory for her to have been wearing hi-vis.

Advertisement