Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ya very poor from Eire Og today just didn't perform. Did things they never usually do like coughing up possession and poor shot selection. Even at that the game was there for the taking but some of the finishing was poor. Einne O Connor, Manus Doherty, Ciaran Russell gave it everything but they will be kicking themselves for not performing when it was there for them. O'Rahillys supporters should take a long hard look at themselves too, there must be an unwritten rule that a Kerry inter county player can't be sent off. Their reaction was way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Worrying.

Eire Og are Clare's best team by a distance.

And they still couldn't beat a 14-man Kerry side who hadn't played in months (and are far from the best Kerry side).

Shows the gulf in standard. 1-8 won't win many matches.

Nothing worrying about it O'Rahillys are a top 8 club in Kerry and that's fact because there are only 8 senior teams in Kerry. Its a big county and football dominates and is played in every inch of it. Compare that to Clare which isn't as big and where football isn't played in large swathes of the county. That's the reality.

On top of that Eire Og saved their worst performance of the year for yesterday's game and even at that if they tidied up their shooting they would have won it.

I hate the way we put Kerry up on a pedestal here, they are successful because of the sheer numbers they have playing the game, its as simple as that. No need for us to put them up on a pedestal because their supporters are arrogant enough to do that.

If the whole County of Clare played Football and nothing else we would have plenty of success at it too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In every game Eire Og sat back at the start to see what their opponents were going to do and adjusted, because of the quality of the opposition they got away with it and having 2 forwards allowed them to win most games easily, this isn't a slight on Eire Og more its a reflection on the opposition. Yesterday they conceded 1 1 at the start of the first half and 3 points at the start of the second,they could have recovered but they didn't.

Ya, I felt yesterday when they conceded the early goal they were goosed because they hadn't conceded a goal all year. It rattled them and they weren't as sure of themselves defensively or on the ball after that. It's not the first time this has happened them, they conceded a soft goal against the Barrs last year and it derailed them aswell.

I agree that they are very cagey in the first half of games and also feel outside of Cooney and McInerney they lack firepower. McInerney was poor yesterday.

It's up to other clubs in Clare now to exploit those weaknesses and topple them or else it's up to Ennis to address those issues, uncover more firepower and have a real crack at Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The state of club football in Clare is very worrying, Eire Og are miles ahead of everyone else and that's with them missing a load of players and getting to both finals.

I don't see that, club game has changed big population bases are dominating clubs in the west of the county not as strong but the clubs with numbers are stepping up.

Clubs like Ennistymon, Corofin, Clondegad. Other clubs in the county will have learnt from yesterday and will treat the townies with less respect next year and have a cut at them.

Almost every team in Clare setup to stop the opposition, not setup to win themselves, Eire Og are lucky because they have 2 forwards, Corofin scored 3 points against them in the semi final.

That's a coaching issue rather than a player issue. I think there is as good players as ever was in the county at present.

The easiest thing for a coach to do is set up defensively. It takes imagination and know how to have an attacking gameplan, it also risky.

There are alot of bluffers out there coaching teams picking up a few bob and defensive coaching rules because it is simple and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Eire Og will have Dean Ryan and Conal O'hAinifein back next but both are defenders but definitely need more firepower to compete outside of Clare. Lads like Eimhim Courtney, Paddy O'Malley and Davy O'Halloran not involved this year would have been good lads to take a score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I thought Ballyea did very well overall. They were much tighter with their touch. A few important misses and then suddenly Ballygunner were 5 or 6 ahead,game over. Kelly's free taking was obviously poor in that second half but they missed a goal chance aswell. They needed everything . Ultimately they can hold their heads high. Ballygunner have some excellent hurlers and no bad ones. Their vision and touch is unreal and they can all take a point...all of them. I think they ll beat Ballyhale.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Kelly was excellent today, but today again proved that he is not an inter county free taker .

Lohan needs to ensure he has someone other than Kelly taking frees and let Kelly concentrate on being what he is great at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah they competited better than I expected, given they ground it out in Clare championship and were lucky enough against the barrs in my opinion i feared for Ballyea prior to today but they gave it everything and died with their boots on. Patrick Fitzgerald looks like he's going to be some player too,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

another nonsense post , 4 kerry all ireland winners on the local team , all your talk of limerick rugby and lack of it in clare and you fail to spot a serios munster prospect in the making agin because of your love of controversy

i admit when it comes to intercounty hurling you have some idea of what your talking about but after that its just nonsense of the highst regard pure stupidity

you know your stuff in terms of hurling but dont ruin this page again with your thoughts on football you have no clue in that department stop wasting our time , local rugby also falls into that catogry , you have little to no knowledge of the grass roots game either

Thank you for your kind words on my hurling Knowledge.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Up there as one of the best forwards to ever represent Clare. 15 years service, top scorer in National Leauge football, supreme placed ball merchant, such a sweet striker of a football, a major reason why Clare have been competing at division 2 level for the last 6 or 7 years, is respected as a top forward countrywide.

Kevin Hartnett and Sean Collins have also called it a day.

Hartnett was some operator, full back or corner back, he gave no one an inch, a few former opposing forwards have named him as their toughest opponent.

Collins was a panelist with the all Ireland winning hurlers in 2013 and has an all Ireland u21 hurling medal to boot, committed to the footballers in 2014 and was a workaholic of a player either as a halfback or as a defensive half forward. Gave stalwart service to the saffron and blue.

hartnett and gordon kellys defending should be our own bench mark in how to play corner back espiacally ,their timing was excellent

sean was so unlucky in 2013 , he missed out in an all ireland through injury , and was a major part of his fathers success since

as for tubridy , one of the nicest lads you could meet , i consider him a better forward then ger keane or martin daly , the leval of individual talent we produced over the last 15 years in both codes has been sensational at times but this fella is probably one of , if not the best footballer we have ever produced in my opinion

• Advertisement

apologies but i cant just stand idle by at several jibes on clare football i am a west clare man after all , we might not be great but we take it to heart 😉, happy new year my man and hears to a better year for the hurlers in 2023 we are not far away ...

No jibes from here on Clare Football. They plough a lonely furrow and do a great job woth very limited resources. Not alone that but some of the best Hurling supporters I come across are West Clare people. They are resolute and steadfast..we can be abit flakey back east

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Any updates from the hurling camp about the squad for 2023?

New lads called in, or any leavers/retirements.

We play Tipp on Sunday in the Munster League, and then Waterford the following Sunday, so we'll find out then at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Heard a few have been let go from the panel, golden and paidi Fitz among them

Thank God. Paidi Fitz should never had.been on the panel in the first place. Golden has given some service over the years. Never really nailed down a place or delivered consistently.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The curious case of Paidi Fitz.

Not given a minute on the league or championship last year, except when selected to start the All-Ireland semifinal.

Now cut from the panel.

Clare’s full squad (v Tipp) is as follows:

1. Eamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

2. Adam Hogan (Feakle)

3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown) (Captain)

4. Cian Nolan (Smith O’Brien’s)

5. Brandon O’Connell (Ballyea)

6. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)

7. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

8. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)

9. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

10. Patrick Crotty (Scariff)

11. Davy Conroy (St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield)

12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

13. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

14. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

15. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

16. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

17. Gearoid O’Grady (Kilmihil)

18. John Conneally (Clooney-Quin)

19. Mike Gough (Smith O”Brien’s)

20. Oisin O’Donnell (Crusheen)

21. Robin Mounsey (Ruan)

22. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

23. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

24. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)

25. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

26. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)

That’s a serious squad, when you consider we have many players to come back.

in the forwards TK, SOD and Meehan. The likes of Flanagan or McInerney in the backs.

I wonder will John Conlon feature/start this year. Interesting to see Lohan named at 6.

goalie has been a bit of a problem position for us, interested to see if Foudy or somebody else can claim the spot. (Not that I’d give up on Quilligan either, he has his strengths)

Interesting and exciting line up for today's game. Good to see Morey back in probably the only position that really suits his skillset.

I must admit I haven't seen Foudy or the Feakle corner back. Iv seen Conroy once. Lohan centre back is interesting. Hard to see that working because of his size but he's a good ball player. Peter Duggan is in his best position and I hole he just concentrates on his hurling and forgets about being angry and throwing himself around. He's totally unsuited to playing an aggressive 'Hegarty type' game. Duggan is a potential scoring machine if given abit of space and playing with a smile rather than a scowl.

Big yeah for the management aswell. They did very well in Munster overall and very badly in the All Ireland semi. Id like to see them make changes quicker..thats number 1. Number 2 id like to see slightly quicker ball going into the full forward line and I don't want to see Duggan in there.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have seen the Feakle corner back for Mary I Freshers in bits and pieces this year but wasn’t set in stone at corner back. Nice hurler

Advertisement