Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I purchased some items last year and found the Irish companies hard to deal with. Understaffed and too busy in most cases it seemed. Never call you back.

Purchased from Germany and Poland in the end. Cheaper and more professional. Cost about the same for delivery of a pallet of panels from Poland as a Dublin company was charging.

Ideally I would buy from an Irish company. But in my case I require a panel size none of them stock currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Mr Q - "Ideally I would buy from an Irish company. But in my case I require a panel size none of them stock currently."

Yeah that's an issue alright. They order by the container load (near 800 panels in a container afaik) and from order to delivery could be 4 months. Due to their relatively small size compared to some continental European wholesalers, they usually only have a few types of panels in stock and they are not going to order panels for any individual customers, you buy what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If I was doing a driving holiday to Europe I'd be tempted to grab a trailer and bring a pallet of panels home

Not really a money saver unless your were already going on holiday, but it would be easier than trying to organise a freight forwarding company

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Eddi installed just now, removed the hub, so had to setup a new ecosystem in the app, all up and running! Have to add the harvi tomorrow with a few clamps. Delighted with that, that's my myenergi system complete and far less micromanagement required, nor discipline to have the car connected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I had an eddi installed in the attic back in June when my solar PV was upgraded. I went with the attic because some people (can't remember who) were telling me of issues with installing it in the hot press due to heat. That sort of made sense to me.

Unfortunately the attic was a stupid place for it also as it turns out the insulation (cold roof construction) blocks a lot of the RF signal between the myenergi devices. That made it either not work or do things that it shouldn't do like Zappi charging from the battery or eddi sitting there doing nothing with 3kW going out the door. One device on the myenergi network misbehaving can and will screw up everything else.

Tried an extension aerial as suggested by myenergi support and while that helped it wasn't quite enough to overcome the insulation issue. The aerial is in the buy/sell thread if anyone is interested.

Finally got a local sparks out on Thursday and he moved it down into the hot press. Ideal location for it and zero issues now. I had been monitoring the temp in there for the past few months with one of my zigbee thermometers and it never got above about 27C. Generally sits around 21 or so. Happy with that.

Positive is that I should be able to add the extra board to the eddi and temp sensor much much easier now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Are there any Irish wholesalers that will sell you an off the shelf battery. All now seem to only deal with installers?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

@silver_sky - that was really silly from the installer to install in the attic. For me the most important feature of the eddi after of course the fact that it diverts my excess PV to hot water instead of the grid where I don't get paid for it, is that my wife and kids can just simply press the boost button whenever the water is not hot enough. Without having to bother me or me or my wife having to go into the Nest app and get the gas boiler to do it.

This happens on a daily basis. We could hardly ask them to climb into the attic every time 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

…thereby discouraging said EDDI usage, perfect in the attic so😎

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

@Mr Q did you checkout GWL for panels?

They're probably not the cheapest but they do have 500W panels and they ship to Ireland

Nope. My wife has the Nest app on her phone, so if that is easier for them to use, they will use that, burning gas instead of using electricity. We need to go electric and stop burning stuff!

• Advertisement

I don't think I could handle my wife having remote access to the heating controls. She's bad enough turning the thermostat up to around 22C at night and trying to boil me to death 😬

Aye. Was a mistake. Like putting a window in the kitchen. But what can I do at this stage? If I disconnect / disable the gas there will be divorce 😁

my silliness 🙂 i guarantee if i show the boost button it will be used daily even if not necessary 😂

Reminds me when I disconnected the house phone a few years back, she went to make a call and unholy war until I said it's been disconnected for 4 months and saved us €x. Same reason I moved our heating controls from the kitchen to less used utility room, out of (easy) reach

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

"Nope. My wife has the Nest app on her phone, so if that is easier for them to use, they will use that, burning gas instead of using electricity. We need to go electric and stop burning stuff!"

Would you not have the MyEnergi App on your phone and boost remotely using that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Switched parents home phone in 2011 to VOIP, €2/m vs 40-60 i think it was at the time, had already moved 99% of calls to mobile as it was cheaper than the actual land line. Had to call up to get the porting number and original supplier was starting to say that it might not be as reliable etc... and I replied it was this or straight cancellation. It wasnt perfect as our wireless internet at the time could be a bit iffy at times.

Now on FTTH, there's no issues.. on the 1-2 calls they get a year on it.

I physically cut off the phone line coming into the house in 2005. That was painful back then as VOIP was still in its infancy, even more so in Ireland. I remember that at some point we got Blueface. Far from perfect but a revelation compared to what went before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I setup a boost button for the Eddi on Home Assistant. Used it a small bit during the summer when it didn't naturally heat the water (poor production days). Was a fraction cheaper than oil then, but is more expensive now. The oil is on anyway along with the solid fuel stove so not needed this time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Ah I know what you need to do, turn the thermostat on the boiler down to the lowest setting. It'll basically never switch on 😂

Then when complaints come in about the water being cold, give a "oh yeah, there's something up with that, while we're waiting for it to be fixed you can use this trick" and show them how to boost the Eddi. And mention it's better for the environment as a bonus😁

• Advertisement

They only ship pallets though, and shipping is something like €1k to Ireland

If you really want the big panels and can fit 30 of them on your roof, or can sell the spares on, then it might work out

They've got a lot of handy guides on their website for building batteries and stuff, although some of the products they have seem a bit low tech compared to the likes of Seplos and others

I must check how much it is to ship to Cherbourg, for a laugh I worked out you could get the ferry to France with a trailer and come back the same day for around €500. If you got free shipping to Europe then it would save some money

I'll go one better. Actually just switch the boiler off. Have done that too. Nest app still works fine, or it seems to 😁

The cold spell put an end to that though, but that was my first use of gas central heating this winter

I heat 1900sqft semi with half a bucket of coal in multi fuel stove, that makes it tee shirt warm and all bedroom windows open, the magic three words, insulation insulation insulation

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Saw this on a Facebook group earlier. Ouch.

Wow, I had one on initial install, died on the second day, got a replacement and sold it straight away, cemented my decision to DIY, crazy pricing for what you get

Yes those pouches are crap. Still no fire though. And to add to that, I put a bunch of badly swollen Pylon pouches to the test last year (at twice the rated current) and there was a lot more swelling and then one burst and vented like bejaysus. No fire though. LiFePO4 is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

that's certainly the case for the 500w panel. they do however have a number of panels under 400w that they sell individually e.g 16 x 390w panels including VAT and shipping comes to 3,431 euro or 215 euro a piece delivered (100 euro cheaper if you pay in dollars - thank god for the likes of revolut :). not a bad option if retailers in ireland are only dealing with the trade.

i'm currently living in england, will be moving home later this year when the house is livable. i'm thinking i could in theory buy panels, inverter etc. here, pack them into a van and drive them home without having to pay VAT / customs as they'd qualify as house contents on the import form, all above board just a lot of hassle compared to the czech site above.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Jaysus, that's bad.

• Advertisement

Well, you could get them shipped to northern Ireland.... I think parcelpost can handle pallets.

Advertisement