Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

“The school stated that the principal told Mr Burke that she would speak to him at an appropriate time and walked away but that Mr Burke followed her and continued to question her loudly”

Nobody questioned this, as far as I can see.

You have spent the last however number of posts nit-picking over words and attempting to downplay what happened, even though whatever happened, was serious enough that the Board of Management saw fit to place Burke on suspension for his behaviour.

You've made it quite clear throughout the thread where your support lies, and its not with the Prinicpal or the trans student. I don't see why you can't just be up front about it.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not nitpicking, quoting the actual wording,

I think we are all agreed at this stage, words are important.

Again, you will not find a post from me which supports Burke, if you find one, quote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah, could be already happening?

Everything would have to be as loud and media based as possible then I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why should the school be making special cases for contrary staff? Either he’s there to teach or he can GTFO.

• Advertisement

If you’d like to point towards the post that you’re thinking about, you’ll see that it proves you to be quite wrong. Tyre particles and brake pad particles are indeed harmful pollutants.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinions about women’s sport. Just as I am absolutely entitled to call out the blatant hypocrisy of pretending to be concerned about women’s sports when you’ve confirmed yourself that you have no interest in women’s sports,

You’re just jumping on a bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I work for a large MNC and we have a lot of Diversity and Inclusion stuff going on. If I were to publicly harangue one of the folks in charge of that, or even someone slightly involved - I'd be getting my papers.

What if one simply objected to it, without the harangueing part.

Since when do people need to be 'educated' by their employer, in the MNC sphere you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Controversial opinion:

Burke and the people who support compelled speech in relation to personal pronouns are all eejits.

No one mentioned compelled speech. Burke and other eejits have the option of saying nothing, but that doesn’t seem to suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So you’re saying if children in the school who want to be addressed as they and them come into contact with Burke, or anyone else who doesn’t agree with using pronouns to address people, they have the option to what? Be mute? So a child who may be in Burke’s class is what, ignored? Burke simply doesn’t engage this student in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

You don't use pronouns to address someone. It is normally talking about them, school reports etc.

He could easily interact with a pupil in his class who preferred not to referred to as he or she.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. I get that. Directly addressing them you wouldn’t be saying they and them, but indirectly addressing them you would. I wonder did this child/person also change their actual name…

so in the class talking about them you would normally say the person’s name or use he/she.

but isn’t there a thought process where transgender are asking people to say they/them in direct engagement? Which is kind of linguistically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Burke would probably refer to the pupil as "it".

Educate yourself by reading any article on the subject.

Apart from an initial period where a lot of them left out relevant facts, since then all reporting has included detailed information on the whole issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

Enoch isn't the only teacher who has been asked to do something they don't agree with. I'm sure there are many primary school teachers who would happily drop religion from the curriculum but they go through the motions anyway. It's no different to what many people do during their working lives. You can voice your objections to things your employer wants you to do but you disagree with. Maybe they'll listen, maybe they won't. But if they decide that they still want you to do the things you don't want to, you either do what you've been asked to do, or you start looking around for another job.

Knowing what the Burke family's views on many things are, you'd wonder what else Enoch will have difficulties dealing with in his school. It just happens that it was a pronouns issue was the one that kicked things off on this occasion.

Catholic priests like to be called ‘Father’. I don’t like calling them that because they’re not my father.

Imagine been told if you don’t call a priest ‘Father’ you’ll lose your job and go to jail.

Would anyone here be ok with that or is only one type of enforced language ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Theres no reason to believe he's a danger to children but he does seem to be an angry man

If anything happens at the school there will be questions asked.I don't believe he should be allowed on the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why did he accept the job if he disagrees with the school policies then?

The schools policies are very focused on inclusivity, equality and non discrimination.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He's an expensive sideshow. Courts, jail etc. and he's still on full pay.

Fine him and balance the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He was a number of years working in the school before the policy was put in place.

• Advertisement

He wasn’t jailed for calling or not calling anyone anything.

No there not. They’re very focused on pushing the trans agenda and excluding his beliefs and religion.

They also brought this in long after he took that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

Maybe because he wanted to pick this fight?

Why those on the interview panel thought it would be a good idea to offer him the job is another question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Someone explain why he's not arrested or is that he's not breaking the law

• Let’s be honest they’re just upset when they whip their lad out watching the women run around they won’t be able to know if it’s a woman or a “woman”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yeah, you did say EVs were more polluting than ICE vehicles, which includes Diesel. At least one of the threads is recent enough in the EV forum. You're the one telling porkies. Brake dust is less on EVs due to regen being on almost all EVs, so yes, it still is hilarious you brought it up.

You have in every comment twisted my words in this thread. You keep lying about that too. My concern is not the sport, the pageant, or anything other than men or women declaring themselves as the opposite sex in order to wedge themselves into events and unfairly compete against the rest of the group. That's not anti-trans, it's knowing what is fair and unfair and calling it out for what it is.

On the beauty pageant thing. Have a look at the photo and tell me who there looks the least healthy. Hint...it's the very fat man. I don't watch beauty pageants, but of those I have gleamed in print or online, I have seen plenty of girls and women who don't fit into your white criteria. Plenty of skin colours and ethnicities.

The real danger is when men get into contact sports. Although I don't care much for sport, seeing women being smashed up by men in the ring is not something to be championed and cheered and called "brave".

Stay Free

• Well I for one would feel no different if his behaviour mimicked the behaviour we see now. However it can’t be ignored that it’s a bit more out there when this involves a child. The part that you might be forgetting, everyone will know who this is (in the school) and they will be seeing and hearing all of this nonsense. How would that make a teenager feel now?

Cmon. You know this isn’t about religion. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

He is not arrested because the school has not complained about his presence yet. Presumably because they want to get on with the hearing next week and move on from this whole sorry mess in peace, and get back to the business of education.

Because he was suspended from his job because he wouldn’t bow down to someone who demanded what pronoun he used.

Dress it up how you like. He’s in jail because of his beliefs on trans dogma.

• Advertisement

He was suspended for his actions towards the principal though.

Advertisement