Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some people want Ukraine to surrender and be defeated by the orc's,

It's not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So what would this line be?

And all this equipment you mention can be in Ukraine in a day and cause Russia to surrender in a day?

I didn't know F16's had a 24hr crash training course!

At least Macron made a decent new years resolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

All we need now is people to stop telling us what the Russians social media accounts are claiming how the Russians are winning,

Bakhmut and soledar are prime examples Russians have taken them every night for 9 months so we're told

Yup, only hear of the Russian advances (as in they gained maybe 500m) then the next day UA push them back and that's not mentioned. Scroll through the timeline of the territory on the maps and it's a constant back a forward for land.

We're now peak propaganda where Russia loose a major city, Kherson (the only major city they took) so now taking a village/town for them is a win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Sick of checking twitter for news. Latest info full of Russian bots. Of course posting videos showing bad losses for Ukrainians but when you scroll past the first 20 replies which are also bots you see over half these videos are actually Russian soldiers suffering.

Bakhmut and co have held on now for about 2 and a half month's of non stop attacks. I just hope the frontline hasn't shifted to Kramatorsk come march or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

There will be more opposition demonstrators against this meeting taking place, than the deluded numbers attending. It's outrageous that a church will be allowing these Putin supporting warmongers to enter a place of worship.

Post edited by purplepanda on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Russians are fighting for what,they don't know, whats the end game ,they don't know, what's the current plan,they don't know.

Of course they know what they're fighting and dying for. From the top down, to the grunts in the field on Telegram, they say they're fighting and dying for Russia. They see Ukraine, particularly east and south Ukraine as Russia. They see Crimea as Russian as Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. That and fighting against their "subhuman scum", "nazis" in Ukraine and all that nonsense.

And the cherry on top they think they're fighting against NATO and more they think they're in an existential struggle of Mother Russia against the "decadent West" that they must win or Russia herself falls and what few children they have will be put in Gay education camps or something. They're very clear about all this and putin and his spin minions constantly reinforce these points.

Maybe some take some kind of simplistic comfort to think of them as orcs, mindlessly ploughing on, but it's bollocks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Jesus, for a few seconds there I thought that was a North Korean recruitment video aimed at Chairman kims Mini Micks.

Dan.

Sounds Orc like thinking to me.

If it rages and acts like an Orc… it’s an Orc.

Regardless of the origin/reason for them acting like Orcs (raping, torturing, looting, war crimes) it is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭zv2

A note on Prystaiko's statement on losses. They include civilian and military losses and physical damage. They don't tell about military casualties-

The Ukrainian ambassador to the UK, Vadym Prystaiko, called his country’s military and civilian losses “enormous and indigestible.” Because of this, the diplomat believes, the Ukrainian leadership should not stop at compromise peace talks, and hostilities should continue until complete victory and the return of all territories occupied by the Russian army.

“We have been at war for almost a year … We are losing people right and left. We do not advertise how many of the missing are military or civilian, but you can imagine that the numbers are huge, indigestible. And the cities, some of them are completely destroyed,” Mr. Prystaiko said about the consequences of the hostilities in an interview with Newsweek.

Ukrainian ambassador to Britain announced huge and indigestible losses (postsen.com)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If they are so keen to remove Western influence they can start by giving back all the planes they stole.

Then maybe all the electronics that all their machinery depends on.

Anyway, no one really questions Russia's stamina - aka complete indifference of their leadership to the mass suffering of their troops. Thankfully, I do question their competence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

It's like losing Bray and saying nothing but making a big song and dance because you recaptured Loughlinstown.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SilvaMuppet

Ahh here.... i rarely post and mostly lurk (only created a boards account months ago in order to DM a question to a person)

but THIS atrocity has lured me out

Taking it slightly off thread (won't do it again)...but Loughlinstown is worth making a song and dance about. Bray i could take or leave. But Loughlinstown has the Roma chipper, the Lough Inn , pitch and putt course, Leisure centre and a hospital.... we'll also claim the old Silver Tasse (now Whelehans wine bar).

Bray? In the words of a generation behind me...whatevs.

So if your analogy is apt, then i can kind of understand the horde bigging up that gain. (apologies for the tongue in cheek post on a reasonably serious thread)

<shrug>

The Orcs knew what they were fighting for too. They were fighting for Saruman and Isengard/Mordor. In war both sides have always had nicknames for each other, whether it be "Charlie" in Vietnam, "Jerries", "Tommies", "Amis", "Nips" and "Eyeties" of WW2, or "Crapauds" vs "Goddams" in the Iberian Peninsula two hundred years ago. It's a feature of warfare. Doubtless the Romans in the ranks at Cannae had a nickname for the Carthaginians too (for the few hours of life that remained to them, that is). It's a feature of warfare.

As to this current war, I don't use the term Orcs myself, but given the actions of Russian forces since February last year, it's not hard to see parallels, in some cases even surpassing the darkest imaginings of Tolkien himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"You're drunk on the western cool-aid."

Real westerners know it's spelled Kool-aid, tovarisch

(Excellent post, sir. My compliments.)

Actually my wife works in Loughinstown and I think Bray is way over-rated so I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said. Although in the interests of balance, it must be said that Loughlinstown is somewhat lacking in the seafront department. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I have to agree with Wibbs. Ruzzkies look at the old 50-100 yo maps and think that all those countries/regions like UA, Baltics, East Germany, Aliaska were "stolen" from them. When you are the biggest country in the world by area, its easy to play "the rest of the world is against you/jealous" card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are being given an extremely garbled version of their own history by state propaganda. They never invaded anywhere in the last 100 years, they were only ever a force for good and any territory they lost was illegally stolen from them. Against this relentless brainwashing, it's easy to see why the serfs would buy into the idea of Ukraine being a "Nazi" state which poses a huge threat to them and which had to be invaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More of this Putinesque "the West is bad" quackology again

Russia's economy is contracting, their have lost the lucrative Western energy market, they are sanctioned to the hilt, they are reliant on China/India who are paying much less for energy than we did, they have difficulty sourcing vital components and imports, they have difficulty servicing the air fleet they stole, they are international pariahs.

None of this is to "bankrupt" Russia or make them disappear or any of that nonsense. It is to reduce Putin's war-chest and his capacity to wage war on Europe. He's already reliant on foreign mercenaries, sending prisoners to the front-line, Iranian drones and has had to dig up 50 year old T-62 tanks, so yeah, it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Historical lands" are a thing with a lot of countries and are an easy way to stir up nationalistic fervour. Trouble for Russia is that I know of nowhere within the former eastern bloc where a majority of a state's population would like a closer relationship with Russia. A big side effect of Russia's corrupt and authoritarian nature has been a severe hindrance to its ability to project soft power, since other countries will look at the ensuing economic and social stagnation for ordinary people and back away a little bit. It has tried to balance that with pumping oligarch money into foreign investments, mineral exports and flexing some military muscle, but that has fallen short. Feeling out of options, it has resorted to more overt military moves, but the blowback from that has caused further economic and international isolation, leaving it in a worse place than it began this escapade, and essentially trying to dig itself out of quicksand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

They held the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi and World Cup in 2018….😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Russia now claiming they killed 600 Ukrainian soldiers in a revenge strike. You have to laugh. Like a kid saying my Dad is bigger than your Dad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You appear to have fully gone down the western rabbit hole wibbs. You're drunk on the western cool-aid.

I'm afraid not. I just look to the realities. You certainly won't hear go go on about "orcs" or "hohols" for that matter.

The supreme arrogance of so many people in the west, that we think cutting off ties with Russia means that their nation will simply crumble and disintegrate before our eyes...

OK, let's look at the realities. Russia has been "cut off" from the "west" for most of her history. They missed out or were way off on the sidelines for massive cultural shifts like the renaissance, the reformation, the enlightenment. When people like Peter the Great tried to get them up to speed, it succeeded, but only in the west of the country and to much resistence and much of it surface. They were the last European feudal society and that lasted into the middle of the 19th century and the attitudes of that lasted until the Russian people removed their oppressors. They were part of the modern world and a superpower during Soviet days, but that didn't last so long and collapsed in a heap. And what arose was a bit too much like the old order for comfort.

Russians and Ukrainians are very similar people - it's in their dna - they know how to suffer and struggle. (I know many people on here won't like me saying this, but it's the truth)

I agree, but where will that get them? In WW2 they had the demographics to come back from those appalling losses. They don't now. And this is muy importante. You can't outrun demographics. It's about the best crystal ball to foretell the future. Russia's birthrate has fallen off a cliff. How much does the Russian government pay women to have kids? They know it too and yet the decline continues. Russia has one of the highest abortion rates on the planet. I isn't the usual trend of get richer have fewer kids either. This decline is seen across the board, even in dirt poor rural areas of Russia. This stupid war has hastened this decline. How many tens of thousands have left? Adding to the existing yearly drain of the young and educated? Never mind the tens of thousands of young men who will be killed in this silly war. And this noble suffer and struggle stuff is likely to lead to hundreds of thousands dead by the time this is over.

Ah but Europe has a declining birthrate you say? Yep it does, but there is one major difference. People want to come to Europe. If Europe fully opened the floodgates that number would be in the millions. Nobody wants to go to Russia and even fewer will now. Millions of Ukrainians have been displaced by this war into Europe. Russia seems to have thought this would soften resolve and they got that wrong too. Many of those will ultimately stay in Europe.

In the long run, Russia will probably be better off without western co-operation and interference. They have their own culture and way of life, they don't really need us.

They didn't to a far greater degree during the Soviet empire. They were largely sefl contained with more than double the people and mostly young people, a command economy that worked well enough, if way behind western living standards, especially beyond the cities. But that was before the level of globalisation since and of course the fall of their empire. Today is a very different prospect. Take something mundane like Telegram, the platform that many Russians use. Built by two Russians, one of whom now lives in the decadent west, that runs on western platforms and tech. Oh sure much of it is built in places like China, but the licences and tech behind it is overwhelmingly western. And that's just a web platform. Russia is at least a decade behind the west in chip tech and production, they're not even on the maps of IT in general. They have some fantastic programmers but how many of them leave the first chance they get?

And they have their own abundant resources too. You seem to be forgetting that this war will also bring about the end of western control of Russia - something many hardliners within Russia have wanted for decades. And it's a disaster for the Americans in particular and their desire to maintain the western international order as well as their own position as the global police force. Another dangerous nation that is non co-operative with the west. (it's a rapidly growing list - thanks in no small part to ineffective western foreign policy)

The "west" wasn't interested in controlling Russia. If they were they would have delivered a coup de grace in the 90's. They didn't. This is putin BS to keep the populace afraid of The Other. Something that has a very long history in Russia. International order is Western I'm afraid. From universal human rights to modern economies to the world of tech. It's pretty much all "western". America world police is a holdover from the Cold War and with a large sideorder of economics. The problem for the anti westerners and anti America types in particular is that America doesn't rely on it. You see some online going on about the US and Bretton Woods bla bla, "unipola worlds", while forgetting that ended in the early 70's and America inc kept going.

And again America is paying a bargain price to watch Russia bleed out men and materiel without Americans coming back in bodybags.

And as regards this conflict, I think many people are going to be in for a bit of a shock with regards to Russia's stamina for this fight... western propaganda has caused many of you to vastly underestimate a group of people who really should not be underestimated.

Oh this will likely go on for years. It's Russia's last gasp at waving the sabre around. See demographics above.

Like most people, I hope for a peaceful resolution to this as soon as possible. But this will depend on attitudes in the west, just as much as those in the Kremlin.

That's easy. Russia leaves. Though I would still say leave Crimea to them. Not a popular point, but there it is.

I note you ignored my question earlier: Would tens of thousands of Ukrainians and Russians be dead, would cities and towns be levelled, would economies be in freefall, millions displaced, if Russia hadn't invaded? Yes, or No. That's the bald reality behind any of the spin from either side. If you say no, then it's you who is drinking the Kool-Aid(smuggled across the border).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Jesus Wibbs don't waste your time. Hes clearly a rereg troll, he just spreads ru propaganda. Soon he'll be gone and mar53/grumpyperson/a banned/new account will reappear with the same BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Explosion was reported near Dzhankoi

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭briany

Knowing how to suffer and struggle won't win you an offensive military campaign. You have to marry that some actual nous and ability to use logistics - two qualities which the Russians appear to lack. The ability to 'weather the storm' is one that benefits the defenders rather than the invaders, historically, and if grit is a quality both the Russians and Ukrainians share, the Ukrainians also have HIMARS and high morale to go with it.

And speaking of Russian stamina for the fight, Afghanistan says hello. Russians managed it for less than 10. The Americans managed it for 20, and it didn't even precipitate the collapse of their system of government. Maybe if the Russians had smoked more filterless cigarettes and lifted rusty weights in -20 weather they'd have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭wassie

If sports washing is an acheivement, then RuZZia is world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

So when all is said and done will u than answer these questions

• -why did a large No of Russians leave Ru during the last conscription round.
    • what % of one above went to Ru supporting ‘countries ‘ such as Belarus and not to ex USSR members and others not supporting countries in the current conflict?
    • why did we see a lot of disturbances during one above - eg women mothers/ wives / sisters fighting in the street to object to their men being taken away. People being shot/killed in ‘recruitment c’ centres
    • why do Ru , when going overseas for whatever reason, go towards the west b, be it Italy Ireland, France USA , Germany , France , etc , and NOT China, North Korea and some of the ex USSR states ?
    • Why has the Russians with ‘discretionary ‘ cash keep/ invest most of it in. The UK , USA, Germany , and other such western countries
    • etc
    • etc
    • etc
    • etc
    • you seem to be completely wrapped up in a time warp. Your typical Ru citizen may have been happy with their lot tens/hundreds of years ago BUT wait until they find out that there is another way of life out there - through the media ; friends/ family returning home ALIVE for holidays/ breaks/ business reasons- will they be BE ALLOWED to EVEN CONSIDER the other way of living?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement