Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tickets are selling fast it seems. The open stand and behind the goals won't be open so the stand will probably be full. There'll be a fireworks display.It should be a good evenings entertainment.Fair play to wexford getting lights up. Our county board are very Conservative when it comes to progressive thinking or getting the optimum from sponsorship. The recent shake up certainly wouldnt give me much optimism.kk have being going outside the county to train pre season which isn't good enough in 2023.

Best of luck to Derek and the lads.Hopefully he'll bring a bit of freshness and new ideas. It will be a big jump from u20 but at least he had the 20s comfortably playing against sweepers and a plan for puckouts.The first match is Sunday week at home to offally. All pre seasons are tough but from talking to a few people training has being very tough. It will also be a big step up for the few u20s that are called in so we'll need to have patience and although having them in around the senior setup now should benefit them some might be better concentrating on the u20 and see how they're going later in the year.i presume that silly rule still applies. I dont think Clifford or drennan are ready to make the breakthrough onto the senior team yet but it would be no harm if they got a bit of gametime during the league.

We all expected a few retirements but it seems everyone is going again.With 4 panel members gone from last year players will get opportunities. Lyng will be hoping David blanchfield and cian kenny fill out a bit and blanchfield and maybe darragh corcoran can nail down these wing back spots.As a former midfielder It will be intresting to see what he wil do with this troublesome position later in the year. The game has changed since his playing days obviously but he needs to try get some kind of balance here. I think Shane Walsh needs to be given a proper run In the fowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

7,000 tickets were sold by Xmas, Wexford CB did a big social media campaign promoting them as Xmas presents etc. I'd imagine if the demand is there they'll open the terraces, funnily a Kilkenny man is a big part of the organisation in Wexford with Gavin O'Donovan orginally from Dunamaggin the Operations Manager of the Wexford CB, he's from a accounting background, he's living in Wexford for a long time as he's married to Tony Doran's daughter, has been involved in bord na og in Buffers Alley for a good few years where his children play.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Great achievement by the Irish handball team in the USA. Two Kilkenny lads, Kyle Jordan and Anthony Clifford involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Do we have anything definitive on the underage grades for this coming year? Will it be 2024 before even age grades are restored or will this happen this year coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Happy New Year lads, here's to Derek and the boys going one step further this year!

Any progress made on the decision to hire a performance manager that was advertised a couple of months ago?

Great to have a bit of hurling back this weekend. Won't learn a huge amount this time of the year but mikey butler started off corner back in the first round against laois last year and held onto that same Jersey in the All Ireland. Lads will hopefully be mad to grab a Jersey and hold onto it. There's around 60 lads involved at the moment. A number of this and last years u20 squad are in and while alot of this years squad mightnt make the breakthrough this year they're being exposed to heavy training. It will be an experimental team with fringe players,u20s and lads who have being called in after a good club campaign. Fringe players like matt kenny,niall brassill,James bergin,Shane Walsh and conor heary will want to make the next step and break into the matchday squad. Clifford and drennan were the two standout players at u20 so hopefully they will get some game time.

The stand has sold out for the wexford match in round 3. I presume they will open the terrace if the demand is there.

Few more tickets on sale tomorrow for anyone interested in going to the wexford match

https://twitter.com/OfficialWexGAA/status/1611037433755205637?t=4o4-kjZOyZ5VNursBDaOlQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny's team for the up and coming Walsh cup will be interesting. We badly need to find 2 midfielders. A centre back and a couple of forwards. we were destroyed in midfield and half back line v Limerick last year and other games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think you’re dead right, a centre back and new midfielders are badly needed! I’d assume there will be a lot of new/young lads used on Sunday and the coming weeks. I think it will help that Ballyhale lads will be back by the end of the month and a few of them might get a good run during the league, hopefully Ronan Corcoran will commit to the panel for the year. Does anyone know when Brian Coady is expected back from injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

It will be interesting to see what Padraig Walsh brings this year. Hard to see him get 70mins at the highest level anymore, had a poor year last year by his very high standards. Kilkenny have 5/6 lads in there 30s that need replacing. Paddy Deegan was very poor last year, and opposition usually get reward in knock out games later in the year against him, will he be used as a forward this year?

Paddy Mullen has to be an option midfield, outstanding for Shamrocks lately, im not sure where the best position for Cian Kenny is ?

Hopefully David Blanchfield and Darragh Corcoran step up to fill 2 positions in the backs with Mikey Butler, Hue Lawlor and Tommy Walsh. Darren Mullen has been very poor for club and maybe the Shamrock are a better team without him.

Billy Drennan should be given a prolonged run in the team. The other u20s who won the All Ireland seem to be a bit off yet. Maybe Timmy Clifford will get a run. Sean Purcell, Joe Fitzpatrick, Paddy Langton were all below average for club last year and looked very one paced. I didn't see much of Killian Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Killian Doyle is one year out of minor. He's nowhere near ready for senior intercounty regardless of his undoubted ability and I seriously seriously doubt Drennan is. On last look he needed another stone to be able to physically compete. A couple of Walsh Cup runs are fine but he's way off being ready for a "prolonged run" unless he's been turned inside out in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Have a feeling Lyng might have a look at Deegan midfield this year, has the physicality and fitness to be an enforcer of some sort, is well able to take a score also. I think most would agree that we have better out and out defenders than him. A midfield of him and Adrian Mullen might well be looked at.

Hard to disagree with this. Richie Reid is one of the best club number 6 in the country but It was a his first year nailing down a spot with the county after being tried everywhere and coming and going from the panel. He will probably hold onto the spot this year but with ballyhale lads gone for the first few league matches someone will get a chance.

We will look back at last year's final and regret not making a switch or trying something with our half back line getting cleaned out.Id be suprised if Lyng presists with deegan wing back.Adrian mullen is covering huge ground around midfield and that could be his best position but finding a consistent partner will be on Derek's wishlist.

Lyng will use the Walsh Cup with a few regulars along with fringe players and try get a bit of balance,hopefully a few clubs players who hurled well like bill sheehan,des dunne,Martin o neill etc get a run because as you said we need to find a few players.

Its a big year for lads like Conor delaney,Billy ryan,Alan Murphy who've being in and out and lacked consistency. Most of us expect corcoran and blanchfield to fill the wing back spots so that will bring its own pressure. Mossy had a good year last year hopefully he stays improving. We need a few fowards to take a bit of pressure off tj i thought his performance in this years final was outstanding.I wouldn't be expecting too much yet from last years u20 but aidan tallis,Sean Purcell and padraig moylan who are overage this year should get a run so now is the time to try blend them in and see how they go. Drennan and Clifford will hopefully get a run aswell.

I heard mick dempsey might be going in with cody as a selector with the village but don't know how reliable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

The system or set up Lyng and his management team use will be very interesting and important going frwd.

I hope we never again see a repeat of last years final set up, which imo was very,very naive. I was very similar to 2016 where our fb line was very exposed with no protection. In last years final it was our hb line that were left exposed with our midfielders following their midfield into our hf line while our fb line was in around the small square marking their ff line. Result....our hb line had 60m to cover with footraces left, right and centre. It was the platform to Limerick's success on the day, but we never changed a thing for 70 plus minutes.

I liked the way the u20s were set up last year with numbers dropping back and using the ball well going frwd with Drennan being a crucial outlet. I'd expect the seniors to adopt a similar set up this year. Even with the Shamrocks(good and all as they are), when they push up and try play 15 on 15 they are very beatable. Even looking at the Naas match as the perfect example, they were wide open for the 1st 20 minutes and shuold have gone in 6-8 pts down at ht. They then started dropping numbers back and crowded(helped) the defensive area and proceeded to do their thing. I'm a huge admirer of them but regularly see 11/12 players back in their own half turning over ball and going from their. Again they have ball winners everywhere and can get away with the direct ball to TJ/Colin.

Hugely impressed with Paddy Mullen this year and hopefully he's learned from his past mistakes. Doing a hell of a job in midfield with Shamrocks and if he can stay on the straight and narrow, he could provide KK with another option.

Looking frwd to the year ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

ccc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Not sure what to make of that team tbh just seems thrown together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Is there any chance the game will be streaming anywhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Have you attended Walsh Cup matches in the past where you might not even recognise most of the players names! The team for today is a great mix of experience and youth, and far from thrown together in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Cheers Robwen, €12 is a bit cheeky but there's two of us and just can't make it today 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

I don`t get this negativity about Deegan at all. He had a bad day at the office in last years final but he was one of our best players in the semi final. What let him down in the final was he knew he had to stick to Cody`s defensive mantra and Limerick had the tactical awareness to expose that. But he has been one of our best players for a number of years now, plus he has the versatility to play further up the field if required. There is too much hyperfocusing on the negative around here and not enough attention being paid to the bigger picture. It seems to be a feature of social media generally.

Decent run out for Derek's first match in charge. After about 15 mins it looked like we would run away with it but offaly stuck in there and kept tipping away at the scoreboard. Deegan worked well enough wing forward. A fortuitous goal from Ian byrne kept the few points between them throughout the game. Blanchfield on a good bit of ball in the middle. Bill sheehan and Billy drennan in the full forward line looked sharp. As always with the 1st day out of the year conditions are never going to be great but the lads got the win. Lawlor strong full back. Those around him and the rest of the newcomers will have a few more chances to impress in the coming weeks.

Typical Walsh cup match.Conditions tough for both teams. Offally will be dissapointed to come away with nothing. The slow start coupled with a soft goal and 12 or 13 wides probably cost them. KK started well and got a fortuitous goal through Ian byrne. Billy drennan also started very well but offally played some good hurling just the end product let them down which is expected from a team in a lower division. Johnny Kelly Is a good manager hopefully he can get them back in the Liam Mccarthy.

Great to get back at a match again and a good crowd in callan. All teams going through heavy training but some kk players were very tired half way through and they brought on padraig Walsh,butler,Alan Murphy plus a load of other lads. Deegan gave phelan a lovely ball for the goal.

The whole purpose of this competition and the league to try find a few players. Great to see Billy drennan and Co getting a run and most of the players are in good shape.Buckley was on a lot of ball and sheehan and drennan had good moments. Niall brennan also tried hard. Matches will come fast so hopefully there'll be plenty of fresh faces over the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Deegan doesn't have the game to play in the backs. He's an awkward hurler who is effective on his very best days. He was roasted in last years final. There's nothing negative about that fact . He gave away 3 frees..ones to Hegarty and Hayes when the game was in the melting pot. I dont understand how he keeps getting accommodated. Interesting team today. I wonder has Blanchfield strengthened up abit. He's got alot of potential but he's a rake and really shouldn't be so far behind in his conditioning. Brasil corner forward...how many times has he been tried.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Bradsil didn't play or come on

Blanchfield has filled out a bit but some lads don't fill out as much as others. Joey holden is the same shape for the last 10 years. We've being slow with s&c and last year was first time I remember the u20s being more physical then the opposition. Deegan played alot of hurling around midfield today.

The size of some of the kk lads up close even lads like drennan and moylan who came on they looked to have filled out a good bit already.

I thought brasil came on with about 15 mins to go?

Im nearly certain padraig moylan and Evan cody came on near the end In defence. Moylan got a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I don't think bulking up is necessarily a good thing for all players or even an indication of true strenght. Declan Hannon could be considered slight by intercounty standards but is plenty strong. He's a very similar height and build to Blanchfield and has 8 years more s+c on him. I'd have no fear for Blanchfield, plenty of hurling in him.

Advertisement