Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I haven't seen any reports online as of yet and you'd imagine if he said anything derogatory about Anne Andrew or Ed that it would be out there at this stage.

I'd say he has very little inside knowledge of the Andrew affair as this came to a head when Harry himself was at loggerheads with the Queen Charles and William so I'd doubt he got to hear the inside track, and who in their right mind would have confided to Harry at that point.

After that, Harry is just a nephew and considerably younger than Anne Andrew and Edward- I'd doubt he had too many dealings with any of them, especially Anne, considering they were all mostly travelling the world on official duties and only saw them a few times a year at family gatherings.

If he's said anything about Anne that's not complimentary i would not like to be Harry right now- Jayzuz she's not a woman to be crossed 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Harry is doing himself zero favours.He keeps going on about reconciliation, but how can anybody in his family try and talk to him when they know it will end up in the next interview or Netflix show that he does, to be criticized and mocked as not good enough or weird?Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And did nobody sit down and critique that book with him before it was published??And drum a bit of common sense into him about not saying things like how many people he killed, and the rest? I won't be buying it and haven't a whole pile of sympathy for any of them but I do think on a personal level his behaviour is fairly shocking - he has badly hurt people who do love him and I'd say it will be a long time before that will have a chance of healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is anyone under the age of 50 reading or buying newspapers anymore?

Harry and Megan seem to think it's still the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Huh? You don't think the tabloids have websites and are all over social media?? Possibly you are the one who thinks it's the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think I saw somewhere recently that the Daily Mail made 50m last year. Other publications may not make money and are used by their wealthy owners to manipulate public opinion. For instance, the British press support the Tories who support tax cuts and legislation that favours them. Rupert Murdock wanted Brexit because he could manipulate whoever was in Downing Street, but he could not manipulate those as easily in Brussels!

Just on new media, internet. Bot Sentenal did a report that there were something like 80 Meghan Markle hate accounts on Twitter/You Tube and that just four of them make close to $500K spewing hate about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Only this so far. In short, he tells Meghan they're assured of security after what happened to his mother and despite his Uncle facing a sex scandal he kept his security.

Also a bit where Meghan doesn't recognise Andrew and mistakes him for one of the Queens aides.

Its too late for reconciliation. The right time to have done that would have been when they were told they were fully in or fully out and not cut their security with little warning. Charles, his father, is a very wealthy man and you would think he could have covered the cost of his security until they got themselves settled instead of having to rely on the kindness of strangers.

I think what Harry is doing is getting it all out there so that the tabloids have nothing to use against him again. Its all out there (though judging from the reaction of the palace sources who seem relieved at what he has said, there is a lot more they could have said, i.e., who is the racist who questioned how dark the baby would be and perhaps he could have said some stuff about Williams alleged infidelity).

The full extract about the Taliban kill has been released. Its very thoughful (and well written). Worth a read to get the context and a good demonstration how the British media sensationalise everything.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/harry-book-exclusive-25-taliban-kills-read-full-extract-144021236.html

I saw something about Andrew, but only in the context of if the RF were not pulling Andrew's security considering the scandal he had created for the RF, they would hardly pull his. From what I gather from various commens out there, he has stuck to his own story and not dished the dirt on anyone else. I'd also imagine that he wouldn't want to upset Beatrice & Eugenie who he seems very close to by having a go at their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I was actually thinking about your last point this morning - what was he thinking talking about his confidential army career ?

It was irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think they are fuelling much of the dislike for H & M, yes. People definitely are influenced in their opinions by media and social media and there is an absolute avalanche of negative stuff coming in the pair's direction from the English right wing press. There may well be a huge element of cynicism in this too. The likes of the Mail and GB News probably aren't even that pushed about the couple one way or the other, but reckon a non stop hate campaign is good for sales and TV ratings.

• Advertisement

There is no love on a human level in that family. I agree with you that it won't harm the institution very much. I remember watching a renenactment of the last Queen's corananation on Netflix (fairly accurate as the cornation was filmed at the time) and it was very cultish / religious focussed, similar to the ordination of the pope or the canonisation of some deity. It probably worked ok last time as the Queen was very young and had not acquired any baggage, unlike Charles and William have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So Charles has no love, is incapable of love, feelings for his sons and grandchildren?

William has no love, feelings for his father and brother?

Harry has no love, feelings for his father and brother?

They’re human beings. No different than any other human beings as regards having the capacity to love and hurt and feel and regret.

GB News is a nothing. No one watches it. Completely irrelevant. It's losing so much money. It's on the verge of folding up.

It is true the Mail has a large online audience so they are pretty influential.

The other traditional tabloids like The Sun, The Mirror, The Express have a very small online presence and dwindling sales in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Harry was worth a reported $30 million in inheritance at the time of Megxit and he was reportedly given £2 million from Charles when leaving. Take even a fraction of their media deals and you're talking a mid-range Euromillions jackpot level of financial security there. Plenty to afford private security with. I suppose there comes a point when he has to stand on his own two feet as well if he wanted out. The school of thought where ultra wealthy parents fund their kids with enough to be free to follow their own paths but not so much that they are so rich they do nothing perhaps. His father actually should be giving them an annual payment for private security, or at a minimum contributing, since he is a Prince but they bought a $14 million house and this was before any of their ventures were commercially successful. They have a lifestyle which they want to retain. They can afford security with even these tens of millions they've gotten commercially surely.

Post edited by valoren on

Love/family is secondary to the institution. The whole family have been brutalised by the institution (Margaret not being allowed Townsend, Ann not being allowed marry Parker-Bowles (he was catholic), Charles not being allowed marry Camilla. Charles forced into a loveless marriage. All (except Edward) of the Queen's children ending up divorced. William having to marry Kate (he waited 10 years) because no one else would put up with the shite they have to put up with. Same with Harry, Meghan was the only one that would take it and lucking for them, they could get out.

Cutting their security isn't the actions of a loving family.

You are full of shite, ya said earlier nobody buys tabloids its in the context of oh why do harry and Meghan care about the hate it's not the 90s. Daily mail was the 11th most popular website in Britain Dec 2022, the mirror 27th and the Sun 32nd oh and the Express 40th. Absolute huge online presences. Don't just write lies dude. Opinions of course are fine but lies are just a bit ****. Doesn't help your argument.

What lies have I said?

Your list of the numbers just makes my point. Express is number 40! Tiny presence.

And I said the Mail does have a big online presence.

You're not able to debate if you accuse someone of lying with your aggressive posts.

Number 40! That's websites in general, not news websites. You did lie. Course you did.

cutting the security was very mean. And I think you are quite right , family does not come first we this lot. Not at all.

• Advertisement

what a brilliant riposte from you! Found out as being wrong and then calls the other person a child. If you think being the 32nd and 40th most visited websites in Britain is a tiny online presence then I've no clue what to say to you. You were wrong , maybe you didn't lie.

I'm glad you've the maturity to admit that you were wrong when you called me liar.

It's a pity you had to jump to such dramatic conclusions in your posts. You must be reading too much British tabloid crap.

Netflix and the book writers wanted gold and I’d imagine any critique would be binned

Okay so are you going to be mature enough to say you got it wrong?

The only reason Edward isn’t divorced is his wife is integral to the “firm” , he was riding an actress for a time during his shiwbiz years

Ah now I think we have found the child. You probably did just blatantly lie after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The royal family didn’t cut the security as they don’t decide who gets it.

and because of the shite that many of them went through is why I personally was in favour of them leaving the royal family as it’s a bizarre mess to be a part of, and then they did the Oprah interview which imo was a disaster as they for one didn’t name the person they alleged made the comments about archie, and disagreed on when that happened, how many times it was said, which surely are important things to have locked down.

Fair play to Edward - I thought he was the really boring one. So everyone of the males (bar Harry so far) have been unfaithful to their wives, including Prince Philip and then there are question marks over who is Andrew's biological father, so the Queen must have been carrying on royally as well. What a family.

• Advertisement

I think his family could have helped them out to get private security. Charles is a billionaire and could well afford to help get them out of where they were. My opinion is that they hoped with no security that they would come running back home. I wonder why Prince Andrew's security hasn't been pulled yet, despite the disgrace he has brought to the family? I find it impossible to believe that the Queen or Charles could not have arranged some protection for them until they could set themselves up to look after themselves.

Advertisement