Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,348 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jmayo, I'd be very happy for them to tighten up on the IP applicants and to get them processed and the chancers thrown out quick smart.

When someone comes in roaring and shouting about Ukrainians and trying to mix them all in together then that is creating a distraction. But if you really want to be part of the "welcome mat brigade" then that is what you will do. It is your prerogative to support them on that if you wish

I don't know how anyone, with even an tiny bit of undestanding, could have expected that it would be mainly Ukrainian women and children applying for IP. So what's the point of trying to distract from any possible solutions by adding that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

The only poster that has been ranting on this thread has been you and as for 'nutjobs' coming in and shouting over other posters, well if that's not pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is.

Lol. Because I pointed out you were talking crap with your assertion that most people thought that the majority of IP applicant would be Ukrainian women and children

Lol again. Because it deserves more than one

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I wasn't surprised that jamyo's comment hit a nerve and you needed the last word, I was surprised that you suggested that I was ranting when I clear wasn't, and you clearly were, with your use of multiple question marks and passive aggressive tone.

I also noticed that you rather conveniently ignored the question that I put to you several times, not that your opinion actually matters to me or the vast majority of posters on this thread, but since I'm a nutjob that is concerned about the arrival of thousands of undocumented single men from the likes of Georgia, Albania and North Africa.......what does a rational level headed person like yourself think?

Keep ranting away. All I did was point out that your statement was ridiculously and obviously incorrect. I don't know when I last posted on the thread before then. You can't expect to be taken seriously when you get the very very basics wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

2 more newbies involved in serious crimes. Another murder.

Won't be a peep about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There certainly wont be any conversation about what it means systematically. When Sarah Everard was murdered in London back in 2021, from that single act there was an immediate launch of "a national conversation on women's safety".

Fine as far as it goes, but there absolutely wont be any "national conversation" about this crime and what it means in wider terms. At best it will be just the fewest possible facts, nothing to see here, move along. People are attacked for "exploiting" deaths, but the hypocrisy is strong. Media turns up the volume when the victim and perpetrator suits their narrative, and turns it all the way down when it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its front page news all over the country. First story on the news on the radio and its the top story on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

I mean there won't be a peep regarding the fact that it's only a week into new year and multiple non nationals have been arrested and charged for murders, multiple stabbings and serious assaults.

Way way over represented in early crime statistics.

Don't be a racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It is curious how the nationality of the deceased is mentioned but not of the murderers.

It's pretty consistent as well.

Not sure why only one is important to inform people of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just saw that and came to post it..

100% male

100% adults, early / mid 20’s to around early 40’s

Just so sick of this country and everything about it.

on the way to each bus load.. housing, medical card, social welfare, and a host of supports.

ohhh and an Irish passport…

Feel exactly the same. I cant see anything other than a total kip very very soon. Look at Sweden. It took one year to totally change the complexion of it. The anger is even now being replaced as acceptance and a plan to move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Ballymun got it aswell today. A bus load. Same bus company. Put into apartments that were recently deemed to be "unsafe"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The fact you can stab someone and not get deported just blows my mind. What sort of soft touch idiots are running this?

How has the number of passports being destroyed not rang alarm bells earlier.

Also would be very much in favour of a national id card, we are way too lax on security.

Where is any opposition party on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It is a shame it took the deluge of violence that inevitably accompanies mass immigration on this scale and of this character to draw public attention to the breathtakingly irresponsible nature of governmental policy on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The sad thing is we actually can't help genuine people fleeing wars who be happy to come here and start afresh and actually be grateful.

The 100% blame for me is with Government, Media and NGO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tourists not coming near Dublin due to sky high hotel prices, multinationals n hospitals etc finding it increasingly difficult to convince skilled and in demand workers to come here due to nowhere to rent reasonably. Government renting everything going for the likes of these.

When the corporation tax bonanza goes bang we are up s#$t creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Big protest there this evening

the movement appears to be getting bigger by the day. Can see it progressing from peaceful protests soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

To the extent that any crime is reported----and I suspect most isn't---its always reported in the most minimalist and matter-of-fact way. Often, the "journalists" don't even report facts; the articles are written so cryptically, you have to read between the lines (e.g., "a male living in Ireland since 2017," or "a person aged 29 whose family lives abroad".) Now, compare that to the tiresome and seemingly endless reporting on Enoch Burke or the Regency killing!

But which is more important from a public policy perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But which is more important from a public policy perspective?

The nature of the criminal offence is most important from a public policy perspective, certainly it is of greater importance than the ethnicity or sex of the perpetrator(s).

By way of demonstrating it’s importance in determining and developing public policy in a multicultural society, one only needs to consider a multicultural society such as Singapore - it’s one of the most diverse societies in the world, and it also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world for all types of offences. It’s also one of the most densely populated societies in the world with a ratio of over 8,000 people per square kilometre.

That doesn’t happen by accident, but I’m fairly certain that how they achieve it just wouldn’t fly in the West where there the idea of having the freedom to abuse people who don’t share your opinions is of greater importance in Western societies -

https://www.fairobserver.com/region/asia_pacific/how-to-overcome-racial-tensions-55645/

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Well, there is nothing we can do about Irish criminals already here. So determining the crime rates of prospective immigrants is surely important, no, from a policy perspective? If they have disproportionately higher crime rates, I don't think its a good idea to attract more. But that's just my view.

To take a related issue, in recent years, the vast majority of HIV diagnoses are in immigrants (which has soared last year). That's surely useful information from a policy perspective, no? That surely indicates a burden on our health system, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Have a view of this

Rte assembling a rallying call to Young Scientist for the wrong reason. How wise, considering the climate of fear at the event a few years back that resulted in running battles and stampedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, there is nothing we can do about Irish criminals already here. So determining the crime rates of prospective immigrants is surely important, no, from a policy perspective? If they have disproportionately higher crime rates, I don't think its a good idea to attract more. But that's just my view. 

There’s plenty we do about people who commit crimes in this country regardless of their nationality? That’s a bizarre statement. No, determining the crime rates of prospective immigrants would be about as useful an exercise as reading tea leaves or attempting to predict the weather, and a complete waste of resources. Not to mention it would inevitably lead to these sorts of mistakes by authorities and medical professionals involved becoming more commonplace -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/60-000-for-roma-family-whose-blonde-son-2-was-removed-by-gardai-1.2397511

To take a related issue, in recent years, the vast majority of HIV diagnoses are in immigrants (which has soared last year). That's surely useful information from a policy perspective, no? That surely indicates a burden on our health system, no?

I take it this is what you’re referring to?

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2022/11/29/hiv-cases-hit-10-year-high-as-testing-and-migration-rise-after-pandemic/

It’s useful data in terms of public health policies, not so much in terms of any argument that it places any significant burden on our health system when not only are the numbers of people diagnosed with HIV as small as they are, but also the fact that there are numerous organisations which already provide services to people living with a diagnosis of HIV, including immigrants -

https://gcn.ie/free-hiv-treatment-in-ireland/

Far more important in terms of public healthcare policies and arguments about pressures on our healthcare system is the data for the prevalence of STIs among the general population -

Chlamydia is the most common STD type in almost all age groups, with 4,541 cases of the infection reported in the first half of the year. The only age group which did not have chlamydia as the most common infection was those aged 60 and older, who had 19 cases of genital herpes, compared with 17 cases of both chlamydia and gonorrhea.

People aged 20 to 24 had the highest number of reported cases of STDs at 2,398. Men accounted for more of the total number infected than women, at 4,673 to 3,108.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2022/07/14/number-of-sexually-transmitted-disease-cases-up-by-almost-45-in-first-half-of-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

This was it. “Stabbed at the higher options 😂” the video was tagged with, what sort of option is that. Quite the melee but even without the history nothing screams brain drain more then using drill rapper to promote your young bestest and brightest exhibition, could they not tap up semisonic or something. Different times I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

90% of voters on The Tonight Show are against this lunacy. That's alot of far right racists.

See in the coming years how democratic this country actually is…..

because it sure doesn’t seem very democratic right now… a dangerous and grim shift from democracy is what we are experiencing.

safety, wellbeing, wellness, choices and opportunity seriously becoming compromised…. The country we knew it’s probably dead and gone …

… it’s with O’Leary in the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

With housing at crisis point, a priority should be given to Ukranian refugees. People without passports who are not Ukranian should be told "Sorry not this time mister. We can't take you in".

There is simply no room. Unless they care to live in tents.

Advertisement