Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

This is madness at primary and arguably at all in a school setting - these same fanatics are the ones who say we need to take religion out of school and stop using school for religious instruction (which is fine) but then we replace it with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

No your position is so factually weak you won't comment on

1. Actual content of any teaching to young kids.

2. Zero comment on the care given to Irish kids in the Tavistock, which had to be shut down due to in part to the lack of evidence based treatment.

3. Zero comment on the post modern origins of gender ideology and it's complete fallacy. (Because there is inter sex people therefore sex isn't binary and there are many genders is more or less the kernel of it)

Most ordinary people in the real world don't take any interest in gender issues, that might change if it's pushed in primary schools.

What's driving this as a topic is virtual signalling on the left and culture wars on the right.

If people actually cared then addressing the Tavistock in particular and scientific based care for gender youth would be a good starting point rather than shouting bigot at anyone asking questions.

The best was the "childless middle aged man slur" in a discussion about the comments of a gay childless middle aged man with ministerial power over children's affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1 - I have in previous posts

2 - No one's asked me about Tavistock (I'd argueis not relevant - we're talking about education of all kids, not counselling or transitioning trans kids)

3 - No one's asked ne about "the post modern origins of gender ideology" either and no idea what you're talking about or why it's relevant. Pretty sure it's not being considered for the classroom agenda, could be wrong.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Many of us were very naive when we agreed with them and said that it shouldn't happen as it's indoctrination. We thought that they wanted religion removed out of an anti indoctrination principle, when it reality it was the hatred of the Church and the power that the Church had. It literally had nothing to do with being against indoctrination, and everything to do with them having the power to do their own indoctrination.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a show on the yesterday channel called "abandoned engineering". One of the regular experts is someone who transitioned from male to female. My son used to watch the show quite often when he was 4, before it turned into another WW2 show. Anyhow he noticed the female expert that sounded like a man. I talked about it to him. He seemed to be pretty well able to handle it and continued enjoying the show.

I don't get why people seem to have such a complex on topics such as gender, sex and sexuality with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think people are on edge about transgender issues because of how difficult it has become to discuss them without being labeled a transphobe.

In particular the discussion last year that took place around female only spaces and redefining expectant mothers as pregnant people and calling women who objected to these things TERFS was a watershed moment in the discussion of trans issues in Ireland.

Ireland is a very tolerant and progressive country on the whole so with that in mind it is telling that even in modern tolerant Ireland the over zeolous approach to pushing trans issues at the expense of everyone else in society is being met with opposition.

No rational person is pushing an anti trans agenda, but there is a point where things like trans education in primary school just feels hollow and tokenistic.

Glazers Out!

True, but te flip said is that, as soon as you mention anything trans in the terms of education and awareness, it's an "agenda" or an "ideology".

Some - not all - of the posters here opposing the idea are transphobes on the basis that they are clearly uncomfortable about the entire concept of transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Exactly. Transgender is not a complicated subject. Kids understand it, for some reason posters here dont.

Transgender is something that exists in the real-world. There is no reason to hide it from kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Who said anything about hiding it? Nearly every post here is along the same lines; parents are free to teach what they want to their kids, and that it simply should not be the role of the state to do so.

Many of the pros too seem to frame this as simply a teacher telling kids that trans kids exist and should be accepted. There's no way in the world that it will be that limited, if it was I doubt there'd be as much contention.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Gender Ideologues shouldnt be indoctrinating our children. Any resources available for primary school are made on advice or in consultation with the trans activist groups in Ireland all of whom promote the affirmative model of care. That involves following the childs lead and affirming them because the child knows who they are - it happens as follows - 1. social transition 2. puberty blockers 3. cross sex hormones and whatever surgery when they are of age. If between 80 and 90% of children desist following puberty why on earth are we following that model of care?

The only study from tavistock (they failed to study or follow up with every patient in an experimental treatment) that was eventually released following a court injuction saying it was in the public interest tells us that over 98% of children who start pubery blockers go onto receive cross sex hormones.

Social transition that happens in primary school is the first step on a medical pathway for the rest of their lives. If an adult affirms a childs mistaken beleif then its a seed that grows, the pathway back from that becomes harder if a child is socially transitioned early in childhood. Children are not short adults their brains are not developed enought to understand the implications of what they feel and their feelings change they have no reference point for feeling they are born in the body of the opposite sex. The only refernece they have is gender sterotypes liking dolls if they ar e boys and wanting short hair cuts if girls etc.

All Adults have to provide safeguarding for kids. Every parent in Ireland should have a say in what is being taught to their child and its not unreasnable armed with the full information and evidence of the absolute wanton disregard that this ideolgy has for children that parents would not want it taught in thier schools.- if I was a parent in Ireland the last place I would seek advice is the trans charities of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Enoch Burke is the person to write the curriculum/teaching strategy for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Like his mother wrote his when he was home schooled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Insults apart - would you be capable of answering the questions I posed?

If you can't, just say so. Lack of knowledge or ability is not a cause of shame, although pure ignorance may well be.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MilkyToast threadban lifted

As you haven't referenced any specific post of mine here, I'm not sure why you mention me here, but I'll take a guess that it's due to a post where I asked you what knowledge you thought was needed/appropriate for children in answer to some opinions of yours.

So why don't you respond with further opinions. They don't have to be specific, just generally "kids in the first cycle of primary school could be told X, in the second cycle Y" etc. In your opinion - I'm not asking you to be terribly specific, a few generalities would do.

As for a "trans woman" being a woman - I'm not aware that the science has done anything there.

In first place - a boy's body conditions a certain number of things, and a girl's conditions certain others. Their life experience is different as a result, despite much overlap. Puberty then adds other factors which further conditions bodies and minds.

Of course a "trans woman" may feel they are a woman, but they cannot be sure, as they have not had the full female experience from birth. Inevitably they will lack certain experiences that a biological woman has had. They will not know with certainty how closely they share a woman's lived experience. Consider such things as menstruation; how unnerving walking home at night can be; men pushing unwanted attention on a woman; not taking shortcuts through laneways even in daylight ("You've a fine pair on you darlin'. I'd like to f**k you till they fall off"). Guys waggling their junk at you, even in what they imagine to be a jokey way - have you lived all of these experiences? And that's without getting into actual physical unpleasantness or worse.

He's endorsing an ideology that does exactly what I've explained above, the central tenet of which is that boys and girls can be born in the wrong body, boys and girls can have a brain that's the opposite to their sex.

1.Do you agree with social transition of primary school children and setting children on the medical pathway for life?

2. Do you agree that children have the capacity to decide they have been born in the wrong body?

3. Do you agree that the past ten years we have medically experimented on children because adults failed to safeguard them?

It's an idelogical viewpoint which I'd hazard a guess the vast majority of parents would dismiss as harmful nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The x and y chromosomes have the overarching solid ground. A man cannot become a woman or vice versa because of this. They can assume or identify as one or the other, but that's it. Sex determines what and who you are, not gender which is an identity and state of mind only, no matter how much a trans person pretends to actually BE of another sex.

Fantasy Island. Respect for such people is all that should be encouraged in schools, nothing else.

If only equal weight was given to other more pressing issues in schools such as investing in them. I think it is a distraction mechanism. Look - over there, it's a man who identifies as a woman with all his bits intact, but no matter, s/he is a woman. How many trans are there here? Oh one or two.

Where did the trans power and indoctrination of the media and politics come from? Just look at Scotland, and what their parliament is planning in relation to trans. It is unreal. Women don't get a say at all. So transwomen will have rights, at the expense of women's rights. Sounds like a plan!

This is what you claimed in your original point would in the classroom:

Any resources available for primary school are made on advice or in consultation with the trans activist groups in Ireland all of whom promote the affirmative model of care. That involves following the childs lead and affirming them because the child knows who they are - it happens as follows - 1. social transition 2. puberty blockers 3. cross sex hormones and whatever surgery when they are of age.

Which means you haven't read the post I refered you to.

Quesion one is irrelevant, question two depends on the age of the child and question three is.... bizarre.

• Advertisement

Would have been the post at the rop. I'm sure you know what "basics" means. If you want specific answers, you'll need to talk to an educational pyschologist wit experience in the specific field (and no, I don't need to be one to comment).

If someone thinks Irish should be taught in schools, they don't need to have to actually speak irish or be able to provide ideas based on specific linguistic formats and education theories, do they?

Well, there's one poster I won't be engaging with again any time soon.

If you're going to ignore the points made, what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get why people seem to have such a complex on topics such as gender, sex and sexuality with kids.

Some might say it's the people who seem so desperate to 'teach it' are the one's with the complex.

Personally I think it would have been akward for me if the subject of homosexuality came up in school while I was going though my sexual developmental stages and don't in the slightest bit feel I was 'excluded' because I didn't get any sexual orientation education at school.

I did read you post. You are said he is not advocating endocrine intervention.

Question 1 is very relevant its the affirmative care model advocated by belong to and tenei both trans advocacy groups in ireland, its what a parent who contacts them will be advised to do,

At what age do you think a child has the capacity to decide they have been born in the wrong body and then had the capacity to understand the implications of social transition?

Question 3 is bizarre its also true if you had told people 20 years ago that off label damaging drugs would suppress the puberty of a healthy child before they received cross sex hormones and had healthy body parts mutilated by doctors to change their bodies to match their "brains" you'd have thought it was a science fiction movie, thankfully most people are waking up to this madness its unfortunate that so many children will have been damaged by people in authority.

You said they're going to be teaching kids what drugs are available wen transitioning - I'm calling bullshit on that until you show me some kjnd of written or spoken message from the minister where it';s stated that social transitioning, puberty blockers an cross sex hormones are on the syllabus. (That or I've misunderstood you, in which case apologies - but please clarify)

Rearding age - pretty sure it's impossible to say, all kids are different. I've heard of cases where they've known from a very young age, but that's not saying they :"decided" and that's definitely NOT saying they actually "understood the social implications". Ending this part here because it's not relevant: they're not going to be transitioning in the classroom.

Not even entertaining the third one because of a combination of both reasons mentioned above.

We're talking about adding transgender issues to the curriculum, not transitioning kids. If you want to start talking about actually transition kids, then start a new thread and send me the link.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I can't see any way to teach "gender identity" to young children that would not:

1. Confuse them
    2. Teach sex-based stereotypes as good and normal
    3. Risk making feminine/neuroatypical boys and masculine/neuroatypical girls feel that they're somehow obligated to be transgender

In any case, I don't want my children taught from the activist's bible of absolute affirmation. It's not reflective of either societal or broad expert opinion.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What is 3, if it’s not based on 2, which inevitably leads to 1?

Children already learn about gender identity in schools when they’re not taught any different. They learn that boys are expected to conform to sex-based stereotypes, and girls are expected to conform to sex-based stereotypes, and any deviation from expectations based upon their perceived sex is abnormal.

That’s how as adults they come up with your ideas of ‘feminine boys’ and ‘masculine girls’… like those ideas aren’t entirely based upon sex stereotypes 😒

Neurotypical/atypical have nothing to do with that, again they’re standards based upon stereotypes of what constitutes normal and abnormal brains in human beings reflected in society and by broad expert opinion.

You’re not obligated to have your child taught anything. The discussion is about whether or not educating children about gender should be taught in more schools in Ireland than it is already, and Roderic was expressing support for the idea of children being more aware of diversity in Irish society. It’s arguably more confusing for adults than the idea it causes any confusion for children -

Catherine Cross, Education Officer of the Transgender Equality Network Ireland, says: "Sometimes it is just about supporting children where they are now - and not making a big fuss about whether this child identifies as a boy or a girl." Cross herself is the mother of a young man called Lucas who was born a girl, and made the transition as a teenager at secondary school. Lucas told his mother at the age of 15 that he was transgender before changing his name by deed poll.

Cross admits: "I struggled with it for two years and found it particularly challenging at first. I grieved the loss of my daughter. At the time, I had never even heard of a girl wanting to be a boy."

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exploring-gender-identity-in-primary-schools-37429108.html

I didn't say social transition puberty blockers and cross sex Hormones are on the syllabus I said they are relevant because for an informed decision to be made then the child must understand what the implications of following the gender affirming care model are, at what age do you think a child has the capacity to make and informed decision like that?

Of course the questions are relevant you can't introduce an ideology and then not be prepared to inform the children about the mechanics of it.. why wouldn't you tell them about puberty blockers??

The most vulnerable children to this ideology are children on the spectrum mamy of whom are obsessive in their thoughts when an idea is introduced it takes root and is obsessed over again and again, more often than not its social media that allows that obsession to grow.

You are talking about introducing gender ideology which has no measurable scientific basis into primary schools, you are introducing the idea as a person in authority as a person children look up to and trust that boys and girls can change their sex, you the adult are saying to a child who's brain has not fully developed and lacks critical thinking that a boy can become a girl the implications of rolling that out across the curriculum are unknown the only thing we can do is look to evidence where similar has been done - USA where gender pediatric clinics have sprouted up around the country and social contagion is "transing " kids up and down the country.

The nothing to see here move along attitude can no longer be denied with the number of young adults detransitioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

They learn that boys are expected to conform to sex-based stereotypes, and girls are expected to conform to sex-based stereotypes, and any deviation from expectations based upon their perceived sex is abnormal.

Sure. My opinion is that we should work toward disabusing children of the notion that deviation from sex-based stereotypes is abnormal, rather than confirming it by using some of the "spectrum" type educational resources I've seen put forward by trans activist groups. e.g.:

Neurotypical/atypical have nothing to do with that, again they’re standards based upon stereotypes of what constitutes normal and abnormal brains in human beings reflected in society and by broad expert opinion.

Neurotypical/atypical clearly have something to do with it, else the Indo wouldn't be reporting that "Up to 90pc of people using gender service may be autistic". What is the link, exactly? I've no idea. And nor do any of the people eager to teach children that people on the G.I. Joe end of the "gender spectrum" are boys. So maybe that ought to be looked at before diving headfirst into telling children that humans can change sex in any way other than the creation of a legal fiction.

We should definitely find out, with a good degree of certainty, if there is any risk that introducing ideas about changing sex to developing young minds has any chance of increasing the likelihood of a child transitioning. Particularly at a time when activist group WPATH, who are listened to by far too many governments and other institutions, are suggesting that double mastectomy at 15 is a-ok, as is surgically removing the genitals of someone who identifies with the (perfectly valid, according to WPATH) gender identity "eunuch" (Such is their influence that NHS Scotland had to apologise after wholesale adopting this "eunuch" nonsense into their trans healthcare guidance https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nhs-apologises-for-claiming-eunuch-is-a-gender-identity/). And at a time when an increasing number of children and young people are coming forward to express regret permanent and irreversible changes that have been made to their bodies via puberty blockers, wrong-sex hormones and surgery. Don't you think?

Post edited by MilkyToast on

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement