Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some of the protesters might be DCU students lmaooooooo. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Any proof that there’s wasn’t at least one student there? They would have a genuine reason to protest at the fact that free accommodation, meals, healthcare, weekly allowance is being given out to these people flying in from the likes of Georgia, Algeria or Albania while they are paying through the nose or struggling to make ends meet. If these benefits are been giving out to people who have stepped off a plane from a safe country, why aren’t they been given to students who are struggling to make ends meet, or worse - can’t even afford to even do their chosen course in Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not remotely classist. I witnessed it as I was trying to get home from shopping across the road. These people don't actually give 2 flying **** about the refugee situation and impact it has on local families. The hotel has been used to house homeless families, single men and women, addicts and alcoholics, and emergency student accomodation for a couple of years now at a cost to the state. There was **** all protesting then, when others from outside the immediate area were coming into it because they had the right passport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Students were across the road in their lovely apartments that are fitted out with Gyms, parking, lockers and all mod cons. Apartments that a few local shitheads decided last week was a good time to go ahead and tag them all with spray paint and the lidl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is other parts of Dublin getting any like the richer posher areas?

I think kids and women running from the Ulkranian war far enough but all these men coming in unvetted from non war areas needs to stop

Ireland can only take so many, a cap needs to be put on and better border control

Sorry if I come across racist but we need to have a limit, we are a small Ireland country

The stories from Killarney a quite peaceful tourist town is awful, we have enough Irish scum to deal with to deal with other countries scum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Because they're in university, and so most likely smart/educated enough to know that the blame lies with successive awful governments and policies, and not refugees or immigrants.

They're far more likely to blame their own parents voting habits than Albanians. Ffs

Or they’re educated enough to know that the number of asylum seekers that will be entering the country this year, the majority of whom will be bogus, is putting pressure on accommodation in this country, and perhaps protesting on the streets is the only way something will be done. Because something does need to be done as it’s not sustainable nor of benefit to Ireland. Only a fool or someone with a vested interest would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

We had 2,583 asylum applications in 2021. A mere 39% of them were accepted. A paltry sum and easily absorbed by a wealthy and underpopulated nation.

That number changed dramatically last year due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. And that has put pressure on our system.

But it's not the fault of asylum seekers. The fault lies with the Irish being seemingly unable to implement a coherent housing policy, and underfunding our services for decades.

I've said otherwise, Debs. Do you consider me a fool or do you reckon I have some weird, unexplained vested interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Are you talking about Sweden in 2023 or Sweden in 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I hope you were not too scarred from having to look at the peasants from your carriage.

Why give the figures for 2021?

In 2022, Ireland received 13,319 applications for asylum (not including Ukrainians obviously). That’s an increase of 413% from 2021. If the same trend continues this year, we will receive 68,326 applications for asylum (again, not including Ukrainians).

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

You are so utterly disingenuous. As Debs points you, you only cite numbers from 2021, a Covid-plagued year.

That's bad enough. Then you concede that the number changed in 2022 "due to the Russian invasion." Well the 13,300 asylum seekers who flooded in from places like Georgia and Somalia (the top 2 origin countries) had nothing to do with Russia. So your narrative is all wrong.

It's your prerogative to say what you want, but this kind of mendacity does little to enhance the debate.

I'm mendacious and utterly disingenuous? Just call me a liar and spare us the verbose language please.

Debs is predicting up to 68,000 asylum applications this year, and you claim Georgian applications have nothing to do with the Russian invasion. Pillars of honesty. You're really enhancing the debate.

I wasn't being disingenuous or mendacious. I simply neglected to check the stats for last year because I didn't think they'd be available yet.

That's on me. My bad.

But anyways, while 13,000 is a new record, we saw 10,000+ on multiple occasions in the early 2000s and the fabric of our society did not disintegrate.

Incidentally, somalia was not in the top 2. I'll put that down to an oversight on your part rather than call you a big fat liar.

edit as meant to quote a post

Yep, just put out because they think the asylum seekers are stealing their social benefits. The irony.

You don't to get to swap any Irish people anywhere just because you don't like them. They are citizens of this Republic.

'But what about the poor Irish women and Children' you suddenly forget about.

Hypocrite.

You scream and shout accusations all day about others, cherrypick your facts, look at yourself.

You aren't any better than other Irish people or other posters here.

You are desperate to try and tar anybody you dont agree with with a racist label.

Sick of people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not think it is about having the right passport as you try to assert here. Protesting was not done before because situation was not that bad as it is now.

We are in recession from 2 years in semi lockdowns, sanctions which hurt us more than intended target. Unheard of level of inflation with daily loss of jobs, several increases of energy prices, groceries, pretty much everything go up almost daily. Country up to neck in debt barely serving interest from bailouts when we rushed to save anglo bondholders....

No wonder people do protest and will protest more as situation will only deteriorate more. Immigrants were always blamed first when problems started and our government is hell bent on bringing in more. There is no easy solution to this mess and even if they close all borders today nothing will change for the better since we already took in more than we can handle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

He mentioned 2021 because travelling and people smuggling was severely hampered due to various covid restrictions all over the place. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So extending out the ratio of acceptance to 2022, almost 8k of those vulnerable people, as described by yourself, were deemed not vulnerable enough to have their application accepted.

And I agree the fault is with the Irish Government for their pathetic response of kicking this down the road, rather than deporting those who have been rejected or committed crimes (and thus should be rejected).

Scary, he is advocating mass immigration of asylum seekers for essentially a global issue i.e. almost anybody from a country susceptible to drought or floods could apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Utter scut from O'Gormless.

The Ukrainian numbers are not an exception because something something climate change. No concept of sustainability in our society and this policy statement he has made has been prepared by his neoliberal market loving handlers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If your sink is too small and leaky but the taps are still running, you don't blame the water, but you do blame the idiot in control of the taps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hopefully the traitor is voted out before he can do that. Anything else I'd say would get me banned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wel the last time such a vote on migration and immigrants was taken, the vote around our Jus Soli loophole in 2004, the same "descendants of the survivors of the famine"🙄 voted overwhelmingly to close that loophole. Even last year when Ukraine and her genuine refugees arrived an Irish Times poll showed 50% would accomodate them, with the caveat of if they had the room, the other 50% were less on board.

Such a vote will never be put to the Irish electorate IMHO. Those in the position to call for such a vote already know the answer wouldn't suit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Best post in the last few pages and best summation of the general feeling out there. There is no plan here, nothing has been thought out, no housing, no doctors, nurses emigrating, hospitals bursting, our Green targets in serious trouble and increasing population and housing will make this worse,( this means more and more taxes and penalties on all of us to pay for increased emissions that we have no control over and haven't brought upon ourselves)..... the list goes on.

This is fed to us day after day, relentlessly, by media. Its non stop. The feeling of helplessness and lack of control among a huge cohort of people is growing and this causes anger. While the protests may be hijacked by racists like Philip Dwyer, you cannot ignore the general and growing sentiment with the vast majority of people, worries and fears about everything and this influx of men being bussed in under cover of darkness has sparked something and woken people up.

This mass and non stop migration of people from all over the world into Ireland will affect all of us. If we have children and grandchildren it increases the fear. If you don't have children you can look at the world through a different lens. We are a tiny country and we will soon be outnumbered. It certainly scares me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

The opposite actually - there were protests outside when the hotel decided to turf these families out last year to make room for these new occupiers

your hatred towards the people of ballymun is quite something. You make mass generalisations as you saw it from your car …. Makes no sense

• Advertisement

Of course I don't get to swap people. Are you ok?

I'm not desperate to tar people as racists. But when a group of nationalists are screaming at vulnerable kids to **** off home, I'll say what I see. Racists.

You are correct on one point though. I do see myself as superior to this racist scum. But then they're the absolute worst people in our society.

Thanks for your contribution, eh, man in asia

Advertisement