Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

Against regulations to put it under the stairs for obvious reasons. Surprised with the electrical contractor not knowing that.

Hope Safe Electric nit watching this.

• I wasn't to fond of the finished product, moreso the aesthetics.

I think the house lacked character from the outside. I would have went with red window frames and a red roof on the extension with a few additional ornaments around the place such as the butter maker.

Inside it felt a bit cold. Just my 2c and all can be adjusted over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strange to see a step at the new main entrance, for a new building, when the building regs would clearly specify level entry. They won’t appreciate that step when they’re pushing a buggy or two, or bringing a granny in a wheelchair in. Dermot isn’t good for future proofing.

Apart from that, it turned out well. I’d say the builder got a sharp rap on the knuckles early on, which put manners on him. I can never understand why Dermot ends up flapping around on key details (fuse board, steel window thing, kitchen wiring) at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its always the same, its all about the drama and massaging Dermots ego.

5 minutes wasted on going to a junkyard to find 2 old fireplaces and another 5 minutes wasted arguing over some planks on the front of the house.

None of these property renovation shows actually concentrate on the technical side its mostly personal dramas and problems that make up the bulk of the programming.

The shed extension looks ugly from the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So started summer 2021 then?? Budget would make sense in that context then I suppose

• Advertisement

Have they only one toilet in the house ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

The roof on the extension is rotten !

weird that they have such a huge drive too and no garden (I know they prob have land around it)

Overall though they got a fine house for their budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was confused by that too.....I thought there was one going downstairs..... remember the little spat with Dermot being out of the loop in the conversation between builder and client!

It will be a pain in the hole having to trek from kitchen/sitting room to upstairs toilet of old house.....first world problems I know!

Agree with previous poster about en suite especially after kids are born...we don't have one here but I'd love one. As as soon as kids see you up...it's game over, no back to bed after a wee 😂🤣🤣

I hate open plan so I would have liked a divider between kitchen and sitting room. I wouldn't use that room , I'd be in the sitting room of the old house!

I thought it was lovely overall didn't really understand the planting at the front of the house but these things evolve over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Didn't really like the interior, felt very soulless but I'm guessing that most likely it's not their own furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Overall liked it but as was mentioned didn't like the roof of the extension, why go with corrugated iron that in 20 years will need replacement plus the head wrecking constant noise from rain, they should have matched it up with the new roof on the original house. They left enough condemmed kips of sheds on site to satisify the needs of anorak wearers adoring such kips.

I don't like the lack of motion as per usual of heating system installed, did they go with clean burning oil or lpg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

so why are you watching it then? Every year the same complaints from a few people, who insist on watching it and complain every single week about the fillers and drama. Yet RTE have said a few times the format they have is the one that people like, and it works. They also get commission and advertising for those places they visit, like paneling centres, bathroom centers, kitchen makers. The back story for the couple interests a lot of people, where they have come from, what the do etc.

I really don't think Dermot Bannon is asking for his ego to be massaged, that just sounds like begrudgery. He comes across as affable and likeable, I far prefer him to Hugh Wallace in Home of the Year (also an architect), people love that Dermot is so down to earth, not looking down his nose at people. He is very approachable.

I actually thought the junkyard part was the best and I plan a visit there soon as I have just bought a new house in the country. I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it last night and especially the vast amount of stuff they stock.

People who complain need to remember these shows are not technical shows, its not a degree in construction, its reality TV on a Sunday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I thought there was 3! Downstairs bathroom on that bit of an extension on the back with an upstairs one directly above it as they were increasing that little extension to 2 story and another toilet in the spare bedroom at the end of the extension kitchen/sitting room. Didn't like that bedroom there but it will make a great playroom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They seemed like a lovely couple and I'm glad the budget wasn't blown out of the water for a change. I liked how the house came out and that the original house was not overshadowed by the extension. Wasn't a big fan of the pergola - to me they looked like concrete/block pillars - I personally failed to see the aesthetic. I did think there was a bit of contrast in the interior style of the old and new buildings, the original house with its panelling while the extension open plan was a lot more modern.

Did anyone get what kind of energy rating they were aiming for, heating system etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Overall I liked last nights house. I think they got value for money compared to last years episodes. I like that Dermot didnt ruin the look of the old house from the outside. A few observations though:

• In the initial plan showed by Dermot there was a guest bedroom next to the utility room and kitchen. This bedroom had no bathroom so anyone staying there would have to go through the kitchen to use the bathroom on the opposite end of this house. This would not be at all practical - in fact would be very annoying. Now it wasnt clear at the end if they went ahead with this bedroom or not.
    • The large window on the kitchen - I would have had this looking out over the back of the house which had great views looking over the countryside. Instead they got views of the gravel driveway!
    • The pillar things - I get why Dermot thinks they were needed but he could have designed it differently so that they were not needed. The end result of the pillars with the concrete top thing looked a bit silly. It looks like it can be taken down pretty easily and I think thats what the couple will be doing once the cameras left!
    • The sitting room in the old house - I hated this. I felt they left no character of the old house here at all. I noticed at the start an old fireplace in the old house which I thought they would use in the new sittingroom but instead they put in a ugly cassette stove with no surround. I get its more practical but they could have made it a bit more in keeping with the age of the house. They did however put lovely fireplaces in the bedrooms which serves no purpose and actually takes up valuable wall space in the bedrooms.
    • I agree with others that they will regret not putting in an ensuite. These are practicalities thats Dermot misses - these things make a house work better - he only thinks of here and now and not the future when they possibly have a few kids.
    • 2 bedrooms downstairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs - bedrooms downstairs are not useful when you have young kids. They could end up with 3 kids having to share 1 bedroom upstairs beside the master bedroom. They would have been better off having another bedroom upstairs and 1 bedroom downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Claire was more of a co-host than in previous series; I like her. Must be a feature of the new series that she keeps on top of the budget and controls the overspend. TG Dermot has finally ditched the tracing paper for the plans.

Amy had an engagement ring on in the scene outside the Tullamore Library and it was a few scenes later when they mentioned the couple had just got engaged!.

Also in one of the first scenes of the salvage yard there was a rocking chair 'hanging up', this was one of the chairs that was on a SuperValu stamp-collection offer a (good) few years ago.

Conor's sister Aisling looked well older than him - not that its a crime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Ha ! I wish I was and had his contacts and contracts!

Actually most reality TV annoys me and I am usually a grouch about everything, but I just find it hard to dislike DB. Yes its hugely frustrating that explanations aren't given about how these house achieve BER A2 ratings etc, so much is glossed over, so much editing too, in what is usually hundreds of hours of filming. Houses go from bare frames to finished over an ad break! Its hard to take these programmes seriously, so I've stopped wasting my energy on it. RTE don't care anyway. I've lost count of the amount of times I've emailed RTE about programme content etc but its never taken on board.

I watch probably one episode per series at most, and its when Im visiting my parents house that I watch it.

I'd never watch it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was disappointed. A result I actually liked, and not madly over budget. What went wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Find it very hard to believe they got an A2 rating; maybe for the new extension but very surprised about the old bit. They have 3 open fireplaces, these are a big no-no for energy saving.

They seemed like an odd enough couple to me, no detail about what she (Amy) worked at and at the end-of-show party neither had any family / friends present - didn't tie in with Amy being all interested in photos of granny etc.

When Conor was objecting to the Pergola initially its like she (Amy) had no say in that part.

they did get a nice house, I wouldn't be mad about how fragmented it is and only having 2 bedrooms upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Odd house when finished in that there wasn't a single photo, book or personal item anywhere in the house.

Found the concept good, but the finish was too sterile and cold.

Also no clothes storage upstairs which was strange. I would have utilised the other bedroom differently but also take into consideration that you'll have young kids for a few years.

They will regret the lack of en-suite eventually, but that's a while into the future.

How did they achieve A2? Must be air source heat pump. Great opportunity lost for solar panels for heat or electricity with a south facing roof.

Builder was right about the stud walls, I get the impression he went ahead after a lot of ringing around with no replies to Dermot.

They seemed like an odd enough couple to me, no detail about what she (Amy) worked at and at the end-of-show party neither had any family / friends present - didn't tie in with Amy being all interested in photos of granny etc.

They seemed easy going, perhaps naive, especially Amy, she would say yes to anything.

Odd house when finished in that there wasn't a single photo, book or personal item anywhere in the house.

In all likelihood they hadnt moved in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why are so many people here thinking it was a corrugated iron roof?

Also someone mentioned why have the big windows facing the front and not the back. That's simple. They face the south where they get solar gain. Facing out to the shaded back, would mean they'd be a constant drain of heat all year round. Not everything is a design feature. In fact from a design perspective, Dermot would've much preferred to have the front blocked up to resemble the shed a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭straight

Those big windows are a scam. Sweatbox in the summer, fridge in the winter. Same with these double height spaces - disaster to try and keep them warm. Just common sense like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

This week's couple fell in love with this house and waited 11 years to get it???

There's like 700 identical ones visible outside the back door. And they are all in better condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

"A lovely view", all I saw out the window was a shed and a few houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Oh this started before Covid! So was probably originally planned for the 2020 series.

Applying the Grand Designs logic of the earlier the start date the more disasterous the build then this one should be interesting.....

Advertisement