Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

We had 2,583 asylum applications in 2021. A mere 39% of them were accepted. A paltry sum and easily absorbed by a wealthy and underpopulated nation.

That number changed dramatically last year due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. And that has put pressure on our system.

But it's not the fault of asylum seekers. The fault lies with the Irish being seemingly unable to implement a coherent housing policy, and underfunding our services for decades.

I've said otherwise, Debs. Do you consider me a fool or do you reckon I have some weird, unexplained vested interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Are you talking about Sweden in 2023 or Sweden in 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I hope you were not too scarred from having to look at the peasants from your carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why give the figures for 2021?

In 2022, Ireland received 13,319 applications for asylum (not including Ukrainians obviously). That’s an increase of 413% from 2021. If the same trend continues this year, we will receive 68,326 applications for asylum (again, not including Ukrainians).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

You are so utterly disingenuous. As Debs points you, you only cite numbers from 2021, a Covid-plagued year.

That's bad enough. Then you concede that the number changed in 2022 "due to the Russian invasion." Well the 13,300 asylum seekers who flooded in from places like Georgia and Somalia (the top 2 origin countries) had nothing to do with Russia. So your narrative is all wrong.

It's your prerogative to say what you want, but this kind of mendacity does little to enhance the debate.

I'm mendacious and utterly disingenuous? Just call me a liar and spare us the verbose language please.

Debs is predicting up to 68,000 asylum applications this year, and you claim Georgian applications have nothing to do with the Russian invasion. Pillars of honesty. You're really enhancing the debate.

I wasn't being disingenuous or mendacious. I simply neglected to check the stats for last year because I didn't think they'd be available yet.

That's on me. My bad.

But anyways, while 13,000 is a new record, we saw 10,000+ on multiple occasions in the early 2000s and the fabric of our society did not disintegrate.

Incidentally, somalia was not in the top 2. I'll put that down to an oversight on your part rather than call you a big fat liar.

edit as meant to quote a post

Yep, just put out because they think the asylum seekers are stealing their social benefits. The irony.

You don't to get to swap any Irish people anywhere just because you don't like them. They are citizens of this Republic.

'But what about the poor Irish women and Children' you suddenly forget about.

Hypocrite.

You scream and shout accusations all day about others, cherrypick your facts, look at yourself.

You aren't any better than other Irish people or other posters here.

You are desperate to try and tar anybody you dont agree with with a racist label.

Sick of people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not think it is about having the right passport as you try to assert here. Protesting was not done before because situation was not that bad as it is now.

We are in recession from 2 years in semi lockdowns, sanctions which hurt us more than intended target. Unheard of level of inflation with daily loss of jobs, several increases of energy prices, groceries, pretty much everything go up almost daily. Country up to neck in debt barely serving interest from bailouts when we rushed to save anglo bondholders....

No wonder people do protest and will protest more as situation will only deteriorate more. Immigrants were always blamed first when problems started and our government is hell bent on bringing in more. There is no easy solution to this mess and even if they close all borders today nothing will change for the better since we already took in more than we can handle anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

He mentioned 2021 because travelling and people smuggling was severely hampered due to various covid restrictions all over the place. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So extending out the ratio of acceptance to 2022, almost 8k of those vulnerable people, as described by yourself, were deemed not vulnerable enough to have their application accepted.

And I agree the fault is with the Irish Government for their pathetic response of kicking this down the road, rather than deporting those who have been rejected or committed crimes (and thus should be rejected).

Scary, he is advocating mass immigration of asylum seekers for essentially a global issue i.e. almost anybody from a country susceptible to drought or floods could apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Utter scut from O'Gormless.

The Ukrainian numbers are not an exception because something something climate change. No concept of sustainability in our society and this policy statement he has made has been prepared by his neoliberal market loving handlers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If your sink is too small and leaky but the taps are still running, you don't blame the water, but you do blame the idiot in control of the taps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hopefully the traitor is voted out before he can do that. Anything else I'd say would get me banned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wel the last time such a vote on migration and immigrants was taken, the vote around our Jus Soli loophole in 2004, the same "descendants of the survivors of the famine"🙄 voted overwhelmingly to close that loophole. Even last year when Ukraine and her genuine refugees arrived an Irish Times poll showed 50% would accomodate them, with the caveat of if they had the room, the other 50% were less on board.

Such a vote will never be put to the Irish electorate IMHO. Those in the position to call for such a vote already know the answer wouldn't suit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Best post in the last few pages and best summation of the general feeling out there. There is no plan here, nothing has been thought out, no housing, no doctors, nurses emigrating, hospitals bursting, our Green targets in serious trouble and increasing population and housing will make this worse,( this means more and more taxes and penalties on all of us to pay for increased emissions that we have no control over and haven't brought upon ourselves)..... the list goes on.

This is fed to us day after day, relentlessly, by media. Its non stop. The feeling of helplessness and lack of control among a huge cohort of people is growing and this causes anger. While the protests may be hijacked by racists like Philip Dwyer, you cannot ignore the general and growing sentiment with the vast majority of people, worries and fears about everything and this influx of men being bussed in under cover of darkness has sparked something and woken people up.

This mass and non stop migration of people from all over the world into Ireland will affect all of us. If we have children and grandchildren it increases the fear. If you don't have children you can look at the world through a different lens. We are a tiny country and we will soon be outnumbered. It certainly scares me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭slay55

The opposite actually - there were protests outside when the hotel decided to turf these families out last year to make room for these new occupiers

your hatred towards the people of ballymun is quite something. You make mass generalisations as you saw it from your car …. Makes no sense

Of course I don't get to swap people. Are you ok?

I'm not desperate to tar people as racists. But when a group of nationalists are screaming at vulnerable kids to **** off home, I'll say what I see. Racists.

You are correct on one point though. I do see myself as superior to this racist scum. But then they're the absolute worst people in our society.

Thanks for your contribution, eh, man in asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Does it matter actually? Screaming abuse of "get them out" is still disgusting and hateful behaviour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If they are scammers and con artists I disagree.

People don’t like being taken for fools.

Nor should they.

A lot of them are the usual hatemongering extremists from outside the area who couldnt give a **** about the locals; Philip Dwyer, Malachy Steenson, Gearoid Murphy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%,I like most decent minded people have no truck with the like of this Dwyer guy or lunatic fringe party's.

However we are in a really dangerous situation here,the smiling idiot O Gorman announcing that we have to do more and accommodate "climate" refugees means little really.Of course it's outrageous and not based on any reality but the current situation means you can rock up from anywhere and give any story you like as things stand.

I gave the example of the refugees calling to my elderly parents home in a small village from the big DP centre now set up across the road.Its a regular enough occurance now,she usually has the chats,a lot seem to be Albanian and but various other non war countries aswell.I have posted this before but the one that sticks in my mind the most is the woman from Botswana who happily told my mam there's no war there but her husband beat her so she flew 9000km over and through 20 countries at a cost of over €1000 (×3 for her and her two kids) I've no idea if her story is true or not but that's irrelevant.

Maybe when reporting back she'll tell her friends this was a handy story that worked or maybe now she'll say to go with the latest option which is a shrug of the shoulders and er......climate change.

All of this and my mam or dad who have paid taxes (and created employment in my dads case) are in their 80s and terrified of going to a hospital.

If somebody wants to call me a racist in this situation then fire ahead.

Ah ok you support harassment and intimidation and non peaceful protest. Good to know.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

And given that our Justice Misinter almost seemed to take glee in announcing our absolutely tiny number of deportations, I can imagine the vast majority of those 8k are still in the country, availing of all the accommodation/healthcare services, getting their weekly allowance while they launch appeal after appeal at the expense of the tax payer.

The number of refusals for those deemed bogus, high and all as it is, is almost irrelevant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Ive lived in a number of different counties and multi culturalism overall doesn’t work as well as it’s lauded. Especially if the migrants come from Islamic counties - the culture is just too different and too staunch.

migration is fine as long as there’s not too much of it - then ironically it’s definitely not multicultural as the groups all take over certain areas so there is only one culture. It also depends on the skillet - those who are unskilled are much less use

certain counties bring issues and come with baggage. North Africans and somalians are very well represented in crime statistics at other European counties. They cause most of the issues in Sweden and Germany ( the NYE sex assaults ).

i used to be a big proponent of Ireland being more diverse and was in plenty of arguments with friends / relatives who though otherwise. Though after living away I can see I was wrong and am very very saddened to see the route the Irish gov is going down.

I want to know why the gov are doing it ??? They’re costing a fortune and surely research has been done on other countries in Europe. Governments aren’t charities so why the generosity ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless you were at the protest you have no idea about who attended the protest.

I can say a lot of them are concerned citizens and a few were racists.

I wasn't there like you, so neither of us actually know what a lot of them attended for.

Advertisement