Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Very interesting. Even the Irish News is wakening up. I never thought I would be agreeing with the most republican daily in ni. Augers well for the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I’d like to see Leo and the eu take the same interest in the identity concerns of all people in ni and not just the nationalists.

would that be an unreasonable request?

maybe Leo would take a few photos of the Dublin Monaghan bombs over to the next eu dinner and hold them up and suggest that they need to help find a way to allow ni to stay fully within the Uk as per gfa - (I don’t seriously want that but if he was being even handed then that’s what he would do)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and again (conscious that you're ignoring the obvious flaws in your beliefs that I've pointed out) you still expect Leo and the Irish government to fix the mess created by the politicians you'll be supporting

You are focused on who created the mess (I agree it’s a mess). It takes two to tango (and in this case it was a set dance with many more than two).

there will always be a number of perspectives to who is to blame. There is shared responsibility and of course some may hold more responsibility than others.

its more complex than this, but eu we’re trying to make life complicated for the Uk, Ireland were only interested in protecting the interests of the Irish on the island and done zero advocating for the British living here (and that’s a kind interpretation). The Uk gov was trying to act neutrally on ni issue and the dup were asleep at the wheel. Sf we’re trying to move further towards a Ui and alliance were doing what they do.

so you really must let go of this blame game. We are where we are and we need solutions.

would you do this in your workplace if there was a crisis? Would you put all your energy into continually blaming who you thought was responsible or would you get your finger out and try and be part of the solution?

• Advertisement

But don’t you understand that your politicians are the ones that need to go to the UK government and convince them to go and negotiate whatever changes you want?

Leo Varadkar isn’t in the UK government nor was he part of the negotiations between the UK and the EU, that’s a total red herring trying to drag him into the issue.

The voters prompting the DUP to pull this stunt of collapsing Stormont should be telling the DUP to get over to Westminster and start talks with Rishi Sunak’s government about what their proposals are. And the proposals will need to make economic sense for the whole of the UK to be considered.

Just expecting the EU to turn around and make concessions without anything in return is unrealistic and it’s a waste of time and effort complaining if not doing anything about it except effectively going on strike which is only hurting the people of NI, making no impact on the rest of the UK whatsoever.

You haven’t given me the list yet of ways people in ni are suffering due to no assembly sitting?

You also seem to be agreeing with Patrick Murray in the Irish News yesterday saying

“For the EU, humiliating Britain appears more important than restoring Stormont.“

As you say they won’t help re establish the assembly without gaining more concessions from the Uk.

you also say “Leo Varadkar isn’t in the UK government nor was he part of the negotiations between the UK and the EU,” Are you really suggesting that Leo did not lobby the eu on the concerns of republicans? Do you think he should do the same on behalf of loyalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

what you forget is there is about 300 000 eu people living in ireland that get 0 benefits of the gfa , they just get all the disadvantages. also the northern ireland protocol affect 450 million people.

you say the people dont like the protocol...

reading this https://www.qub.ac.uk/News/Allnews/2022/public-support-protocol-increases.html does not quite to support that

Support among voters in Northern Ireland for the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland is steadily increasing. i see that might not be your community but i cant find numbers on that.

i would be interested what are the actual real problems that your community has from the protocol ,ie not the ones that are more emotionally , but the real tangible ones , and what would you suggest to be done that the single market and the gfa can be ok with that. taking also in conciderations that your community impacts 450 million european people and its not just an irish uk issue.

so staff like the initial problems of bringing uk medicine into northern ireland which was changed very quickly i believe, what is really an issue in 2023.

given that 65 percent of northern irish people think the protocol gives northern ireland business opportunities to me sounds like the protocol on the whole is working.

Any news item about the collapse of Stormint mentions ways in which it is affecting people, I have seen a few programmes on BBC highlighting funds that remain to be distributed to the public, things such as light and heat grants etc that would benefit people, but without a functioning local government, the funds will not be drawn down.

Also, pointing out the obvious here, power-sharing allows both communities and the neutrals to get on with things and settle down. You can’t ignore the effect the DUP is having on peace in NI.

The fact you keep dragging Leo Varadkar into the discussion is absurd, Leo has absolutely no mandate to interfere with UK and EU negotiations on behalf of the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Articles attempting to rewrite history to make out unionism as a victim can't ignore the fact that the DUP held the balance of power when May was at the helm and could have left a far smoother landing ground. Instead, they pushed through the hardest Brexit possible while foolishly trusting the words of the ERG who were always going to shaft them.

• Advertisement

Good questions.

the ‘emotional stuff’ is by far the biggest issues. Obviously it is not life or death to have your lunch taken off you travelling from one part of Uk to the other because it contains ham.

you could equally say it should have been no problem for the residents of the garvaghy road who didn’t like their neighbours being members of the orange order and walking down their road for 20 mins per year.

but when these things become expressions of identity or discrimination then they become much more important than the simple act. So don’t underestimate the ‘emotional’ stuff. That’s the stuff that has kept people killing each other on this island for hundreds of years.

as for impact of the protocol, I could list them but we are in a phase where Uk and eu have taken turns unilaterally extending grace periods so the issues would become much greater if it was fully implemented

Post edited by downcow on

You are listening to too much propaganda.

we are getting our £600 each from Uk government this incoming week as a wee softener to the increased energy costs. We are getting zero from Irish gov. How much are you getting? The covid payout was done by local assembly and took almost 18 months. So this is lightning fast compared to if it had been down to assemble. The rest of the Uk is getting only £400 and in instalments. We will have our money all spent while rest of Uk is waiting on theirs and as for roi payout!

as for the utopia of a working assembly. Don’t start me!

The above is mainly true but unionism is a victim. Too many trusted the dup and got shafted.

the Ira were the main cause of violence in ni. That certainly does not mean that catholics were not victims. They were hoodwinked by the ra in the same way unionists were hoodwinked by the dup

Of course you are getting zero from the Irish government, that again would be absurd!

The Irish government has done similarly for Irish residents.

The point still stands that a devolved government in NI would be welcomed by everyone except the supporters of the DUP, so there has to be some merit in it, or else why would they want it so badly?

I reckon the more that Westminster rules NI from afar, the more it will drive people to want to get away from the UK.

Health services deteriorating without Assembly, just one example, wouldn’t you say that matters?

Also read a report from almost a year ago that there were funds of around £300,000,000 that couldn’t be accessed without an executive. Presumably that’s still the case.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

This is an utterly pathetic post.

Ham and the Garvaghy Road?

"As for impact of the protocol, I could list them" but I won't... seriously, catch a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

€400 in 2022, €400 in 2023 at least in energy credits. Wouldn't have taken you long to look this up rather than writing a post assuming there was nothing. There have also been significant payments to anyone on welfare.

And as for your post where you decline to list problematic impacts of the protocol - we've done this before. You don't have any to list other than "I don't like it", or possibly "I've been told to not like it"

What gives you the idea that it’s only dup supporters don’t want stormont back until this issue is resolved? I am a uup supporter since the gfa 25 years ago and I don’t want it back. I don’t know a single unionist that wants it back including uup voters. The exception is Doug Beattie and a few close to him as they try to find a way to be distinct from dup.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The exception is Doug Beattie and a few close to him 

What data are you basing this on?

im not sure what your problem is. I reduced the hurt that my community feels over the protocol to a ham sandwich.

I am pointing out to the poster who disregarded the emotion of the situation. The point I am making is that my community is as upset about the derogation of their identity as nationalists were about the goings on on the garvaghy road - but I guess you know that.

• Advertisement

I don’t refuse to list them. The list is very long but as soon as I name a few, other posters will poo poo the significance, but we are all affected differently.

here are a few real examples for you. I have an (expensive) hobby breeding pedigree cattle. When I have a really good one I head (like all no breeders) to Stirling or Carlisle bull sales. I have one this year but I can’t go because of nonsensical protocol rules. If I don’t get a good enough price for my bull I can’t bring it home again without putting it into quarantine at £1,000s. The nonsense is that I can buy and English bull and bring it home without issue. I can explain further if you doubt it.

my daughter was returning home to NI from rabies-free Scotland. She had to spend £200 getting useless unnecessary vaccinations for her dog to protect the dogs in the eu from a disease that has not existed in Uk for over 100 years

…and yes if I am travelling home from Glasgow, I can’t put moypark NI chicken in my sandwich unless I am going to eat it before I get on the boat to Larne

I could go on and on But at least you can’t say I haven’t given you a few

I told you. My own data.

I don’t know a single uup voter who is not pissed off with the uup stance on this. I am sure some exist but not that I know.

my prediction for the election which is coming soon. Doug Beattie is in serious risk of losing his seat. And if he does he will resign and the new leader will then oppose going back into stormont. Watch this space. And I think Nesbit will lose as well as he has been vocal about re establishing stormont.

Were you in favour of the DUP requesting NI to be considered Ireland for cattle movements during one of the various crises in GB?

All these things are the fault of the party you now vote for. 100%, undeniably, entirely their fault. And yet you are going to vote for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, you said this:

The exception is Doug Beattie and a few close to him 

Where is the data on this?

Unless you know and have canvassed all of the UUP? That what you are claiming?

I tried to answer above but I then thought I would ask ChatGPT. If you are not using it yet it is basically a genius PA who will sort out any questions you have.

here is what ChatGPT says (it seems to understand us better than the eu - maybe it could be the next eu president)

“The Irish protocol has caused a number of problems, including:

1. Trade disruptions: There have been reports of delays and additional bureaucracy for traders moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    2. Sovereignity issues: Unionists believe that the Irish protocol undermines the sovereignty of the UK by requiring Northern Ireland to follow some EU rules and regulations.
    3. Identity issues: Some unionists feel that the Irish protocol creates a barrier between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, and have raised concerns about their identity as British citizens.
    4. Practical issues: The implementation of the Irish protocol has been accompanied by a number of practical issues, including confusion about the rules and a lack of infrastructure to support the new arrangements.

Overall, the Irish protocol has been a source of controversy and has contributed to tensions between unionists and nationalists in Northern Ireland.”

The DUP are the only party refusing to facilitate a devolved government forming, so if there is to be an election in the coming months, are you saying you would not vote for the DUP?

In which case that would mean their stance on the protocol isn’t the top priority for you.

They are not the only party refusing to facilitate a devolved government.

I will vote for whichever party I think will gain most leverage in removing the protocol, whether or not it is a party I support. I’ll vote sf if the promise to work for changes to the protocol

What other party? Are you referring to the one man party calling itself the TUV?

Same difference, you’re either voting for them or against them, so which is it?

So you need an AI to regurgitate mild, baseless moans now?

"reports", "feel" and "believe". No actual content. Just some slightly hurt feelings, and very little to show for actual problems. And those problems are all the fault of the DUP who refused the proper backstop.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. And this shows the issue. We have worked together across the island to ensure good bio security with farm animals. I always had additional checks and vet certs going both directions. That was logical and had a purpose. The problem now is the nonsensical rules that do nothing for bio security and are politically motivated.

we are not unreasonable. If there was rabies in Scotland then absolutely insist on vaccines on any dog moving to this island, but let’s not be silly and wind people up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement