Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Neurotypical/atypical clearly have something to do with it, else the Indo wouldn't be reporting that "Up to 90pc of people using gender service may be autistic". What is the link, exactly? I've no idea. And nor do any of the people eager to teach children that people on the G.I. Joe end of the "gender spectrum" are boys. So maybe that ought to be looked at before diving headfirst into telling children that humans can change sex in any way other than the creation of a legal fiction.

The Indo certainly would be reporting that “Up to 90pc of people using gender service may be autistic”, and putting the article behind a paywall so that if anyone wants to read it they have to pay. I’m not willing to pay to read the article, but from what I’ve read elsewhere, the National Gender Service are pulling the figure out of their arse. They’ve extrapolated from data gathered from previous audits where the figure was much lower, they’re predicting a figure of 90% of people using their services in 2022 MAY be autistic. There’s no indication that people using their services are either diagnosed with gender incongruence (the WHO standard) or that they have a clinical diagnosis of any form of ASD.

Basically there’s a whole hotbed of political fcuking about going on there where the NGS are looking for more funding and using ASD as a means to get it, with those opposed to correlating ASD with gender dysphoria as a means of preventing people who are transgender from receiving appropriate healthcare -

https://gcn.ie/national-gender-service-crisis-ireland-fails-who-obligation/

(the fact that there are no sources for the prevalence of ASD in the Irish adult population doesn’t help matters, but estimates suggest about 1.5% of the Irish adult population have some form of ASD -

https://assets.gov.ie/10707/ce1ca48714424c0ba4bb4c0ae2e510b2.pdf)

One study which claims to be the largest study of its kind (leaving out the fact that their methodology is fundamentally flawed), suggests at best, a correlation (as opposed to a causal relationship) between gender variance and ASD. You’ll notice the language is sufficiently vague which allows the researchers an enormously broad latitude in the criteria they were selecting for, and even then, the best they could manage is this -

As around 1.1% of the UK population is estimated to be on the autistic spectrum, this result would suggest that somewhere between 3.5.-6.5% of transgender and gender-diverse adults is on the autistic spectrum.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/transgender-and-gender-diverse-individuals-are-more-likely-to-be-autistic-and-report-higher-autistic

We should definitely find out, with a good degree of certainty, if there is any risk that introducing ideas about changing sex to developing young minds has any chance of increasing the likelihood of a child transitioning. Particularly at a time when activist group WPATH, who are listened to by far too many governments and other institutions, are suggesting that double mastectomy at 15 is a-ok, as is surgically removing the genitals of someone who identifies with the (perfectly valid, according to WPATH) gender identity "eunuch". And at a time when an increasing number of children and young people are coming forward to express regret permanent and irreversible changes that have been made to their bodies via puberty blockers, wrong-sex hormones and surgery. Don't you think?

We know already though that it does? I mean, it stands to reason that by making people aware of something, some people will develop an interest in it, others may not, and completely and outright reject the idea. It’s one reason why breast implants are as popular as they are among women for example - because as children, both girls and boys are fed a steady diet through popular culture of what constitutes the ideal of what a woman should look like, and girls aspire to achieve that ideal, by whatever means necessary, even by means which are unquestionably detrimental to their health which lead to them developing eating disorders and so on. And there’s purportedly a correlation there too between eating disorders and ASD, fuelled by the same expert on ASD who sees autism everywhere -

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/anorexias-link-to-autism-explained/

I won’t say there isn’t anyone would suggest that children shouldn’t learn about healthy eating because some children might develop eating disorders and they should be deprived of treatment because it’s explained by some form of ASD, because there probably is someone who would suggest such an asinine approach to healthcare.

It would be an equally asinine approach to education to suggest that children should be deprived of any knowledge on the basis that some of them will develop an interest in any particular area which they may later come to regret as adults. If that were the standard employed, children would be taught nothing for fear that they might learn something, with the idea being that it is better for them to be influenced and educated by a combination of exposure by self-discovery and popular culture, rather than the guidance provided by participation in formal education. The benefits of arming children with knowledge by far and away outweighs the risk of them falling prey to the sort of shyte that they are exposed to in popular culture, it means they’re better equipped to spot those sorts of influences which have a negative effect on their perception of themselves and their perceived status in society.

And yes, I do agree with you that the GI Joe/Barbie ‘spectrum’ is incredulously useless as an educational resource for teachers, and that’s likely because I have no interest whatsoever in the political ‘debates’ surrounding these issues. I just wouldn’t use it is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But they're NOT relevant unless ypu think this exercise is going to teaching the kids how to transition- correct? I mean, I'm not disagreeing with your stance, I'm disagreeing with you on your belief that this is part of the course. Where have you heard rthis, or are you going on assumption?

Beyond that, you'd have to tell what you mean by 'gender idealogy' - again, I might agree with what ypu if an actual.idealogy is being pushed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Beyond that, you'd have to tell what you mean by 'gender idealogy' - again, I might agree with what ypu if an actual.idealogy is being pushed.

Don't worry about gender ideology, it's on the way out for good, just forget anyone ever mentioned it.

There won't be any 'gender services' just plain old psychological services, as the NHS in the UK have said after they shut down the Tavistock 'affirming care' clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

i watched that episode of South Park last night when they had the teachers teaching the kid’s about the birds & the bees

They did a pretty good job explaining why this stuff shouldn’t be in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

in your opinion, in specific terms - what do kids need to know about sex overall and about transgenderism in particular, and what should they learn at which ages?

Your question was clearly answered and its you who appears confused. "Trangenderism" is about identity not sex, whatever your views on the subject. That some want to conflate it with sex in an effort to suggest even mentioning it exists is somehow "sexualizing" children is either rank ignorance or deliberate misrepresentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Transgender and gender-diverse adults are three to six times more likely as cisgender adults (individuals whose gender identity corresponds to their sex assigned at birth) to be diagnosed as autistic, according to a new study by scientists at the University of Cambridge’s Autism Research Centre.

From the study you linked. I mean three to six times more likely is better than nine times more likely, I guess, but considering that "transition" taken to its ultimate conclusion through hormones and surgery always results in infertility, we'd want to have experts be pretty damn clear about what's going on, right? Because we wouldn't want to be sitting here in twenty years time, wearing shocked Pikachu faces, saying, "who could have known we were basically running a sterilisation program for autistic and gay kids?" Especially not with a full record of people loudly trying to ring the alarm.

It would be an equally asinine approach to education to suggest that children should be deprived of any knowledge on the basis that some of them will develop an interest in any particular area which they may later come to regret as adults. If that were the standard employed, children would be taught nothing for fear that they might learn something, with the idea being that it is better for them to be influenced and educated by a combination of exposure by self-discovery and popular culture, rather than the guidance provided by participation in formal education. The benefits of arming children with knowledge by far and away outweighs the risk of them falling prey to the sort of shyte that they are exposed to in popular culture, it means they’re better equipped to spot those sorts of influences which have a negative effect on their perception of themselves and their perceived status in society.

Sure, I'd agree with that. It's why I talk to my kids about social issues at an age-appropriate level. But my whole contention here is not that gender identity shouldn't be taught at all, but that gender identity should not be taught through an ideological lens as fact. Which is what it will end up being if the only groups involved in curriculum consultation are the likes of TENI and Belong To.

I'm going to mute you again now. Can't remember why I ever unmuted.

Post edited by MilkyToast on

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I find it interesting in these threads or discussions like this elsewhere online that the concepts of confusing children about adult topics or “sexualising” children is almost invariably only brought up when the immediate topic at hand has something “gay” or “trans” about it. The adult themes of romantic love, marriage and heterosexual attraction are everywhere in the childrens’ stories, media and education — which many would seem to deem the acceptable level of exposing children to adult topics.

In other words, it’s perfectly fine for little girls to go around with baby dolls and toying around with the adult theme of motherhood. It’s OK for little boys to be running about with toy guns and dabbling in the adult themes of warfare and murder. It’s OK for children to be peddled themes of adult sexual attraction in Disney movies. Nobody is screaming “just let kids be kids” when the kids are consuming media of heterosexual romantic relationships and the clear undercurrents of sexual attraction between characters. Nobody is whingeing about children being made to grow up too fast when the princess of the story works her way towards the pinnacle of marrying the prince.

But hey, as soon as things veer off the heterosexual piste towards gay or trans themes — well that’s just sexualising children and confusing them. Even the mere attempt to actually explain and normalise the existence of these things to children is met with a condemnation that those doing the condemning do not apply consistently to themselves.

Homosexuality and trandgenderism are not the same thing. Which brings up an other interesting facet of this whole thing, because on the one hand you have homosexual people who are attracted to people of the same sex, and on the other, proponents of gender ideology who insist that a lesbian who refuses to consider a male who identifies as a woman as a sexual partner is transphobic. "Sexual racists" I believe Stonewall CEO Nancy Kelley called them, when the BBC ran long-form article entitled "We're being pressured into sex by some trans women" (but since changed to "The lesbians who feel pressured to have sex and relationships with trans women" after an activist mobilisation to complain to the BBC). I'm not sure how we square the new iteration of the "you just haven't tried the right dick yet, love" circle while being respectful to people who are homosexual. If trans issues are taught in schools, will that also mean that LGB is re-cast as "same gender identity attraction"? How do homosexuals feel about that, exactly?

In any case, as I said earlier, I don't necessarily think transgender issues should not be taught at all. But if taught then the subject should be taught in a balanced way. Children shouldn't be told that it's possible to change sex, or that stereotypical preferences have any implications in terms of whether they are a boy or a girl. If they are going to be taught something that may, as Jack said, make them more likely to start thinking that they might themselves be trans, then they should be told about people who deeply regret transition and end up infertile and scarred and dependent on hormones for life, and not just rare stories of happily childfree trans people who pass.

I don't think many people would have an issue with their children being taught about the minority ideology "gender identity" if it were done in a balanced and fact-based way, and presented as a belief that some people hold. But in a climate where experimental drugs and surgeries are being used on minors, and where the president of the main global body that many country's healthcare systems pay attention to is quoted: "patients are ultimately responsible for choices they make about treatment, even as minors. They should not be “blaming the clinician or the people who helped guide them,” she [Marci Bowers, WPATH president] said. “They need to own that final step.”" - then care and precaution are warranted.

It's not remotely the same as "some men fall in love with men and some women fall in love with women". And attempts to paint anyone who takes issue with this one subject as a broad-spectrum bigot is old and worn. And ineffective. It is a parent's most fundamental responsibility to protect their children. They're not going to stop doing that because someone on the internet who believes humans can change sex called them a name.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really. Its the reverse. Its not that you dont want it taught through an ideological lens. You only want it taught through an ideological lens you agree with which is about rejecting the existence of trans kids, rejecting any affirmation and promoting conversion therapy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Can you be very clear about what you mean by "conversion therapy" here? What does "conversion therapy" entail, in your understanding? Because most of the time when I've seen activists like yourself use the term, they mean that they want to make it illegal for mental health, medical and other professionals to do any sort of exploratory work with children and young people expressing gender confusion—the sort of work that many of those who end up with a great deal of regret after changing their mind say they wish they had before being put on a medical and surgical path. This only makes it more important that children who might not otherwise become gender-confused are not exposed to educational resources that might make them so.

I don't really have much of an ideological lens on this. I don't believe that humans are sequentially hermaphroditic. Mostly because they're not. I don't "reject" (whatever that means in this context) the existence of children who are confused about ideas of gender and sex. And I think we have a way to go before we'll know with any certainty what the right course of action is when a child presents to a doctor with gender confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Can't wait to sue my parents for not allowing me to be a Jedi back in 1987 when I was 9 years old, clearly I was the one who knew better and now they shall pay the price for not allowing my conversion to what I should have been.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

From the study you linked. I mean three to six times more likely is better than nine times more likely, I guess, but considering that "transition" taken to its ultimate conclusion through hormones and surgery always results in infertility, we'd want to have experts be pretty damn clear about what's going on, right?

It’d be nice, but I think you’re expecting a bit much. Fortunately for people who are transgender, what was once thought to be fact, is no longer the case, thanks in no small part to advances in medicine, science and technology. Experts in bioethics and law are still working their way through what was once unthinkable given that one of the conditions of access to medical care for people who are transgender is that they be sterilised (by medical means) -

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/20/the-dad-who-gave-birth-pregnant-trans-freddy-mcconnell

That kind of in-depth analysis is unlikely to feature on the Irish primary school curriculum.

Because we wouldn't want to be sitting here in twenty years time, wearing shocked Pikachu faces, saying, "who could have known we were basically running a sterilisation program for autistic and gay kids?" Especially not with a full record of people loudly trying to ring the alarm.

Up until recently that’s exactly what was done. No shocked Pikachu faces mind you, more awkward penguin shuffles when countries began totting up the cost of providing compensation to the victims of mandatory sterilisation -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-lgbt-sterilisation-idUSKBN28B5UX

Also unlikely to find that on the Irish primary school curriculum.

Sure, I'd agree with that. It's why I talk to my kids about social issues at an age-appropriate level. But my whole contention here is not that gender identity shouldn't be taught at all, but that gender identity should not be taught through an ideological lens as fact. Which is what it will end up being if the only groups involved in curriculum consultation are the likes of TENI and Belong To.

Gender identity is already taught through an ideological lens as fact though in Irish schools at both primary and secondary levels. It’s just that they’re the facts which most parents are already familiar with and have no reason to question. Even if groups like TENI and BelongTo were the only groups involved in curriculum consultation (they’re not even within an asses roar of it), but even if they were, I’d still be surprised Pikachu face if I were told that a child who is autistic was taught as fact that they could change their sex.

Not because of the idea that it’s unlikely children would be taught that in school, but because I’m aware of just how difficult it is for parents of children with autism to secure a school placement for their child in the first place -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40298207.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40326251.html

Frankly Milky, your concerns are predicated upon unfounded assumptions, beliefs and speculation that bears no resemblance whatsoever to reality, fuelled by an over-exposure to social media which affirms your beliefs to the degree that you have elevated them to the status of facts. In reality, the latest draft of the Primary Curriculum Framework is here, if you’d care to take a gander -

https://ncca.ie/media/4870/en-primary-curriculum-framework-dec-2020.pdf

And TENI’s submission is here -

https://ncca.ie/media/5707/transgender-equality-network-of-ireland-teni.pdf

Better chance of children being more interested in the latest Barbie movie 😂

(children are unlikely to get the reference to ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, but that’s brilliant 😂)

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

If they are going to be taught something that may, as Jack said, make them more likely to start thinking that they might themselves be trans, then they should be told about people who deeply regret transition and end up infertile and scarred and dependent on hormones for life, and not just rare stories of happily childfree trans people who pass.

That’s definitely not what Jack said 😂

This is what you said -

We should definitely find out, with a good degree of certainty, if there is any risk that introducing ideas about changing sex to developing young minds has any chance of increasing the likelihood of a child transitioning.

To which I responded that we already know that it does, referring to the fact that there IS a risk that introducing ideas about changing sex to developing young minds DOES increase the likelihood of a child transitioning.

I didn’t say anything about children being taught something that may make children more likely to think they might themselves be trans, because that’s a stupid argument with absolutely no credible evidence whatsoever to support an unfounded belief. Children who are transgender, know they are transgender, even if they were never introduced to the concept.

That’s why their parents often struggle with the fact that their children identify themselves as transgender, because children who are transgender know long before they ever gain the confidence, or the courage, let alone the language or the ability to explain to their parents in a way they can help their parents understand the concept, that it is unrelated to how they were raised or anything else which is generally the first thing which goes through parents minds when they learn their child is transgender. Parents seek external influences to explain why their child is transgender, because the reality that it is something they had no control over is often a source of confusion and anxiety for the parents involved.

EDIT: I see now too what you really meant by this -

But my whole contention here is not that gender identity shouldn't be taught at all, but that gender identity should not be taught through an ideological lens as fact.

You don’t want children taught about gender identity impartially at all, you want children taught about what will happen to them if they are transgender as though it were fact, through your own shìt covered ideological lens -

they should be told about people who deeply regret transition and end up infertile and scarred and dependent on hormones for life, and not just rare stories of happily childfree trans people who pass.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Yes, homosexuality and transgenderism are not the same thing — but there’s an undeniable commonality in the way with which both communities were historically driven underground and ostracised. There is of course also the more straightforward commonality that the gay community “paved the way” in a sense for the opening of minds towards gender norm-challenging things such as, well, men wearing skirts and heels etc. Only with the development of more liberal and tolerant views towards these initial disrupters to the perceived norm have trans people been able to push for greater acceptance and the normalisation of their identity (which I think is a point worth reflecting on for those who seem to believe that transgenderism is only a recent development in society). The overarching thing here is that both communities have a similar history and shared experience of being communities which have long existed, but being treated as though they did not and should not exist — at best simply not discussed and at worst openly discriminated against and abused.

So I don’t think it’s in any way problematic to juxtapose biases towards pushing adult themes which conform to a perceived heterosexual cisgender slant on children versus those with a homosexual and/or transgender slant — and to note the prevalent hypocrisy between those who decry the latter while having no issue with the former (bearing in mind that there are plenty of right leaning people who pose themselves as thinking that the whole concept of homosexuality should just be outright airbrushed from education because it’s too much for little minds to process).

My point here is that there appears to be a dishonesty in the argument posed by conservatives about confusing or unduly influencing children, which is demonstrated by simply observing the very clear hypocrisy between what their stated view is and what they were otherwise OK with as long as it conforms to their own sexual orientation and sense of gender identity.

I know he’s a man but I distinctly remember having a similar chat with my mother in 83 about boy George 😂 kids are curious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is of course also the more straightforward commonality that the gay community “paved the way” in a sense for the opening of minds towards gender norm-challenging things such as, well, men wearing skirts and heels etc.

They did no such thing. It was the homosexual transsexual demographic which is a tiny subset of the gay demographic that did that.

Speaking of that demographic, it is that demographic that is most vocal speaking on behalf of the whole of the gay demographic that are rabidly supportive of trans rights.

Why would that be I wonder. Some penchant for living life as a 'performance' perhaps. Oh I totally get those types by now.

Personally I find those people to be ironically living lives as their total inauthentic selves, not their authentic selves at all.

Oh and by way, if you ever suggest that being gay is 'gender non-conforming' again you'd better know what your doing because you're going to get short shrift from me and people like me. Just so you know.

Teaching children that the way they perform the arbitrary and ever-shifting concept of gender within society has any bearing on or implication for their sex is the exact opposite of challenging gender norms. You'll notice that Little Jimmy is never thought to actually be Little Jenny because of his love of soccer, cars and spaceships. No little girl is ever lead to believe that she might be a boy if she's into Barbie and pink tutus. Might be something worth thinking about, if your aim is challenging gender norms.

So I don’t think it’s in any way problematic to juxtapose biases towards pushing adult themes which conform to a perceived heterosexual cisgender slant on children versus those with a homosexual and/or transgender slant

I don't see an issue with the juxtaposition, either. What I do find odd is that the response is to suggest opening children up to more adult themes rather than less.

My point here is that there appears to be a dishonesty in the argument

Well then it ought to be very easy to counter those arguments rather than just blowing air about who's making them, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The types to make holy shows of themselves in general? Do they know it's possible to object and maintain dignity? Prob not.

I don’t understand your post to be honest. You say I’m wrong to say that the gay community helped pave the way towards wider acceptance of transgenderism but then say this was actually just a subset of the gay community. What? Isn’t that the very point I’m making? This subset was able to thrive or at least be public about itself within the gay community, in a way which it wasn’t in wider society. Dressing in drag, transsexualism etc are concepts which were far more readily accepted by the gay community than they were beyond it. Small subset or otherwise, these were inversions of what many in wider society would have viewed as the masculine norm — and the gay community seems to have long been a safer space for acceptance of that.

And I didn’t suggest that being gay is gender non-conforming — merely that there are synergies between the experience of both the gay and transgender communities and similarities as regards cultural biases against them among heterosexual and / or cisgender people.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I think it would be very helpful to this conversation if people were honest about what they consider "transgender".

Do people think that someone declaring themselves as Fu*kgender should be recognised with the same sincerity and recognition as a man who declares themselves as female?

Or are people only concerned with the people who declare themselves as the opposite binary sex gender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So are you going to lump in Jews, Blacks and the Rohingya also, or why merge being gay with being trans?

The whole argument is that trans is nothing to do with sex, so why do you insist in talking about trans along with homo/hetero/bi sexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To me, and I think many others, there is no difference.

If you are going to believe that you can change your gender then that itself is the part I have a problem with, not what gender you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Sounding more like a Sith than Jedi in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If some people on this thread are anything to go by, then there are certain parents that absolutely shouldn't be anywhere near this matter in relation to "teaching" kids about it. They're far too wrapped up in their own petty prejudices to be of any benefit to the kid whatsoever. All they'll do is fill the child's head full of their own nasty preconceptions and that's no use to anyone.

Well not really actually — the lack of honesty makes the debate intractable because the energy of the counter-argument is devoted to trying to overcome a point that the other person doesn’t really sincerely believe. So if you try to come to an intellectual compromise, it’s impossible, because you’re compromising on something that doesn’t exist. My point is that, from what I can see, the conservative fear is a fear of the “ideology” itself, not the fact that it’s an “adult theme” and there’s a desire to minimise the exposure of adult themes to children. The exposure to adult themes argument is a smokescreen for people who simply think that exposing children to the existence of transgenderism “promotes” transgenderism, and they don’t want it to be “promoted”.

The cognitive dissonance is even more stark in the US, where conservatives have absolutely nothing to say about young children playing around with toy guns (hell, even real guns in some parts) or being exposed to adult themes like gun violence in a country where there is a serious societal problem with gun crime and mass shootings in schools. But exposing children to the existence of transgenderism? That’s when the complaining starts, oddly enough.

To me, it would just be easier for everyone if people just came out and said that their opposition to transgenderism being a visible concept which children are exposed to is based in the fact that they don’t want transgenderism “promoted” to their children because they think it’s either weird, wrong, harmful (or all of the above) — and has nothing to do with fears of children being exposed to “adult themes”.

I do not believe that gender identity has any place in schools. Full stop.

It is a nonsense.

This may however be indicative of the point I have been making. The issue is that you probably do think that gender identity has a place in schools, because you probably don’t have as much of an issue with how gender identity has traditionally been taught and reinforced in schools. An argument that things just shouldn’t change when it comes to gender identity in schools is not really argument that gender identity has no place in schools — it’s simply an argument that gender identity in schools should be thought of the same way as it has traditionally been (i.e. default subconscious bias towards a traditional cisgender interpretation).

No.

I do not agree with ANY gender identity being taught.

Gender means absolutely nothing.

A woman is a woman, a man is a man. A female doesn't "feel like a female", they are a female. A male doesn't "feel" like a male, they are a male.

A man cannot "feel" like a woman and a woman cannot "feel" like a man.

A singular woman's experience of being female is vastly different to any other singular female. No two men "feel" the same way about what it is to be male.

It's absurd.

Sex is a biological reality.

Gender is how you feel about yourself.

OK. Fine.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that the proposed curriculum will focus, much like legislation around self ID, the two binary sex genders.

That is a conflation. That is wrong.

Well, okay, but you quoted a post of mine for your first contribution and I haven't said anything about adult themes or whatever. I just don't think we should be teaching lies as fact to our children, which is what will happen if the people consulted for curriculum changes are organisations staffed by activists who sincerely hold the quasi-gnostic belief that it is possible for a person to be come a sex other than that which was determined at the moment of their conception.

Ironically, many of the people who fail to see this are those who would shout loudest about wanting "religion as fact" type teaching out of schools. Inconsistency is not a partisan trait.

• Advertisement

Well if gender means nothing then what’s the problem with young people being exposed to the reality that not all people fit into the traditional understanding of the binary gender split and the norms / language used in connection with those?

The question about being able to deem and self-define one’s own biological sex is obviously a matter of controversy in today’s discourse. You haven’t however actually seen the curriculum and so I don’t see how / why we should debate the inclusion of things that we don’t even know are there.

There is no doubt that, like in any spectrum of debate, there are people who are more radical in their beliefs about trans issues and rights. But often radical views stem from historical injustices, both tangible and perceived, which lead to the afflicted becoming more radical. Normalising the conversation around trans issues and helping young people to have a better understanding of the issue than we did may go a long way in easing the sense of a need for more radical views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement