Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Because that's the way the Tories are going. American type standards and American style workers rights. It has already started with them facing down the strikers and not giving into the demands of the NHS.

Next up is the bonfire of regulations.

It is very much to do with Brexit. Why were the Americans - the complete opposite of the EU in every possible way - able to pull it off, but the UK will not?

That's true but that's these raw exports is not where America generates its wealth. It also generates its wealth by high value exports like technology, medicines and finance and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But it's still the second biggest manufacturer in the world (with more than eight times the UK's output).

Looks like we can expect more backtracking from the spineless EU regarding the NIP. Varadkar signalling it was a mistake.

Great.

So now we have a competitor who can undercut us in every possible way for free and will be able to dump their crap on our markets through Northern Ireland.

That Christmas Eve is going to be a grave mistake for the future of Europe. What the hell were the negotiators even doing there anyway. Christmas Eve is the biggest holiday of the year for Europeans. They should have been at home with their families and let the UK crash out and let them figure it out by themselves. Not handing them lifelines.

Another lifeline to be given out now to appease the Unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This is you at the moment - "I have apples, you have oranges - my apples are better apples than your oranges are apples!". How many destructive wars did the US suffer on its soil? How many times did it need to rebuild its cities? Nobody would think its a comparison that makes any sense, and that is before you start getting into the whole - one country vs 27 thing.

The Tories have done a great job destroying the one thing the UK people love, other than the monarchy, and that is the NHS. And you have been gaslighted into thinking the destruction of the NHS is somehow a great achievement. And the bonfire of regulations, what does that mean? You should force someone to work 12 hours a day for 7 days a week? Have no sick pay or annual leave? Because those are work regulations that people agree with. But let's all go with the US system, with its no paid maternity leave and letting mothers go back to work after a few weeks because they cannot afford to take the unpaid 12 weeks they are entitled to and not lose their jobs.

How about having no annual leave if you don't agree it with your employer. So you could be doing the same job as your colleague and because he asked for more AL he gets it and you don't. But maybe you don't mean those regulations. So what does it actually mean? Making sure your employer provides a safe working environment with fire prevention measures in the office? Those regulations? Or do you mean that they can now manufacture vacuum cleaners that make more noise for a population of 60 million and make a different model for the EU and its 500 million people?

Your post shouts out, tell me I read the tabloids without telling me I read the tabloids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If you are going to be discussing what a politician said you need to provide links. It is just rude to not provide context on what you are trying to discuss. Added to that it is not possible for posters to make up their own minds if you are properly portraying what was actually said, hence the rule to provide links to what you are asserting. Let me help you with that,

"The Fine Gael leader has been unpopular with some unionists who see him as instrumental in the creation of the contentious protocol.

Asked about this, he said: "I'm sure we've all made mistakes in the handling of Brexit.

"There was no road map, no manual, it wasn't something that we expected would happen and we've all done our best to deal with it."

Mr Varadkar said the protocol had worked without being fully enforced which is "why I think there's room for flexibility and room for changes".

He said this was also the position of European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and vice-president Maros Sefcovic."

Here are more extensive quotes in the following article,

"Mr Varadkar said Brexit is a reality which is not going to be reversed.

"I accept that - I regret it but I accept it - and anything we've done since then, whether it was the backstop or the protocol, was an attempt just to deal with that reality and to avoid a hard border on our island, to make sure that human rights in Northern Ireland are upheld and there is no diminution of them, which is really important to me as well, and also that the European Single Market is protected, and they're my firm red lines.

"The backstop, the protocol, were just mechanisms to achieve those objectives and, so long as we can achieve those objectives, I'll be as flexible and reasonable as I can be.""

Maybe you can show me where he said, "The NIP was a mistake" as you assert in your post.

That's exactly what it means. Perhaps not the extreme of the US but reduced minimum wage, reduced welfare, reduced annual leave would go down quite well in the UK. Especially if it can be shown to improve the economy and allows people to negotiate for themselves. Not everyone likes the NHS. Many think it is a waste of money. That's why the Tories got away with reducing its funding while openly critizing it. It's why they are able to face down the striking nurses and rail workers. Because for all the support they have, plenty of others do not support them.

Even had one Tory MP suggest nurses using food banks are mis managing their finances. That soujnd like an MP worried about his support?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Tories are "getting away with it" cause there isn't an election tomorrow. Currently most of them would lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It does now, but that's not how it became an economic superpower. It did that, as others have pointed out, by exploiting vast natural resources, which the UK is not in a position to do, to accumulate capital and invest it. And it's worth pointing out that it did that while maintaining very high real wages, a very open immigration policy and a more or less permanent labour shortage, the polar opposite of the policies you are now advocating for Brexit UK.

To be honest, salonfire, I'm beginning to think your grasp of economic history is not that crash-hot. You've also posted about the "collapse" in the economy following the independence of the Free State. While the economy did languish after 1922, that wasn't a collapse; it languished just as badly before 1922. The main economic impact of 1922 resulted from partition; that devastated the border economy (on both sides) but of course that had more impact on NI, which is largely a border area, than on the Free State.

I'm getting the impression that you're just inventing "facts" of economic history to bolster a simplistic half-baked neoliberalism that you probably adopted in adolescence, and haven't really critically reappraised since.

It should also be pointed out that Great Britain mostly got rich and powerful by stealing and plundering other countries' natural resources (including that of Ireland). Hence the slow and steady economic decline in the last 60 years with the loss of the British Empire.

• Advertisement

Well, yes, and also by slaving. Which, of course, also has a certain amount to do with the American rise to prosperity.

But the point is not to bash the UK or the US. The point is that salonfire's grasp of the foundations of US wealth is, um, hazy, and he's using his misunderstanding of history to bolster his fairly extreme neoliberal views in a way that makes Trussonomics look like a model of sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

The accession process , amongst other things , states "Equally, Member States must fight corruption effectively, as it represents a threat to the stability of democratic institutions and the rule of law. A solid legal framework and reliable institutions are required to underpin a coherent policy of prevention and deterrence of corruption. Member"

It is hard to see an institution like the HOL, where members can effectively buy their seats by donating to a political party, as complying with this provision.

I am not saying that reform cannot come about but it is hard to see , in the long term, how democracy can be protected without a written document/constitution. The UK system relies on those in power acting in the best interests of the people and country. The last seven years have shown us that no reliance can be put on the integrity of those currently in Government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK's in the middle of a self-inflicted recession. Some competitor when it's closed its doors to innovation and investment.

The Unionists, like the Brexiters have voted themselves into irrelevance. Nobody cares what they think.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It got rich that way, true. Funnily enough, it was the Americans, the other side of the "special relationship" who killed the British Empire by forcing John Maynard Keynes to accept the end of Imperial preference in return for the post-war loan.

We know what shape Britain was in after World War 2. It's why it chose to apply three times to the EEC, only being successful once De Gaulle had passed away. Once in, it was able to exploit the European market with its elite Universities, its strong financial sector and its link to the USA. The Empire was gone but it was always a threadbare construct as all Empires ultimately prove to be. If you're interested, I can't strongly enough recommend Philip Stephens' Britain Alone: From Suez to Brexit.

As Peregrinus has pointed out, the American experiment was so successful because it embraced values that salonfire baselessly and relentlessly fulminates against: open door immigration, globalism, innovation and free trade. A vast endowment of natural resources helps immensely of course.

When I was in Lisbon last year, I visited one of the military museums and read about how, just after the war, the Indians just marched into Goa and took it. There was nothing the Portuguese could do. Nobody in Europe was going to lift a finger for a withering empire. The UK's in the same position. Sure, they led on the vaccine and on Ukraine but they ended up squandering the lead in both instances by virtue of corruption in the former and the prime minister's desperate exploitation of Volodymyr Zelenskyy in the latter. The EU got its act together quite quickly both times as well and ended up embarrassing the UK again and again.

This is the ultimate consequence of Brexit. Salonfire thinks we should ultimately be obedient and not question our British betters but when the Tory party actively rewards venality and defies reality to protect some of the worst politicians the world has ever seen, this is inevitable. The obedience narrative would be stronger if the Tories at least delivered prosperity. Instead, we're getting the same Jacob Rees-Mogg drivel about the vaccine and the lie that the EU would have prevented the development of the vaccine. Respect (and obedience) ultimately have to be earned, either by hard work or skill, neither of which are modern conservative watchwords.

So, we're ultimately left with Brexit doublespeak. Embrace freedom by being good, obedient servants to our inept and corrupt masters, engage in free trade by erecting tariff and non-tariff barriers and, of course, grow the economy by continuing to strip it for lazy oligarchs and triggering a recession.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Interesting thoughts.

I think a crucial difference would be that America didn't do it in the way that the UK would have to. i.e., America didn't reduce workers rights, it didn't reduce holidays, it didn't eliminate huge public spending on health/transport/pensions etc. Because it didn't introduce these things in the first place.

So it was far easier for America to end up in it's current position than it would be for the UK. Once people have had something for a couple of generations (an NHS, 24 days annual leave, a subsidised transport system, a moderate pension from government money, food/work safety/standards, citizens rights) then it becomes exponentially trickier to take it away.

The Economist has released a series of charts regarding an analysis of a phantom Britain that never Brexited:

Link.

As expected, doppelganger Britain outperforms the real thing across the board. Public opinion seems to be that Brexit was wrong but we are where we are. I don't think we're far off from rejoin becoming a common talking point. I'd say 5 years or a bit less.

The UK has a constitution, it is just not a written/codified one and even were they to write one tomorrow I highly doubt they would restrict the supremacy of Parliament. Nor could you make a great argument that the political system and institutions in the UK are not stable and effective given they are the longest existing such ones in Europe.

I think you are massively over-estimating the willingness of the EU to interfere in domestic political affairs of a prospective member state. If either of these things were actually demanded by the EU then the UK is never (re)joining.

I have been watching the (slow) accession process for the Balkan countries. Esp. Montenegro .

The examination of the democratic and judicial institutions and how effective they are were closely examined. Are you saying that no examination of UK institutions will take place. ? Another example of UK exceptionalism? Because I don't think there is any mechanism for suspending part of the accession process.

I am aware of the UK unwritten constitution. And how it relies on political leaders to uphold certain standards. But we have seen, the EU can no longer rely on that. We have a succession of UK PMs who are willing to tear up the agreements they have made with the EU. Not on the basis of law , but on the basis that Parliament is sovereign. How then can the EU rely on the UK to abide by any accession agreement?

Not saying that the UK would fail this examination. But there is certainly questions to answer.

None of the UK's approach has anything to do with either the lack of a written constitution or the House of Lords (if anything, the HOL has constrained this behaviour).

The UK has effective democratic and judicial institutions. That they do stuff we don't like does not change that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The UK constitution is unwritten (in a single document) but spread across a million ones, and relies on precedent. If something has to be checked to see if it is constitutional, they look for a precedent, and if they cannot find one, they invent one.

The Supreme court has been created by such a precedent by moving the (existing) Law Lords out of the House of Lords into the Supreme Court, which was a newly created precedent at the time. Now in what part of the unwritten constitution was this envisaged?

When the Supreme Court found that the Gov had lied to the Queen, and prorogued parliament illegally, what precedent was found to justify this action by the new Supreme Court over-riding Parliament? Also, under what law does the Supreme Court justify its over-riding the House of Commons and Parliament? Is there a precedent for that? [Well Oliver Cromwell might be cited there but he was part of a regicide which is not a precedent repeated since!]

No, I would hold that the UK has no real constitution that the courts can use to control a rogue parliament that breaks its own laws. [There is a precedent for a Gov to breaking its own laws - the so called Party-gate - that brought a new meaning to a Political Party.]

If the UK were a new member looking to join afresh, then the EU might look askance at this type of constitution and legal system. They do not want another Hungary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

A very interesting comparison you made there at the start - since when Ireland initially gained Independence in 1922, it retained a dominian status within the Commonwealth, which amongst other things retained a common travel arrangement (still honoured), and free trade agreement, as well as agreeing to pay reperations to the UK for 19th century 'land loans' - so in other words we happily forewent 'sovereignty' for some level of stability.

It was only over the next few decades, as we found our feet did the Irish Free State take back more and more sovereignty. As in 1931, 1937 (after we'd felt strong enough to engage in an economic war) but still remained in commonwealth and finally 1949 when Ireland officially became a Republic outside the commonwealth.

So in contrast to the UK, Ireland was pragmatic enough to leave in stages as it found its feet

Post edited by Patser on

The Supreme Court has never over-ruled Parliament, it overrules the government. They are fundamentally different things.

Thinking the EU would force the UK to give up its form of governance is fantasy land stuff.

Yes indeed, the EU has no say whatsoever over the vast bulk of constitutional and criminal law in member states (this is yet another English Brexiteer myth). Although EU law invariably has the power to overrule national law, most of its actual laws are merely concerned with things like the environment, health and safety and working conditions / hours.

I don't want to keep going down this rabbit hole, but I was referring to the accession process and what is mandatory by the EU. I am not referring to current members but new applications.

The initiations of an appicant must be examined and approved as part of the accession process. You and I might agree that a government which appoints people to a legislative assembly, the House of lords, in return for a political donation is not open to corruption because we are talking about UK politicians and they could never be corrupted. But the EU lawyers approving these chapters in the accession process may not be as wise as us and see potential for corruption.

Either way, the will have to be examined and approved as part of any re-join process

Post edited by rock22 on

Nevertheless, the EU isn't going to start dictating the domestic constitutional arrangements of member states, still less of applicant states. An entry criterion requiring "a solid legal framework and reliable institutions [underpinning] a coherent policy of prevention and deterrence of corruption" is a pretty thin basis for the EU to start dictating, e.g., how a member state's legislature should be chosen; the EU won't go within a thousand miles of that.

And the UK is not the only European country to have nominated legislators, despite the potential for corruption involved. Do I have to remind boardies that eleven of 60 members of Seanad Éireann are political nominations? . Italy has a quota of senators nominated for life. No doubt other examples can be found. The requirement for a legal framework/institutions to prevent and deter corruption isn't directed at this kind of thing at all; it's directed at having clear anti-corruption laws, politically-independent prosecutors, independent courts. And the EU doesn't take a position on how these things should be structured; it looks at outcomes and, if they are unsatisfactory, points applicants to the need to address the problem by taking steps to make their anti-corruption framework/institutions more effective. But it's still up to the state concerned to determine what steps to take.

Were the UK to apply for admission — and, in the short to medium term, this is a pretty remote hypothetical — the EU would have political concerns, but they wouldn't be about corruption in the UK. They'd be about political stability. While the EU in principle would be keen to admit any European democracy, and especially a democracy of the UK's size and significance, they wouldn't want to admit the UK if, five or ten years down the road, we might find ourselves back in 2016, with an ill-thought-out referendum being touted as a solution to internal dysfunction in the Tory (or indeed Labour) party. There is a right to leave the EU and the EU will not make it a condition of admission that a state give guarantees that it will never exercise that right, but we do want member states to have a constitutional order and a political culture in which it is not exercised in the cavalier and irresponsible fashion of 2016.

This is probably more about political culture than about constitutional order. In Ireland, as we know, withdrawal from the EU would realistically require a constitutional amendment, which requires a referendum. But a simple majority in the Oireachtas can legislate to put a constitutional amendment to the people, and a simple majority of those voting in a referendum can approve that amendment, which in both cases is exactly what happened in the UK. So far as constitutional and legal measures are concerned, then, there's nothing in Bunreacht na hÉireann to stop the idiocy that the UK perpetrated in 2016 being perpetrated here too.

Of course, it wouldn't be. The glib explanation for that is that we're not idiots. The slightly less glib explanation is that we have a political culture that, for all its other faults, has much better understanding of (a) what EU membership means and what it doesn't mean, and (b) what referendums can and cannot do, and of when it's appropriate to put a constitutional amendment to the people and when it isn't.

The point I'm making here is that, even if the EU were minded to start dictating new constitutional laws for the UK, new constitutional laws aren't really what's needed ; they won't necessarily fix the underlying problem. The EU will be much more interested in looking at the UK's political culture. Is there a consensus in favour of EU membership that holds across the major political parties? Is that a settled consensus — has it endured for a while? Is it constructed on a realistic awareness of what EU membership means, and of what leaving the EU entails? Is there political honesty about this, and is the political culture intolerant of dishonesty on this question? Given the extraordinary strength of political parties in the UK system, do the political parties reward dishonesty or ignorance about the EU? I.e, is instability on the country's EU policy baked into the political culture? Etc, etc.

These are political judgments and, if and when the day comes, they'll be weighed with other political considerations. It's likely, as I have already pointed out, that this day won't come for quite some time. The passage of time, plus the very fact that the UK must by then have elected a government and parliament that feels able to apply for UK membership, will mean that the UK's political culture has already changed from what it is today, but the question will be whether it has changed in the right way, and to a sufficient degree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With the benefit of hindsight...

Still, for a Tory paper to print the above shows what a mess it actually is.

Would that be this Telegraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

If the Telegraph is printing that they're going to start needing Brexit villains to lambast as blaming remainers is exhausted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That said, the Top Comments in the same article are instructive; being the usual mix of "it's not Brexit that's the problem, it's the politicians not doing Brexit Good", or outright denial and usual guff about the EU itself. So as before, the lessons being learned here are not necessarily the ones we might want, or expect.

There are no “costs of Brexit”. The extra cost we’re all suffering from is due to political incompetence.

As a member of the EU, Britain’s position was untenable. Britain’s semi-detached membership outside Schengen, the euro, and Napoleonic law could not endure. 

Either we accepted the full EU package, and with it the slow evisceration of the nation state, or we had to leave.

We made the correct decision.

The fact that the government, with an 80 seat majority, has done absolutely nothing to take advantage of Brexit, does not mean that re-joining the EU is now a better option, or that we'd be better off right now if we had remained.

Anyone who believes this has little understanding of the issue.

Well, when you fail to capitalise of ANY of the benefits with the specific intention of trashing the country so that the pro-remain elites have a case for re-entry of the EU, what do you expect?!

Labour will take us back in within 7 years. This could be seen a mile off.

• Advertisement

The Economist has a great article this week about how the UK-EU relationship could improve:

https://archive.ph/gWmYb

The good news is that a normalisation is under way. Mr Johnson is out of office. Rishi Sunak promises a “respectful, mature” relationship. A flurry of modest initiatives points to a thaw. During her brief tenure, Liz Truss signed up to the European Political Community, a pet project of Mr Macron’s. Britain has joined a scheme to rapidly move military kit across borders and volunteered to help police the eu’s southern border against migrants. In December Britain joined an eu programme to build wind farms and electricity interconnectors in the North Sea. For British officials, this is a taste of the near-term future: not yet touching the tca, but overlaying agreements in areas of common interest.

Whether this is a false dawn depends largely on Northern Ireland. No sooner had the tca been signed than Mr Johnson began unpicking the withdrawal treaty that preceded it, and specifically the protocol which in effect keeps the province in the eu’s single market for goods. The protocol means that there are no border controls on the island of Ireland, in an effort to prevent sectarian conflict, but it created a customs and regulatory border in the Irish Sea instead. That infuriates both (pro-British) unionists in Northern Ireland—the largest unionist party withdrew from devolved government in 2022 in protest—and Brexiteers on the mainland.

There are signs of cooperation but it's still too early to detect a significant shift in attitudes here. Sunak's latest wheeze is more maths for students rather than actually fixing anything but there are a few positive signs.

I quite liked the cover I have to say.

Advertisement