Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Interesting theory, spam the thread to hide anything that bot central doesn't want out there, whoever bot central might be....

Wonder do people get paid to do this full time, looking at the number of posts from certain profiles you'd hope they are getting paid for their sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Get into a trouple like Una Healy - 3 of ye can contribute to the mortgage.

I think that people in this country have an unhealthy obsession around the link between happiness and home ownership. Whether you own your home or not we are all renting from the grim reaper, nothing in life is guaranteed for anyone and your happiness doesn't depend on whether you have the deeds to the property you live in or not. Having to move from time to time can happen to anyone, of course it's an issue if you have nowhere to go and the rental market is a mess but there are only 11000 homeless in a population of 5 million, so the probability of that impacting anyone, especially in a good job, so negatively is still a very low probability not worth being miserable worrying about if you aren't in that situation.

No one person is just entitled to a 3 bed house in Dublin, not even in social housing. Sure why not expect a 4 or 5 bed? It isn't about what anyone deserves, it's about what you can afford because you are competing with couples, families, single people with higher salaries or wealthy family helping them etc. Most of them are working hard and the majority are doing third level education, that doesn't entitle you to a house these days (versus e.g. an apartment). There are a certain number of houses available and there is huge competition for those. There are cities all over the world where things are the same or worse, young people leave them to work or got to college and don't come back. I left Dublin myself, partly because of the cost of houses and then moved back when I could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

There is also the issue of people buying houses with only a few years of a horizon for holding the house. The so called "property ladder" is something that should be climbed in order to get onto the boat of lifetime financial security.

In my part of the world, Germanic speaking, properties are bought by individuals predominantly to live in for the long haul, which drastically alters the housing market. The concept of taking a starter property with the aim of upgrading in a few years is not that common. The problem with this concept being a widespread concept is that the market then depends on prices continuing to rise in order for that starter property to be cashed in and this dependency has resulted in the State needing to prop up the market as it is not sustainable for housing costs to significantly outpace the rate of inflation. Now we are passed the inflection point and waiting for the drop, once again. Lessons not really learned unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Most house built or bought in rural Ireland are bought for the long haul. Its really only in Irsh cities where u see this up grading/moving up the snakes and ladders.

• Advertisement

That is definitely an interesting aspect, I was going to advise OP not to buy an apartment, if long term set on a house, because in a drop apartments drop more relative to houses. I don't know whether new build apartments are now more suitable as long term homes than they used to be. The ladder attitude certainly used to result in apartments that aren't designed as long term homes with insufficient storage etc. and probably leading to people not wanting to rent or live in them longer term. All of that is leading to them dropping more too when things get tough. Building more apartments that are livable long term homes would help change attitudes, it's hard though from here as any new regulations will drive up costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Yet to see anyone implying the property market is ‘grand’.

People are understandably wondering why one person is looking for a 3 bedroom house. It wouldn’t be realistic or gain much sympathy if a couple with a few kids (the group 3 bedroom houses are aimed towards) had the capacity, but refused, to buy one and were ‘angry and fed up’ they couldn’t buy a mansion in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Single-family homes are built for raising a family in though.

A guy by himself not being able to buy a 3-bedroom home in South Dublin just reads like satire to me. South Dublin is the wealthiest part of the country you do realise?

This chap can afford a two-bedroom apartment in Dublin so even his dream of earning a second income through rental income is not unattainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

People's requirements change. They have children. The children grow. It makes no sense to buy "for the long haul" by spending twice as much as you need right now and struggling to pay for it, just so you have a house that will match your potential future requirements. It makes perfect sense to buy a smaller house now and move up in a few years when you need more space and when you've most likely advanced in your career and have more income and savings.

I don't know the Germanic speaking property market that well but I'd be very surprised if young couples and singles there are living in the same type of homes as older couples with three teenage children under their roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Government intervention, It still sickens my bolloxs knowing the CB in tandems with the Irish government upped the borrowing limit to 4x for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Where in Dublin can you get a new build 3 bed for 430k??? Cheapest I’ve seen in Wicklow these days are all well above the 500k HTB?

Also, just interested, often hear this idea of single buyers being thrown to the wolves. I don’t see how this is so. Yes you’re competing mostly against two incomes but what can possibly be done about this? Banks allow 8x loans for single people? Banks restrict dual income buyers to 2x loans? Government offers to cover half the mortgage of single buyers?

Theres literally no sensible proposal that will reasonably allow single income people to compete against dual income households. That’s a mathematical reality, not some government/societal failing.

The only angle I could see worthy of complaint is if you were saying there was no accommodation being built to service single buyers needs (eg one bed apartments). But you’re looking for a 3 bed house!

Prices are dropping a little right now? I don't recall seeing houses this cheap recently but current check on Daft.ie reveals:

3-bed house in Newcastle listed at 315k

3-bed house in Old Bawn listed at 320k

3-bed house in Walkinstown listed at 325k

3-bed houses in Lucan listed at 325k here and here

Plenty more like that. Perhaps take advantage of this price dip. May continue to dip but that's a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Remember Varadkers first pet project of cracking down on social welfare fraud that reaped sweet fk-all

If there was as much focus on corporate social welfare the tax payer would be minted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I feel your frustration, but could you purchase a 2 bed apartment in South Dub, avail of the 14k tax free rent a room scheme by renting the 2nd bedroom for up to 1100 tax free a month.

You would then be on the ladder and probably saving more than you currently are and can leverage your position in a few years time to make the leap to a 3 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Telling someone they have no right to expect a 3 bed on 1 income is implying they should be happy with a shoebox, a mountain of debt and this is how the property market should be. Heaven forbid we could have a property market where 1 modest income is enough to sustain a family home in Dublin and have the other person at home with the kids. Cant have that.

Either people are conditioned to think this is normal or they want to tell everyone it's normal to keep things going the way they are. I know which my money would be on.

A couple benefits from two sets of tax credits, lower tax bands etc., so a single salary around 80k is worse than a couple on 40k each which must be around what graduates or people working a few years get these days. Assuming they can buy a 3 bed in south county dublin doesn't seem realistic, I don't think it says the property market is malfunctioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Good points, but I do think there is a near requirement to own property in Ireland before you retire, unless you are happy to live in social housing and accept that you may need to move location based on laco of avaulable options.

one thing is for sure, at current rates, a state pension plus an average private pension wont cover current market rents in Dublin.

i doubt there are many renters in Dublin that if they retired tomorrow could afford to stay in the same property.

Thats some ticking timebomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You think the poster has a right to expect to buy a 3 bed house in South Dublin on one salary?

Why? He/she will be competing with two-salary buyers. Unless the poster has a very high salary, he/she is immediately at a significant disadvantage.

Well you wouldn't get close to it on one modest salary in London, Paris, New York, Berlin,........ either.

How do you define normal?

Why can't people be expected to move to somewhere more affordable as happens everywhere else, being born or choosing to work somewhere doesn't give you a right to a home there unless you inherit it!

• Advertisement

I see where you're coming from now.

Technically it is 'normal', if undesirable. Most women work, even if they're a parent, and dual-incomes outbid single-incomes.

You do realise there is a MASSIVE push for women to enter the workforce and that this is bound up with political/moralised/self-actualisation social arrangements before you even get into whether it is a good thing financially?

Well you wouldn't be living in Dublin in that case, just like people renting don't retire in London, Manhattan etc.

They go somewhere cheaper, admittedly in Ireland the rents everywhere are nuts now due to a lack of supply, but you'd hope that will eventually get rectified.

We've also got open borders to a tonne of low cost of living options in the EU, with most cities having cheap Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

irelands solution to everything, move somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I agree, a single person should not be buying a family home, especially to rent out a room to justify the higher cost of the property. A family home should be bought by a couple, with views of actually raising a family there. Of course, if the single person can afford the home alone then fine, go buy it, but a functioning market would not be one where single people on slightly above the average salary can buy 3 bed family homes in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Historically this has worked for us. Imagine the population size had we not had very high emigration records for decades pre 2010. I think this release valve will be getting used a lot more in the next few years and hopefully it will alleviate the housing issues.

Yes emigration ensured a high standard of living for the people left behind.

I think this is also connected to the resistance to building up in Dublin. If NIMBYs can just hold out for another big recession, people will flood out of the country and Dundrum, Fairview, Dublin city itself can maintain their classic 'village' feel.

However unless there is serious economic destruction leading to an exodus then the Government will continue to pack Ireland with foreign cheap labour in one guise or another. So the financial benefits to the few of having a low-ish population may be a relic of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is a need for an individual to be able to buy a 3 bedroom house. For example someone that is separated or divorced and has kids that need to sleep over part of the time.

They have it much tougher that a single individual because they won’t get the same mortgage as a single individual because of maintenance payments.

What gets me is that he wants a 3 bed house to be able to rent out a room. It’s like saying I want to invest in x to make money but x is to expensive despite that fact that he is able to invest in Y and save money that would enable him to buy x in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well if we do get cheaper foreign workers in hopefully this will feed into the current gouging going on in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah yeh...let's offload our "high maintenance" natives to foreign climes while importing a load of low-cost immigrants. Everybody wins right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The OP basically gave out about the unfairness of a capitalist system while also outlining how they want to use that same system to benefit themselves.

Both of you are completely missing the irony and naivety of the post.

Advertisement