Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Does it matter actually? Screaming abuse of "get them out" is still disgusting and hateful behaviour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If they are scammers and con artists I disagree.

People don’t like being taken for fools.

Nor should they.

A lot of them are the usual hatemongering extremists from outside the area who couldnt give a **** about the locals; Philip Dwyer, Malachy Steenson, Gearoid Murphy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%,I like most decent minded people have no truck with the like of this Dwyer guy or lunatic fringe party's.

However we are in a really dangerous situation here,the smiling idiot O Gorman announcing that we have to do more and accommodate "climate" refugees means little really.Of course it's outrageous and not based on any reality but the current situation means you can rock up from anywhere and give any story you like as things stand.

I gave the example of the refugees calling to my elderly parents home in a small village from the big DP centre now set up across the road.Its a regular enough occurance now,she usually has the chats,a lot seem to be Albanian and but various other non war countries aswell.I have posted this before but the one that sticks in my mind the most is the woman from Botswana who happily told my mam there's no war there but her husband beat her so she flew 9000km over and through 20 countries at a cost of over €1000 (×3 for her and her two kids) I've no idea if her story is true or not but that's irrelevant.

Maybe when reporting back she'll tell her friends this was a handy story that worked or maybe now she'll say to go with the latest option which is a shrug of the shoulders and er......climate change.

All of this and my mam or dad who have paid taxes (and created employment in my dads case) are in their 80s and terrified of going to a hospital.

If somebody wants to call me a racist in this situation then fire ahead.

Ah ok you support harassment and intimidation and non peaceful protest. Good to know.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

And given that our Justice Misinter almost seemed to take glee in announcing our absolutely tiny number of deportations, I can imagine the vast majority of those 8k are still in the country, availing of all the accommodation/healthcare services, getting their weekly allowance while they launch appeal after appeal at the expense of the tax payer.

The number of refusals for those deemed bogus, high and all as it is, is almost irrelevant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Ive lived in a number of different counties and multi culturalism overall doesn’t work as well as it’s lauded. Especially if the migrants come from Islamic counties - the culture is just too different and too staunch.

migration is fine as long as there’s not too much of it - then ironically it’s definitely not multicultural as the groups all take over certain areas so there is only one culture. It also depends on the skillet - those who are unskilled are much less use

certain counties bring issues and come with baggage. North Africans and somalians are very well represented in crime statistics at other European counties. They cause most of the issues in Sweden and Germany ( the NYE sex assaults ).

i used to be a big proponent of Ireland being more diverse and was in plenty of arguments with friends / relatives who though otherwise. Though after living away I can see I was wrong and am very very saddened to see the route the Irish gov is going down.

I want to know why the gov are doing it ??? They’re costing a fortune and surely research has been done on other countries in Europe. Governments aren’t charities so why the generosity ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless you were at the protest you have no idea about who attended the protest.

I can say a lot of them are concerned citizens and a few were racists.

I wasn't there like you, so neither of us actually know what a lot of them attended for.

Are you claiming the videos of Philip Dwyer, Malachy Steenson and Gearoid Murphy were all faked?

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Some might be, but all.

Or are we taking the actions of a few and applying it to broader groups of people without any confirmation?

Is that what we do now?

Im not a massive fan of the aggressive nature of the protests, but it's a topic that needs discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It didn’t look to me like the building was going to get attacked. All I saw was people shouting “out out out”, “house the Irish first”, etc. Someone then threw down a can of Coke from one of the hotel windows. That could’ve really injured someone.

There were also a few people of colour at the protest. If it’s was such a racist mob protesting, I would imagine they would stay well away as they wouldn’t feel safe for being attacked.

No I am claiming you have no idea if a lot of the crowd were racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

how do you know they are refugees in there ?? Other hotels have been flooded with illegal immigrants from everywhere but Ukraine.

why should the taxpayer pay for them ?

why are they only in working class areas ?

what is the plan in the long term ?

why are the people not being asked or even consulted ?

is there any policy on integration of the migrants into Irish culture ?

how will the public services cope with the influx ??

to the above poster trust me it doesn’t bode well long term. You’re likely coming from a good place but you’re not helping.

also if the gov or mainstream parties don’t talk about this sensibly and listen then you’re going to see the rise in the far right and give racists a big platform - as not doubt some will be there taking advantage of the locals justified fears and frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Exactly. How would we carry out Varadkar's 2040 plan to double our population, if we allowed the current population to have their say?

The thing that saddens me in this country, is that people turn a blind eye proposals such as that 2040 plan - UNTIL the consequences of said plan lands on their doorstep. Then and only then do they see a problem with such ludicrous ideas. It's disheartening to say the least, that people can be so ignorant until it directly effects their own little world and way of life. This is why we will likely continue to swing from one disaster to the next. It seems to be in the very fabric of our culture!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't hate the people of ballymun. Ive lived in the area for close to 10 years. Lots of great people there. Lots of people who are trying against the odds to make it a better place and then neanderthals who drag it down.

And that's not the opposite. That's a reinforcement of the point. They didn't give a **** when it was occupied by other interlopers so long as they were the right kind.

Also, rather a large amount of the protestors were not from ballymun. Some of the same folk appearing at all of them with their " local" concerns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Even those of us who witnessed it first hand are dismissed. It was a mob. Perhaps a few with genuine concerns, and a few who are easily led. mostly people who wanted to to see if they'd get a reaction and disappointed it didn't end in a scrap so they could moan about the gardai

🤣🤣🤣

This is hilarious stuff. Claims that videos of what happened in Ballymun were faked

Terry Pratchet

So basically you are trying to justify an agressive intimidating mob.

Terry Pratchet

At the end of the day it was an agressive intimidating mob. These are not in any way "peaceful" protests.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What is not peaceful about a non-violent protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They were telling us only a few years ago, that non peaceful protests were the language of the unheard, while trying to justify political violence in other nations. Those arguments are quickly dropped though when it's a group that they oppose.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If you were at it then I am happy to take your word for it.

I am simply pointing out a poster who was not at the protest and is saying nearly all are racist thugs.

People with genuine concerns should not be called racists for protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Civil disobedience in relation to climate protests = Good.

Civil disobedience in relation to citizens protests over a mass influx of people into an area. = Bad.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Thank you, to further qualify my post my lovely partner is an immigrant to this country who first came to learn English and I have many immigrant friends.

Obviously the overall environment is currently very different to when she arrived 7 years ago. Infrastructure is bursting at the seams and the current situation is completely unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Sorry what are you talking about?

Where did I claim it was fake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

For all you people in support of this madness have a think about the context this way.

would you leave in anybody that turns up to your home & wouldn’t tell you who they are, where they’re from & what they intend too do here.

Would you just take them in & give them a bed, food & money. Maybe some of you might, then when their friend’s start arriving & wanting the same you won’t be long getting sick of it

especially when your neighbour’s across the pond done they exact same thing & it didn’t turn out great for them.

People should learn from other’s mistake’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

hypocrisy from who? if you're talking about just stop oil etc. in the uk, you think people were on their side? they are despised by nearly everyone.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Repeated screaming "get them out" at a place where the people live is agressive intimidation. You're having a laugh if you claim thats non violent and non peaceful.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement