Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel trapped in bad environment

• 06-01-2023 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There were a lot of redundancies and changes which are not positive announced at work very recently with no guarantees there won’t be more job cuts. My personal situation is I have a health condition that means I need a lot of flexibility in my role and this company can’t do enough for me in that respect. Things like I don’t have to take annual leave for medical appointments and I had the flexibility to work from hime even before Covid.

im just a bit apprehensive about leaving that flexibility but I feel on the other hand if I don’t I’m in the same toxic environment for months ahead. Employers all say they are equal opportunities but that’s often nit the case in real life in my experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi OP, I guess you have to weigh up what you prefer! Stay in this job and consider it a job while taking advantage of their flexibility. Or leave and take the chance that your job may allow you to take a day off, but expect that you use a day's AL. If you stay, remember you can always go off on certified sick leave should you need to. I have IBD and I used to work in a job that offered days off/time off for appointments and stuff.

The job was pretty toxic though. I moved jobs/industries seven months ago and while it's more in line with my interests and I enjoy it etc, I am pretty apprehensive about asking for a day off. Especially as I am on a 1-year probation. Overall I think toxic work is worse. Beware that a new job could be toxic and not offer the flexibility of your current role. Having said this, you don't want to look back with regrets and feel you didn't take the chance either. Not an easy decision to make, but you have a few options and things to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have IBD, that’s the issue amongst other related complications.

it went nuts a little over a year ago and put me in hospital. Mostly over it but that episode has left me with long term issues that mean things won’t ever get fully normal, but that’s ok.I’m under 5 different consultants for various things and I get an injection in hospital every 2 months which I sometimes feel a little wiped after. It’s just nit feasible for me to keep annual leave for all that.

• A lot of here with IBD. I used to have Ulcerstive Colitis before I had a panproctocolect/end ileostomy in 2016. Retired now, but worked in a public service, public facing role, where there was some serious bullying. Never so glad to be out of it, but literally I was stuck in that job as there was a (diminishing) element of flexibility re appointments, provided you were missing g no more than 2 hours, and I have a modest pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this is a real tricky one, and can be very hard to know what to do, and more importantly, what not to do, i guess get as much advice as you can, theres nothing worse than a toxic work environment that makes health issues much worse

...oh and we dont live in an equals opportunity world, try explain to a potential new employer about your health conditions in an interview, and see how far you get!

...those of us with underlying health conditions are severally restricted in employment, no wonder unemployment levels are extremely high with many health conditions, including my own, some studies showing as high as 80% unemployment with my own! equal opportunities, me hole!

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You can always interview for other jobs and be upfront about your needs. It may not be an issue at all. But if you don't you'll never know.

• Advertisement

Believe me I know that, they all claim to be equal opportunities employers but they really are not.

One place I worked sent me for an occupational health assessment which was really awkward because I wasn’t sure were they on my side or the company’s side

I tried this before in two interviews (min wage also) and understandably, I felt from their reaction that it was the reason that I didn't get either. This is back about 3-4 years ago.. I understand not every company will be like this though..

I understand that IBD can be a very unpredictable condition. So is certified sick leave the only answer? As far as I am aware, companies must pay for sick leave now since the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I am sorry to hear that.

I think it's always good to interview and upgrade your skills in a job, so that you can be ready and fearless to interview for the right job when it comes along.

I've stayed in places long after I should have moved on and screwed up the odd random interview because I wasn't prepared. I've also stayed in places for health, family or just plain old apathy reasons.

Also, I've never had a career plan.

So, don't bounce around like me or stay somewhere, too long, where you are not happy.

Also, people in jobs run into health issues all the time and decent employers will give them lots of support and leeway..and also, you've perfectly healthy, unproductive, useless people in jobs that employees would love to get rid of.

Set aside sometime, a lot of time, to plan and prepare for what YOU want. Forget about your health problems for now, you can't fix these easily. Short, medium and long term plan. Keep skilling up and just turn off that part of your brain that says you can't.

Thanks, but I am fine now. I changed out of kitchens 6/7 months ago.

I totally agree with what you're saying though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I guess someplaces can see someone getting their work done but will allow some flexibility and accomodations with leave or working hours. They want to be exclusive.

Other places have no flexibility and it's following the rules that take preference over getting the work done or being inclusive.

• I Worked in a local authority, and when Health & Safety became a thing they started offloading people with health conditions. There was a popular person with a neurological condition, everyone enjoyed their company and her work ethic and had no problem making minor accommodation. If they had a minor fall they would laugh it off, but management decided they were too much of a H&S hazard and pensioned them off. I was pensioned off (and glad to be) after suffering a potentially fatal stress cardiomyopathy directly after a major bullying episode.

Had to do that about a year ago, it basically unleashed its full wrath on top of me. Was out for a month initially and shorter periods since but think it’s almost there now.

Thing is most of the time I’m reasonably well so I just need some flexibility, I can’t always work a. 9-5 day and I can’t be in the office very often but neither of those mean I can’t be good at my job

In theory, it seems like a good idea. But not so much in practice.

Absolutely it shouldn't mean you can't do a good job. Unfortunately, medical conditions are often a taboo subject though. I think if you get in and pass probation it may leave things easier, legally. However, it's getting to that point that's difficult.

Advertisement