Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TPLO surgery, advice on how best to keep dog enclosed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Well, wee update, Aonghus had his surgery today, my partner left here (North West Donegal) at four this morning to have him in Westmeath before 9, I was back to school today so couldn't go with them. I was a bag of nerves all day but finally got the call just before six to be told that all went well and they were happy with the outcome. All being well he'll be able to come home tomorrow hopefully, I'll keep everyone updated on how his recovery goes as you've all been so fantastic with the advice. And reading the responses here and other threads about their dogs going through this helped me and hopefully all the advice and any I can offer in the future will help others. #relieved🐶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Excellent news! I checked into the thread earlier to see was there an update. Do keep us posted. we will require pics of the cone of shame also 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mean. So mean 😂😂😂

Delighted the surgery went well OP. It's so nerve-racking waiting for that call! Wishing him a speedy and uneventful recovery. Looking forward to more updates 😊

Cone of shame pic as requested, or an elizabethan collar as it was called on the bill, he's definitely the king of the house anyway. I put the donut on him as well because he was almost able to get near the stitches and with the donut he can't, he seems to be able to lay his head down more comfortably as well. He seems settled enough but he's getting a sedative every day which will help, had him out last night for a few minutes toilet and he peed for Ireland. He was in a huff with us when he got home yesterday and refused to eat, I had to hand feed him his kibble one by one to offer up my sincere apologies for doing such a terrible thing to him 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He'll possibly be constipated from the pain relief so you could add something like oily fish / give some wet food to help him poo. After one of Bailey's surgeries I had him out for a wee and he lay down... next he pooped lol

• Advertisement

Yes he hasn't gone since he got back, but he got sardines in his dinner yesterday so hopefully he'll get back to normal soon, and when it happens, that it happens outside

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lactulose helps a lot, too, and it's very gentle.

where would I get this? just in case its needed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The chemist. It's a laxative (like a syrup), like I said it's very mild and it's safe for babies and severely disabled people, too. It's very reasonable to boot and has no bad taste, you can mix it with the dog food or you can syringe it into the dog's mouth. Just make sure you get a version that doesn't have any sweeteners, especially xylitol, they are toxic for pets.

Great thanks for that I'll check that out tomorrow

Edit: The sardines worked! When I took him out for his last toilet break there now, the smell🤢

Post edited by nihicib2 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How we getting on OP ?

Thanks for asking @dashoonage, going very well so far, he's settled into his routine, stitches are clean and healing well, weight bearing when out for toilet breaks but gingerly and he's minding himself as well, eating well too. Thankfully I can book him in here in Donegal for stitches removal next week and X-ray at six weeks and not have to make the trek back to Westmeath agin, unless any complications 🤞I'm actually surprised at how easily he's adapted and how (so far) smoothly everything as gone, I suppose I had made it all worse in my head because I didn't know what to expect, but all the advice here has certainly helped, wouldn't have a clue about the pen or donut collar, harness etc, he's being a very good boy and at the moment lying in his pen prison snoring his head off, long may it continue

So another wee update, Aonghus had his stitches removed on Saturday with our own vet, she was very happy with the healing and the movement in the leg. So he's on three 5-10 minute walks a day now for the next week. She was a bit concerned about the sedative tablets Summerhill Vets gave me for him as she said they're human anti depressives and the fact that he has to take one daily until the six weeks are up, she was concerned he'd get addicted but I doubt he'll be breaking into the local chemist when he comes off them, he's smart but not that smart ( I hope). But that's what he was given so going to continue with their advice. And he's put ON weight, so on a serious diet now, hard to lose weight though when not active.

So thats the news for now, buster collar and donut off him and he can be out of his pen when we're in the room with him but enclosed when not, another four week until X-ray and will give another update after that, thanks again everyone for all the advice.

The stitches coming out is a great milestone and the short walks will exhaust him! I’d suggest weaning him off the medicine when you come to the last few days of it … I decided to experiment on myself after having major surgery and let my gabapentin just run out as they always say to wean the dogs off it… well I had really bad nausea as a result!

I just a leg of a pair off a pair toddler joggers for a cover for Baileys leg a good while when I was walking him as a deterrent to other owners. First walk I did with Bailey after his first op 10+ years ago he jumped over a wall(!) so be prepared lol

It was great to see them being taken out, one less thing to worry about, we're rural so no other dogs about us thankfully, and yes he is wrecked after his walks so back into pen and sleep. I did discuss with my own vet about giving him half a tablet for the last week or so and then a quarter down to nothing so after reading your post I'll do that, so he doesn't just suddenly come off them. The first walk he got he nearly pulled me up the lane but he's been more sensible since, not to say he won't see an imaginary being he needs to chase and try and take off, but he's on a very short leash and harness and we're conscious of getting him through the next four weeks as sensibly as possible. once X-rays have been done we can get more advice off Summerhill as to his exercise routine.

So another update, had his X-ray last week and vets very happy with the recovery, six more weeks building up his walks on lead and he's good to go, here he is on his first walk on the beach in about three months, all delighted with himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Awww what a face 🥰🥰🥰

Fab looking spot too!

Brilliant! Take it easy with him and don’t be afraid to pull the walks back if you think he’s tired/sore. I’d be cautious bringing him anywhere you’re likely to bump into many dogs - I had a dog repeatedly jump up on Bailey when he was recovering from one of his surgeries and it set us back a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 IceT
    Owner of Irish Canine Education & Training

Good shout DBB, Iwas just about to recommend these, panel pens are flexible, movable but provide a good barrier to all bar the most stubborn dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What a great beach photo! Such a relief to get a good report at the check-up. Nearly through the restriction period now! Our terrier Rusty is coming up on 2 years post-op, we don't have his exact age but he was 10-11 at the time. The op is modified for breeds with a steep hind leg angle and called CCWO instead. He needed an extra month of restriction (presumably age related! Vet wanted more bone growth) but he was just flying it. He had arthritis before the op but I have to say his legs are stronger than ever now! Grip better too than it was before as well. Worth every cent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement