Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options
  • 05-12-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone subscribe to this? The website is fairly poor but it seems like you can't watch many games, but does have the facility to watch old All Ireland Finals which i'd be interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Im not sure what more the website should do, theres a listing of upcoming live games, and previous games

It started as a way to get games to people abroad who previously had to rely on a VERY VERY substandard online offering from Setanta, for 120 to 140 euro a year or up to €20 per match on a single match basis. They've done quite well with their model of charging lads abroad for stuff that is free to irish residents (or included in peoples sports tv packages) with no added extras.

If the point youre making is that GAA-go could be a universal all-singing all-dancing GAA media experience with extensive highlights of games not televised live, more analysis and build up to games, that is attractive even to people who get all the important club and championship matches already for free on RTE/ TG4, I agree with you, that would be great, but I'm not sure if thats going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That sounds all lovely, but it would be a massive loss-maker for them. They won't go that way, I'd agree with you

slight tangent, my phone notified me there a couple of days ago that the old app is being discontinued and theres be a new one along soon

I couldnt get the message up again, but I see on facebook from GAAGO that they now say.... "We hope to release a new TV based app in early 2023"

It seems that the GAAgo offering is being upped a gear with its own presenters and pundits for 38 exclusive championship games in 2023. No sign of any league games in there at all.

The price in Ireland is €59 on pre-christmas deal, abroad remains €120 a year it seems

No mention of any improvement in video quality. The iOs app is now disabled pending a new one.

GAAGO today unveiled its exclusive 2023 GAA Championship broadcast schedule, presentation team and pricing in Croke Park.

After 8 years of serving the GAA's international fan base, next year’s entry into the domestic Irish market represents a huge growth step for the online streaming platform.

Fans will access 38 live or on-demand matches in HD quality for a special launch price of just €59 up until December 31st, before it moves to €79.

22 x Sam Maguire Cup, 9 x Liam Mac Carthy Cup and 7 x Tailteann Cup games to be streamed exclusively

Gráinne McElwain to present coverage alongside analysts Michael Murphy, Marc Ó Sé, Paddy Andrews, Seamus Hickey, Tommy Walsh and Eoin Cadogan, with more to be added

A range of pricing options to be made available including a pre-Christmas Pass for €59 (€1.55 per game), ‘3 for 2 bundles’ and a €12 ‘pay per game’ option

GAA members to receive a subscription discount, GAA clubs to avail of a clubhouse rate and free access to be made available to care-giving locations

Games include Limerick v Clare in the Munster Hurling Championship and 2 x GAA Football All-Ireland Quarterfinals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

All them games for €59 is great value but i still don't like them using GAAGO there are plenty of people in the country with no or poor broadband who couldn't even watch the games if they were free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Can you Download the app in to smart tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Seriously seems like yet another money grab from GAA. There is only so many subscriptions people can afford. Imagine being a Clare Fan with no broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

I'm sure there is fans in every county with no broadband that is the issue here at least with Sky people had an option it has been made unavailable to many now.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

We've all forgotten about the county game it's been so long since there's been any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

There is fans in every county with no broadband for sure. I just noticed that 3 out 4 Clare Hurling round robin games are on GAA Go, whereas it seems to be one for Limerick. I am a Limerick supporter but it doesn’t seem fair the way it’s been done. I am sure if I looked at other provinces and football there would be more examples of some counties expected to make do with GAA Go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wexford this year played Galway, Dublin & Kilkenny on Sky, Clare only game on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

We ll lament the end of the Sky deal before the season is done. It was excellent coverage and HD. GAAGO will be nothing as professional. It can't be.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

How has more not been made of this in the media? Two All Ireland quarter finals are going to be viewable solely on a horribly dodgy stream that regularly stops working. And is generally about 3 mins behind real time when it does actually work

The biggest games of the football year after the semis and final

I think it will be alot better this year, frankly GAA can't afford for it not to be, they'll get slaughtered if not.

The gold standard for sports streaming is NFL gamepass, which is a terrific setup when it all works but even that stops working regularly, and is 45 seconds behind TV so you can't refresh twitter etc. And that's the best sports media company in the world. So I've zero faith in the GAA making it work when there's potentially 200 thousand people logging on to see a big game

It'll be a case of starting blazing hot, with all the bells and whistles. By the time Provincials are done with, it'll have been stripped back to 5 mins pre-match and 5 mins post-match chatter (which is probably fine really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's gonna be a farce. Sky were great and people are used to a certain standard now. That standard is not going to be comparible with Sky. If its a min or 2 behind,well that's a complete joke.. I have no faith in this working because there's been no planning

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It’ll be equivalent to watching a match on Sky Go etc, so a minimum of 90 seconds behind real time (80 seconds behind what it would be on TV)

So make sure you don’t have the Twitter push notifications on or you’ll be getting spoilers all over the shop!

If your guled to your phone during a game you've nobody else to blame...

Do you know what a push notification is?

You don’t need to be glued to your phone to get one/see one

Do you also know what percentage of people use another piece of technology whilst watching live sport? It’s over 70% (might even be more now from the last reports I’ve seen). It’s life now

• Advertisement

Just turn off the notifications turning the game, your getting far too worked up on this.

Try watching a game with mates on Sky Go and police every single one of them to have the notifications turned off on their phones (and smartwatches now also). And stop each and all of them looking at their phone.

What happens if you can't make a big game and you decide to do what half the country does in that instance, go to the pub for it. How will that work when a good portion of a packed pub knows a goal has gone in 90 seconds before the screen shows it.

Even for stuff like live betting it's a disaster. It's completely unrealistic these days to expect every party to remain fully engaged in a broadcast of a game and not look at something else momentarily

Are you 70 years old or something? If you are then it’s understandable that your thought process is archaic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

I doubt that the GAA are too worried about live betting.

Nah early 30s, your just whinging about something that hasn't even happened yet like an entitled brat, why do even need to check Twitter during a game, i just wait til half time myself. Unless you work in media ite not necessary at all.

How people consume sports has changed now - There's nothing entitled about it. People like having live reaction online when watching a match but can't now in this instance. Genuinely you're living in the past if you think different.

I wasn't whinging at all actually about the situation. I was replying to someone who asked about delays with the feed compared to real time.

Calm yourself down now x

I know exactly how sport is consumed now and done that plenty of times myself, doesn't necessarily think its enhances it, consciously avoided my phone during some games during the world cup while the match itself is on.

If it was the lesser championship games and league games then great. Bang them on there, the more the merrier.

It's not though, it's the two Saturday all Ireland quarter final games, amongst others. It's potentially Dublin v Kerry in a near sold out Croker, with Sinnotts in town showing a stream on the big screen that keeps freezing and is minutes behind. Not to mind the parts of Kerry or elsewhere with less than perfect broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Apparently Michael Murphy and Paddy Andrews are already signed up as analysts

Advertisement