Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Is that not a red flag though, that someone so hated and vilified could have their image so manipulated by the media that she is now Queen Consort in a country that once hated her.

If you can do that to one member of the RF is it not conceivable that the same could be done to another but to negative effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

He is the perfect argument against the primogeniture system of monarchy the UK currently has in place i.e. look how close this guy got to being their Head of State, Head of the Church, Commander in Chief etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

The difference is though that Camilla didn't keep talking to the media - she quite rightly knew to stay quiet and let the palace team do their job. The media would have lost interest in Meg but truly she loves and wants the attention. They wanted to be away from the media but have now bought more media attention than ever on themselves.!! Megs seems happy enough with arrangement once the dollars are rolling in. They are happy courting and using the media. They are hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

If Harry is the perfect example, what is Andrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I must say Harry comes across a lot more warm and relaxed in the 60 Minutes interview.

Incidentally, he said that after the queen had passed, he arrived at the hospital and was asked would he like to see her and he said he had to work himself up to it. Makes me wonder do English people have wakes? Would it be as normal/regular in Ireland where the dead are laid out? Ireland seems very comfortable with the practise but Google suggests it’s perhaps not common in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In theory yes, absolutely it’s possible. And also, imho, there’s likely a hierarchy of priority within the RF organisation where the grey suits decide how to champion certain stories or activities that put certain RF members in good light, potentially at the expense of other RF members at that time.

But how it’s all decided, and what levels of effort are required or how orchestrated and deliberate it is, to put one person forward in a good light or indeed put one person forward in a bad light, I’ve no idea.

But unless the grey suits are a total law onto themselves and independent of the RF members, which I think is unlikely and plain strange, I don’t believe personally that there was a concerted effort within the RF to discredit Meaghan and put her in a bad light- the UK press were well capable of doing that on their own without the help of the RF or its press office.

BUT- with a lot of staff departing H&Ms office over a short period of time I truely believe that questions started to be asked about Meaghans behaviour- and I believe that is the crux of a lot of the stories that subsequently were published- and I feel Meaghan is protesting too much now, knowing full well she was responsible for a lot of sh1te going down in house in the palace.

No - England doesn’t do wakes like Ireland does- and also it can take like up to a month or more to bury someone in the UK

I have friends from UK who’ve attended Irish funerals for the first time and been mighty impressed with how we deal with death here.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

I can understand why Harry may not like Camilla. Camilla is the woman his father has always loved, whatever love is. That must be deeply hurtful to realise given that the woman in question wasn't his mother. I think Harry like his uncle Andrew is his own worst enemy. Harry was once a very popular member of the royal family second only to the queen. It's quite a fall from grace. Like his uncle he is engaging in illogical behaviour. Hates the press yet courts publicity at every opportunity.

I can see his marriage to Meghan hitting the rocks. Yes meeting Meghan may have changed him but I wouldn't blame her for his fall from grace. I can see how the treatment of his wife by the British press would be disturbing for Harry especially given how Kate is projected the perfect stepford wife. But his best course of action would have been silence. Head off to America make money off being a Royal in subtle ways and keep his head down. His uncle gave him the perfect example of what not to do in the Emily Maitliss interview but Harry didn't heed the lesson. He is reaping what he sowed and will continue to do so as long as he continues on this course.

When Catherine first married William alot of aides left too because Kate and her mother were doing too much apparently, palace staff seem like a fickle bunch.

• Advertisement

I've never denied that H&M don't do themselves any favours at times, regardless though it shows how easily the media and RF PR can manipulate public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Harry trying to "Megan" Camilla.

A woman in her late 70s.

No matter what media I read, I ask questions like, what's the source, who's the reporter, what's the media outlet known for etc etc In other words, I try and remain objective.

The UK rags like The Sun, The Mail etc have very obvious agendas - especially the Mail who I rate as the trolls of the Newspaper world- they can change view in a heartbeat when it suits them and know well how to stir up their readers, who in my view, are complete racists and conservative white English in the main.

While the Guardian might have 1-2 articles on Harry and Megan right now, the Mail will have like up to 10 on the one day- so you can see instantly they have an agenda and it's not anyway's positive towards the two. But if you know that, then you can read the articles and critically appraise them for yourself.

I've no doubt there are people out there who take what they read in the papers as gospel and are influenced by headlines and carefully constructed stories- I'm not, but it's a powerful force and you can see in America how there are whole media organisations devoted to either the Democrats or Republicans- I'm glad we don't have that to the same degree in Ireland. I feel though the UK are fast becoming similar to their US cousins- an appearance of objectivity but in reality hugely slanted towards particular agendas i.e. left/right wing, anti-immigrant etc, especially with the emergence of TV stations like GB News.

I guess a lot of the public gravitate towards what they want to hear too so it's not all the fault of the media- it's a ratings and paper sales war out there so it's in the interests of media outlets to tailor their writing and stories to the target markets that pay their bills and provide them with ample profits every year.

He hates the tabloid press. That's a massive difference between hating the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

I just watched the interview.. OMG.. the poor lad.. I think he's quite unwell.. totally delusional and hypocritical, but not even sure he can see that.. maybe he's just blinded by anger etc... i know he had trauma but a lot of therapy too.. obv not the right kind..

I duuno... he's v messed up anyway.. if I was to feel anything for him it would be sympathy... but unfortunately there are consequences to his actions...

Actually no, I feel sorry for - his family.. not into the monarchy but they are people..

I just hope his Mum isn't witnessing all this from where ever she is..

Not sure there's any hope for him..

A media detox forever would do him good!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Irish funerals blow English peoples minds 😂 it’s like a revelation to them

I'd say a good few posters on this thread probably don't see what Andrew did as being that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Harry and Meghan are just out to make money, on TV interviews and books. Also, just stating something on TV or writing something in a book doesn't mean it's actually true. It's there to make money, nothing else.

I think Harry is overdoing it as well. Admitting to drug use and living in the US on a visa is not the best choice, in worst case he could have his visa / residency revoked. Obviously he didn't think about that.

Also, speaking about his military service as he did, and with the Taliban still around and again in government in Afghanistan, he's also making himself a security risk and needs to look over his shoulder a little more often. I am sure, he didn't think about that one either.

I don’t see Meghan being happy with the cash In the bank and retiring , her book is next and then what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Complaining about the Royal Family is a full time job for Meghan and Harry now - sadly its now their 'career'. They will continue as long as people are interested. Even after the marriage breaks up ( and it will) Meg will continue to make money out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

Don't worry, his mum isn't witnessing it. She's been dead 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The only relevance Andrew has on these 2 idiots that he has showcased recently that the institution can be blackmailed successfully.

So far they have only revealed mundane and inconsequential personal anecdotes and recalled conversations, but I’m sure the institution is well aware how much damage they can cause if they “reveal” factual or made up material on this affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I do find it funny that there are some self-identified Irish Republicans on here, who are defending Harry, an ex-member of the Crown forces who killed 25 'Taliban' in a far-off land.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Meghan seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth recently..

It looks like Harry is gaining traction now that he’s in the driving seat , I can’t see Meghan doing as well on the book front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

She's about 6 feet under and her eyes have long since decomposed so no need to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It's not always the case. Some people write books to put a spell on reality. I once come across a woman writing a book about her recovery from cancer. She was still ill but believed in a happy ending and writing this book made this believe stronger.

So I think it might be a case Harry's situation. He wants to believe in Meghan's unconditional love to him. So he can't see her real, so he will keep bending his reality as long as he can keep this delusion alive. That's why his book and his interviews are so inconsistent. He consciously doesn't know, what he wants. But it will come a day that even he won't be able to believe that she never googled him...

Advertisement