Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd be fairly sure he has signed given that Mayo GAA have also confirmed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

And training starts next week and he's said to be on his way over already.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Should I the GAA start paying to level GAA players and management? It seems unfair that the top teams are still all ‘amateur’ in name, and might help retain top talent. Mayo could buy a few forwards in the transfer windows :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Best of luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, good luck in Australia Oisin, a big loss for Mayo but a no brainer for a young fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Good luck to him! We were lucky to have him as long as we did! Is this as big a loss as Pierce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

I don't think so because Pierce was a quality forward, which we're always lacking in, more than defenders.

Also, with Pierce we probably would have won at least one AI from 2012-2017.

Not sure we'll be close enough for Oisín to be the difference in next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would agree with you. I don't see the loss as significant as other posters. He is injury prone as well for such a young guy but he is right to go if that is what he wants... best of luck to him. I am happy there is an end to this. Fair play to Keegan for coming out and stopping the circus but this is typical of everything he does.

Regarding PH, he really did look the real deal for the year he was in. In regards to forwards, it really is a strange one that we struggle to get quality forwards. Our biggest issue is the consistent deliver of performance from our forwards.... one day they play well, the next day totally out of the game - Carr/Boland are good examples... tonnes of potential in the guys. It also begs the question around coaching at underage level in the scoring aspect but it is not easy to find replacements for COC/KML who have been really consistent over a long period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Best of luck to him and I hope he does well from his personal point of view, but however I don't think he will make it over there. He's 22 having never played the sport, it's a bit late starting out, usually the lads that go are about 3-4 years younger than him. I think he will be back with Mayo in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wish him all the best and I'd love if he made it over there.

Seems like such a nice lad, hard to begrudge him going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

He does seem like a gent, all the best to him

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

What's the story with this pride jesery and the numbers on the back in the pride colours, seems like the county board are taking a lead and winning the all Ireland for political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

They'd probably say something transphobic at the last minute and lose it on finals day

• Advertisement

Fair play

Such an exciting time for him

Hope it goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

They are trying to steal a march on the Burke family.

With Enoch in jail they are down a man, now is Mayo GAAs time to get their part for equality or something done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What an idiotic post, somehow equating supporting LGBTQ rights with those nut jobs

FWIW I'd be in favour of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not like you to be shitposting Tod.

Personally, I think it's a good idea. Not sure why there are objections or snide remarks about this initiative, but I think it shows how far back in the dark ages some people still are.

• Advertisement

It was a joke.

But on the jersey thing, I really don't mind either way.

Is there any push back in Mayo about it?

I’m sure there are a few knuckledraggers with objections. From what I can see most of the negative commentary originates from outside the county though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I think the danger is that if you do it for one group you kinda have to keep pleasing other groups and where does it stop. It's a bit like taking the knee in soccer, the sport starts getting used as a vehicle by others. I can see why the GAA might want to keep things simple and avoid eventually offending everyone.

I don’t see the threat to be honest. It’s a matter of showing acceptance. The GAA’s stance here appears to more of appeasement to the Neanderthals.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Pretty damning reading on the W people that Mchale park pitch is falling apart so easily already, and we arent halfway through its 1st winter yet ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Mayo take on Sligo in a challenge game in Ballina on January 2nd at 1.30pm.

It will give a flavour for some of the young guns on the panel and let the experienced lads dust themselves off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone going to the Intermediate Club Hurling Final in January?

Great achievement for Tooreen...they're up against a fairly strong outfit from Monaleen.

Was interested to hear the recent Fergal Boland interview on Off the Ball when he said that hurling was his priority

Hoping to go to that game, if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo team to play Sligo in a challenge tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Not sure what we learned to be honest. DOC and Ruane were good. Callinan was alright at the back along with Coyne. Carney got on a lot of ball. ROD was his usual self, chasing back and trying to get on ball. Carr tried hard and needs to stay fit. Jordan Flynn has filled out, he got one nice score. McStay played first hal and took his goal well. Reape was caught out poorly for that high ball.

At least we are out of the GAA blocks for 2023. Let's see how things progress from this. The gate receipts went to a good cause - Mindspace Mayo.

• Advertisement

Time to book the hotel :@

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

McStay is “very hopeful” Keegan will stay on . Great news and fully expected imo. I think we will see him for the last few league games. Inter county Season is then over by end of July at the latest and that will be it for him. Let’s hope it ends in the ultimate success………

It will be interesting to see if McStay goes with alot of newer guys like above in the league instead of guys who have been floating in and out of the match day teams. If he is serious about having a proper go, he will have to do that otherwise deja vu. We have tried so long with guys like Boland, Carr, Loftus who really have not progressed into what we need and who at different times showed really top performances but lack this consistency.

He has calls on who is captain, what he does or doesnt do with AOS, who will be on the frees, will conroy return to his old self, where is COC at, will Keegan come back, so interesting times ahead for McStay.... he has his chance that he alway felt he never got.... so lets see what he is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Inevitably but still sad to see it officially announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Leeroy has officially retired,Mayo GAA have tweeted it.

The greatest ever to play for Mayo and still on top of his game.

This is a sad day for Mayo,thanks for the memories,he couldn't have done any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ah no.

Probably my favourite ever player, and definitely in the top echelon of players never to win an AI in history (best of my lifetime).

I'd go as far to say he was one of the clutchest players ever, some scoring record in All-Ireland finals and routinely shut-down opponents too. 

An all-time great

We were on the Hill in 2017 when he scored the goal to put us a point up with around 15 to go, genuinely thought we would win it that day

• Advertisement

Hugely disappointing news. Genuinely think he had another year, maybe two in him. Also a bit surprising given the word going around was that he was staying on, McStay even put his neck out and said publicly that he was confident he would stay. Seems like there might have been a u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Great footballer, always left everything on the field, deserved an all Ireland but that's not the way it works. I wish him the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Mayo legend simple as . Slight fear now that mcstay said he detailed his plan to leroy to try convince him to stay and it didnt work, so what does that say about his plan ? Hopefully lee just had his mind made up but just doesn't look good for mcstay when has was so confident he would convince him to stay , that confidence could only be based on his plan. Time will tell i suppose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I don't think this decision has any bearing on McStay what so ever. McStay saying that publicly could have been trying to convince him to stay!

All the best to Lee, favourite player to watch!! Big boots to fill!

You really have to admire a guy like Keegan when you look back over his time playing for Mayo, what he delivered, what he was asked to do, how he conducted himself on and off the pitch, his scoring record as a half back, his unique sense to know when a score was required and when we were under pressure, our go to man for the key players. It is hard to replace guys like him when he was just outstanding.

Mullen and Keegan gone...two nailed on positions that McStay thought were there when he took over... more questions for McStay to ponder....had Keegan more to offer if he waited than McLoughlin, Doherty and AOS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sad news to see a legend moving on....I think we all knew it was coming though, all the interviews he did late last year were flagging retirement as the most likely outcome.

Himself, Higgins and Boyle missing out on the ultimate prize is a travesty 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Guys like Keegan don't come around to often. It was a privilege to watch him in his prime.

Probably the right call for his body at this stage.

Shocked and deflated by the news . I honestly thought he was gonna come back for tail end of league and then give it one more good go for an AI. He prob weighed it all up with Oisin gone as well and decided it wasn’t gonna happen.

A true legend of the game .

Best of luck Leeroy

My hopes and expectations have now been lowered to league survival and trying to win Connacht

Such a shame our FF line weren’t all fit together for the last two years . We will now have a formidable FF line but no defence :D

I do wonder if he will regret going in a couple of years. He absolutely had at least one more season of top level performance in him

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Enjoy your retirement lee and your future

No point committing for an All Ireland that won't be coming anytime soon.

McStay will need 3 years to make a push for Sam.

It feels a little premature to me, but I also don't know what's going on in his family and that seems to have been the major factor in this decision. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him and I really hope it turns out to be the right decision at the right time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement