Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Did anyone ever manage to get a bike carrier suitable for the Ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CBD2

Bought my ioniq new in 2017 and Just wondering if I'm the only one with original battery still on car. 93k kms on clock. Never failed me once and have been getting the battery top up notice regularly for three years now at least. Love this car and am going to drive it til it collapses. Its now the second car but still gets plenty of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 outlyer

Likewise excellent car, have changed the 12v battery but I have 122k km on the clock. Getting 50k km out of each set of tyres with regen breaking being less aggressive. 66kW fast charging and efficiency still provide a decent proposition.

The cold seems to be having more of an effect on the main battery than I used to remember. Just went to book its second NCT looking at a date in August.😲 

Same here with NCT, got date for June 28th. It's on its second set of tyres with plenty left on them still. Did Lucan to Tuam in the really cold weather in early December at 120 on mway. Stopped for 20 mins at ionity Athlone on way down. With the small better and fast charge speeds it's a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I bought mine 2 years ago so not sure if the 12v was changed prior to that but I haven't had to change it, 13k miles the 1st year of ownership for me and 17k miles the second year.

I have thought about changing up but love the extra tech on mine, it's the premium se model

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My 2019 is in for its first nct today, never changed the 12v yet, though I do get the auxillary battery message regular enough. Battery did die on me once but that was due to the car barely moving for over a month during the height of covid, has been fine ever since.

As an aside, no issue with long wait times on nct in my part of the country, only booked it the week before Christmas, could actually have booked it for that day at the time or any day they were open between then and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

I have my Ioniq from September 2020(its a 2017), Battery completely died couple of days after Christmas wouldn't even open the central locking(had to find out how to open with the key!).

Was an easy replacement, I just got the Yuasa mentioned earlier in the discussion from Halfords(€92 with 10% off). The car has 196k and I think it was still on the original battery, NCT is Jan20, booked it in Aug when the wife car had to be booked in!

Love this car! but have noticed the range is a bit worse in the cold weather this year. Would love this car with a better range but it suits my work commute so think I'll just keep driving it!!

Post edited by bootser on

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Have a 2017, 130k km, original 12v battery.

€24,500 on the road with the 5k scrappage deal at the time. Recent service main battery health was 100%. I think about changing but hard to justify. Was offered 14k of a trade in for an ioniq 5, which I don't think is great personally.

Still getting 190km this weather, 220 in summer this year, but with the weather being so good it was actually running super efficiently.

That was a great deal back then alright. We're obviously the lucky ones with the 12v battery. After hearing about so many issues here I was sure it would have failed by now. ( I've probably jinxed it now) I'm still seeing 200+kms of range even now but my commute is only 40km total in off peak Dublin traffic so ideal speed for efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

How inflated are prices on these? I note some high spec (judging by seemingly fancier headlights) coming in at 29k.

I'm interested in going to a full EV and moderately excited by the prospect of the price drops associated with Tesla drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

Had 2017 Ioniq for 2.5 years. Purchased with 41K on the dash sold at 82.5K. In those years changed set of tyres at 60k. Dealers done break fluid change on my request and software updates.

One months after 5 years warranty expired ABS sensor developed intermittent fault. Was hoping it is auxiliary 12v battery so replaced one. Eventually it was the ABS censor so purchased "Optimal" for just over €100. For the second NCT last month changed track rod end, done tracking and replaced key fob`s battery.

On a last day of my ownership (6 years old Ioniq) managed to do 74km motorway driving 96-115km/h onward journey + returning via scenic country roads 81km = 155km. Temperature -3C, -2C outside, no wind. Left preheated at +19C at 98% charge. Should admit finished journey on a turtle mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Mine has 130k (171)kms. Have it 26 months 70k kms. Servicing 50-80 euro at main dealer. No other costs bar set of Michelins Just had its NCT no advisories. Changed 12volt once. Winter range 210-220 Summer 250-275. In the market for new car but I will be holding on to the Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Anyone had their gearbox oil changed "¿

hyundai says it a “for life” item but changing Gear oil would prolong the longevity of the gear box. Easy enough to do according to you tube

I asked at my last service & they said at least 400 to do the gear box oil! Feckimg hell

That's very reasonable for a service. My 5 year service package has expired so will soon be paying for service. What part of the country are you in. I'm in Dublin area but go West about once a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Cool Bjorn Neyland time lapse on the 28 kwh charging at full speed 62 to 68 kW.

From 6 years ago.

https://youtu.be/wb3gJ8fWW5g

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is battery size 28 & 38kWh. 28 are going for around 18k euro. They are better than the equivalent leaf in real world range and real world charging speeds along with high spec.

In terms of pricing it depends. Some would say anything below a 60+kWh battery is only suitable as a second car, but depends on your budget and daily regular trips. All EV have held prices in last few years, high demand, low availability of used & new cars.

Want to know what happens when you get to 0%? I can tell you. Car goes into park and that's it!. Luckily I was on my driveway within distance of my home charger. Previous to this I was on 1% for around 3km, and power was drastically reduced with top speed foot to the floor of around 15km/h.

In my defense I skipped lots of public chargers, indeed there is one around 100 metres before my house. I was maximising the cheap home rate and avoiding public charging. I slowed down a bit to extend range but I took it a bit close to the limit. I was about 1 metre from my normal parking spot! It could have been a few hundred metres earlier and I would have needed help from a neighbour. I recommend assuming you stop at 2% and not risk the 1% full stop. I thought the range percentage would go to --- but it does not. The distance in km does go to --- but the % display is real and there is no useable hidden buffer below 1%. Have fun all, lucky escape.

• Advertisement

Ha ha! I've been there & done that. 1km from my house on a flipping country lane! Had to call a tow truck. Morto

1% is lowest I've got and was never happier to be home. Got caught out by very strong head wind mixed with low temp of 2°c iirc. It was a regular journey and I should have arrived home with about 10% left. Glad you made it to your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Do we know anything about the expected lifespan on these cars, particularly the batteries?

My Ioniq is exactly 5 years with 73,000 km on the clock.

It's battery seems to be still at or close to 100%. I get about 220km in summer and maybe 180k in winter.

Can I expect to still get something close to these ranges in another 5 years? 10?

Is anyone seeing any degradation on their range?

Car has only been for sake since late 2016. It's hard to know for certain but according to the BMS the batteries tend to report 100% up to 160,000km. I suspect the batteries will easily make 10+ years, maybe 15/20 or more. Degredatiion is based on age as well as mileage and charging history.

Mine has almost 100000kms & still reporting 100% battery health with the obd dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I have one of the obd dongles from my leaf, but I recall having problems getting it to connect to the Ioniq. What app did you use? I'd like to check mine as I'm looking to sell it, and it would be good to know.

Canioniq on Android is good. See screenshot. Main thing with dongles is to be sure dongle is connected to phone first before running the app.

Typically the ioniq reports 100% well above 100,000km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All 96 cells equalised to third decimal place🤔

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They use a proper BMS. With active balancing 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

E-golf without heat pump is falling behind as well,

Advertisement