Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"PLANNING and design drawings for a new bus corridor on the Greenhills Road are currently being developed by the National Transport Authority.

Named the Greenhills Core Bus Corridor, the NTA plans to submit the details of the scheme to An Bord Pleanála by March of next year."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I remember leaflets coming through my parents letterbox about the proposed upgrade of the Greenhills road to include a QBC when I was in school.

That was 25 years ago!

Infrastructure takes way too long to get built in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Decision due on Blanchardstown scheme on Wednesday. Surprised it hasn't been delayed already. I'd expect by Wednesday the decision will be put out till June. More concerning is that the cbc scheme appears to have stalled. No submissions to ABP since october and 6 cbcs left to go. The project is about 2 years behind schedule according to information on the website. AFAIK there's no hope of any construction in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The original deadlines were not worth the paper that they were written on. Totally unrealistic and I said that the time.

I don’t see much point in repeadly regurgitating them as they were baloney from the outset.

It was never going to happen within those timeframes.

We just have to hope that some of the “quick wins” referenced by the Minister CAN be implemented in the meantime.

A far more realistic timeframe was quoted to me by an NTA planner at one of the BusConnects network roadshows back in 2019, when I was given a timeframe of 7-8 years!

Even I raised my eyebrows at that, but it’s proving to be more realistic as time progresses.

• Advertisement

Yet bus connects continues to host those timelines on its website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think its better that they let some of the current CBC applications work their way through the system rather than throwing more on the pile. They probably need to focus on getting one corridor to construction first as a trial run and learning lessons before taking on multiple projects. The Clongriffin corridor would be a good test run given to is straightforward as works are being done separately at either end.

That as maybe but they’re still bunkum.

As I posted elsewhere, the NTA have still not updated bus stop timetables following a timetable change over a year ago, so this is in line with that trend. I wouldn’t fixate on them.

Indeed, any timeline they publish now is in the lap of the planning Gods if we’re honest. I’ve long since accepted that they will happen when they happen.

Meh all we really get is trials, no significant delivery of real transport infrastructure since the cross city luas extension 5 years ago which was a disaster for the first 4 or 5 months of its operation. All we've had since then is a few plastic bollards on the substandard 'cycle lanes' we already had and signs....lots of signs.

• Advertisement

So you want them to just keep firing planning applications into an already overloaded ABP instead of focusing on delivering the projects which make it out the other side of ABP, that's your solution to lack of delivery of transport infrastructure?

The main reason LUAS cross-city was initially a disaster was because they implemented it too quickly, so the politicians could say it was opened on time. It was done without the requisite number of new trams having been delivered to maintain service levels on the southern section of the route. Trams were “robbed” effectively to operate the new sections.

It caused chaos as a result of service levels having to reduce until the additional trams finally all arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would also assume that the decision on granting the Blanchardstown CBC will be delayed until June. The construction industry here is not really having a very good time of late with having to deal with staff shortages of plumbers, electricians, labourers and builders.

If you heard about a CBC being granted permission by ABP to be built in Dublin in the near future. How would the construction companies here get the sufficient staff required to build them in full which includes all of the interchanges/bus stations at certain points throughout every project?

If the reported staff shortages in that industry are not resolved in the near future; you could probably expect that there will be a lot of delays in getting them granted permission to be built once they get the official go-ahead from ABP.

The issues with ABP are not linked to general labour shortages in the construction industry, its issues are specific and relate to it being under-resourced while yet being given greater workload. Offcial go-ahead from ABP is permission to build.

The labour for the construction of the corridors will mostly transfer from projects currently ongoing. Things like the N3/Blanch interchange and the Amiens St-Clontraf project will be winding down/complete as the first corridor is getting started. Regardless of who the main contractor is, the labour is provided by subcontractors and the same subcontractors can be involved with multiple projects.

Delaying applications to ABP doesn't really delay delivery of the overall bus corridors project. It isn't realistic to have work progressing on all corridors at the same time, the back will need to be broken on the first couple of corridors before more can start. Regardless of resource availability, the disruption caused to the city would create additional problems and likely see a public backlash.

No, I want the planning machinery in the country to be of a robust standard that can speedily review and grant permission for major infrastructure projects similar to the rest of the developed world without endless rounds of consulting.

And of course the main problem was, let's not forget, it was assumed that we'd have a pedestrianised college green shortly after opening meaning buses would be re routed and not impacted by the opening but of course official Ireland failed to deliver that...again...

Non-statutory consultations are not part of the planning process, they are a political tool to pacify moaners and allow some people to feel their opinion on something they know nothing about is important.

No it wasn’t.

There was no plan whatsoever to re-route buses anywhere as part of LUAS cross-city.

No proper impact assessment of the additional tram lines on the bus network through the city centre was carried out, nor was there any plan for redesigning the bus service through the city centre.

Hence we ended up with gridlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,837 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The big mistake in that project was routing the LUAS around TCD rather than through it. There were a number of possible routes through the college that did not impact on historical buildings but rugby pitch this and cricket pitch that prevented it.

If the LUAS had taken that route, the bus gridlock would have been avoided.

I don’t think going through Trinity grounds would ever have been a runner I’m afraid.

But I certainly can recall correspondence with the RPA at the time, and a discussion with an RPA rep at a roadshow, where I was just staggered by the lack of ANY planning for the impact on the bus service.

It was frankly disgraceful, given the far greater numbers using the bus service then and now.

• Advertisement

So it still says 11/01 as decision date for the blanch corridor, 2 days later and the other bus connects decisions are all postponed by the additional 6 months, which is standard. Odd, I wonder will they shock us and publish a decision soon or is it just administrative error

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There will be no shock decision! Expect at least 12 months for each planning application. A decision on Clongriffin is expected in April/May and construction in early 2024.

As I thought. I wonder what the rational for the current pause in applications is. If we wait till April to continue with applications the programme will be pushed even further. The remaining 6 corridors will still be in planning in late 2024

The last four can still be in planning in 2027 and it won't make a difference to the timeline. Only four can be built at a time and there are six already in with ABP. The fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth corridors can only start in 2026 anyway and the last four can only start in 2028. That said, one was supposed to go in before Christmas. I'm not sure what the delay is. I'd say we'll see them all submitted before summer.

Do you have a revised timeline? Website still says 2027 for full completion

• Registered Users Posts: 27,837 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Trinity did fight very hard to rule it out early on. Garret Fitzgerald was sceptical of the ability to turn the corner at the bottom of Dawson Street, and was actually seen measuring it out one morning.

To cross through Trinity, it would probably have had to come down Kildare Street, anyway, it's done and over with.

Like I said before, I think they need to push ahead with the Clongriffin corridor d focus resources there, even if it is to the detriment of other corridors initially. It should be used as a proof of concept which could be useful when tackling more contentious corridors.

The most difficult part of the Clongriffin corridor (Amiens St-Clontraf) is being done separately so BusConnects isn't getting tainted by that. The corridor can then be held up as a example of the short term pain being worth the long term gain of efficient, reliable bus services. Having the corridor linking with the already operational orbitals will also help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There was never any chance of a Luas running through Trinity, that is a closed campus at night. The campus would have to be accessible to rail (and therefore pedestrians too) during the Luas operating hours which is about 12:30-6:00 I believe.

That hasn't been the case in a long time.

4 constructed in 2024-2026

4 constructed in 2026-2028

4 constructed in 2028-2030

As of a few weeks ago, substantial construction is still expected in 2024 for the Clongriffin corridor if ABP approves in April 2023.

This is how it was supposed to work when a decision on Clongriffin was expected in October.

If every application takes six months more than the original timeline given by ABP (and I think it will) then adding six months onto everything here will give a good indication of the next few years. The order will change due to a change in the submission order (Lucan is already ahead of Ringsend and Kimmage) and some will get held up for longer than others.

• Advertisement

That has the best part of two years between end of planning and start of construction for some corridors. Obviously some of that time will be eaten into by longer planning approval requirement but there should be still time to delay further planning applications and still hit the intended construction start date.

Piling more applications into an already snowed under ABP. Delaying applications until some corridors have been decided might actually help by allowing ABP focus resources on existing applications rather than having to do due diligence on new applications which will then sit at the back of the queue until resources become available. If it were up to me, I'd wait until a second corridor has been adjudicated on before submitting another application, then one new application per decision made.

Advertisement