Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jesus I could have written that paragraph about stress, work and 2022 word for word myself.

I'm into one of the worst weeks of the year for me this week. I only work 2 Saturdays a year one in July and one is this week, so I went from having a 4 day working week last week to a 6 day one this week. To top it off Mrs. loughc has surgery on Friday just gone meaning I'm left minding the little lad last weekend and i'm fitting work in this week around his creché runs, dinner and bed. Some lots of late nights ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

That's a tough week lined up there @Loughc You will get through it. Any chance of making the St Brigid's weekend an extra long one maybe to balance out having to do 6 days this week?

I'm here trying to think of what weeks to take off when really I've a million and one tasks to do and need to focus! We've been so short staffed. Why didn't I win the millionaire raffle :-( This week is a real struggle. I was back Weds 28th but that week and last week are easier than this because you've still got the decorations up, others still have theirs up and there's still people off on hols but this is where it gets tough! I might look for the last week in Jan off and I've Bowie stuff this weekend.

Oh and I got more Christmas decorations for the house I don't have. Tesco were selling off their multicoloured lights, gutter hooks and got a brussel sprout whoopee cushion which my nephew will find hilarious this Christmas. My mam visited her sister yesterday and she gave her this Santa decoration that she didn't have room for so my mam took it for my fictional house as well. I'm telling you, I've all the decorations, I just need the actual house :-P Good luck with this week everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks @A cup of te unfortunately I can't extend St. Bridget's Day as the start of the month is my busy time. But I'm sure I'll get some time off somewhere between now and then!

Also this day 4 weeks is our first proper St Bridget's day bank holiday. That will be nice!!

Also also, if anyone does see multicoloured lights on sale let me know as I want to deck out the back fence this year in coloured lights to match the shed. I love the shed lights and they really brighten up the back but it's still quite dark out there, so more lights are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Good luck @Loughc and @DvB with the stressful work weeks & home lives. Best wishes for a speedy recovery too to Mrs. Loughc.

Our weekend zipped by in a flash of de-baubling the house & children's activities. Everything is down now and put away (bar my mantlepiece garland); we did a great toy clear out too. Put one toy storage unit in the attic and have limited them to four boxes now in the kitchen - kitchen toys, dollies, blocks & cars. If they want to take something out of the attic, they have to give me one of the other boxes to put up. Also did a bag up for my niece of toys they've outgrown & have a bag ready to donate to the creche too. Delighted to have it done! Also got some paint samples as have decided that I'm redoing the kitchen & hallway after procrastinating about it for the last two years. Mr. CL is not onboard but the fact that I have now painted samples all over the kitchen walls means that it needs to be painted whether he likes it or not 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

@Loughc woodies had multicoloured external lights on sale in Blanchardstown over the weekend. Not cheap (c. €64 iirc for 1000 LEDs)

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm back in the office for the first time since mid-December. Thankfully the commute in was pretty painless this morning. the traffic was much lighter than it had been Nov/Dec last year. Even though I worked the four days last week, I still didn't have a great night's sleep last night. Sleeping it out when working from home doesn't put the same fear into me as doing it when I have to commute into the office.

All the decorations are still up in the office, although none of the lights are switched on. I just don't get the same happy glow when I see the decorations in January though. I got all my decorations down in a few stages over the weekend, although they haven't made it up to the attic yet. The spare room looks like a festive bomb site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

@DvB & @Loughc sorry to hear about the work situation, been there, dont that and have the stress lines to prove it! Try not to let it get on top of you and try to do the eating health, sleeping etc as best you can (not easy I know, especially with a young baby). I hope Ms. Loughc makes a speedy recovery.

The first Monday back is not a lot of fun and have some things that were hanging around work wise from last year come back with a vengeance so can't even coast through today. At least day should fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Plan on working a lot less Saturdays and Sundays this year myself, after turning 50 I'm starting to say things like " I don't need this hassle at my age " 😃

But seriously @DvB and @Loughc we do have to consider a work life balance as it is bad for your health in the long run.

@Loughc , best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just heard All I want for Christmas on the radio and the DJ announced its 350 days till Christmas. Not sure what station but one of the Dublin ones. So unexpected ,I loved it!

• Advertisement

I've a feeling that's Ray Foley, that's his favourite song and he ALWAYS teases playing it throughout the year.

Coming in to the office this morning in the car & had Nova on, PJ & Jim were back presenting this morning after their christmas break and with PJ being a notorious bah humbugger there was more than one message read out saying the same (i.e. 50 weeks to Christmas) to which he declared people as 'mad'

Can only imagine what he'd make of us lot in here 🤣

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,493 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's sort of nice having the February Bank Holiday to break up the the stretch into St. Patrick Day, Easter, May, June, August Bank Holidays to get into the semi Christmas semi season!

I often wonder how alot of people would perceive us in this forum haha.

But feck them as we joy spreaders 52 weeks of the year in here :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You can keep your PJ and Jim, wouldn't waste my ears on a bah-humbugger. 😂

I see the ChristmasUK website is gone, as is their Facebook page, which is a real shame, I really enjoyed looking back at previous build ups (especially as they started up just before my kids were born) throughout the year if in need of some christmas cheer, they're staying on via twitter & youtube but the look back option is sadly gone now. Seeing as I can't do that via boards.ie either anymore since the platform change a huge amount of nostalgia is lost to me now which is disappointing.

Less & less dusty tinsel around these days.

AH no I loved that site as well. The twitter account is still good but the main site was their break and butter. The facebook page was good as well. Big shame, shame he didn't hand over the reigns over to someone to run the pages.

Lovely wet start to the day. Very depressing and it's a Tuesday!

Not in the work mood at all today, is going to be a struggle.

Yes very dreary day here too. Miss the glow of the tree on mornings like this.

• Advertisement

I remember last year when one of them (Linus) stepped away there was talk of stopping it there & then, but Nick managed to keep it going in an automated state more or less. I agree that the website was the jewel in the crown though, without that its a shadow of its former glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Very dreary today - hard to get motivated on days like this. Just want to curl up in front of the fire and crochet.

Totally, use to the only lights I would have on downstairs during daylight so really noticed them on dull days like today.

So the Facebook page is still there just hasn't been updated since 11th Nov. Which obviously isn't a good sign as they missed the busy season.

He explained on the twitter feed that he wasn't even aware it hadn't been updating (thought it had been as had the twitter feed), and the fact no one had mentioned it across the other platforms told him that it wasn't being trafficked enough to justify the effort. Figures were low for the website too & the cost couldn't be justified apparently, so another great website is no more.

Thanks to @freshpopcorn for reminding me we are into the 340's today.

Doesn't seem much but the way those 10 day blocks go by.... only 34 more announcements of we are into the 330's, 320's, etc and we'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

As sad as it is that Christmas is over, it doesn't bother me the way it should. Since Covid, time had been going so fast that it will be basically be Christmas again next month.

I think it's a sure fire way we are getting old, the days are long but the months are short.

• Advertisement

Catching up on Podcasts and yes it was indeed Ray Foley on TodayFM that teased playing Mariah Carey as it was his first show back after his Christmas holidays haha

Advertisement