Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you enjoyed working from home?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Just wondered how people are finding this now, given restrictions are all gone?

Personally, it's been a hugely positive development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If it wasnt for covid, Id either still be living in Dublin in our 2 bed duplex with 2 kids, or we would have bought a 4 bed semi for over 500k. My wife would be working full time in a job she hates and would be incessantly stressed out of her eyeballs. Instead, we moved back to my home area, got a site off my parents, built a good sized 4 bed detached, have a large garden and a large detached garage which I use as my office. She was able to quit her job and be a full time mother and just started studying to be an SNA. I have to go to Dublin once a month for a meeting and I am on the road 4 or 5 times a year for an overnight stay. It has been overwhelmingly positive for our family. If I was closer to the office Id probably go in once or twice a week but Im not prepared to drive over 90 minutes each way for that. Tbf, my employer / direct line manager has been incredibly supportive and he operates on the caveat that once the work is being done (which it is), he doesnt care if I come into the office again. If I ever change jobs the ability to work remotely will be requirement number 1 for any perspective employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Amazing. Such a good quality of life. I'm a night owl, so the fact I have gone from getting out of bed at 6:45, to know getting up at 8:30 has done wonders for me.

To everyone who says that it will effect your career because no one sees you. That's absolutely BS. I've been promoted and have received two pay rises since July.

I go in the office 2/3 days a week and to be honest I prefer having a mix of wfh and office work (I did this pre covid anyway) I don’t think I could ever go back wfh full time, I found it very hard to separate my house from my work but a couple of days a week it works fine.

I should caveat that with I have very young children and whilst the extra time with them is nice multiple tantrums a day can make it hard to concentrate at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

I love WFH. Although I've being doing it on and off for the past 10 years, so well used to it at this stage. Yes, I do sometimes miss having banter and informal chats with colleagues and also having the choice of a nice lunch! But from where I live it takes an average of around 3.5 hours commute each day there and back. I can use that time more wisely and healthily, rather than sitting on a bus stuck on the M50!

• Advertisement

that's really fantastic to hear and delighted for your family - living the dream. Our family hasnt' left Dublin (but nice to know it's an option) but I am saving upwards of 2 hours a day that I would otherwise spend on a Luas.

Working harder than ever too, but it's enjoyable.

many of our friends have left Dublin too, kept their jobs and now live a much more enjoyable life in rural Ireland - it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm another person who has a hard time separating work and home - really need that detach between my workspace and the office otherwise I never switch off.

I've a nice 40 minute cycle commute each way in too so that gets me moving every day. If I was full time WFH I don't think I'd be getting nearly as much exercise.

Delighted it's working out for some folks though, the idea of leaving Dublin for a big house down the countryside sure is tempting sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Might be a bit affected by the shite weather but no I've not enjoyed it as much as others seemed to have had. I'm getting up at 8:30 and I'm wrecked even with a full 8-10 hour sleep I'm destroyed.

I barely get a full hour for lunch as there's meetings scheduled then as it's the most convenient time for the cohort. Between all my meetings I get about 2 hours through the whole day (not all at once) to do my own work.

I feel like I'm doing all the right things when it comes to remote working but I'm not feeling the benefits. I'm great at creating the boundary, the spare room is where I work, I walk in at 8:30-9:00 and I leave at 5-5:30 but it's what's happening in-between that's the problem. I don't come into the room unless it's for work but as soon as it's finished I'm too exhausted to do anything or entertain anyone. I block an hour for lunch and coffee breaks but I end up ignoring them as there's work commitments that pile in.

I'm genuinely glad people are enjoying it and as I said at the start it might just have been the winter months talking but right now this is how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I love it.

More sleep. More exercise time. More time with family. Better quality lunches and dinners. More time for hobbies.

Less costs. Less wasted commute time.

I have become very good at setting my boundaries. It's key. Strict 9-5 now.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

I hated working from home, really struggled with separating work life from home life and in turn it really affected my mental health - I started having panic attacks etc, anxiety was sky high and would go days with out getting dressed properly or leaving the house which led to feelings of depression. Also felt exhausted all the time and had no motivation to do anything. As soon as we could go back to the office I opted to go back full time, I function much better when I have a set routine. I also enjoy the drive home from work as it helps me to unwind by listening to music or a podcast and leave work stuff behind for the evening so when I arrive home I am ready to relax and enjoy time spent with my partner having dinner etc. Yes I saved money from not having to commute but in my opinion that money is worth it for my happiness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I loved my one day of WFH. I got so much done, and could be out in the garden working at 601pm.

Unfortunately the cyberattack removed WFH and IT won't allow it again for "security reasons". So its a moot point really.

For our family, it's been transformative - life has never been better.

I have breakfast with the kids every morning and then start work earlier than if I was commuting. Doing the best work of my career as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I will start by saying that I have a pretty short commute and even before covid we were allowed to WFH a bit, even regularly like 1 day a week or so. And I work in IT with no technical disadvantage when WFH. In fact my home setup is probably better than what I ever had in the office. So it didnt transform my life in the way it did with folks who spent a couple of hours or more per day in their cars and struggle with school runs etc. And it didn't impact my ability to work.

But still, I didnt like it at all at first. I saw the possible necessity at the beginning of covid, but got soon very tired of it and started to miss the company of colleagues.

But after a while I began to see the positives - somewhat overshadowed by the whole covid thing in general - but positives all the same. Could sleep l bit longer. more freedom for running messages and getting things done in the house. More time with my girlfriend/partner of course. There were spells where the whole covid depression weighed on me and productivity wasnt so great but overall I got more done in less time and quality of work improved too. Fewer distractions and more head down and concentrated work is the reason for that I think.

I'm now in the fortunate position that my employer has decided that productivity hasn't suffered or even increased and our return to office is entirely up to ourselves. In our small team we have decided we generally meet up in the office once a week. I could/would do more but some of the lads have longer commutes and I see no point going in when they don't.

So while covid was sh1t it has in the long run improved my work life balance and I have more freedom and flexibility than ever. I have delivered very good quality projects and gotten very good annual reviews on the back of it. Professionally I had a 3 very good years since it all started. It sucked when it was forced but its great now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was doing 1 day a week in the office, just moved to 2 days (long story).2 days is more than enough, I was happy out with just the 1 day.But overall it's the way forward for me, and it will be a number 1 criteria for any future jobs.

The office is busy here today and I am finding I don't miss that pre-covid full office thing. Not one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

currently occasional visits to the office .

If I was made go back more than 1 day a week i'd resign once I sourced another remote working arrangement,

work from home is now on par with salary in considering a job.

Advertisement