Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2023

Options
  • 06-01-2023 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭

New year, new thread. Good luck all with calving 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just putthe 1st one under the camera. I'd say she's going to calve tonight but with heifers you never know do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We'd our first one last night. In cubicle shed, cow not supposed to be due until February so wasn't watching her. Kept to first service . Fr7152. Small heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

2 done. 2 friesian heifers. Both from sexed semen.

Both actually calved after 267 and 269 days.

261 days here, served 21st April. Very short imo. Calf up and drinking but very small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

First Due here 30th of Jan, spent the morning cleaning the cameras. Cameras over the slats were completely unviewable with grime on the lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

4 calved here. All calved on their own but the first one won’t suck the cow or a bottle. I get one or two like this every year and it would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sometimes it is quicker to just go for the stomach tube at the start. It can be sore on the poor feckers though.

You could try the "Madigan squeeze". I think you are supposed to do it within the first 24 hours though for it to work. It seems a bit mad the first time you do it though. The animal just conks out. Edit to add: See video below

I think they did it first on foals but some say they have success with it on calves. It kind of "reboots" them. That is the theory anyway

In most cases though it's just a matter of feeding them manually until they start sucking. Could be a day or could be a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Get a shot of mederantril and b12 off the vet. Normally gets them going here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

Get a 60ml syringe and give him a tub of natural yogurt nice and easy. The texture of it makes them swallow it the right way. I kept a dumb blue going for 2 or 3 days with it last year before then doing the madigan squeeze then which got him sucking from a bucket and then training to cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

It's easy to do. There isn't a particular knack or trick in it or anything. And you don't put that much pressure on the rope. The calf just lies down as if he is asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I purposely didn't let the bull out with the sucklers until the last week in May 2022. I found (last year) with the cows/heifers that calved outside that the calves were far healthier with less setbacks - scour, navel infections etc than their comrades that were born indoors. Also the work load was considerably less as it's generally a busy time of year for us with the other cattle. I'm not expecting to see any calves before the first week of March this year although there is always a possibility of a bought in cull/feeding cow calving before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Do you keep the expectant mothers in a paddock close to the shed, or do you let out as they calve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thats mad! never seen or heard tell of that before!

Wonder if it works?

Have done it twice. The calf started sucking soon an hour or so afterwards for one, but not the other one. Took a few days for the second one but it wasn't done until the calf was over a day old. Whether it "worked" or whether it was coincidence for those specific cases is something that I don't know. There are scientific studies though that say that it can help.

The idea is that it is supposed to mimic the calf being born. So it's supposed to trigger whatever the natural instinct is for the calf to suck which might not have been triggered when it was actually being born

At the moment they are on the stand off pad with access to the slatted unit where they are fed silage at the moment. I will start giving them oats & minerals in a couple of weeks time. If the weather is good enough cows go out with their calves. Later on the ones that haven't calved go on a sacrifice paddock beside the yard until they calve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Any harm to ask are you collecting effluent off that pad? or whats it made from?

Yes it's collected into a smaller underground tank that then runs into the slatted unit. There are drainage pipes underneath the stone and it's covered with woodchip that we get locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Don't have them that often but when you're a week into it with a calf,this seems like the softer alternative

• Advertisement

As far as I know, it's not as effective when the animal is a bit older. Vet told us first 24 hours. But it was new to him at the time as well. Probably not going to cause any issues giving it a go though on one a few days old. It might be just less likely to have any effect

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭anthony500_1

Had my first last Thursday, not due till the 7th of Feb so almost a mont early but she was carrying twins, cow never bagged up and calved out on rough ground on a very bad night, lost one, saved one so all is not lost, they were small I'd say no more then 25kgs each. Live calf had not sucked and bless the poor cow she had not let down the milk. Took plenty of minding to get the calf going on the cow but she is flying it now, I've them left in, and a coat on the calf, I find the coat a mighty job for weaker ones. Unsure was one born dead or not but either way by the time I found him he was gone. Pity but it's not the end of the world. It's this cows 3rd year in a row having twins and the last two years she carried to within a week of her time. I'd normally have them in 2 weeks pre due date but missed this one.

First suckler calf of the year born this morning , pedigree Angus . Had been checking her a good bit this last week, she's on outfarm. She's a bit narky when calving. Checked her at 6am and went over after milking and she's licking her calf,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

On boards at 12.30am, must be calving season

Had to get vet last night. Cow with twisted womb. He untwisted it, got calf up to come out, put ropes on head and legs and said to leave her for half an hour to open up. He left. I was going feck.... left her about 40 minutes. Very big calf. Fr bull. Alive, cow and calf ok, jacked it out.

Barton, a bull I won't be using again. Some calves 10 days early, some way over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I was going to head up to the out farm to check the heifers but noticed a cow going to calf. Hooves were just about to make an appearance (10.20am) I decided I'd go down and have a cup of tea and wait around. By the time I had the tea drank the calf was out and standing. Hopefully most of them will be like this 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Second one but lovely night for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭anthony500_1

Nice to come home for lunch to find this lady out on the ground and up sucking, lot to be said for a handy calf that needs no minding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

First one arrived, not the biggest calf but up and drinking without any intervention.

Advertisement