Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

NGO activist, and asylum seeker, known for stoking the flames, stokes the flames. It's a wonder why a man would want to leave the great progressive rainbow nation that is South Africa. They rebelled against white rule, only to come to the West to cry about Westerners again.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just goes to show the heart of the problem - that chap, Lucky Khambule of MASI, is yet another failed asylum seeker shyster, still here living it up on our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Not enough people. A tiny fraction of our population gave enough of a sh*t to actually raise concerns... the rest simply shrugged their collective shoulders.

The vast majority of people who are complaining now, are only doing so because the flood waters are washing up to their door. The stench is finally reaching their nostrils and they don't like it.

You've got to be very naive not to realise that these consequences would be part and parcel of the process of dramatically enlarging the population of the island. And this is also why our politicians are not doing anything about it, THEY KNEW that all of this would happen... and they are fully committed to their plan. Disgruntled citizens and societal disharmony is all part and parcel of the process. They will hold their nose and keep going with the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you're right though, most people don't care as they are living comfortably in ireland. most people i know have a decent job and somewhere to live in ireland so some refugees in hotels aren't going to be a concern of theirs really, certainly not enough to protest. you'll probably be waiting a while until it becomes enough of a concern for a political party to have a tougher stance on immigration.

• Advertisement

6 year old girl inside the place in Ballymun terrified she would be shot.

Women and children terrorised in their home.

Shameful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

are there actual women and children in there, people on this thread are saying it's just unvetted albanian and georgian fakeugees?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As an aside. There was apoint too when people were gathered and shouting at people in the privately owned/rented apartments that are attached to the Travelodge but not connect to them. Access around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Regarding the cost to get here. Since the vast majority of the recent arrivals are coming from London which has been openly admitted on numerous videos being circulated,it is very cheap to get here.

Take a national express bus from London to Belfast for £47. Then train down to Dublin for €15.99 with no check's due the common travel area .

Have a spot of lunch then claim asylum all within 24 hrs and less than €100.

It's a great little country so it is.

Correct , sex attacks happen daily and are not deemed newsworthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Where did the poster say it was a migrant specific problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Some may do but the landlords will be in for a shock if they are inspected by the council and forced to spend many thousands on upgrades. It's a huge risk to take given that you could be legally forced to do the upgrade work once you let someone move in.

it's like the 2 foreigners murdered in East Wall area by local youths in recent times. The locals didn't seem concerned for their safety then and I didn't hear of any protests, except from the Brazilian community wanting justice for Thiago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Our population is not "unsustainable". 5m is actually quite small by European standards - people are speaking as if population growth in the country is some some sort of extreme and unwelcome aberration that needs to be stamped out (when any economist will tell you that population growth is normally a very healthy and encouraging sign).

Awful, and the poor girl stabbed in the throat for giggles . Also the daily attacks on food delivery cyclists that are not even reported anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So we’re back on the cycle to ‘we have criminals here so it doesn’t matter if we import more’.

Whose turn is it to being up exotic food next?? Then we’ll be back to the Irish emigrating and charity before we start again with Irish criminals.

I'm just wondering why the locals of east wall don't seem to care about actual murders being done to innocent people in their area when it's their own doing it. Then some men being put in an office in the area seems to spook them far more than actual women being murdered by their own. It kind of says to me that they're absolutely full of sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The unfettered free market.

.You get Ayn Rand's book for Christmas?

Ronald Reagan wasn't even as extreme as you and he was a free market extremist nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

But we're not talking about natural organic population growth here... we're talking about an artificial (and highly aggressive) plan to enlarge our population to unsustainable levels over a relatively short period of time.

The people who thought up these hair-brained ideas, had the same outlook that you are expressing. They made some arbitrary analysis of the size of our Island and population, and looked at other nations... then came to the conclusion that our population was too small and we could easily accommodate a much larger one... and now we're in this ridiculous mess because too few people recognised the stupidity of that line of thinking!

Can I ask you, what is wrong with having a sparsely populated country? Why the need to fill up all the empty space with as many bodies as possible? To what end exactly? I'm sure there are people who enjoy the experience of living like sardines in places like Tokyo etc... but there is equally quite a lot of people who dislike it too. (not to mention all the physical and mental health problems that usually skyrocket when you squash people together in densely populated areas)

I guess I just don't get the mentality. People see a space, and feel a deep need to fill it... with very little thought for what societal implications that might bring.

• Advertisement

Hundreds of people attended a vigil for Thiago Cortes who was hit by joyriders in East Wall. Google it. Or were you there taking names and addresses??

Urantsetseg Tserendorj was murdered during lockdown. Vigils and public meeting were not allowed. As seen by the police breaking up one for Sarah Everard 8 days prior to Urantsetseg’s death and arresting attendees.

The facts above suggest to me that someone is full of **** and it ain’t the residents of East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

An economist would also tell you that you need the infrastructure to support it all, which doesn't exist in Ireland. Density arguers always seem to leave out that essential detail. All the same, it all harks back to profit and money with these types, and money isn't everything. Economic growth means little when the rest of society is going backwards. A nation should be far more than just an economy.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The question is where to house the refugees? Do they all stay in tents? I presume they will also have issues finding a place to rent like the rest of people moving to Ireland?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are all going to stay in holiday homes and run down houses in the west of Ireland, the hundred thousand this year will also stay in these homes, same with next year.

All will be magically fixed up for human habitation, within a short time.

In reality this time in 2024 and 2025 there will be less houses built and renovated than in 2022 and no Govt will be able to change that.

It's a jaw dropping fantasy, even before we look at infrastructure, etc etc. A radical free market experiment not seen since the 1880s in America.

I wonder are the Govt trying to leave an almighty housing crisis on the door or Sinn Féin. It's already massive but adding 300k in the next couple of years to demand with the head wind's that housing is facing, anyone ever hear of inflation or the ECB?

Within a few years we'll be looking at 200k, maybe 300k house shortfall.

When you hear people talk about solidarity etc, that is mammy and daddys pocket speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tinytobe

If they are looking to stay somewhere, they will find it similarly hard as Irish students trying to find accommodation. And living in the west of Ireland is probably no choice for a refugee, same as a holiday home. They would need a car to get to there most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Same as activists go on about violent white male incels/toxic masculinity and get very quiet when males from 'certain groups' do the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It’s nothing to do with population in terms of absolute numbers. It’s our capacity to deal with those numbers adequately without impacting the services for existing citizens.

We are already beyond that capacity.

We need to get our shop in order first. Mindlessly swinging the doors wide open for all when most of our infrastructure is already at crisis point is asking for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The same crowd will tell you that increasing populations are increasing pressures on the environment and climate change. More people here will mean more C02 emissions through electricity, transport, food, etc...

I find it most unusual that the ones who shout migrants welcome the loudest are also the same kind of people who berate the rest of us over climate change.

Are all these migrants going to live by candle light and walk/bus/luas everywhere and eat salads from the local allotments or their south facing window sils?!!!

Advertisement