Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Angelica24

That seems unreasonable as it's very onerous on you to have to do all that. Closing the sale of my own house this week and it's been so hectic trying to pack and clean that I will still be packing the day before so if my purchasers try that one I'll have to tell them where to go! I would say no and see what they say as I've never heard that before - that's putting you under crazy stress and there has to be an element of faith on their part that you will pack up on time just as you have to have faith they will transfer the funds on time. Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Turns out this is a normal thing now, most solicitors are asking people to do this and movers are saying they're hearing the same thing. Thankfully were sorted with moving the stuff into the house were buying early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi there, would love some advice please.

We spotted a house for sale in the local area (rural) at the end of 2020, 80s bungalow, 3 bed, it was a 30s cottage extended in the 80s. At the time we weren’t in a position to buy. It was on the market then for 250k, and last summer it went to up 285k, and then in Nov just gone back down to 250k.

In generally in this area very little goes up for sale, mainly people build new houses. But during 2021 a number of houses did go up, and sold pretty quickly, 3-4 months average. However, this house remained on the market.

I had originally emailed to EA in Feb-21 to enquire about it. He told me at that point that there was a bid of 235k on the house, and he felt it would likely go for 245k. At the time we weren’t in a position to buy, and assumed the house would be gone.

Since then we have saved our deposit, and before Xmas applied for our mortgage, and as there is so little for sale in the area decided to go and view the house. We were pleasantly surprised. While it is dated, it is in a very liveable condition, and has been well looked after over the years. We requested a second viewing and the EA arranged for the owner to be there, he was very nice, showed us around, explained about the work done to the roof, the new boiler, water and BER tests recently completed etc. He seemed very keen and genuinely wanted to show up the house. He himself is retiring and moving away so seems to be a credible reason for selling.

When we got mortgage approval last week we decided to make an offer. We decided to go in at 225k. The EA has told us he is unlikely to take less that 240k, but for us the house has been on the market for over a year and the EA has told us there hasn’t been any interest. When we asked about the 235k offer he told us about earlier last year he was very vague, and just said “that it ended up that they couldn’t come up with the money”, and that “we stuck with them for too long”. He has now come back to say that he wont take anything less than 240k.

We just have this niggling worry about the house, is there something wrong with it? It is on the market 14 months, and while properties don’t move as quickly as in some areas of the country, we still find this really suspicious. 2 houses were sold mid last year, for similar amounts, and neither were a lot better, and were in much more remote locations. 2 other houses sold that were major doer-uppers and we were shocked they went so quickly and for full asking price. There is a small cottage for sale nearby now, and speaking to the EA there have been 3 bids already. We asked the EA why it hadn’t sold and he was vague and said “well its in a remote area and its not everyone’s cup of tea”. Our big worry is that something will come up in the survey and that is why the other buyers pulled out.

For us there are literally no other properties for sale in this area, we are really keen to buy something as we are currently staying with family. We really like the house, can see huge potential down the line, its close to family, childminder, school, and has a big lawn, and we can move straight in. Is it just a case that there hasn’t been any interest and the fact that the owner will not budge much on the asking price, or should be worried about a house that has been on the market for such an extended period of time which looks like a great buy on the outside?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Sorry its so longwinded! 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Go and get the survey, sounds like your cup of tea and a great opportunity for your family.

What works for you rather than thinking why it did not work for others is a rabbit hole one can go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In your circumstances, I would probably go lower than €225k and allow yourself to be bid up to that level, perhaps. If they couldn’t get an offer of more than €235k and then from a sketchy buyer, I would not rush to pay that level. Did you get the BER cert? I assume that it is at best a D and that may be from a new boiler and similar changes rather than a retrofit. €235k is probably less than the cost of a new build anywhere in the county but that would be a more highly rated house with lower running costs.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I think we are just wrecking our own heads. On the face of it the house seems in great condition, we will get a survey done to make sure it is, and there are a lot of positives for us. I guess we never expected that the house would still be on the market when we finally got approval, and maybe we are sceptics! I guess its the scale of the purchase, and lack of other available properties in the area. It is the only house we have seen, just wish there was even one other for comparison purposes!

Thanks for your response. We went in at €225k, and EA was back in a day to say the buyer would only take €250k, but he would go down to €240k, but that is as low as he will go. I guess fair enough, we had hoped for a bit less seen as there isn’t another other bidders and the length of time on the market.

Yes BER is D2 so pretty low, and will mean we will have to do some retrofits. There was a new boiler fitted in 2021 which in fairness is great, and insulation fitted at attic level, so in the short term the house is very liveable, but longer term we would like to upgrade.

You are right €235-240k is far less than the cost of a new build anywhere in the county, while we would have a site available to us, I know we wouldn’t build anything for €240k with the cost of materials soaring at the moment. Mortgage Broker had said he was telling people to have €70-80k in reserve for new builds at the moment, it is just insane. And to buy a new build in the nearest town you are talking at least €320k ++

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Go for it. Put the bid you are happy with then walk away. Don't bid 240k if not happy with that price. Just put what you see fit and walk away.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Been there for the last 18 months, but in an urban area so had some houses in the estate we ended up in the end - to go and compare by in the property register. But the variations in prices were substantial even at that.

Even though houses were all similar size - you do see that some people's needs are different. An extra room, bigger garden, garage converted or not, condition of the interior finish were all factors why some people would bid higher on house. So as long as your needs are met - then that's really all that matters.

Get your survey - once you see the work that goes into a BER assessment - you realise it is really a VERY rough guidance. Anyhow D2 for a bungalow is not so bad as cost of retrofit will be on the cheaper end of scale for sure. Replacing Windows and Doors alone (no need for scaffolding) will probably get ya to C1/B3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shivvs

Hi All,

Has anybody had experience with the BOI mortgage saver accounts?

I bought my first home at the end of 2022 and got the mortgage saver bonus of 2k less the 33% DIRT. When BOI confirmed the bonus was paid they said as a FTB you may be able to claim back the DIRT. Has anybody done this recently and if so how? On revenue website it looks like the option to claim it back finished in 2017?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sellinggaff

Hi,

I inherited my mam's house last summer. I was both the executor and the only inheritor (only child).

For probate, I inherited

• 105 cash in her bank
    • one house. A solicitor I consulted advised me to have my estate agent deliberately over value the house on the probate report- he explained that if the EA honestly thought it was worth say, 200k, but I managed to sell the house for 230K, I would have to pay tax on the 30K underestimate.

Probate, with house overvalued, came in in May 2022 at 330k- 225k house, 105k cash in bank. Just under the 335 or whatever where I would have to pay inheritance tax.

Currently selling the house. At the time of probate valuation (March) the EA thought (honestly, not over value for probate) 190k in its current condition, 225 if we did major renovations. He put down 225k on the probate valuation. I gave it a lick of paint and some new carpet, when it was time to go on the market he said we would chance our arm and put it up at 240K. Nobody bit for 2 months, so we put it down to 205k, a few offers started coming in and we have settled on 195K (which is roughly what I thought the house would be worth from the start going off sale prices for similar homes in the area, but I guess EA always hopes some eejit will bite the mad price).

I am absolutely stumped now as to whether, minus fees, I keep this 195k in its entirety or I am liable for tax. I had believed the only way I would be liable for tax would be if the house managed to sell at a price that would bring my inheritance over 335K (e.g house sells for 240k, so I would have to pay 33% tax on the amount that brought me over the 335k threshold)

If I am liable for tax, is it taxed at the source or do I get all the cash in my bank and contact revenue to resolve at a later period?

Also, my solicitors forms are asking whether I was resident in the property prior to sale. Stumped whether how I answer this will have an affect on taxes. I didn't live there for 20 years, is this relevant?

TLDR version-

Total estate inherited according to Probate- house valued at 225k, 105k cash. 330k inherited.

Selling price I am getting for house- 195k, so actual amount inherited would be 300k.

Am I liable to pay tax, and if so how much and is it deducted upon payment or do I settle with Revenue myself.

If I am liable, I'd sooner put Revenue on the long finfer, buy myself a house. and deal with them later.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cailinglas1

Hey everyone!

We're on our mortgage journey two years. We have actively looked at second hand homes at various times and in summer 22 decided to pause because everything we liked was going for 50-100k over asking.

We've found a house we love once again. Viewed three times already. The EA said to us at the first viewing that the house was on the market last summer and reached in excess of 110k over asking but the sale fell through because of finance issues on part of bidder which caused a falling out with that EA!

The house is circa 1970s and needs easily 50-75k in renovations to modernise. It is liveable in it's current state but naturally will need electrics and plumbing looked at. We are eager and have kept in touch with the EA around once a week to see about interest. He is adamant the vendor will not accept a bid below asking.

The house is on the market 7/8 weeks and no bids yet. We are holding firm until something happens and if nothing happens by the weekend might go in around 25k under asking (it's a fair bid considering it needs work). We will end up going asking, if a bidding war starts. Anyone experience of the bidding scene recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Is the asking price the same as last summer or is the new asking at the price they had got to last summer? Seems mad they would accept offer 110k less than last summer. Like even if it was 550k house thats like 20%

Absolutely go for it and bid below asking. They won't get the mad bid of 110k over asking. I see this with couple of houses I am watching.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cailinglas1

It's up for 50k more than in summer. The EA has said they don't expect to achieve such significant bids over asking. They are still showing it so it could well go for above asking but with no bids in 2 months I'm wondering is this a reflection of a slower January and people awaiting approval etc.

The current asking is inflated imo and wonder is that impacting bids etc.

Or mortgage rates going up making people think twice when they bid as it will cost them more in the long run.

That peak is gone.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I can't see how you would be liable to tax. You came under the 335k limit. The reason the solicitor recommended that the EA overvalue it, I would imagine, is so that the sale wouldn't trigger any CGT liability if it gained in value between the date the property was bequeathed and the date of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Tis never a good idea to put Revenue on the long finger, from what you say you aren't liable for tax so no point. If in doubt, spend 100 on a consultation with a local tax advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

double post

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

I asked the same question here, but got no respone.

I opened an enquiry with the revenue. I can let you know when they reply

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

There are a couple of taxes at play. Total inheritance is below the tax threshold so no tax there.

However if the house you inherited was sold and you made a profit you would be liable for CGT on any profit. Profit on the sale of your Principe primary residence is tax free. Hence why you've been asked if you every lived there - if you had you reduce your tax liability in line with the proportion of time you were living in the house. The relevant time frame is when you inherited the house to when you sold it I.e., the period you owned it. What you did 20 years ago is irrelevant as you didn't own it then.

So..

You inherited a house worth 225 and then disposed of it for 195. That's a paper loss of 30k. No paper gain so no CGT liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice about this. I've been living in a council house for more than ten years. The property has been valued at €400,000 which is of course madness for a two-bed terraced house, but it has a lot going for it. It's on the dart line, so twenty minutes into town, has an unusually large wraparound garden as it's an end terrace, and because of its particular coastal location there are gorgeous walks in every direction you go. Because I've been living here so long and because of my salary amount I have the option to buy at a 40% discount.

There are severe restrictions attached to the sale however, you have to live in the house for the full duration of the mortgage, if you sell you have to give first option to the council, and you have to give back significant amounts of any profit to the council too. I think the last two stipulations are fair enough but I don't like the idea of being locked into a property for the next twenty years. What happens if the area goes to shyte? It is possible with the huge volume of high rise housing being thrown up all around us on the northern fringe of the city. Some social problems have already begun because of it.

There's an argument to be made that it'd be madness not to buy this house at €240,000 when it's valued at €400,000, but there's also an argument to be made that the restrictions imposed really dictate your life and also that we're beyond Celtic Tiger peak levels in house prices now and a crash is possible. I wonder though how probable is a property crash given demand still far outstrips supply in Dublin not to mention countrywide and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon?

In my shoes, what would other posters do? Would you just buy the house and put up with being locked into an area where anti social behaviour that didn't exist when you moved in has begun to be apparent and might potentially run out of all control? Would the 40% reduction be enough to take the risk? What would you do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you don't buy it now can you stay living in it? Do they revalue it regularly or is this a one off offer? If it can be revalued, why not hold off another 6 months and see how market looks. Do you think this is your home for life? lots to factor in, but sounds like a great option and ticks all your boxes. Take a look around for a house with all that at that price, seems like a bargain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gem898

Hi there, we're currently sale agreed, no closing date yet but expect to hear in next week. We need to hear from people who have gotten a waiver for mortgage protection insurance.

Im approved but my partner's was postponed until July and it's not an appointment we can bring forward but the medical reason is not a risk to his employment or ability to repay.

We've asked our mortgage broker for a waiver but he made out that if we got a waiver that my partner's income wouldn't be considered for the mortgage which to me reads that the waivers aren't a thing.

Has anyone gotten a waiver for mortgage protection insurance where both incomes were considered for the mortgage? We're with BOI but would consider other banks.

Any advice or guidance welcomed.

Yes I can stay living in it and it can be revalued again. The problem with holding off for any length of time is that house prices are soaring and between our demand/supply issue in Dublin and our incompetent government I'd likely find myself in a worse position in six months time. However I'd still have the discount which is a major blessing no matter what the house is valued at. Thank you for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Dublin house prices dropped in the last report by 0.34% between September and December of 2022. This will continue and I can not see you being in a worse position in 6 months time prices will be lower I would see what January brings with regards to prices and see if it continues.

https://businessplus.ie/news/dublin-house-prices-2/#:~:text=However%2C%20in%20Dublin%20city%20the,the%20stream%20of%20potential%20homeowners.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d agree with FB, currently selling in Dublin, had sale agreed last august, for over asking, fell through, sale agreed again now for asking and I snapped their hand off. Praying this one closes. I think 6 months waiting will tell a lot, you could do a no spend 6 months to help reduce mortgage a bit. Best of luck with it, sounds like a super spot.

Thank you both for your replies. pc7, can you tell me what a 'no spend 6 months' means? Do you mean just spending as little as possible for six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

Looking for information on a survey on a secondhand house. We've just gone sale agreed. Valuation is being organised by our broker and everything else I'm aware of is in hand ,I think. My question is, what should a survey include? I was onto what seems like a large reputable surveyor and they note that things like electrics, rads and boiler/burner aren't checked. Is that standard?

If so I should just go to the property myself and check all outlets, rads, etc are working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

That is fairly standard yes. There are crowds who do those surveys but like you would normally only do them if you had concern. Like if its an old house and you know electrics and plumbing old then survey not telling you much more than know. But like our house had cheap refurb and electrics looked done but then older fuse box so didnt look professional. Did survey and there was issues. You could keep spending money on surveys forever

Advertisement