Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Prices to stay at this level until 2025. Anyone with solar panels is a smug so n so

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Fair play to EI, I called a month ahead of my contract running out and got offered 22% after a bit of haggling. They said they would put a note on the account and to call back in on my final day of contract and they will uphold it.

I was skeptical but called this morning and they kept their word

Day rate 36.6c, night rate 17.78c, standing charge 83c (which was higher when I originally called 99c)

Look to speak to Shrea on 01-9025245, lovely to deal with

Post edited by SeanyMc22 on

Are those rates including VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Anyone considering changing providers now after the electricity credits have been applied?

With Energia I'm still about 300 EUR+ in credit on electricity after the multiple grants (each two months the electricity bill is about 100-120 EUR). Probably can't transfer them, so it's another win for the energy companies with much less people changing providers this year looking for a better deal elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

I was speaking to Energia as I have a similar credit on my account. They said it would be transferred to a new provider if I moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Your are entitled to have any credit on your account to be refunded to you on switching supplier. You might have to request the refund.

With regard to the government credit the supplier you were with when the credit was paid is responsible for paying you the balance of any remaining credit. Information on this is available on the CRU website (cru.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Also with Energia and contract due to expire on the 20th of this month. Was on to customer service yesterday as I am €838 in credit. He said if I switch to just give them a call and once the final bill is taken from the credit the remainder will be refunded to me and not the new supplier. Also on something that came up earlier in this thread, my next bill will be generated on the 11th of this month so I questioned whether I would get my 41% discount for the period 11th to the 20th. He said their billing works different to contract in that my next billing period starts on the 12th so whatever rate I am on on the 12th will be the rate for my next two month bill. I am not holding my breath on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I just got our first gas bill since prices went up. €554 vs €340 for the equivalent period last year. We’re with Bord Gais now. We had another supplier this time last year.

I’ve run the rule over changing on Bonkers and Switch. Difference seems so small, it’s not worth it.

The days of locking in a fixed price for 12 months seem to be gone.

Gas is very expensive.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got a similar jump, average 350 up to 540.

The 2nd €200 from the government did land in my account on the 5th so at least that's a help.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

Must check if our €200 has arrived.

Our €554 bill was also based on much lower usage. We just didn’t turn on the gas as much.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭in2dark

What is appalling is that the gas wholesale price is at pre war levels for some time now. However the monopolistic cartel with the blessing of the "green" minister is not passing the savings to consumers. They will make crazy crazy profits in the coming periods and noone says a word....

Comparing energy plans has become as confusing and complicated as comparing health insurance plans.

If only gas and electricity had the transparency and nimble response to wholesale price changes that oil has. With oil, we only have one number to ponder; the cost per litre on the garage forecourt sign. Simple.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Labelled

That is not true.

The price we pay is based on wholesale prices purchased in bulk by the likes of the ESB.

They are quite conservative by nature and had hedged the price of electricity quite substantially, therefore, it took a long time for the energy price increases to be reflected in our bills.

It will also take a similar period of time for the now lower costs to be reflected in our bills.

This has nothing to do with the Green party or government. It is just how modern energy markets work.

It would be nice if energy company's listened to government. It would be great for FF/FG if the cost was lower instead they have to use the corporation tax boon to top up our private electricity accounts. I personally believe the energy companies would be more likely to tell the government to F off before they would take direction on pricing. That is one reason why governments are talking about a special "excess profits" tax on energy companys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice rant but some it's some shite.

We (Ireland) don't buy gas from Europe/Dutch futures market where delivery prices for late 2023/2024 have fallen dramatically.

We are completely reliant & at the mercy of the UK energy market where current & future gas prices are still 300% more than they were 2 years ago.

There will no savings to consumer IMO until we get access to EU market in 2025 when France - Ireland interconnect is completed. Just like Minister said....

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

Anyone know what is up with bonkers? I just searched for electricity & it is only showing me flogas, pinergy & pre-pay power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

If you select "No" against the question "Only show tariffs available for sign up?" you will see additional offers. You will have to use the suppliers website or contact them by phone to switch to any of these additional price plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Flogas have launched a fixed priced energy offer. Lower rates than the market but you obviously take the risk that market prices won't decrease over the year.

Energy supplier Flogas has become the first to offer a fixed energy deal in the Irish market in almost three years.

Is that not false by Charlie Weston? Energia has it for years and is now advertising its fixed rate EV Plan on radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It may be the first that doesn't require you to pretend you have an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Their rates are crazy dear

I had them call to the door this w/e. My wife answered & told them i look after the bills so he came back the next day. Trying to convince me to leave my current provider, pay €100 for leaving early & then go onto higher rates & higher standing charge just to get €400 for switching.

I pointed out that at their rates my last electricity bill would be 170 higher so id be loosing money switching. He still tried to push me into switching.

I hate when they call to the door, this was the closest I came to telling them to f off. I've warned tre wife to tell them not to come back next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Received the 2nd €200 credit this morning with Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gas prices are bought/set 6 months in advance, probably always will be.

Have been for a very long time.

That's not going to be changed by any Minister, or State. Other things should be done of course but the gas price drops now will feed in in the summer and the fear then will be gas prices next winter, which is the big concern, Russian LNG was a significant filler of reserves in the last few months, that's over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

It looks like Flo Gas is currently the only provider offering a good cashback amount (150Euros). Their unit rate is similar to what I'm currently paying with Airtricity therefore I might consider switching. The only thing I'm not sure about is their Standing Charge and how it compares to other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

With €150 cash back it works out dearer than the BG OBS offer by circa €280 for an average 4,200 KWH user.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Whats the OBS offer, I am out of contract with BG next week so will be losing my 25% discount and bonkers tell me that this new offering from Flogas is the only offer out there where I will save any money

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

I’m always polite and just tell any utility/charity callers that I don’t buy anything at the door and then close it. It got so bad where I live at one stage anyone who called id follow up with the company they represent and told them to remove me from their databases. Seemed to work for a while anyway

• Advertisement

You can always take the flo gas offer & switch again ifca better deal comes along. You'll have to pay €50 for leaving a contract early though

Advertisement