Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Agreed Labour were lucky it wasn't covered more, it's not a vote winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In hindsight the whole dementia tax debacle (and her chequers deal) is why I actually have a lot of respect for May. She grasped the nettles of old age care costs and I can see how corporate types will pay good wedge to hear the inside stories of trying to turn around the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Is it though? Any criticism of israel's treatment of Palestinians gets conflated with antisemitism. I find it hard to believe that actual antisemitism is rampant in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No actual evidence to suggest it was rampant no. People don't need evidence to spout their absolute bollocks though.

It was, as coined by the late Anthropologist David Graeber, the weaponisation of antisemitism.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya wrong word. It certainly wasn't a hot topic at any Momentum or Labour meeting in my area.

More widespread would be a better term.

• Advertisement

...but what form did this widespread antisemitism take. As David Graeber said in the video posted above, Jeremy Corbyn was labeled a anti-Semite because he has been a long term campaigner for Palestinian rights and a section of the media wanted to attack him on something/ anything. That does not make him an anti-Semite.

I'm still not explaining myself right. It's more spread out and no more a Labour problem than any other group in society.

It's not this huge Labour problem that exists only there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's fair enough. The coalition gutted local council budgets and since local authorities are responsible for social care, that went to pot. Nobody since May has even talked about the issue beyond vague platitudes. The problem is that she tried it while negotiating with the EU and the end result was that she was shoved out by rebels. You just don't mess with wealthy older voters here. You just don't.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Good on Starmer for coming out and saying he'll repeal this insane anti strike legislation the Tories are bringing in once he gets in power. Refreshing to see.

The legislation is supposedly a mess anyway, Peston has a long Twitter thread on how vague and poorly written it is.

This truly is a desperate government, devoid of talent or any kind of decency.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jesus. Thing are slowly getting worse.

There's an intergenerational wealth gap, not nearly enough housing and a shrinking pool of rental properties and this is the solution.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Who is it that suggested this tax break?

"Our 50-year-olds are so financially set, they're able to retire early. Let's not tax them so they continue to work."

It's like something out of a sketch show.

Some lad with a few pints in him round James Heale's local I would say.

Either that or James is trying to slip his own idea in wherever he can.

I don't know.

Treasury officials are being urged by senior ministers to consider exempting people over the age of 50 from income tax entirely for up to a year to encourage them to start working again.

I suspect it's a play to try and attract more votes given that nobody under 40 has any reason to vote Tory.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without looking into it myself, I'm presuming as well the idea is to encourage those looking at retirement to keep working, and arrest the constant shortage of expertise in various trades & sectors?

In that I guess it's aimed at Johnny Plumber thinking of retiring to Cornwall at 55 'cos he's fed up fixing boilers in winter - than Joanna Officedrone still at her desk working IT and worried of ageist forced retirement. As if money is the only reason people keep working; but then that's so Tory to think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In fairness to him, he mentions the idea in order to point out what a bad idea it is.

In the 37 years that Johnny Plumber was doing his job there should be more lads coming up a few years behind him who will be just as experienced. I shouldn't be Johnny retiring to be replaced by an 18 year old.

If there isn't there lies your problem and not johnny wanting to retire.

Why not give the tax breaks to the 18 to 25 year olds to encourage them to take up plumbing ?

Just like all the fellas who come on here with "copy & paste" Tory dogma and then say " I don't like Brexit by the way"

He didn't actually say in the tweet it was a bad idea he just said it won't win them young votes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The young plumbers that were coming up the ranks were generally called Pavel than Johnny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was intending to same thing as @Sam Russell - part of the problem the Tories are now trying to "fix" was basically Othering the very demographic plugging that gap; Pawel the Plumber was supposed to replace Johnny, but has now left cos the UK has institutionalised hostility towards foreign workers & migrants. Well, that and CoVid of course upending that international dependency in Western countries, with so many going home during the pandemic; a problem similarly seen here too with everything from restaurant staff to créche workers.

That's true. But the place they are now in and the one the Tories want is a country without Pavel and the solution to that problem is not to keep old people working a bit longer.

My aunt runs her husband's plumbing firm in north London. They exclusively hire Romanians. My brother once asked about this and the response was along the lines of "These ones are trustworthy".

I don't think a lot of Tory MPs are overly bothered about foreigners. It's largely their affluent constituents in the home counties who rarely see them who rage and rail against it, fomented in no small part by the red tops. This is ultimately the end result. Create an artificial barrier between the market and the supply chain, add some spice with a hostile environment and you get this. Before someone says that other EU countries are facing this problem as well, they weren't stupid enough to exacerbate the problem via Brexit.

You either breed a workforce or you import it. AI won't be servicing your boiler or emptying your bins any time soon. Stripping away workers' rights is just the next step down the road to calamity. Those migrants that Pixelburp alludes to who left and didn't come back didn't see reason to. There's even less reason to return to an employer who ditched you at the first opportunity. Even the university I work for has some serious strikes on the way.

H. H. Asquith

The other myth fermented by the red tops to go along with the evil foreigner is the myth that there is this huge unemployed pool of British talent ready to explode on to the scene as soon as the foreigners stop holding them back by taking the jobs.

Truth is most people in the UK same as here who are unemployed have a good reason or are just scrotes who won't ever work.

Nuance was never something that red tops ever cared for though. Ditto for the world of 300-character tweets. Unemployment was usually low here. Very low. In a country so riddled with toxic exceptionalism, this one always got me. No pride in the fact that hundreds of thousands of people were coming here every year, just the same old racism and xenophobia while exporting old people to France and Spain.

In fairness to someone who is unemployed in somewhere like Sunderland, moving to a crammed London flatshare to hand over almost half your net income to a landlord isn't that much of a step up when you'd have to leave your community behind to do so. Don't even start me on the cost of trains.

H. H. Asquith

I know it's tough because I went to London myself for a minimum wage job but the fact is young people need to move to where the work is. It never stays in the same place and people in those industrial northern cities who complain about having to leave forget that those cities only exist because loads of people had to leave other places in the 1800s to chase the work there.

Exceptionalism over there also means English people think having to move for a job is for lowly foreigners.

Trains are crazy. I wanted to explore a lot more of England while there but a train north is twice the price of a flight to Berlin or Madrid.

I've done the same myself. I've lived in Oxford, Manchester, Brighton & Hove and now London. I've identified potential roles in Utrecht, Heidelberg, Galway and Stockholm as well having applied for roles in Ghent and The Hague. I love London though and it'd kill me to have to leave. Seen a role in Glasgow I might like as well. Housing is the issue as well but of course nobody in politics wants to seriously talk about it.

H. H. Asquith

The entertainingly technical detail of Wendover Productions on YouTube produced an exacting history of Rail Privatisation in the UK. They usually cover US centric infrastructural subjects but this one I was reminded of with mention of Train Pricing. I certainly found it enlightening about how and why the UK's trains are how they are; Ireland's own system isn't exactly cheap as chips itself, but seem leagues better than the clusterfúck that the UK has created for itself.

(I know this is technically a video-dump given I'm not preferring an opinion on the subject myself; but think it's useful context for those outside the bubble)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of those guys are unskilled, unfit, unhealthy, poorly educated and so on i.e. would have very little to offer potential employers.

A huge problem is that migrant workers were always portrayed in negative terms by the media, that they were a drain on resources, that the country was doing them a huge favour in letting them in etc. Xenophobia and economic illiteracy seem to go hand in hand with the media people.

• Advertisement

By cheap do you mean to run or ride ?

I find the price as a customer amazing in Ireland. It shocked me how cheap ours had become when I moved home compared to the UK. (maybe I lived in the UK too long)

Advertisement