Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peace commissioner in Cork

Options
  • 03-01-2023 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10 BalticBear

I have called a couple of Garda stations to ask for a peace commissioner.

I have only been given a name, James O'Connor in the region of Douglas. Cannot for the life of me, find any details about the man.

Could any one help out, I need my passport and form to be signed of, commisioner of oath wants to charge an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks!

-------------------------

For anyone looking for peace commisioners in the future

Email info@justice.ie and they will provide an excel list with all the peace commisioners in your county.

Post edited by BalticBear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There was a thread a couple of years ago on this, see: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058091946/peace-commissioner

One of them is on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Kieran Barrett, owner of the Orchard Bar Ballinlough is one, give them a call on (021) 429 1696, he's there pretty much every day (and the phone is fixed now :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Robert Nairac

There is a travelling peace commissioner who will come to your house if you want. His name is David O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's such a ridiculous scam with no real world purpose. It's just a way to bestow power and/or money on favoured individuals!

The system should, in my opinion, be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's no payment for being a peace commissioner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Is this universally true?

Commisioners of oaths get paid, though, don't they?

Either way, it's an antiquated, discriminatory system, giving certain individuals power over the rest of us, however small that power is.

Obviously, I have nothing against any peace Commisioners, I just think it's a ridiculous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

The role of a Peace Commissioner or Commissioner for Oaths is not merely to autograph a page they actually

1. Confirm your ID. This is very important.

2. Vouch that you signed the document in a specific place on a specific date.

3. Vouch that you "declared" the document to be true.

It would be easy to abolish lots of things but if you do then it will open fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

No need to email the dept. Their list includes people who have died or moved.

If you Google its better because you will find the Commissioners who are actually alive and in the area and want to be available.

I suppose my point is that a PC or CO doesn't know me from Adam. Surely getting these types of things done in a Garda station makes more sense, where one might be less likely to commit fraud.

Or, like most legal documents, you get a signed witness.

What qualifies one to be a PC or CO? Why is their witnessing more valuable than anyone else's?

They don’t get paid money in any way, shape or form by anyone. It’s a totally voluntary job. Does this answer your universal question?

How do figure out they have power over you/us? They don’t have any power over anyone except maybe the Gardai in rare circumstances. If the Gardai want a search warrant granted under circumstances where a senior officer or Judge is unavailable to sanction it they can ask the local Peace Commissioner to sign it off. It’s a decision for the Peace Commissioner to make once the Gardai have given their reasons why they want one urgently. The Peace Commissioner can quite simply refuse to sign permission for the search warrant, no Garda can demand he/she must sign it.

Thats the only time the Peace Commissioner has any “power” over anyone.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I apologise to any peace Commisioners or their friends/family that I may have offended.

However, I still think that it is an antiquated system that, in my opinion, should be reviewed. I have nothing personal against PCs or CAs. I just don't agree with the system.

For example (for Commisioner of Oaths)

"A certificate or certificates of fitness generally signed by six members of the legal profession and six leaders of the local business community should be exhibited in the affidavit."

I just simply don't accept that members of the legal profession or business leaders are, by definition, more trustworthy than anyone else.

This is the kind of attitude that I find antiquated and wrong! It's up there with having stuff signed by a priest or "professional person".

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Peace commissioners may not charge per se, but anytime I've ever come across anyone using their service, the PC has been given a few euro for their trouble.

I'm not saying whether U agree or disagree with the role, but there is most certainly a lucrative aspect to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Robert Nairac

These requirements make it almost impossible for the average person to become a commissioner of oaths. I agree that it is discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

His price starts at 185 and goes up depending on number of pages and your location. I think this is extortionate as some solicitor would do 10 euro per document. If my signature is worth 10 euro it's like winning a lotto. But for 185 per set of pages, that's the dream right?

Carpenters and plumbers get paid too but the thread is about Peace Commissioners.

Sure compare apple to oranges. Carpenters and Plumbere do get real work done. Again one Commissioner for Oaths is charging 180 for 7 signatures. This thread is not solely about peace comissioner, I know they are free, but getting hold on them is really difficult unless 'you know someone'. Again, this practice is archaic.

• Can it not be done by a solicitor ? I seem to remember paying about 30 quid.

Advertisement