Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

I have one for sale with a clamp that's never been used if interested drop us a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Got a Zappi installed. Do people leave their unit powered on between charges? Will probably be 4-7 days between charges so is it necessary to leave it on? Also do they hold their memory if powered off - Date/Time, internet settings etc.? Don't have solar or batteries so it is only monitoring the main house supply.

I leave mine on but it's more that I have solar and eddi and they are paired together..it should remember it's settings if powered off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd leave it powered on, it doesn't consume much power when idle.

Power cycling just reduces the lifetime of electronics.

Also, the Zappi can be used as a load monitoring tool (via an app on your phone) if you buy the hub. Thats a useful benefit in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Quick question just to clarify, help much appreciated in advance

Who can upgrade the tails for you?

My father is in the process of getting a charger installed. The guy came out, did half the work, then told him he needs the tails upgraded and left without finishing the job. He also didn’t give my dad clear instructions of what to do next so he’s a bit lost.

Does he need to ring ESBN to do the upgrade or can a local electrician do it? I presume ESBN need to be involved at some point for sign off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

A local rec can do this for you

just be aware that your whole house needs to be tested and a certificate provided for esbn to connect the upgraded tails. (The earthing needs to be upgraded as part of the mains upgrade also)

in my experience if you only have 10mm mains cables atm then it’s possible that your house may not pass the testing and certification process and you may need a complete rewire to achieve certification

when you receive a certificate then there’s a small charge (€180) for esbn to do their work

thats really bad behaviour on the installers part. They should check the tails and rest of wiring before leaving you in no mans land with a charger and a potentially large bill to get the wiring upgraded. i bought a charger from someone last year from someone in exactly the same situation. House upgrades were to substantial so they ended up removing the charger and selling it and settling for granny charging and public charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There may be a breakdown in communication.

what can happen is:

the sparks may have done all he can. Only ESBN can change the tails as they are sealed.

you get them out to change the tails ( around €160) then the sparks comes back to finish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

Would the ESBN just require a cert for the work the electrician does at his end and not the entire house?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

I got a quote to install a zappi and the electrician is upgrading the tails/putting surge protection/earth rod and bonding in the hot press and providing a cert for the ESBN ..........will that be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A rewire can sound scary for some people, And I dare say often justified in some cases depending on the house!

What do you mean by a rewire?

Can most of it usually be covered by a new consumer unit + new earthing/ bonding? If the cables in the walls are still perfectly ok?

eg, I went though the process of a supply upgrade,

needed to upgrade the cable to a new consumer unit, - Still was on a screw fuse board with no rcd.

10mm2 to 25, new earth rod (old one.. well was on 2.5 by the looks of it!)

don't have any earths to lights, so only plastic or double insulated ones. (early 1980s house)

just for clarity (or my understanding at least) - the 'tails' or bit that needs upgrading is running heavier cables from the location of your esb meter to your fuse board. This has to be done by an electrician. The esb will wire the new heavier tails into their meter - they are the only ones that can do this legally. Usually what happens is the electrician putting in the new tails will wire them into the existing ones so you maintain power. The esb will give you an appointment a week or so out to come and change over.

ive heard of a few cases now where ev charger installers will install the charger and leave the consumer stuck as they don't offer to upgrade the wiring. It can be a messy job as the new wiring is heavy and hard to work with. Distance of cable run, and you also might need a new earth rod fitted and various earthing done in your house like in the hot water press, kitchen taps etc.. this should ideally all be discussed at the outset before any work done. Two electricians walked away from mine as they said it was to much hassle and they had enough work. I ended up paying about 1k extra to get the tails upgraded and new earth rod done. The rest was up to spec.

this is a little murky.. technically the whole house needs to be certified.. if you have an older house you might only have two wires to all lights.. so an electrician told me in that case any lights with metal face plates etc would all need to be replaced with plastic ones.. same for light switches.. should only be plastic if you have only two wires to each ones.. one electrican told me he'd have to spend a day testing all the circuits and certifying the house.. the company i went with in the end, upgraded the tails, fitted the ev charger and certified the works.. they didnt test all the circuits or do much more than verify the earthing was up to scratch. Its a pain in the backside.. but im glad it was done all the same.. we draw a lot of power now over a short window at night as we charge a solar battery storage, run dishwasher, washing machine and charge the ev at the same time so that can be a considerable load on the house wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Contact the installer yourself and ask him what needs to be done and more importantly, what has he done up to this point and how much it will cost. Did your father buy the charge point himself or is this fella supposed to supply and install? As others have said that's shocking behaviour. I saw it all the time with my elderly father it makes my blood boil😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Thanks lads, he's dealing with one of the big boy charger installers (EasyGo) so it's not some fly-by-night crowd.

The installer should have checked if everything at the meter/fusebox was up to scratch before doing any work but doesn't seem to have done so. The guy told my dad that he can't do any extra work (fair enough) but doesn't seem to given much info on what needed doing beyond that to get the job completed.

My old man is fairly clued in but I just want to help give him a bit of a steer if possible.

@micks_address (or anyone else) if they're in the Dublin area, that company recommendation by PM would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't be going to another company I'd be demanding answers from EasyGo, has your father handed over any money for this "installation". How much work has actually been done? Kn did mine on behalf of EI and the very first thing he did was wiring and earthing checks, his words were "if she fails any of these I can't proceed", luckily everything was to his satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Regarding the EO Mini, I have the Pro 2. Not sure if it's the same issue but I couldn't connect to it because the WiFi channel from the charger wasn't seen by my router (channel 11 I think) so I had to change some router settings to make it look for that WiFi channel. My phone could see the EO no problem I just couldn't setup the device to connect to my WiFi.

Yes.if your main cables are upgraded (incl earthing) and the whole house passes the certification and testing process then there’s no need for a rewire as the existing circuits are good. You obviously also had to upgrade your distribution board to pass this test.

in my experience,older installations (especially ones with screw in fuses)are unlikely to pass the certification and testing process and a rewire will be recommended.most installations with undersized main cables will be +30yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I thought the grant was for non smart chargers as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

You have 6 months from the date on this Letter of Offer, which will be emailed to you, to complete your installation and return your Payment Request Form to SEAI with all associated evidence whole and complete – Cert 3, Test Record, photo of installation, invoice from electrician,

Re the above, what exactly is the test record? Also the Cert3?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not in my case, nothing can see the Eo, it isn't transmitting a signal at all, I've tried different phones, iPads etc..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just looking for some advice. I'm looking to get a EV Home Charger installed (new build). Can I get it installed directly from the meter cabinet, or does it have to be wired back to the fuseboard? I'm reading some conflicting information online.

Ideally I'm looking to place the EV Home Charer close to the meter cabinet. The fuse board is on the entirely opposite end of the house, pretty much in the middle of the building. It won't be possible to drill from the fuseboard out onto an external wall as it's a semi-detached.

It should be wired directly to the distribution board. There are some instances where an outside distribution board mounted beside the meter box is permitted.

how awkward it is to get a cable back to the distribution board or the aesthetics shouldn’t be a factor .outside distribution boards look terrible too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It would be fairly awkward getting it back to the distribution board. The cable would have to run inside the house across multiple rooms. It isn't possible to route the cable back via an outside wall. Aesthetics isn't really coming into it for me, it's more so the practicality of getting the cable back to the distribution board.

I was thinking taking the cable up to the attic and then down to the distribution board might be an option, but the foreman on site reckoned it would be difficult to do so.

What are the instances where it is permitted to install an outside distribution board? That's what I'm trying to find out.

If it’s possible to get a cable back to the distribution board then that’s the way it should be done.irrespective of the number of rooms or how awkward,time consuming,costly it is. Unfortunately that’s the regulations. Some charger installation companies won’t go to the trouble of doing this however and take the handiest option of mounting an outside distribution board. It looks terrible outside the front of a house beside the meter cabinet (not my install in photo)

So if it is not possible to bring the cable back to the distribution board then installing directly from the meter cabinet is potentially an option?

Some companies have different opinions on what’s possible and what’s not.Just because it’s difficult or may not look aesthetically pleasing doesn’t mean it’s not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Test record and cert 3 will come from your electrician. Cert 3 will look like Certificate No. 3 - Sample (safeelectric.ie) and test record looks like Test-Record-Sheet-Sample.png (1040×720) (safeelectric.ie)

It's to verify that the installation was done by a REC and is to an appropriate standard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just apply for the EV Charger grant tonight. It’s an auto approval and you’ll have it before the end of the week in most cases.

Get it installed now if you can get an eco system that all works together.

• Advertisement

So I went and did something that I probably should have done initially - checked what others have done in the development. It appears two houses that would have been occupied in recent months have their EV Charger wired to the meter cabinet. There's another older house that has a cable coming down from the roof to the unit, presumably that's wired back to the distribution board with the cabling routed through the attic.

Are there any plans to make it a requirement for developers to pre-wire for EV Home Chargers back to the distribution board? It's a bit of a no brainer.

Advertisement