Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Because people like yourself are willing to tell children that men can become women and women can be men with your conflation of sex and gender. Thats not true.

It's a dishonest slight of hand.

"Sex and gender are different, nobody is saying that a man can actually be a woman. Completely different"

became

"a trans woman is a woman"

became

"Your gender identity is legally binding and you will be recognised as your preferred gender and to refer to you as your biological sex is hate speech"

became

"We hope to make gender identity part of the primary school curriculum and any opposition is due to right wing intolerant bigots"

Not really a slippery slope, but more of a sheer cliff face of dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

But homosexuality is not being "trans". Conflating the two seems to be a recent trend.

Its fair to say, given his statements on these topics, that Boy George is glad he didn't receive "gender affirming" care when he first started questioning gender identity as a child:

Boy George Keeps Saying Stupid Things About Trans People | Them

Boy George says people ‘want to be offended’ by gender pronouns | The Independent | The Independent

Andrew Sullivan get more personal about the effect of trans ideology on some gay kids.

Who Is Looking Out For Gay Kids? - by Andrew Sullivan (substack.com)

Andrew Sullivan: The Nature of Sex (nymag.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's already happening.

Boys playing ebcouaged to play football or rugby is a gender identity being taught.

What you're against is non-trsditional gender identities being taught - probably because you see it as 'woke'.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In absolutely no way is that gender identity.

(Unless you are conflating sex and gender)

• Advertisement

No, boy refers to a sex. A young male. Do you consider a boy to be a gender?

What a bizarre comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not.

people take up sports because they want to, because they may enjoy it. Nobody ever seriously equates sport with the teaching or encouragement of gender identity….Look at the success over a number of years, that the girls teams have enjoyed in this country … Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Athletics , GAA….. those girls achievements had little to do with encouragement of anything , more desire, talent, skill, hard work and aptitude.

when I played tennis, soccer, when I swam competitively, there was zero gender identity being taught… you like it, are good at it…. Go at it….no sports person, amateur, professional or in between gives a flying figroll about gender identity… train hard, work hard and win…

nobody even gives it a second thought. :) a complete non issue.

Well, then you should have put biological sex, not just sex.

in any case, its biologicaly assigned at birth, regardless of what definition you want to put on it and it's an identity that's being pushed.

So why was my nephew pushed to join the team but my neice - two years older - never got rhe same option?

I'm.not saying this happens everywhere - just that it does and is happening

Did they know your nephew or your niece's gender? Or are you, like I said, conflating sex and gender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t know…. do you believe it’s gender based, gender identity based ? I’d have to be there to know…

Nope. Nothing is "assigned at birth". Sex is determined at birth. It can be determined BEFORE birth.

And why would I put biological before sex? Can you have a non biological sex?

Lol

Are you really doing this?

Not content with **** up the meaning of gender, man and woman, but now you want to take sex too?

You're trying to weasel out of this on technical terms.

Fact - nephew was born/assigned/born with a penis/determined/whatevermale at birth.

Fact - he identifies as a boy/likes boy things/whatever.

Fact - my neice was born/assigned/born with a vagina/determined/whatever female at birth.

Fact - she participates in some tradional girl things and some boy things but identifies as female/sees herself as a girl.

Fact - asking him but not her to try out for sport is affirming a gender/birth asdigned/birth determined role.

The fact that you want to put a different definition on all this doesn't change anything unless you can answer the previous question with a logical answer: why him and not her?

Edited to close a loophole

I'm not "weaseling out" of anything.

I'm using normal, regular language.

You accuse me of putting different definitions on things?

Well that's just beyond parody.

You aren't assigned anything at birth. You are male or female. That's not a gender. That's a sex.

This is why gender is so **** stupid. You think it's some insult to declare that a female is a female unless the identify as a female.

It'd be like me being compelled to calling a small person a giant because they claim to be one.

And because you put "fact" in front of something, doesn't make it so.

And I can answer your question, although it does undermine your point somewhat...

The reason your nephew was pushed to join the football team was because typically, male humans have more of an interest in football than females. ****.....it's almost as if they are different generally.

That is not to say women can't enjoy football, but on average, the fan base is mostly male. Note I said male... Not people who identify as male.

It has EVERYTHING to do with sex, and **** all to do with your made up genders

Well you are wrong.

Sex and gender are separate according to the gender idealists.

Gender identity isn't being pushed. Unless you believe that gender is also a binary and are discounting the myriad and uncountable amount of genders there are.

The reason your nephew was pushed to join the football team was because typically, male humans have more of an interest in football than females. ****.....it's almost as if they are different generally.

And that, is the only sentence in that entire post that actually adresses the issue: a gender identity is being pushed.

QED, good night.

Yes. .

Your nephew could identify as astral gender and still be a male human and would be asked to play football.

Your niece could identify as a transman but still wouldn't be asked to play football because she is female.

Gender has nothing to do with it and sex does.

Goodnight.

*Edit...just saw your signature.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Boys playing ebcouaged to play football or rugby is a gender identity being taught.

No it's not. It's a sex-based stereotype being pushed. It's improving, slowly, with more emphasis being put on encouraging girls into sports, but I'd agree that it's bad to teach children that there are "boys' things" and "girls' things" beyond biological function.

Which is part of why I'm against letting people who don't know their 'gender identity' from their sex stereotypes being allowed to run rampant in the curriculum.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Were talking confirming to the gender/biological sex assigned/defined at birth.

The child has a penis and is thetefore pushed into sport. Call it stereotype, call it pushing an identity. Its the same thing. Their basing their opinions what's between the child's legs, and pushing that

And people have no problem with that being pushed - biut that's hypocritical, so they have to change the terms.

Redefining the terms to suit yourself doesn't actually change anything.

Ive just been through this, and I'm not going through this again.

• Advertisement

Do me a favour...

Read what you just said.... Then look at how you have redefined man woman male and female. Look at your signature. How "you" define. Not the definition. How you have defined it. Because you didn't like the actual definition.

We have surrendered the word gender. Make of it what you wish.

But you will not redefine actual biology. Sex is a biological term.

Gender is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Were talking confirming to the gender/biological sex assigned/defined at birth

These are three different concepts, none of which are particularly concrete. Nothing about any personality trait or preference "confirms" the sex of a person.

The child has a penis and is thetefore pushed into sport. Call it stereotype, call it pushing an identity. Its the same thing. Their basing their opinions what's between the child's legs, and pushing that

Right. Sex-based stereotyping. But the idea that if a child with a penis between their legs doesn't have any interest in sports but likes dolls and princess dresses instead, it is no less sex-based stereotyping to assume that maybe he's a girl. If anything, it just embeds it deeper. And to inform him that it is possible for him to become a girl is cruelty in the extreme. Because he will believe it.

And people have no problem with that being pushed

With what being pushed? My entire post was me saying that I don't think teaching kids that there are "boys' interests" and "girls interests" is right.

And please. Spare me the grandstanding when you've devoted your signature to how unwilling you are to discuss definitions.

Post edited by MilkyToast on

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don’t understand your post to be honest. You say I’m wrong to say that the gay community helped pave the way towards wider acceptance of transgenderism but then say this was actually just a subset of the gay community. What?

The gay social scene would not be accepting but 'tolerant' of gay men who dress up in a skirt and high heels, as a sexual kink. That is tolerant of transsexualism not transgenderism. In no way do gay men find men dressing up as women 'fabulous' because the last thing a gay man would want in their homosexual relations is men who mimic women for the obvious reason that gay men are into men not women. So men dressing up as women would be a total turn off and that's why I say tolerant not accepting. I wouldn't be accepting of men dressing as women in obviously my sexual relations, but tolerant of them if I came across them on the gay scene in a purely social way. I'm fairly tolerant of laddish blokes too to a point if they don't overstep so it's not like my tolerance of transsexuals indicates any kind of affinity for transsexualism or general gender bendy fashion no more than my tolerance of laddish blokeish banter indicates any affinity for that demographic either.

Isn’t that the very point I’m making? This subset was able to thrive or at least be public about itself within the gay community, in a way which it wasn’t in wider society. Dressing in drag, transsexualism etc are concepts which were far more readily accepted by the gay community than they were beyond it. Small subset or otherwise, these were inversions of what many in wider society would have viewed as the masculine norm — and the gay community seems to have long been a safer space for acceptance of that.

Yeah but I'm afraid the tolerance is waning. Increasingly gay men are being depicted in the media as gender bendy. Every gay pride event that was reported in the media over the last gay pride season, (oh pride not gay pride) began with a voxpop from a drag queen I noted. What happened to all the masculine muscle crowd with their leather garb as a costume for the pride marches. All that is gone and the whole look of the gay scene now is one of gender non-conformity. This has been brought about intentionally.

Look at this poster for world aids day last year for example, where they used a drag queen, i.e a man dressed as a woman to represent gay men. https://www.hivireland.ie/what-we-do/campaigns/wad2022/ Horrible slutty imagery was well, the last type of person a gay man would be interested in. So yeah, gay male tolerance of this is waning.

And I didn’t suggest that being gay is gender non-conforming — merely that there are synergies between the experience of both the gay and transgender communities and similarities as regards cultural biases against them among heterosexual and / or cisgender people.

You didn't say it explicitly but reading between the lines you could have been taken to infer it. And in fact the trans rights activists don't infer it they say as much which is why there is now a war within the whole LGBT 'community'. Personally I feel absolutely no 'synergy' with transexualism or transgnderism, they have nothing more to do with me speaking as a homosexual male than it has to with my 'cis-gendered hetro-normative' stereotypical rural dwelling farming background parents. In fact I much prefer the social company of 'normal' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Extremely good post. Some have and I have said that the constant activist needs another battle to fight. They were allies of the Gay comunity until the battles were won. Now they climb on the back of the Gay comunity to highlight a niche aspect for further battles. It's why you have seen the T to morph into +QI and all that. Most of us have just realised it's another form of Goth for example people love to be different. Gay is no longer enough for some so they have to use something else to get recognition. Some label me Far right. I used to be BI But found my life partner now. I used to go into town and watch the Rocky horror picture show before they ditched it a great night out had by all. I could not bring myself these days to dive back into the scene as it's nothing I would recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And to inform him that it is possible for him to become a girl is cruelty in the extreme. Because he will believe it.

I have to ask, because this is one that keeps coming up time and time again as though it’s a legitimate concern - do you imagine children are stupid or something? There’s plenty that children are taught in school that they don’t hold onto as adults, and that’s if they ever believed it in the first place. Thing is though that as far as children who are transgender are concerned - they already believe they are the opposite sex.

So it would be attempting to alter that belief by demanding that they behave in accordance with the expectations of their gender as it is perceived by the people who are making demands of them that they conform to the prevailing gender stereotypes in Irish society.

It’s that sort of attitude towards other people is the reason why Enoch finds himself in hot water, at odds with school’s policies regarding anti-bullying policies and so on. It was ten years ago that the DES sent out a circular to combat bullying in primary schools, and part of that included the following -

These procedures require that the prevention of bullying must be an integral part of a school’s anti-bullying policy. The education and prevention strategies that the school will implement must be documented in the anti-bullying policy and must explicitly deal with the issue of cyber-bullying and identity based bullying including in particular, homophobic and transphobic bullying.

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/education/2013/45.pdf

The NCCA also suggests an inclusive approach to education about RSE/SPHE in the classroom, and provides the following guidelines in regards to same which promote understanding, collaboration and respect among children -

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/f016e798-f87b-4c93-93e0-fe58ecb79aca/An-inclusive-approach-to-SPHERSE-–-LGBTI-identities_final.pdf

Of course how well the ideas are developed and how they are expressed and executed will often depend upon the individual schools themselves, or the Board of Management of the school, the Principal or the teacher in the classroom. There’s so many variables there that you’re on a mission to nowhere to think you could possibly police what is or isn’t imparted to students in the classroom in all schools in Ireland.

I know I certainly experienced it when my young lad was in primary school and it was around the time of the referendum on the 8th amendment. He came home telling me they’d been discussing it in class and I was a bit taken aback at first. Then I remembered who his teacher was, and I knew that she would facilitate discussion in accordance with the ethos of the school, as opposed to imagining she had the authority to impose her own opinions upon the children in her classroom in contravention of the school’s ethos, à la Enoch, who imagines he has some God given right to behave whatever way he wants towards other people.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

What is the point in teaching kids about this that still believe a fat old man comes down the chimney with toys every December! Lunacy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

My parents told me that knew about him way before going to school. Harmless tradition. I am no longer Christian happy holidays has taken over now for some unknown reason from the USA. Imagine changing Eid to happy holidays or Diwali seems to go only one way. There all holidays from religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's a total sh*t show that has been happening on the gay scene.

Take a look at this newish gay bar in Dublin https://www.street66.bar/ . I guess the drag queen depicted several times is some kind of host, but this whole look is so totally unappealing to your average gay man. Of course I don't have to go there if I don't like and naturally I wouldn't step foot in it in a million years. I'd rather go to a straight nightclub like Coppers. Actually went once when I lived in Dublin and had a good time, there was quite a few gay men there too to my surprise.

Apparently things are much worse in the US. I'm reading via gay mens Twitter accounts that gay bars are now being called LGBT bars and being infiltrated by all sorts including heterosexuals of one kink or other who identify as 'queer'. I've read that gay men are now opening 'underground' clubs to get their own spaces back. I mean I can't verify this but I can well believe it. Gay bars were much more fun when they were off the main social circuit anyway, when they weren't thought of as 'safe spaces' (which is just absurd) and gay men frequented them for one reason only, and that wasn't to 'feel safe', so maybe that could be good development in a sense.

What really boils my nut about all of this is that it is heterosexual white middle class Lefties that have taken over control of sexual minority issues and do more damage than good imo. It is our own LGBT NGO's (Belong_To) who for example recently platformed a teenager on TV who complained that he was afraid to go out because 'he likes to wear makeup' as seen on RTE One News last month. Really I wouldn't call it homophobia is a guy gets teased at school for wearing make-up and what I would ask is who brainwashed him that he should be wearing makeup in the first place as if that's how to gay. I think they are responsible for brainwashing young gay men to be gender bendy in their fashion as if that's 'how to be gay'. Well he could be a young transsexual to, in which case are we really gonna teach kids to be accepting of transexualism? Oh yes of course we are cuz inclusion and diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

This pushback has already started in the UK. E.g. the LGB Alliance.

Although they’ve been heavily demonised for suggesting that the T activism has been harmful to LGB people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Your Post:

Redefining the terms to suit yourself doesn't actually change anything.

Your Signature:

Do NOT ask me how I define the terms "man", "woman", "male" or "female" when you reply to this post. You know the answer and it's probably irrelevant to the discussion :)

So much delicious ironing.

But the quoted part of your post is exactly whats wrong with the current trans "debate".

You can redefine what it means to be a man or woman all you want, but it doesnt actually change anything.

Post edited by GreeBo on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement