Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Mine have arrived in hamburg according to screenshot shared by PWOD. UPS tracking code provided, but only label created yet, presumably will come together once through customs. Interesting everyone elses seems to be going via poland. Feel like I might get hit with some unexpected duty...

😎

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No, they will arrive as EU domestic post from Germany, I had An Post hand me a bill and I pointed out the Polish/Germany source plastered on the boxes and never heard of it since

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Any thoughts on the build?

https://youtu.be/oxh-OGLh8cc

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've had about 10 rolleyes in the first minute of watching that. Had to switch it off after that. I'd look elsewhere for advice on how to build a battery 😂

Have a look at Andreas from the off grid garage and Will Prowse

10/16 now complete. Lowest is 236.41, highest is 239.37 amp hours. Going well and I’m glad they are all so similar.

It is easy to make a mistake, particularly by taking off the charger too soon, they take a lot of charging. I had to retest number 9 as it initially came back at 191ah and 238.69ah on the retest.

It’s going to take a day each to charge them again. Might do this in parallel as the panic will be off.

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Are the dimensions correct for 280Ah EVE cells? They vary by seller sometimes which doesn't make sense.

When you decode the QR code what are the details and age of the battery?

Post edited by Mr Q on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭championc

I meant to upload this previously. When PWOD sent me the waybill when I was chasing my recent delivery, I thought the shipment was coming directly to Ireland, and I worried that it wasn't coming via Poland, and that I would be hit for customs and vat.

As you can see from the chat, it would appear that the vat is being erroneously deducted at the checkout.

Time to order some more so 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes stop mentioning it lest anyone hears it and changes it!! ... Ali Express it's a great way of getting chinese items delivered to you from Poland within the EU. What the seller does before poland is between them and the EU - none of my/our business.

Test complete this evening on the 16 cells. Averaged at 238ah, highest 241.47ah, lowest 235.36. 85% of what was advertised. If they had sold them as 240ah batteries and not 280ah, I would be delighted. I have opened a dispute and will wait and see. I will update as soon as it concludes.

Thanks again for those here that share their knowledge. Makes it so reassuring to take on a project like this.

My views are my own.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

You're in Lucan right, can I run a cable from my house to yours, I can help you drain all those kws 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

New batteries arrived Friday. Ran a load test over weekend on one and it's come back as 164ah. Maybe my cables a bit small? Ran the load test at 10a. Opinions?

Test from 3.65V all the way down to 2.5V? Temp about 21C? 10A is fine. Advertised capacity is 180-190A so I would have expected a bit more. Those double cables look fine to me, but they are very long, so you will have heatlosses there. 164Ah / 180Ah is over 90%, so I guess with those cables, nothing much to complain about.

Set up looks fine especially at 10amp. In my dispute on AE, I’m not getting on well as the seller are saying my tester is not ‘professional equipment’. They could say this about any tester.

They also mentioned the temperature of 25c. Luckily I carried the tests in a heated enclosure to keep the temp constant.

It is now with AE to decide. I asked for a partial refund to allow for the 15% deficit in ah.

My views are my own.

Fight the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hwshaw

I had something similar. The cells were meant to be delivered in 16th Dec. I chased them and they sent on an empty UPS label reference. That is it is only a holder UPS are expecting the parcel with nothing received. They also were coming in through Hamburg.

I opened a dispute as its now over a month late and they never updated the tracking on AliExpress which makes me a bit suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I will open a dispute too, I’d like a voucher to buy more 😃

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hwshaw

Refund was given....took time. Bit given how late it was Aliexpress found on my side.

My dispute is over on AE with the 15% under capacity of my cells from PWOD. AE only gave the option of return for refund at my expense for shipping.

Obviously I have no intention of doing this. I will happily get on with my battery build. Just waiting to get them all fully charged and balanced. Overall still happy with the value and how the batteries tested so similar. Just wish they would be more transparent on capacity when advertising.

The seller is so convincing with their arguments about my test procedures that I wonder will I get close to 100% when I hook up to the Solis?

My advice is buyer beware! Is there such a thing as an honest seller of these batteries?

My views are my own.

• Advertisement

@johnbk - "Is there such a thing as an honest seller of these batteries?"

Sure. Some sellers on AliBaba have a stellar reputation for only supplying top quality grade A batteries, brand new.

But.....you'd pay about twice what we all paid including shipping and VAT

Personally, I'd much rather the cells I got than pay double for slightly better cells. But that's just me. Best of luck with your build!

Started the fun part today. Inspired by off grid garage. 30x30x3 angle, 18mm Marine ply. 4 shelf’s. 1.7m high, 0.41m deep, 0.8 wide. Three for batteries and the top for other bits and bob.

Will be able to add compression easily, off grid garage didn’t bother. Any views on this?

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭con747

If possible I would fit castors on the base for easy movement if ever needed. Nice job.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Plenty of room for more batteries

Casters are a good idea, thanks.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭jasgrif11

I finally made the leap and purchased 16 cells from PWOD and also a 16S 150A BMS. With a delivery date of April 2nd for the batteries. Thanks @irishchris and @unkel for the advice and support. I can already see myself ordering another 16 once it’s set up and all configured.

I’m now ordering some of the additional bits I need so that I’m fully prepared for the installation. Would you advise I to purchase an active balancer and a capacity Meter?

Also, what would you recommend in terms of power supply for charging the cells initially?

I will have two solar setups. 16 x 380w panels with Solis inverter. This will be installed by the Solar company (grant included).

14 x 405w Longi panels will be a DIY install. What would you advise in terms of a Hybrid Inverter? I have a HA setup in my home where I monitor the EV, my energy tariff and have a bunch of Shelly devices monitoring energy usage. So I’d like to be able to add the inverter to HA.

Thanks All

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭championc

First of all, forget about a capacity meter - no point. The NEEY active balancer will certainly help to eek out every last bit of capacity, so likely more useful with 16 than 32 cells.

I got a 0 - 60v charger on Amazon

Ask your installer if they can get you a SOFAR inverter instead. It's perfect for Home Automation, since is can be fully controlled externally. If you were only planning to get a string inverter from the grant aided installation, then you want an inverter which easily feeds data straight into HA - and then a SOFAR for the Hybrid

Where are you based, good few of us have desktop power supply which is great for initial top balancing

This is it, I have 3 of them. One is on loan to another forum regular, when it comes back anyone in here is free to use it. Mind, these things are cheap and it is likely you'll need one again in future. If that's the case, you might as well buy one yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭jasgrif11

I'll purchase the active balancer and power supply. I can definitely see me using both again anyways.

As for the Hybrid Inverter, I see some of you have swapped out their Solis for the Sunsynk 5.5kW. Have you any pros/cons of the Sunsynk 5.5kW versus the SoFar (which model).

Lastly where is best to source the inverter? Are some of these still like hens teeth

Advertisement