Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2 British civilian volunteers missing since Friday in soldar ,both were evacuating people and casualties,their land Rover was will known in the area ,

Denmark recently retired a number of F16s upward of 50 with modern upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well the Orcs confirmed the number with their counter claim of having killed that number of ukrainians in reprisal.

Post edited by cnocbui on

As I mentioned in a previous post, another attack via Belarus has been anticipated and preperations made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not in any way claiming to know more about what the Ukraine armed forces need than any one else but the figures for destroyed russian aircraft during the recent escalation of hostilities points to a very dangerous environment there for any type of conventional aircraft. 285 airplanes and 275 helicopters lost by the russians in less than a year and I have seen many comments that the russians have started to keep their aircraft very far away from Ukraine due to the risk of being shot down by the improved performance of modern anti aircraft missiles. Just did a quick search on the price of an F16 and this link claims a recent version was selling for 64million dollars. If Ukraine lost 100 of these at that price it would be at a cost of over 6billion dollars and also be accompanied with the loss of valuable pilots when the same amount invested in missile systems and their developing drone industry might yield better results in removing the invaders from their land. I can understand why the Ukrainian forces might be asking for F16 but maybe those countries that have been slow to provide them recognise that the lifespan for such aircraft in an active war zone with russia still likely to have active anti aircraft missile systems might mean the Ukrainians could be better served with other weapons instead. I'm just saying that maybe the military tacticians of the nations supporting Ukraine might know a bit more of what is happening in the war there than we can see in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

2 civilians were wounded as result of shelling in Schebekyne town of Belgorod region

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

For some reason, you keep mentioning "Irish Civilians". Does the nationality of a poster matter that much to you?

By the way, your posts are almost impossible to read. Might I suggest some self-editing before hitting that "post" icon. English isn't our first language, you see.

Kind regards,

An Irish Civilian....

😉

@macraignil Just did a quick search on the price of an F16 and this link claims a recent version was selling for 64million dollars. If Ukraine lost 100 of these at that price it would be at a cost of over 6billion dollars and also be accompanied with the loss of valuable pilots when the same amount invested in missile systems and their developing drone industry might yield better results in removing the invaders from their land.

I think your over thinking it ,

Ukraine is Still flying migs and Su aircraft most days carrying out Harm /wild weasel missions and for a very contested battle space full of Russian manpads and anti aircraft missles,they can't seem to stop Ukrainian jets and helicopters flying,

As I said above the Danes have only recently retired 50 + F16s that wouldn't cost 6 billion every time Russia shoots down 100 , it would be expensive but if they used them along side something like a MQ9 drone,use the drones to select target's for Lazer guided bombs ,nato aircraft could in theory help with electronic warfare and then you bring a flight of F16s to fly fast into an area drop their smart bombs and be back in safe airspace before the Russians can react ,

The biggest losses for Russian aircraft came due to the stupid believe that Ukraines anti aircraft systems didn't exist or didn't work so they sent aircraft into ukraine with air 2 ground munitions Only to face Ukrainian jets with air 2 air missles who chased and engaged the Russians fairly quickly,

Now the Ukrainans have tens of thousands of anti aircraft missles/ manpads all over ukraine,

The Russians don't have the numbers of manpads or concentrations of air defenses , Russian military doctrine has always been the same, thousands of tanks and tens of thousands of men rushing into a country backed up with lots of artillery,

They aren't geared for modem fast moving wars ,

Where the US and Nato trained specifically to counter Russias armour and artillery,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Sure when they do I wonder how many new accounts will suddenly appear to tell us they always knew it was going to happen........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭roosterman71

"SEAD mission"

Had to google that. Disappointed to see it means "Suppression of Enemy Air Defence". I thought it would be more "Seek Enemy And Destroy". Be much scarier then!

On Bahkmut, there's loads of Wagners fighting away there for the baldy Russian lad. Is it all for control of the salt mine? Isn't that baldy Russian lad cleaning up with mines in Syria too. And if there's loads of Wagners there fighting away each and every day, why aren't a few big missiles dropped on gatherings of them. Surely via satellites and what not they can be found and targetted. I don't get it. Intelligence services were able to find parked planes in Russia a few days ago, that ship that was sunk months back, 600 Russians watching telly a few days ago. Why can't they find the Wagners and drop something on them?

@roosterman71 "SEAD mission"

Used to be known as Wild weasel missions,

You aren't claiming any expertise, but you claim experts in the west are more knowledgeable about what's best for Ukraine than the Ukrainian millitary.

How has that often stated paradigm worked out historically?

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby has stated that the Patriot systems would require American soldiers on the ground and that training Ukrainian personnel on the advanced-capability interceptors was not an option.

This was back in May 2022, when this person was advocating that ukrainians should at least be getting training on using the Patriot system: https://warriormaven.com/russia-ukraine/us-patriot-missile-ukraine

So who was right Ukrainian officials asking for Patriots back in May, or John Kirby saying it wasn't an option, given the ukrainians are going to start training on the system any minute now?

Ukrainian troops may arrive in the U.S. to train on the advanced Patriot missile system as soon as the coming week, CNN reported Tuesday, citing officials familiar with the matter.

My view is that if Ukraine is asking for something then they know best as to how much use it would be to them and whether they can make good use of it. The insinuation they are just randomly asking for stuff without having realistically thought it all through is insulting and at odds with everything Ukraine has done and shown the world since the invasion.

Post edited by cnocbui on

How about referencing and quoting one of these illegible posts and I'll see if I can explain it more slowly for you.

Speaking of Soledar, here is a great translated situation report:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

To lighten the mood slightly,drone sugar drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

This fight that's been won by Warner group against Ukraine is Europe's folly and should not have been allowed

Shame on its gutless leaders

Putin has won this one and won't stop will Ukraine have much fight left in them now there country is destroyed and people broken

They will be cannon fodder at the polish border next.

Democracy can't beat autocracy so what's the plan now?

The promise of new weapons is to late now IMHO

On that at least they found a cheap and cheerful solution to the orc kamikaze drones ,camo netting

I caught myself more than once almost posting a orc strike on a Ukrainan position,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Evgeny Prigozhin sends greetings from Soledar with the following message

“The divisions of PMC Wagner took control of the entire territory of Soledar. A cauldron has been formed in the center of the city, in which urban battles are being fought.

The number of prisoners will be announced tomorrow.

Once again, I want to emphasize that no units except for the fighters of the Wagner PMC took part in the assault on Soledar.

That's Prigozhin in the middle of the photo in what appears to be one of the salt mines. There's no way of verifying that photo is what it claims to be.

With that said he hasn't been one to prematurely declare a town taken.

I guess we will find out tomorrow. I don't believe that Ukraine allowed themselves to be encircled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

How significant is this in the grand scheme of things. Some momentum for the Russians or just a back and forth thing on the front lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd say Ukraine wouldn't half mind. Lot of open country between them and the border.

DefMon says the photo is a lie.

But there are other photos of him, and this one does look like it's in the salt mine.

Imagine Russia not telling lies ..

Hey 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s bad for Russia. They have lost too many men and equipment in the assault. We have been here before, a small Russian win followed by a catastrophic defeat.

Political scientist Sergei Markov in his telegram channel in a separate post urged me to restraint and stop "criticism of the supreme commander." Expressing, at the same time, the hope that my "talents will be used not only as a theoretician."

Sergei Alexandrovich is far from the first who (publicly and privately) draws my attention to the fact that Putin V.V. should not, in conditions of war, share responsibility for the events taking place with his (he appointed) subordinates. And, accordingly, they should not be criticized for their countless military and economic failures either.

However, I have valid objections:

- 300 billion dollars of Russian reserves after the start of the NWO were arrested abroad. The head of the Central Bank, Elvira Nabiullina, who was responsible for the placement, remains in her place to this day (in China, for example, she would have already been shot);

- heads and responsible persons of intelligence agencies (political and military) of the Russian Federation, who provided the country's leadership with deliberately false information about the operational situation and the mood of the army / population of the so-called. "Ukraine", on the basis of which the initially failed (due to the falsity of the indicated data) Special Military Operation was planned - everyone is still in their places, they have not suffered the slightest punishment and continue their successful career;

- the leadership of the RF Armed Forces, which carried out a number of military operations extremely unsuccessfully and allowed heavy defeats that had no "fatal" reasons in their basis, continues to lead the operation;

- the leadership of the Russian Defense Ministry, which failed to provide the Armed Forces with a number of types of modern weapons (including those at the disposal of the enemy) and for many years engaged in simulation of combat training of troops instead of real ones - in their places and "does not blow in the mustache";

- the leaders of the military industry, who deceived the president and society with fairy tales about "transition to import substitution", and now are unable to ensure the production of the most necessary types of weapons and equipment - everyone is in their places and flourishing.

- advisers and representatives of the "inner circle", hindering the most necessary and "long overripe" mobilization measures in the rear and industry, capable of straightening out the situation on the fronts in the future and ensuring victory. - have not changed for the last fifteen years.

They are all appointed by the president - all these blatantly incompetent, thieving, hedonistic officials with business interests, relatives and property abroad.

And if - despite the visual catastrophes (which are impossible to hide from the educated part of society) and criticism directed at THEM - their replacement (not to mention punishment!) Is not made "from the word at all" - then who else to make claims on the doorstep defeat in WAR?

Answer this question - indicate in our country - who else is to blame for the implementation (and stubborn maintenance contrary to common sense) of the existing personnel policy, which lies at the root of all strategically failed decisions?

I am categorically against both violent and "peaceful" (for example - according to the scheme of Borka the drunk - "I'm tired, I'm a fly-cat") change of the president and commander-in-chief during the war. Since this will cause new additional problems, and in the first case ("overthrow"), it will immediately lead to a military (and soon civil) catastrophe. But the trouble is that if the president's personnel policy remains unchanged, then a military defeat, alas, awaits us in any case.

And, by the way, if Mr. Markov is not "waited" either in Kyiv or in The Hague (in the event of our defeat, he is unlikely to be of interest even to liberals who have come to power), then they dream of seeing me there. Of course, less than President Vladimir Putin, but certainly.

Igor Girkin is in full on misery mode over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Let hope ur right but this was the best defended area in Ukraine now donbass is wide open.

Weapons coming takes time Russia knows so they will crack on.

The west was tardy and scared with all its resources its held back to much

Ukraine will need boots on the ground

I'd rather a handful of Archers than none, I don't get the negativity about it. Almost let loose an Oddball clip. All this stuff is necessary, and more. I am hoping (always a bad plan) that Ukr is massing ammunition and kit for an offensive when the time is correct. While Soledar is looking dodgy, they have already proven they can conduct orderly withdrawals while inflicting high casualties on the orcs, it's still a large country. I'd disagree with recent comments in the press, time is on Ukr's side as long as Western support holds or increases I still see them liberating their country to 1991 borders. The Western delay is, as ever, as frustrating as it is stupid but I'm sure there are reasons (I won't claim they're good, just the nations have interests, not friends).

• Advertisement

"Unpacking" the tactics of the Wagnerites north of Soledar through the eyes of a very competent Ukrainian officer, one of the participants in the defense.

Details of tactics:

🔺At first, the first group, usually of 8 people, is put forward to the finish line. The whole group is maximally loaded with BC, each has a "Bumblebee" flamethrower. Their task is to get to the point and get a foothold. They are almost suicidal. Their BC in case of failure is intended for the following groups.

🔺The group gets as close as possible to the Ukrainians and digs in as quickly as possible. A white cloth or other sign is left on the tree so that the next group can navigate in the event of the death of their predecessors and find where shelters have already been dug and where there are weapons from BC.

🔺During the fire contact, the "Wagners" detect Ukrainian fire positions and transfer them to their artillery. As a rule, 120-mm and 82-mm mortars work in them. Up to 10 mortars simultaneously begin to suppress the discovered Ukrainian position. Artillery training can last several hours in a row.

🔺During this time, 500 meters from the first group, the second group concentrates. She has lighter equipment. And under the cover of artillery, this group begins an assault on the Ukrainian position. If the second group fails to take a position, it is followed by the third and even the fourth. That is, four waves of eight people for one Ukrainian position.

🔺One of the groups has a UAV operator. He coordinates artillery fire directly from the battlefield.

🔺If they manage to suppress the Ukrainian position, they "clear" it, using a drone, grenades, small arms.

How to fight effectively:

🔷Have light "armor" at a distance of short jumps. As soon as the drone operators notice the movement of the occupiers towards the positions, they inform the "armor". But quickly suppresses the attack of the "Wagnerians" even with machine guns. If there is no "armor", then it is difficult to restrain such assault actions.

🔷Fighters must be prepared for shooting battles at a short distance.

🔷The main reason for the success of the Russians and the defeat of the Ukrainians in such small assault operations may be the lack of counter-battery combat. Artillery begins to shell the attackers instead of suppressing the enemy's artillery. Without the cover of the same mortars, the assaults of the "Wagnerians" simply suffocate.

🔷And for effective counter-battery combat, a larger number of drones and their operators are needed in positions.

I hope these tips will be useful for our fighters.

I repeat, the conclusions are not mine, but those of one of the officers who is now holding the defense in Soledar. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our guys hold an important city.

This is apparently how Wagner have achieved their breakthrough at Soledar.

The casualties they are sustaining must be immense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement