Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭zv2

Even so, Ukr. seem to be using them more frequently as well.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

FT has some interesting thoughts on the China/Russia relationship.

The starting point for Xi’s diplomatic reset is a re-evaluation in Beijing about the benefits of its close relationship with Moscow. China now perceives a likelihood that Russia will fail to prevail against Ukraine and emerge from the conflict a “minor power”, much diminished economically and diplomatically on the world stage, according to Chinese officials. In addition, for all the public professions of bilateral amity, in private some Chinese officials express at least a measure of mistrust towards Putin himself.

Scholz has already been in China making a conciliatory gesture, apparently Macron will follow. Getting China out of the Russia orbit makes sense for both parties in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why is this such a big victory for Russia?

Does it make the rest of the country vulnerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Remember the rest of the country has had its infrastructure pummelled for the last 3 months its probably difficult moving anything armour or soldiers

I going with the west has fecked up here!

The Russians are getting fed weapons from others NK via China quicker and unannounced

I hope I am wrong.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Democracy beat autocracy when Putin's corruption riddled forces were incapable of conquering Ukraine in the first place.

We heard similar things after the fall of Lychansk. Soon to be followed by the massive Northwestern advance by Ukrainian forces.

At the Polish border 🙄 it takes Russians several months and thousands of dead before they can advance 10km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Roads and railways are intact along with air Fields . with some exceptions involving bridges but they have work arounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

No intention on my part to insinuate anything critical of the armed forces of Ukraine or insult them in any way. I also never used the term experts when mentioning those who are deciding on what gets sent to Ukraine. I was just trying to make the point that I think there is information on the decisions of what is being sent to Ukraine that is not freely available particularly to people who are just relying on social media for their information on the topic. To my limited view on what is happening in the war there could be russian weapons that could be quite effective against a fighter aircraft that needs to be based in a specifically equipped airfield. The russians have been preparing for a war against NATO for decades so to think they have not prepared anything to combat the air superiority that NATO forces would try to achieve is a bit naive in my opinion. The footage I have seen of Ukrainian helicopters seems to frequently show them at dramatically low altitudes which I imagine is a deliberate attempt to keep them under the sights of radar that the russians could use to target them for anti aircraft missiles. Maybe you're right that F16s would be the key weapon to help remove the russians from Ukraine but its my guess that something less flashy like highly accurate artilary in conjunction with massive numbers of drones to help with targeting might be a more effective form of assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I really hope that Russian gains in Soledar / Bakhmut are actually "tactical yields" by Ukraine, designed to keep the Russians interested in that area.

Lots of UK & US chat show guests (mostly ex military, high rank) now making a case for heavier tanks - this may be intended to get the voting citizens on board with such a development. In other words, it's already a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Just a bit of perspective. This is currently THE BEST that Russia is capable of. They are literally throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Bahkmut and Soledar (2 small, tactically inconsequential towns) and still haven't taken them yet. And they're paying in 100s of lives a day for it. Even if the Ukrainians decide to retreat this is pretty much the height of Russian ability. They have absolutely no fuckin hope of taking Slovyansk or Kramatorsk.

Sure remember 8 months ago when they had twice the artillery ratio they do now? Slow creeping gains on all fronts and there was still little worry of Russia sweeping across the country. I'd wager good money that before they even reach Slovyansks doorstep that the Bradleys, Leopards/Challenger 2's and GLSDBs(150km rockets) will have come to play. And that's if Ukraine leaves Soledar or Bahkmut.

Every step Russia takes into Ukraine increases the level of gear Ukraine receive. The frog is literally boiling itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Kill wound capture the best russian troops seems the game keep them in a meat grinder letting small gains happen then put the nose on. There will be no mass capture or killing of Ukrainian troops their to smart. Azov for example fought to the lest men and ran out of hardware only reason they were captured. I Can't see wagner doing this for the long run. Once the free killing and general unholy acts are dried up they are done. They are mercenaries/PMC after all.

@Virgil this is just one man on a personal mission to gain notoriety for his mercanaries and expanding his contracts and political clout at home and from Syria, Libya, Africa and now ukraine Yevgeny Prigozhin this is all him bakhmut and soledar it's his force by all accounts doing the fighting backed up by some Russian military..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the key weapon the US should supply Ukraine with is drones like Reaper, Predator and Gray Eagle. If supplied, the latter should be renamed for the utterly delicious prospect of Orc media having to announce it's significant losses as being due to 'Gay' Eagles.

As mentioned, I basically take the position that no one is more expert on Ukraine's needs than Ukrainians, and that they are very serious about their needs when they state them.

Pride flag hellfire's from the supposed decedent week west. They would loss it. Call it operation Caitlyn A strong right leaning Transwoman. I could hear the shrieks on that comedy show about nuking us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

The problem with your synopsis is that it assumes Russia can't keep up throwing bodies at battles when it evidently can. Whether they want to or not, countless Russians will be ferried to the front lines. Given a task and some PCP and away they go. Putin will gladly see 2 million Russians die in Ukraine so long as he gets some sort of result.

It also assumes that the west will actually do what they need to do and give Ukraine some serious modern weaponry. IFVs won't cut it in soledar and bakhmut. 100s of suicide drones would have ended this battle long since but for some reason they're rationed.

I've always been very upbeat about Ukraines prospects in this war but the last 2 weeks has shown some worrying signs of life on the Russian side. It needs to be snuffed out immediately and the US and EU hold the power to do that in their hands.

We are yet to hear about mass losing of orcs due to the cold. Command will have lost contact with a far amount of troops. Ukraine will have to find them where they died to verify losses. I wager there is bad news coming down the line on that end. Even if they have weapons they cant fight the cold too.

Suicide drones vs IFVs who can operate and fight 24/7 vs fairly light weight drone that can only Operate in ideal conditions,

They have hundreds of various attack drones already but they don't seem to be using them in soldar ,for whatever reason technical or other wise,

They need IFVs ,tanks and aircraft along with suicide drones operating together, suicide drones won't stop thousands of Russians being sent to the grinder in soldar and bakhmut,

I reckon they made a miscalculation not pushing the advantage when they forced the Russians to retreat from Kherson,they should have gone straight though them, instead they stopped and consolidated positions and built defenses mean while the Russian brought free reinforcements by the tens of thousand and continue to build up another large force in Belarus.

This could get dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 35,939 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If the Russians have so many troops in Soledar, then it's a great time to take em out, it's a bullseye target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its not so much the location ( but that's important too. Having said that, militarily I'm sure that there's far more valuable targets) But after a long series of heavy defeats, Putin ( or his military) badly needs to show a victory, and that's why they are now and will continue to feed thousands into the meat grinder that is the Ukrainian military in Bakhmut and Soledar, Modern Stalingrads.

This seem to explain it, Warner moved everything to soledar Ukraine took its eye off the ball it was probably done during the so called ceasefire.

Hope they can adjust there forces however stretched they maybe

The west "might give" v I suspect China/NK is giving artillery support to Russia needs to be matched and fast I don't think the west is doing enough arm Ukraine to the teeth.

Post edited by dennis72 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Actually, I believe that this is good. Ukraine have had a pretty good run ar things so far and, with any large scale operation, the eye can leave the ball.

This is a very much needed wakeup-call to both the West and Ukraine. It's just a battle in one huge war in a massive country. But its a symbolic win for Russia.

Now, I figure we shall see some very focused minds from leaders in the West with the associated increase in military aid.

Remember, the gloves haven't remotely come off NATO's hands with respect to aid. It's a delicate balancing act, but NATO needs Russia to lose, and lose badly. Is it to whatever cost? In the short term, I would say yes, the cost being the relative destruction of Ukraines cities and infrastructure within the battle zone. But, what comes after the war, the rebuilding of Ukraine and the development of a standing army similar to Turkey, will be watched by Russia with great fear and all involved will ask themselves, "was it worth it?"

According to the R&D departments in Lockheed, General Dynamics, Boeing, etc...absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A couple of European countries need to wake up.

Ukraine would be gone already if it weren't for the US, Poland, UK and the Baltic's some who are next on the list.

We will see luco die and Belarus annexed sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Putin now knows his ace.

Just lob canon fodder and he will get results.

Very disheartening, Ukraine took huge losses in this battle also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Field east

There was a time when Russia never reported airline crashes in Russia- involving Aeroflot planes especially- because it was seen as negative re Russian engineering , a perception of weakness, etc. weakness in not a word in rather Russian vocabulary. . “ Our airlines are safer than those in the west” !!!!!!!!!! . I expect that it was relatively easy in ‘the good old days’ to keep things quiet before the whole ICT sector took ff - think mobile phone , etc.

It was probably the same with internal wars, internal special missions, internal conflicts, internal uprisings, internal etc,etc, etc, etc.. that probably explains ALL THOSE MEDALS !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Field east

If they were real medals , then he should be much more bent over from the weight. Typical Russian strategy re fakeness again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Think you're getting carried away there - 2 million Russian losses acceptable to domestic Russia. No way. This despite the controlled narrative in their society is 2023 with modern communications. We've already seen local protests at mobilisation and these likely just the tip of the iceberg of muttering and discontent. As this continues, there will be a breaking point for ordinary Russian society when the citizens will have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Bakhmut and Soledar are not tactically inconsequential. This line has been trotted out here a lot with nothing to back it up.

Bakhmut-Soledar-Seversk is a natural line of defence in the Donbass which is very difficult to pass, as it lies along a river and a narrow valley. Seversk is impassable due to it lying on a height and the positions east of it are low lands, meaning any attacking force would be obliterated.

Soledar lies in a little valley of its own, and was heavily fortified

And bakhmut again was heavily fortified. There were and still are very little opportunity to attack other than 3 these main axes, of which Wagner appear to be attacking via 2 of them.

The markers on the map show the course of the Bakhmutka river.

To the north, the seversky donets. As good as impassable.

To the south, the 2014, heavily reinforced, mined, no mans land at Toretsk.

This defensive line is a very important one, and if it falls, the next stop is Slavyansk-Kramatorsk-Kostantinovka

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

Sad to see many here sh1ting their pants while the Ukrainians remain very calm and measured! None of the orc propaganda can be believed. Ukraine will still win this.

I can see them bring up some HIMARS and having an extra crispy orc BBQ. Very easy then to take back the city after the orc hordes are vaporized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

This is clearly staged and fake.

The orcs know what they are doing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement