Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Just finished off Jedi fallen order there this evening. Very enjoyable game. Looking forward to the sequel. I’d say I played about 70% game pass on the deck and the rest on Xbox.

Was trying to get emulation started on the deck earlier. Downloaded emudeck and was trying to get blitz the league ps3 version going through rpcs3. Eventually got it as far as the boot screen but just kept freezing on midway screen booting.

If I get that far can I be fairly certain I’ve gone down the correct path? Very new to this stuff. A bit of research suggests that game isn’t well optimised for emulation.

will give metal gear solid a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Have you been able to get gyro aiming working with windows gamepass on deck?

Only thing stopping me trying out the dual boot to see if it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've not tried the giro aiming but my windows install is on a stand alone SD card so I can swap back and forth very quickly, rather than dual booting.

Does God of War use the same engine Jedi Fallen Order? I'm seeing a lot of similarities in gameplay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nah Fallen Order is Unreal and God of War is proprietary AFAIK. I think generally there just tends to be a lot of shared game mechanics and ‘game feel’ across a lot of the AAA third-person action games these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Sorry just seeing this now - I had to add the lines from here to its properties

It spins the fans up something terrible tbf and probably doesn't really run as smooth as you'd need to play seriously imo (or else I'm just finding it much harder on the smaller screen). I love that game though so great having it there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I've been having a blast with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter over the past week; I bought it a couple of years ago but playing on the Deck is so nice. Despite not being fully verified it plays really well and brings me right back to those halcyon N64 days 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Anyone have any luck getting windows running on the deck via external micro SD using a mac?

from a bit of Googling it seems might not be possible without a windows laptop/desktop?

appreciate any help thanks

I bought that around the same time too, will give it a lash on the Deck soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Couldn't resist any longer lol. Put an order in yesterday for a steam deck, hopefully i will have it by next week.

Seems a great way to get some extra gaming in without been tied to the PC / desk. I enjoy tinkering with gadgets as well.

Spent the day (and probably the next few days) looking at YouTube vids and guides for doing various things.

Now the painful waiting game.....

Started resident evil 2 remake last night. Got on steam sale. Never played it before. Wow what a great looking game on deck. Plays very well. I’d say 60fps is achievable easily but dropped to 40 to avoid tinkering too much when slowdown happens in busy sections. Lighting and rain/water effects are gorgeous on the small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The deck has easily become my most used system, it really is an unbelievable piece of kit. It’s been so nice over Christmas to get comfortable on the couch while playing.

Currently playing Dark Souls 3 which plays wonderfully once you kick the refresh rate down to 50Hz with medium settings, and have tales of arise up next!

The trackpad works surprisingly well with games that require mouse input like Dwarf Fortress. Been playing mostly indie games. Dave the Diver was great. Tried God of War (will go back to it) but got distracted by Crimson Echoes. You get like 4+ hours on the battery on a lot of indie games. Love it. Flying back home with the steam deck is a dream.

Also tried Elden Ring again but my save from PC doesn't work. Getting that dreaded error message. I don't like the Souls series enough to start over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Devilfish698

Roughly how long does the delivery take to Ireland for anyone who has purchased recently? Want to try buy one this week or next week. Just curious to know how long it took to arrive. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Devilfish698

Thanks. That's not too bad

Same here, but I do play the PS5 and Xbox remotely on the deck much more than native PC games as it gives much better battery life.

Are you streaming them? What apps do that? How much battery life do you get?

It took exactly 10 days for me (to Dublin); it was shipped 5 days after ordering and arrived a further 5 days later.

• Advertisement

Chiaki for PS5. It streams your PS5 to the deck. It's a Linux app so works without much fuss. Just pop to desktop mode and get it from the little shopping bag in the bottom left. You do need a ID that is pulled from your log in URL.

Xbox I have XCloud running on Edge browser. I have installed the Xbox console streaming too on my windows SD card.

They work great and I get 4-6 hours. I'd usually get 1.5-2ish playing a pc game on the deck.

I could potentially use steam link to play the game on the PC and stream to the deck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Bought a dock for my steam deck yesterday an it seems to work quite well. Seems more reliable than my windows laptop hooked up to a tv anyways. Its nice that you can have completely different profiles for external controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

Has anyone bought the Steam Deck with Steam wallet credit? I have some vouchers I could use to get Steam credit but don't want to load up and then not be able to use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah I had put a couple of hundred in to lessen the final amount. Works fine

Yup that's how I paid for it. Put 100 a month in for 5 or so months.

Just finished Leon’s story on re2 on deck. Absolutely class game. Runs like a dream in the deck. It says unsupported on 3 in steam but apparently it plays fine. Highly recommend 2 for anyone that hasn’t played it and thinking of playing on deck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

Great stuff cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea I had played it a few times before but it still floored me with how well it ran. I would expect RE4 to perform well on it as well considering it is also coming out on PS4.

And that it’s Re-Engine. I’m really looking forward to that and Jedi survivor in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can confirm that RE3 played fine for me on Deck - replayed both 2 and 3 last year, and had zero issues with either of them without having to change any settings

Advertisement