Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20% cut to fares for all public transport operators from April

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I only still have mine due to the two extensions, ditto my partner. Both being dropped when they expire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Personally I always thought that one of principal aims of the Taxsaver Scheme was to aim at getting higher tax rate payers out of their cars and onto public transport. Let’s be honest they are the ones least likely to move, and halving the cost of the tickets as an incentive was a logical move.

The problem is that subsequent governments and then the NTA decided to erode the levels of discount that the tickets offered at gross level, by taking the tax effect into account in deciding the price that monthly and annual tickets were offered at, and hiked the prices of season tickets up.

This in my view should never have happened, but that is where we are at.

I'm back commuting five days a week, and I am certainly seeing more and more people doing the same, so I think it will continue to benefit people.

At EUR 115 gross for a month's travel on a single mode, or EUR 55 net, that is very good value when you factor in using the bus at weekends, and maybe the odd additional weekday trip. I certainly wouldn't want to lose it.

Some of you seem to forget that people don't just use these tickets to get to/from work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The annual ticket should offer a discount over using public transport for a two way journey five days a week. Saying it's good value if you use it on weekends as well isn't really much of an incentive at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Personally I always thought that one of principal aims of the Taxsaver Scheme was to aim at getting higher tax rate payers out of their cars and onto public transport. Let’s be honest they are the ones least likely to move, and halving the cost of the tickets as an incentive was a logical move."

I'd agree that this is likely where the concept came from, but I believe it is fundamentally flawed now for two reasons.

1) Ireland has become such a relatively wealthy country now, that even folks on the lower tax rate, can still afford a car and many do these days. Ireland has relatively high car ownership pretty much across the board.

2) IT and financial services tends to have the highest earners and hybrid working has pretty much become the norm now for those industries and trust me it isn't going away. The taxsaver scheme is pretty much useless for these workers now.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a reduction, but I do think the entire concept of the scheme needs to be reconsidered and redesigned from the ground up.

To be honest, I'd argue that it would be better to just make public transport cheaper for everyone, all the time.

"The problem is that subsequent governments and then the NTA decided to erode the levels of discount that the tickets offered at gross level, by taking the tax effect into account in deciding the price that monthly and annual tickets were offered at, and hiked the prices of season tickets up."

I agree completely and frankly it shows why it such a poor scheme. I'm not aware of any other country that has a scheme like this. In most countries you simply get a straight 40% or whatever off monthly/yearly tickets and it is available to everyone, not just higher earning workers. It is really quiet unfair and unjust.

"Some of you seem to forget that people don't just use these tickets to get to/from work!!"

But in reality that is what the majority of users of these schemes do, it certainly shouldn't be necessary to make it viable. And it is pretty much useless to hybrid workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well they've missed the boat this year to introduce the same on public services given the volume of taxsaver renewals occurring at this time of year, which is all the excuse they need to delay until January next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes but it also needs to include a feature where the annual ticket can be paid as a subscription.

Incremental lump sum discounts based on week-month-year are very unfair on poorer people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Most people seem to be working at home at least one day a week now. In the future we may have a 4 day week as standard across all office based employment plus a wfh day. The standard rate cut off point is up to 40k this year and a new 30% rate may be introduced next year for 40k to 80k. It's not clear how the tax saver model can adapt to such a fast changing new world we have.

Many people especially in healthcare have been working 3 or 4 day weeks for years.

How exactly does a flexi one work though. Would you be paying for 30 trips as opposed to a time frame or a mix of both ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I feel that the entire tax saver scheme is no longer fit for purpose and should probably be scrapped and replaced.

The combination of the €2 90 minute fare and many people working at least one day a week from home has killed the value of it for most people in the Dublin area.

The whole idea of it is quit unjust, no reduction if you are unemployed, less reduction if on lower wage, biggest reduction for higher earners, is quiet a mad system!

Perhaps replace it be just making public transport more affordable for everyone.

Perhaps something like in the Netherlands where everyone can get up to 40% off monthly and annual tickets (directly, no messing with tax), keep the €2 90 minute fare, perhaps reduce the daily and weekly capping even more (get rid of all the caps except the multimode and make it cheaper).

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect we haven’t seen any changes to the tax saver scheme yet, is perhaps because they are completely rethinking it, at least I hope so.

• Advertisement

Fair capping on the Leap card is useless outside of Dublin.

A Limerick day pass is €3.80 but the card still only caps at €5.60

Oh, Leap is almost useless outside of Dublin. Another item that needs fixing badly.

They still don't have tap and go on the buses in Limerick city so I have to place the card, wait for it to recognize that my old day pass is out of date, then the driver can press his button and off we go. It's almost as slow as cash.

It's better than nothing but not as good as it could be. For instance the train to Ennis is only €5 which is less than the bus (which accepts Leap) but I can't just tap to get the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Similar issue to the cycle to work scheme which could encourage lower paid workers to cycle more and save money going forward. Make over 40k? Here's a €1k bike for 500 quid. Make 25k? Well that same bike is going to cost you 700.

There's surely a fairer way of doing all of these things, that said I guess these people are paying more tax but the benefits of these schemes would still be felt by all if there was a flat tax credit across the board or something

Is that true. I thought the BtW just knocks the VAT off and wouldn't change based on income.

I do have an issue with it that it is lower paid jobs are far far less likely to facilitate BtW.

they should have a system to apply for a full VAT refund through Revenue for those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

There was an announcement in work of an upcoming deadline to apply for taxsaver passes beginning in February. As others have alluded to, living in Dublin and not commuting every day I don't see the value in getting one. I looked up the prices for other areas out of interest, see what family members would have to pay etc...

Kildare to Heuston €2,100 or €2,430 with the luas/bus add on to Connolly.

In contrast public transport seems a lot better value other countries. There are probably places where it is more expensive too. Take Austria as an example. "These include, for example, annual tickets, student tickets and senior citizen tickets. Annual Pass: Costs €365 for all Wiener Linien transport in the state of Vienna. An annual ticket including Lower Austria costs €730 and €1095 for all of Austria."

And this in a "climate emergency". Surely public transport could be made cheaper if we are serious about tackling climate change. While I don't think the €2 fare is terrible value, I commute minimum twice a week so that's €8 a week. Add on trips into town at the weekend a couple of times a month etc. In Vienna unlimited access costs €7 a week.

Maybe the ringfenced carbon tax proceeds could be used to subsidise public transport further. The relative referred to above says the train gets packed in Sallins because everyone drives there to avail of the short hop zone. Public transport policy encouraging car journeys...

Post edited by howiya on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You need to be going a certain number of stops to make them worth your while. They are even less useful now with more people working from home a few days of the week.

I said this before, it cheaper to hire a car than to get four people to the west coast by rail. I had to traveled down to Galway for work during a week day so I hoped on the train and the only people on it seemed to be people with free travel passes or students, anyone commuting were using private services as it was far cheaper, it’s the same for Dundalk. There is a cheaper, faster and more reliable private service available.

I must be imagining the discounted fares available on every Bus Éireann PSO bus service across the country and most Local Link services then?

The capping in provincial cities needs addressing for sure, but LEAP is far from useless outside of Dublin.

I have travelled extensively recently on a variety of rural routes and availed of the discounted LEAP fares that would be far higher otherwise.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Leap is great in and outside of Dublin.

It could definitely be a lot better though, I'll grant you that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the improvements coming over the next 2 years that they've hinted at as they finally seem to have a handle on the many IT issues due to the way the systems have been built out up to now

• Advertisement

Your first line is a bit a of an oversell...

From Irish rail FAQs "The Leap Card can be used for rail travel between stations within the 'Short Hop Zone'."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No, it's a pre tax salary sacrifice so if you're making 45k and bought the 1k bike, you're getting a break of up to 50% or so as that's the amount of tax they would pay in the higher bracket whereas the person earning 30k would pay around 30% or so on the same portion of income so that's the break they would get. Same exact system as the tax saver and nothing to do with the point of sale.

Like I said it could be better but I personally think it's good. You disagree, fair enough

It's clearly not good for travelling by rail outside of Dublin since it can't be used beyond Kilcock, Sallins and wherever it stops in the north county. Furthermore this public transport policy encourages car journeys by people living nearer other train stations to these train stations. "Every tonne of carbon matters" when the Taoiseach is in front of a world audience at COP but not when he is at home and can do something about it.

Fair enough, I haven't used it for trains as I typically just book on the IE website for that so I can't speak to that functionality but would typically use it for buses.

The rollout of Leap and contactless on coaches along with the new more open accessable buses has been brilliant I think. It's just psychological I think but it makes the coach feel more like a hop on hop off public transport service rather than a long haul city to city route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's great in places but the lack of consistency in pricing is really annoying and off-putting. Leap onto BÉ PSO or Local link services and you're flying but if you need to take an Expressway bus, you're suddenly paying more than if you booked online.

It should be a requirement of being part of the Leap system that Leap tickets are always no more expensive than other available equivalent tickets. (The perk of booking online should be a guaranteed seat on your chosen service.)

Booking Expressway online and then having to get your ticket by calling out the ref. number to the driver is stone age sht.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In fairness, the few times I've used them recently, the driver scans a QR code received by email, the same as with the Big Green Bus.

Still, being forced to book online just to get a cheaper ticket, when you know there will be no shortage of seats, is silly.

Might have changed recently in fairness. Its not a service I use often because there is usually a cheaper train option.

“I must be imagining the discounted fares available on every Bus Éireann PSO bus service across the country and most Local Link services then?”

Oh it is obviously useful in getting you a cheaper fare, but I feel outside of Dublin it has failed badly at its primary goal.

Surely the primary goal of leap card should be to speed up the boarding times and thus reduce dwell time.

In Dublin it achieves that, with the right hand validator (and 90 minute fare) and off tram/ train ticketing on Luas and Commuter rail.

In Cork, on the bus, using the leap card is much slower then paying cash! As most people in Cork are now using leap card for the savings, then it has actually caused boarding times and thus dwell times to get slower!

Surely That means leap is failing badly outside of Dublin at the goal. If you just wanted to give people cheaper fares, then they could have not bothered with leap and just made the cash fares cheaper.

The whole implementation of leap on buses outside of Dublin is fundamentally broken IMO.

What I’m trying to say is that I feels like that in Cork they implemented leap, just for the sake of it, rather then thinking about what the goal of it is, which should be reduced journey times.

There are lots of other issue I have with it in Cork, but I’ll create a new thread to discuss those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I was on a Dublin Bus only TaxSaver Leap card which ran out at the end of December. Given that I'm using the bus only three days a week now I'm not sure it presents much extra value when I ran the numbers a while back especially as I'm taking some time off in February/March. So I'm back to using a standard Leap card and topping up as necessary.

Can I just check something about bus usage with a standard Leap card? Do I need to still go to the bus driver with my card and state my destination or can I just tag on at the side terminal as I used to with my TaxSaver card?

It’s also reducing cash handling costs for operators.

Cork city ticketing will likely change to a similar model as Dublin when the new BusConnects network starts rolling out.

Being able to use a single card across the country from locations such as Carraroe and Tullow, Schull and Cavan and so on on PSO bus services (and some commercial operators) is a benefit.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

If you're taking multiple trips within 90 minutes, or your end destination is over 3km away, you can just tap on the right-hand validator.

If you're only going a couple of stops, you can ask the driver for the short fare instead (or state your destination).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

With the recent enough fare structure changes, the only time you should go to the driver's TVM is if you desire the short distance fare, otherwise the validator's your friend, as there are only two single fare levels in the Dublin city network now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Pretty sure taxsavers were extended by 3 months , mine was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Interesting must read more about it and try and understand how more beneficial it is compared to current 10 journey ticket which although convenient has become very expensive in recent years, now being €15 a day return Drogheda/Dublin. Obviously better value on Dundalk /Dublin route. Cheaper to drive for me at present as long as I have parking, which doesn't really make sense. Annoyed me when Govt was announcing reduced fares on public transport Matthews fares increased by 20%.

They aren’t being subsidised, unlike the PSO operators. Commercial operators (including Expressway) have to stand on their own two feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't understand this cheaper to drive saying that people always state when not using PT. You have to pay insurance, tax and factor in wear and tear costs on the car aswell as any depreciation. Using PT and not driving (owning) a car is obviously the most economically prudent way of getting around.

Depends on how good transport is in your area for all your needs. For instance you might have a good link to work, kids school or your shopping but if you don't have all 3 you need the car + expenses for 1 so might as well use it for all 3.

One thing I think is massively underrated if you are lucky enough to have PT to work is the peace of it. 20 mins with a book is far better than 20 mins in the car if both are an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Typical Irish disjointed approach to everything. Gas to see Govt coming out clapping themselves on the back for helping commuters but as always its only a cohort of commuters they are actually helping, the rest can muck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

One also has to factor in the stress when it comes to using public transport. The current ridiculous situation in Dublin of seeing a bus track on the RTPI, only for it to drop off the on-street display with minutes to go is infuriating.

Some NTA fanboys on this forum may tell you that that particular problem has been solved, but I can tell you it has not.

The stress of trying to use a public bus in Dublin, especially with the current staffing issues, is just giving a boost to private car ownership. And with the huge lack of bus infrastructure, it just puts current bus routes even more at the mercy of general traffic.

Its not just Dublin it's the same in Limerick. My bus is every 15mins so I happily use it despite the cancellations. But a few years ago when it was every 30mins those cancellations made it unusable for me.

Yes it was. But I've used up those three months as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway the same. One route I use a lot is every 20 mins. Except is suffering a lot of cancellations.

This day in mid-December was particularly special:

Is that the TFI app ?

In Limerick they don't even say cancelled they just have the exact time with no GPS marker.

Not one person has said here that all of the RTPI systems are fully working correctly.

But, in my own experience, the DB app does seem to be working more or less correctly now, as are the live positions of Dublin City buses on the map on the TFI app. I found the latter by accident some time back and it’s what I use most of the then now.

However the predictive times on the TFI app and the on-street signs are still far too unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sorry I'm lost?!

for anyone whos taxsaver ticket expired 31st December 2022, its been extended to 31st March 2023

Post edited by thomasj on

"It’s also reducing cash handling costs for operators."

Though I'd wonder how that balances out with running all the IT infrastructure for Leap. Of course it is a net benefit for the operators as the NTA take on the cost of running leap. But I wouldn't be certain that it is cheaper.

"Cork city ticketing will likely change to a similar model as Dublin when the new BusConnects network starts rolling out."

I'd hope so (and Limerick and everywher else outside Dublin too), it is a joke at the moment, a real ham fisted implementation. And frankly this should have been sorted years ago when Leap was first rolled out. It isn't rocket science!

"Being able to use a single card across the country from locations such as Carraroe and Tullow, Schull and Cavan and so on on PSO bus services (and some commercial operators) is a benefit."

It is nice, but isn't that big of a deal. If you had tap to pay then most of that advantage would disappear (still need it for student ticket's, etc. obviously).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have leap, but it is very poorly implemented outside of Dublin and in desperate need of modernisation with functionality like tap to pay, etc. And of course new ticket machines that would built this century!

It ran out in September originally. The three month extension brought it to December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

On a separate note one thing I never understood was why Bus Eireann never introduced Autofare on city services in Cork and still to this very day take cash and give change on buses in regional cities. Always thought it was the most logical way of taking cash on city services.

Advertisement