Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

He absolutely didn't say anything like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Please point us to where any peer reviewed article suggests viruses have feelings. Here's a children's virus primer that might help you.

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/cells/viruses/a/are-viruses-dead-or-alive

Back to conspiracies with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Great to see almost non existent mask wearing, even with RTE back banging the COVID drum.

The people have spoken through their actions, in reality we don't want masks unless we are forced to wear one, but if you ask us about wearing a mask in a survey we will say it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Who is that survey targeted to I wonder ?

Lots of people would mark yes to masks, but not be wearing one themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

That was the way it was throughout covid. It’s a strange effect. The vast majority would not wear masks unless mandated, but at the same time the same majority is in favour of mandates. It’s hard to explain but I think people find comfort in having their freedoms restrictions and being told how to behave. There is no doubt a large proportion of the population loved the level 5 lockdowns and miss them. Having to make decisions and being responsible for oneself is scary to many.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Take mask talk to the mask thread

And if you are banned from posting in that thread don't think you can post about them in other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Not avoiding the question, you just rarely seem to understand anything, or get the context, and I still suspect you don't really know how masks work

Why are people not wearing masks?

People are not wearing masks because we're largely over the pandemic and as such mandates have dropped (Some people are of course choosing to wear a mask for a variety of reasons)

People are still advised to wear masks on public transport, and obviously in hospitals.

You said people are supportive of masks.

People are supportive of masks. I don't wear one now, but I understood on principle why we needed mandates for the pandemic. I also understood why they were lifted.

The Taoiseach advised to wear a mask.

The Taoiseach advised people to wear a mask because cases have recently spiked. Up 75% in the last while I believe. If that continues we might reintroduce a mandate. Which is why he is advising people to wear a mask if possible, if enough people do it, the cases could slow down, and we may not need a mandate.

The latest poll I saw showed people support a mask mandate.

Haven't seen this one, but probably yes. People will likely support a mask mandate IF cases climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Not sure if I said this before, but I don't care about covid, I never did.

All those pointless restrictions, including the... Oops, nearly said the bad word 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Masks can be discussed in detail in the dedicated mask thread, it's dragging this thread off topic. Thanks

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058111744/to-mask-or-not-to-two-mask-megathread-cont#latest

Edit on the mask stuff.

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

We are naturally less concerned. That's because in 2020 it was a new disease, unknown, was spreading rapidly, killing people, we didn't know much about it, how it would mutate, we didn't have vaccines, and so on.

It's now 2022, we have vaccines, herd immunity, we're much better at treating severe cases, certain further mutations turned out to be less severe and we know much more about it.

• Advertisement

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They know because they they have performed the covid banishing rituals perfectly. No one who does everything right™️ could ever be infected with an airborne pathogen, that's only for the blasphemous and heretics who don't follow the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No bother. Tell your friend I said good luck in his / her / their future endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Justin Trudeau said earlier that the unvaccinated were misogynists and racists. The vast majority of people who raise the topic of vaccination now say that they will no longer continue with Covid vaccinations.

Should I let them know what the prime minister of Canada thinks of them before they make an unscientific decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Everyone is entitled to do as they please, take precautions , dont take precautions,

If you're not satisfied with premises regulations , don't go there.

I'll take vaccinations as often as I can and take no other precautions part from wearing masks where I'm asked, Doctors,, hospitals, etc

Hospitalisations for covid dropped a bit today as I predicted. Lets hope the trend continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I predict it will rise and drop again at some point between now and summer. At that time we will also have the head of the Nurses, Public Transport and a few other unions (notably no medical ones) calling for a mask mandate to be re-introduced.

Same will happen around October, January '24 etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭bmc58

They've tried it and failed twice now. Hopefully we continue to put them back in their box until they get bored of asking

3 times at my count, first time was around Paddy's Day, again over the summer around July and again around Christmas

Open to correction of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Nobody can say for sure whether they had COVID or not. I only found out I did as I was visiting a very vulnerable relative so took an antigen. If I wasn't visiting that person, I would never have known.

Due to the media's hysterical reporting, lots of people still see COVID as a very deadly disease. The "If ya had COVID you'd know all about it" attitude.

It's hard for people to accept the fact that so many had COVID and didn't even need a sick day or didn't even realize they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

From the early stages it was declared in the media, HSE websites etc it was stated most cases will be mild. From mid March 2020 the HSE message was that 80% of cases would be mild.

This is from Colm Henry in April 2020:

"While 80% of the population will experience a mild form of the disease, our older and more vulnerable people are at a much greater risk due to the behaviour of this disease within this group.”

Both statements can be true - COVID can be deadly, but can also be mild or even asymptomatic. It is one of the reasons it was so infectious. You could walk around and spread it. This is not true of ebola which is more serious if you get it but less infectious. Which disease is 'deadlier' is therefore a semantic rabbit hole.

But apparently you should be able to support your claim with reference to lots of 'hysterical' HSE press releases and Irish media reports to the conrary. So go ahead. Otherwise, you're just making stuff up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some people can say for sure without even testing. A nurse in a ward with a bad cough, a worker in a nursing home back in 2020.

You are both correct on the media point. RTE as a example were saying back in 2020 that the majority of cases were mild illnesses, reporting 0 deaths for months on end but then when the mask mandate was lifted in 2021 there were hours of tv, radio and online reports given over to vulnerable groups opinions on this

Haha, do you really want me to link all the articles? You can use Google yourself.

On many occasions the media rolled out young, healthy people that got COVID bad to remind us that the Illness effects us all. They always managed to find that one outlier to make a headline.

I saw many many articles linking COVID to just about everything you can think of with no data to actually back it up. One of my favourites was linking COVID to Erectile Dysfunction... But also brain damage, heart disease and everything in between.

They've even been at it again lately with talk of new variants and rising COVID numbers.

• Advertisement

The Kraken awaits people. We’re all doomed. It’s “ quite different than Omicron”. It still is Omicron Mr Mills.

Did Mills and RTE not get the updated info? Maybe they forgot to put it in their article?

It’s not the doomsday variant that some are trying to portray. In fact it’s reducing in some areas already. It never was the 40% prevalence that was claimed in NY, it was 18%.

But remember, it’s human behaviour that’s spreading the virus. You better behave yourself people. 😉

You have to love the pet names these variants are getting. The kraken was named by a zero covidian. Fun facts.

Advertisement