Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't sign up to Flogas new fixed rate electricity

Options
  • 10-01-2023 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Flogas are getting quite a bit of publicity for their new fixed rate plan that has slightly reduced rates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/your-money/2023/01/10/first-fixed-price-energy-deal-hits-market-in-sign-of-hope-for-consumers/

Bonkers say they are good value - They are NOT "good value" unless you are simply comparing today's prices and not understanding the commodity market

Business electricity rates which more closely track the changes in the electricity market have dropped substantially recently from a high of almost 60c to 35c-38c and set for further drops in the next few weeks. Consumer pricing moves slower, but I am quite confident that decent price reduction will be announced in the next few weeks and will bring rates under 35c and if gas prices stay at current levels and lower (no reason they won't as almost all Russian supply has been replaced) unit rates in the 25c-30c range will be back by summer.

So in my opinion as someone who tracks commodity prices, this is a bad deal and best avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

It's sounds mental alright, there was no sign of this offer of helping customers 12 months ago . If people sign up to this, they will use it as an excuse not to drop prices because fixed price customers will be stung

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Not disagreeing with the OP, but can you not get out of the contract for €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I fail to see any consumer issue in your post.

Worth checking the T&C's of the contract. Also worth looking at the clause relating to the €150 welcome credit as some providers mention clawing this back in the event that you exit the contract within 12 months. I was with Airtricity briefly and benefited from €250 in cashback, when I left after 6 months I was only charged the €50 early breakage fee. EI do stipulate in their T&C's that the cashback is to be paid back in the event of early termination by the customer. I don't see prices falling until April tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

12 months contracts now back as market has peaked for this winter so lock in the consumer now

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bonkers.ie has no reputation now. Constantly pushing flogas when they're clearly not the right option.

I ran mine through Bonkers and it told me to stick with what I have, Bord Gais

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Thanks all above - I had seen the publicity and assumed the offer wasn't just Flogas being charitable. Good to know that energy prices are likely to fall significantly in the coming months.

To be fair, any contract where you're paying a fixed price for something whose price fluctuates (mortgages, energy) is a case of the service provider pricing the product at a fixed rate that they reckon will make a profit. The consumer, if they take it, is then betting against the service provider's projections.

(that may be over simplifying - some consumers just want certainty and are willing to pay for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

In early December the forward contracts for gas in Sept-Dec 2023 were still at $150-$170, so at the time, that was correct. They have plummeted to $70-$75 and show no sign of rising. This is pre-Ukraine pricing and even allowing for some forward purchasing at the elevated levels, the average price will be well under $100 and that should see unit pricing of circa 30c ex vat.

12 months ago gas prices went crazy and some sellers were losing money hand over fist. About 30 electricity suppliers in the UK went bust, here most suppliers generate, but Panda exited the marker as did iberdola as they were losing a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

What's the story with LPG bulk tank stuff?

Now I like my gas heating/hob etc and have been quite happy with it but boiler is old and don't know what I may do if it gives up, much as I'd like to stick with gas it's hard to know so not sure I want to tie myself to anything.

Anyway I have been offered 12mth fixed at 90c incl tax from provider, will need to top up tank within few months, good or bad deal? Or should I stick with the variable in the hope it comes down by the time I need a fill. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Bulk LPG is always waaaaay more expensive that piped gas and as there are really only 2 providers in the country it smacks of a cartel. But contact Calor about their lpg switching offers. I'm in the middle of switching from flogas myself. Its a bit of a PITA as they have re-certify tank location and swap out one tank for the other but its not as bad as it was years ago as nowadays they use the same company to manage their tanks so its a lift and swap in 1 go.

Calor are giving me 500L free, will match any gas in my flogas tank and price cap freeze for 2 years at 89c. They say is that its an upward freeze only, if prices drop i will get them too.

I signed up in December, so offers may be different now, but still worth an inquiry!

International gas prices have dropped further and now at mid 2021 levels.

As long as this continues and no reason it shouldn't, (china is overflowing with lpg) there will be serious price reductions by autumn in both gas and electricity.

You could/ should see electricity well under 30c/unit by September

@Scruff Already switched away from Calor few years back, can't see myself going back to them, it was painful both before and during switch!

@walterking Very interesting! So clearly not in my interest to fix for 12 months at this point in time, only catch will be I'll need to get gas before too long more, won't have enough to make it to autumn but I can just not fill it as I usually do and buy a smaller amount. Thanks for info!

Did a bit of going back through bills this morning out of curiosity to see what the price has been back along, anyway the fixed offer for 12 months said 90c incl tax which I take to be the vat.

Going back the last time I had a price as low as that was .91c in Dec 2018, April 18 was .83c, from 2018 to 2021 the price was .94c.

Looking at it that way then the .90c offering doesn't seem so bad! I'd have to go back to 2015 to see a price of below .70c, is it likely to get down to that by autumn? (Included vat on all old prices for comparison purposes with offered rate now)

I'll have to double check all those as looking at it the increases since Jan 21 have not been that massive at all! Oct 21 I paid 1.08c and last fill in April 22 was 1.18, will have to check my calculations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PatthePiper

Got a quote from Flogas for a small barbers shop, commercial unit:

"Unit Rate Day   per kWh   0.3599

Standing Charge -    per day   0.9900  

PSO Levy (MIC <30kVa)   per month   -25.99 

Please note, these rates are quoted for 12 or 24 months.  The new 12/24-month contract will be subject to an 'Early Exit Fee' of €1500/2500 should the contract be terminated during this Fixed Term and all other existing terms and conditions of supply remain in place. This discounted offer is subject to a Direct Debit Mandate remaining in place for the duration of the agreement. Should the Direct Debit be withdrawn, the meter will revert to the standard variable rate.  

If you wish to proceed with your electricity to Flogas, all you need to do is...."

The Exit fee is close to the same amount as the shop's yearly electricity usage. I can understand an administration fee when moving account, but this is just extortionate and doesn't bear any resemblance to the cost involved.

That's ok for this moment in time, but gas prices have plummeted as have "next day" electricity prices.

These falls are starting to feed into rates and will continue to feed in. If there is stability in the market you will see electricity rates drop to about 20c-25c a unit.

Fixing at 35c (+vat) would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

When I saw this came out it said to me prices were not going up much anymore. They were trying to strike knowing the fear people had of it going up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

There seems to be a lot of decently informed opinions on this thread.

I'm looking to sign up for a domestic account, is the consensus still that this is a long term bad deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

there's a fixed price of 30c per kwh for electricity only (special rate compared to normal fixed of 38c)

I'm currently paying 48.5c with Energia

standing charge is 275 with Energia but 380 with Flogas (0.75 v 1.04 per day)

going on last bill, Flogas would have been €130 approx cheaper than Engergia (1008 kwh units used)

I think it is worth switching now at the 30c rate - but is there anything i haven't considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Cam to baords looking for opinions on flogas and this hit first... nearly pulled the trigger. Im not seeing any drops since this OP opened the thread though... im on a retention rate now from EI - 5% discount. When are these price drops coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Same here. I was considering moving to Flogas, but I read this now and I am unsure. It is almost summer (if it ever is summer in Ireland) and I don't think that competitors have dropped prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I went to bonkers - and found an EI offer (for existing cusotmer) that matches the "end result" ... 8 euro in the difference. 100 cash back (i like cash). The thing that sold it was a variable rate instead of fixed.

A little research gave me a probable timeline of price drops as announce in May and applying from June and then again 3 months afterwards.

Its guesswork and just from extrapolating the various details.

Gas prices really only dropped at end of Dec and it was Feb before the drop was back to just 2 times the historic cost.

Business wholesale electricity dropped to 33c + pass through charges (about 11c) in January, 26c + 11c in Feb, 21c + 11c in March and likely to be 18c + 11c in April. Before you complain, variable business rates went to 78c + 11c in October, mid 60's in Nov and high 50's in Dec.

Hedging sees gas / electricity bought forward at 3 month, 6 month, 9month, 12 month and further. 3 month hedging is now at the January level, but 6 month is at Oct level.

I haven't a clue how much / what % is hedged at any one time and from what period, but wholesale forward prices started dropping in January and have continued to drop, so they should be feeding into domestic pricing soon and then you should consistent price drops over the year and at a wild guess, domestic unit price will be 25c-30c by late autumn.

But fixing in a falling market is not what I would do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I don't disagree with your analysis but it remains to be seen whether retailers pass on the savings in input costs. Considering today's prices, 25-30c per kwh by Autumn would seem very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no prices falling, you can track commodities till the cows come home, until someone starts cutting prices to gain market share and spark a price war there is nothing for the consumer. The cartel look quite cosy at present so won't be risking any price war.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Think I will switch to these, I'd save more than the 50e break fee in the first bill.

Does anyone know if they have a good smart energy breakdown, so you can see what you are using each day?

• Advertisement

Where are you getting the 30c fixed price from ?

One year fixed rate is 37.99c from Flogas, electricity only, and the standard rate is 62.27c !

https://www.flogas.ie/residential/price-plans/?fuelType=electricity

Advertisement