Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Perhaps Andor was slow paced, but the quality of the acting and the cinematography was top notch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that's underestimating the phenomenal levels of hype, and enlarged expectations around 1999. The subsequent 20 years have coloured events, not least how "Star Wars" is perceived - but at the time? No way, this was the Movie Event prior to word of mouth tanking the reputation. Remember how infamously there was a tonne of merchandise readied for presumed demand?

Of course the actual pop culture phenomenon that year turned out to be some random martial arts movie from a pair of siblings making only their second film - who could have seen that!

I never said the prequels didn't have a story to tell - just that the mythology had built up to a level that any set of prequel films were always up against engorged, enlarged expectations from a fanbase crazy for more movie Star Wars. Lucas might have fared better had he just left the Clone War Saga well alone.

I was around at the time, remember it well. I still don't think anyone was expecting high cinema. Just a good ScFi Romp in the Star Wars universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As was I and there was hype by the bucket. For an era just before the internet the zeitgeist was awash with it. IIRC it also came hot on the heals of the Special Editions of the original trilogy, so the franchise was primed for a new era of Star Wars - and got a trilogy of infamously awful movies. But there was a huge amount of hype.

The Phantom Menace sucked hard, word of mouth killed the buzz, then a month later the aforementioned Matrix movie came out and created its own replacement buzz; not least by being a stronger voice of the future of blockbusters than Lucas' old hat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it's one thing for film & TV fans on the internet to have opinions about Star Wars, but the thing is the series as a whole is burdened with its self-created plethora of iconic ideas, characters, iconography, music etc... For many people Star Wars is the Jedi, the opening crawl, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Princess Leia, Han Solo, that theme music, lightsabers, the Millenium Falcon... the list could go on and on and on. For a series with theoretical vast possibilities of what can be explored, its own success has confined it in the popular consciousness. Of course the main batch of prequels and sequels were always going to stick to the basics and the Skywalkers.

So yeah, I don't think it's a big surprise the films have never strayed far from the original trilogy well. Even Rogue One, the most tonally different of the mainline features, couldn't escape the orbit, both in its general conceit and - IMO to the major detriment of the film - gratuitous extended cameos from familiar faces. The Mandalorian too explicitly draws on familiar iconography - excessively so in its fan-service-heavy second season, I would argue. But that's what so many people want to see. In the end, some of the best Star Wars content has been the things imaginative creators have been able to do within the restrictions.

Andor though is truly the most liberated of any mainline Star Wars creation to date, even if there still is some original trilogy baggage - thankfully handled much more elegantly. Frustratingly but unsurprisingly, it also seems to have had one of the smallest cultural footprints, perhaps second only to a true hard flop in Solo. This show is (rightly) beloved in enthusiast and fan circles, but maybe struggling a bit when it comes to crossover appeal despite rave reviews. I think it is a hard sell to any more casual Star Wars fan or even just a casual viewer (anyone who doesn't like Star Wars in the first place will probably just ignore it outright), even if the rewards here are much deeper and richer than virtually any other piece of Star Wars media. I'm someone who'd love to see more risks taken with Star Wars, but that's a wish that I think somewhat clashes with the role Star Wars has in popular culture and what so many people expect to see from something with a Star Wars logo.

It's easy to blame Disney, and we of course should blame them for the way they've flattened and commodified popular culture into an endless parade of #content (Star Wars included). But the people they've handed Star Wars to are also sort of cursed with the franchise's own iconic legacy. That we've gotten something as great and refreshingly different as Andor out of it is a wee little miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's one thing having tight parameters to work in it's a whole other to make Rey a Palpatine or have C3PO being built by Anakin.

For all the stupid gimmicky scenes Johnson had (fking space bombs) he made Rey "no one" and that little Oliver Twist kid was an opening to do Jedis in the future without it being about the same old families.

The problem is too often they rely on trotting out the old fan favourites and not bothering to write a meaningful story to set them in. They released Solo too soon after the audience had the battering that was Rise of Skywalker and The Last Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The timing of 'Solo' had nothing to do the sequels (BTW 'The Rise of Skywalker' was released after it). It's just a poor movie that should never have seen the light of day in the first place. That, coupled, with the fact that it was about Han Solo meant that it was always going to be rejected in some fashion, because it was Han Solo without Han Solo. In fact, it was rejected the moment it was announced. It's reveal was met with a resounding meh by most people.

'Solo' should never have gotten the green light, and it's indicative of the shambolic nature of Star Wars under Disney's tenure. Anyone who knew what they were doing with regards to the series would have known that it was a bad idea from the get go.

I don't remember much talk down through the years about Solo's backstory. It didn't seem a burning question fans were mad to know the answer to.

Seemed more like an attempt to cash in on the "origin story" craze that the superhero movies were doing.

I suppose whatever generation of cinema we're talking about, never underestimate the lure of "Before they were famous" prequels for some quick cash or engagement.

It is kinda funny that in panicking over the initial comedic tone of Solo, Disney's desperation to reshoot the entire movie basically guaranteed the end-result they feared - a financial bomb. Rumoured to ultimately cost $350 million, that's some blindness to greed to think you'd still make profit vs. whatever version Lord & Miller had produced.

• Advertisement

I think it wasn't a story anyone was looking for. As you say no one wanted a Solo movie without ford. But I don't think its a bad movie in itself. I missed in the cinema and got it on BR. But didn't watch it months after getting it. I do rewatch it. Whereas I've never been able to rewatch 'The Rise of Skywalker'.

Yeah the whole backstory/prequels obsession never rang my bell. A new story in the same universe I'd be happier with.

That's literally all it was, an effort to create a "Marvelised" type of Star Wars franchise, where a million mediocre "origin" movies could be spurted out. But, yeah, absolutely no one was asking for a Han Solo origin movie. It's now destined to be the weird red headed bastard of the Star Wars family. A mild curiosity at best.

It's kinda a shame, though, because if you eliminated Solo, Chewie and Calrissian and all of that baggage, they could have made an interesting heist story set in the Star Wars universe involving Woody and his gang. I'd get rid of that 4 armed monkey thing from Brooklyn as well. Or at least, reduce him to subtitles and an alien language.

Star Wars has a ton of movies in the Harry Windsor category at this stage.

Long before Solo we had the Ewoks movies and the Christmas special. Solo is definitely heading to that "direct to video" bin.

In it's defence it didn't really degrade those characters in the same way the prequels and Skywalker have done. At least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i must be the only one who didnt think Solo was that bad.

I think it was decent. Though I didn't really warm to the guy playing solo, but I thought it worked well enough. The whole life under the empire was interesting especially as ground pounder and of course we've seen even more of this Andor.

Well, I don't know about that. It reduced Han Solo down to a mere collection of his props, silly explanations that nobody wanted and a Kessel Run that looked bloody awful. Maybe not as egregious as the character assassinations that went on in the sequels...but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It was the ONLY Star Wars movie I didn't see in the cinema..... And they released the 2 Ewok movies in the cinema here in the 80s

In fairness the original characters are very one dimensional as designed. We have a good and bad wizard, the stable boy prince hero and a magic sword etc. A literal princess, a thief, etc.

That's what's great about Andor the character development.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the ewok movies. I see them on Disney but have no desire to watch them.

It was neither good nor bad, which is why nobody talks about it I guess. Darth Maul's supposed return will forever be in live-action limbo I guess. While in retrospect it's a work of art compared with something like the Boba Fett show. Also: I've long been curious to see the infamous Lord & Miller Cut.

Well. I found Ron Howard's direction far, far too dark but the argument has been that was the fault with the projection in cinemas - not Howard's choice. But I've been disinclined to watch the thing to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Slow paced, I don't think it was apart from perhaps the first 2 episodes.

It was gripping from episode 3 onwards.

Rogue One was very rushed in comparison but then again ~40% of that was reshot.

Rogue Ones ending was a complete mess, there was too much going on, the rebel ships appearing out of nowhere in orbit around the planet trying to get the shield down.

Just an excuse to have a space battle, there was no real need for it at all.

Jyn and Andor trying to get the plans, the pilot trying to get the transmitter up, the other rebels fighting on the beach, too much going on and not enough investment in the characters.

Cut out the space battle and the rest is fine. I always turn it off as soon as the Death Star kills the 2 lads. That's the real ending and the rest is pointless CGI memberberry fondling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes the space battle was completely unecessary, there was enough going on down on the planet as it was.

The space battle in Rogue One is one of the best things about the movie. 😕

"...No battle plan ... survives contact with the enemy..."

Personally you can never have enough space battles. It's called "Star Wars".

The chaos of them flailing around is the whole point, it wasn't planned they just threw everything at it as it arrived and mostly uncoordinated and unplanned. Personally I love the ending.

Hammerhead Corvette. Makes no sense but brilliant all the same.

Classic old school space battle. Enough to make me want to dig out XWing vs Tie Fighter.

• Advertisement

Slow paced, I don't think it was apart from perhaps the first 2 episodes.

It was gripping from episode 3 onwards.

Agreed. A HUGE amount happened throughout. I think there is a difference between "Low-Key" and "Slow Paced".

Advertisement