Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

think my motherboard has died!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That motherboard doesn't support Ryzen 5-2600.

It needs A320, B350, B450, X470 or X570 chipset.

e.g. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FVVNDFX

Yup just realised all the compatible mobos are practically all gone from sale. Guess it's just old and out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

before going for a new mobo make sure your system is free of dust, particularly the CPU heatsink. reseat your graphics card. Reseat the cpu, repaste and refit the heatsink. borrow a PSU and try it. After that then a new Mobo.

Ooof that sounds like a lot of effort for my lazy ass....:D

By the way is buying a used motherboard on eBay a very bad idea? Was looking at this:

Obviously buying new is the way to go but beggars can't be choosers...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Like Curry Addict above, I'd still caution you to make sure it's the board before parting with your cash to replace something that may not be dud. Any number of dud components could be misbehaving in a way that prevents a proper POST, and that includes something with a borderline physical connection.

would you not try replacing the RAM first since that was what solved the problem initially?

i can’t imagine the board being fecked and pulling a stick helping temporarily it seems more like one DIMM died & the other ones followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Another one I always check are the case and motherboard USB connectors someone really heavy handed can easily damage the connectors leaving a short to ground. The usual result is PC starts for a split second then goes off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

OK guys I hear you, I'll double check the existing components as advised (just have to try and find the time).....thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you have access to parts to swap out to test with? Where are you located (broadly), in case someone nearby can help?

• Advertisement

like the way I’d be going if I were you and the board actually is dead is selling anything that’s working and going with a new gen board and cpu.

Your PSU, case, GPU, SSD etc can all be moved across so it wouldn’t be that expensive. If you luck out and just need a new cpu and board won’t even cost that much.

nothing wrong with buying a used motherboard but the other side is you don’t know for sure how much use it’s had, was it looked after in storage (if applicable) or will you buy it and in another month or two find it’s dead too so you’ve effectively wasted that money.

Obviously this assumes you have the budget for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kinda agree with the above. The Ryzen 2600 is pretty old at this point, though personally if it is the board I would just get a €60 A320M and call it a day.

I wouldn't invest bigger money in a 2nd hand board. At this point you'd get a Ryzen 5600X and A520M for what, €250? And it would absolutely trounce the 2600 performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

lol, Time or Money - which one will you pay with.

I went back to this today (I have other gaming devices I was using in the meantime). Anyway I was surprised to see that there were signs of life! I pressed the power button, the light turned on and the fan inside was working. Think I could hear the hard drive whirring as well. I connected up a HDMI cable but sadly there was no output.

Bizarre that it's at least turning on now when it was completely dead before. Anyway would I be right that this means it's not a faulty PSU or motherboard? Given that the fan was moving and there was a light on inside?

So that leaves the GPU or CPU....I guess I'm going to finally have to do what Curry Addict advised above. I'm more motivated this time than when I first posted back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

A working motherboard will still operate fine with the cmos battery.

I spent the morning sweating in this heat doing everything you said. I turned it on and after five minutes of the monitor showing "standby mode" I eventually got a BIOS screen! And then got into Windows.

Whilst I'm not 100% sure it was the solution thanks for the suggestion! But why do all that? It's not like I was moving the PC around so that stuff could come loose. It was completely in situ.

The reason I'm not sure is before I left it dormant for six months it was showing no signs of life. Yesterday before I cleaned things out it was at least powering up.

It occurred to me when I was using it I had it plugged into a 12 way extension tower....I wonder are PCs too power hungry for such a thing and it wasn't getting enough juice?

I don't suppose there's any diagnostic things I can do now that it's working again to figure out what went wrong?

Anyway thanks again for all the replies and hopefully it'll stay working (even though it's fairly outdated now).

I'd be thinking it might be something to do with capacitors. https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2013/08/11/How-to-check-your-desktop-computer-for-failed-capacitors You might just have one thats iffy.

Sounds very possible. May I ask what would you recommend in that scenario? Buy a new mobo OR get the soldering iron out?

If I could see caps that were obviously bulged then provided you can use a soldering iron its worth a shot. Desoldering is the biggest part of it. An old mobo might be handy for donor parts and to try you skills out on.

Advertisement