Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

we went abroad and got a awful time but we have no trouble doing the same to others?

Not quite true , the vigil was mainly attended by the victims friends, fellow countrymen, and colleagues which were huge in number

At present we are signed up to look after them, so it is the eu’s responsibility and we are in the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Name a nation that we went to that didn't have a need for workers back then? A nation we went to that was already overburdened that couldn't facilitate us, yet we went to it anyway? Name a nation that gave us free money, healthcare, and hotels to stay in? The vast majority of places where the Irish ended up were places that had a great need, as many of them were nations that were being built, instead of nations that were already built. People who use this argument honestly seem to think that we should commit cultural suicide because of what some Irish people did in the past.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

If that's the extent of your understanding of what's happening now and your counter argument I suggest you step away from the keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We are not America, we can take in some people but we can't save the world.

We can't be nursemaid to everyone.

We have limited resources and we can't magic these out of nothing. Like it or lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Finding accommodation for Ukrainians is set to become even more difficult with many hotels likely to start catering to tourists again in the near future. 

The issue is to be brought before the Cabinet today by the Minister for Integration and Children Roderic O'Gorman, who will press colleagues on the need to reduce reliance on private operators and build its own accommodation.

A couple months till tourist season starts. You know what, lads? We should start thinking about where we're going to put these people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure we have loads of space apparently. There's millions of people in China in poverty living under a crazy regime, why aren't we pushing to have 40 million or so of those to fill all the space we have unused? We must save the world as we are so rich and enlightened I think.

And the Irish went to America once to work - so we need to take everybody from everywhere poor and with bad weather in whatever numbers we can to make up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Lots of hotels that are set to go back to tourism this summer will not do so.There is nowhere to house the current crop nevermind the fact that there's more coming everyday.Hotels will be offered more money than current rate to house refugees to compensate them for their summer seasons.

We will have a situation where the government are paying out money to hobble the tourist industry.As I've mentioned a few times I work in the industry and amongst people I talk to this hasn't been officially communicated but there's no other option. Hoteliers won't care as they'll make their money without the hassle of actually running a busy tourist season.They haven't cared all along as this is a windfall for them.

The tourism reliant businesses (including my own) are fooked.I could handle one summer like summer 22 down 70% as happened but obviously thats not sustainable and we'll have to close later this year when our insurance runs out.

By the way,I supported and still do to an extent taking in Ukrainians.

The emergency Ukrainians situation is not the main problem going forward.The ones I talk to want to go home when this is over.Of course some will stay and of course the whole thing has been taken advantage of by a small number of chancers and opportunists but their numbers will be dwarfed by international protection number over the next 5-10 years.

We have a very,very real danger here but we're not allowed talk about it nevermind actually address it.

These are scary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And many Irish people stayed at home, also lived blighted lives but paid their taxes here, worked here and spent their money here and built up the country.

No reason why economic migrants from other states shouldn't be sent back to do just the same for their own countries of birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So he admits we are going to struggle to house Ukrainians.

While at the same time is creating videos in foreign languages inviting everyone to come here and be housed within four months.

I mean is this the intelligence of the people who are running this country.

How exactly is nobody in the media calling him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because the media are all in the same pc bandwagon, these things are rarely discussed or questioned, because you'll turn into a big racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think we all need to write to our local TDs and tell them exactly what we think. There seems to be a great divergence between the direction the government and unelected bodies are taking us and the opinions of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I would say the vast majority of the protesters are not racist. Just pragmatic people who did maths at school. 1000 people into 0 houses doesn't go. Or something like that.

We need pragmatic people who can do sums in both government and the Immigration department.

Too many people making mental decisions in government and Immigration.

I think the vast majority of people protesting are thinking that the Irish and Ukrainian's should be prioritized.

Before you say anything, the Ukrainians are actually fleeing war. This is verifiable. No bull$hit there. We have to help them.

No houses = no immigration. Accommodate the Irish and Ukrainians with whatever is left.

And then say no to everybody else unless they have the finances to build their own house.

I am just glad I am not a small business owner who relies on tourism.

If the government continue to block book hotels then many many small businesses will be closing down.

It must be terrifying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2 clear issues here coming from what's being said in Killarney. Nothing about race/country of origin/age/gender etc.

1. No communication from Government, especially with local representatives who are getting the brunt of this. Hundreds of guests arriving in the town and put in a hotel in a town with already strained services with no communication.
    2. No plan for the future. No plan on where they will go when the hotels revert to their actual function. No plan for school places, for GP spaces, for transport, for giving them space, just being put into hotels indefinitely as if that's a solution.

Roderic O'Gorman refuses to do an interview with Radio Kerry to discuss these issues. He has plenty of time to talk to the Irish Examiner about climate refugees however. The only people getting taken to task at the local councillors who have absolutely no say in the matter and are as clued in to what's going on due to Government malpractice as Jim or Mary walking down the Park Road.

Minister O'Gorman is completely out of his depth on a scale almost impossible to comprehend. He has his own great ideas about immigration but actually no policies to back them up and what's worse is he seems to be ignoring the actual practicalities of what he's trying to do and in doing so consistently making the issue worse. Promising own door accommodation to refugees while the country already has a shortfall of houses, this shortfall which is accelerating year on year due to the State's inability to deliver the required housing policy to meet the needs of the people already in the country, let alone before adding more people the ever growing cohort of those unable to get a house. It smacks of complete incompetence but the fact that he seems to be unchecked in continuing to pursue this policy despite the State's complete inability to deliver on it is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Whatever about foreign tourists, I know myself that an Irish holiday isn't even on my mind anymore. It was costly enough before, but it's descended into pure madness. Many other Irish people will be same minded, so there's no doubt that this is going to have a knock on effect for years to come.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The people making the decisions are not affected by this.

The worse things get the higher the rent they can charge or make by selling properties.

They have private healthcare and send kids to private schools.

They are dumping these people into working class areas and keeping them out of where they live.

The don't care about irish citizens and they don't care about immigrants.

They are making money, personally not affected and get a pat on the head from the EU.

While the plebs are paying for it all and suffering the negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

There are nearly 30 active conflicts going on now around the world, every post here says "I'm not racist oh of course we need to let the Ukrainians in but F**k the rest", why? because Ukrainians are white and the rest are brown and black, but yeah none of you guys are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

This line of thinking is ridiculous.

Larry Murphy was a serial rapist. Would you be ok with loads of serial rapists coming into Ireland?

Just because an Irish person does a bad thing, doesn't mean we should accept people from abroad who do the same thing and add to the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

We can't build social housing but we'll be able to provide accommodation for everyone who wants to come here....

"O’Gorman is expected to recommend that the State needs to reduce its reliance on private providers and develop State-owned accommodation, increase community engagement, and provide improved support for integration."

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

O'Gorman has no electoral mandate to do what's he's doing. He's from a tiny minority party, and he barely scraped a seat at the last election. No way did I or anyone else sign up for the government prioritizing undocumented citizens of the Third world over our own people. This is not what a welfare state is or was meant to be; you simply can't have a functioning welfare state and open borders. And by fomenting ill-will towards all refugees, and not even acknowledging the pressure on our health services etc, O'Gorman is also doing untold damage to the cause of the entire asylum system. Ultimately, he is the one responsible for any so-called "racism."

In the face of increasing protests etc, the fact that he doubled down last week by claiming that "climate change" could justify even more refugees convinced me that this guy has simply "lost it." There is no other way to describe such a tone-deaf statement. But it does reveal one thing: this man is a dangerous idealogue who has nothing but contempt for the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

To the naive but probably well meaning people that are posting here championing the immigrants, I would suggest that unless they are of my age, nearly seventy, & have seen what has happened in the UK due to open door policy on immigration, they just have no idea what is going to happen here.

Nice family areas were turned into no go areas in the space of a couple of decades. My brother-in-law is an armed response officer in London, it's scum bags killing scumbags he told me, but they can't stop & search the one's that are likely to be carrying knives because they scream racism.

White flight isn't due to racism. I know of a family that had to move out because English wasn't the main language in the school & his kids were falling behind.

To the well meaning people I would ask what is the number of immigrants we can take : 100,000, perhaps a million or even ten million. The Times say there are fifty million in Africa alone looking to come to Europe.

There are only a few genuine war zones in the world & Albania & Georgia certainly aren't among them.

O'Gorman will probably go down in history as a man that destroyed Ireland but every single TD is equally culpable : not one has stood up & stated the potential problems with having no plan in place.

I moved here from the UK in 1986 & love Ireland & the Irish people but they are being badly let down by the political class.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

There is an actual war going on in Ukraine. There is no war that I know of going on in Albania, Georgia, Morocco, Calais or Lesbos. Also, If people "dump" their passports and documentation, they should be automatically rejected.

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thousands of people actually 'are' refused entry to the country every year and promptly deported back out again by Immigration - I think I saw a figure of over 6000 people refused leave to enter the country by the Border Management Unit for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I moved here from the UK in 1986

So you're an immigrant yourself?

Pull hard on that ladder. 👍️

Post edited by Boggles on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

UK and Ireland have always had an agreement. Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Doesn't matter. You are missing the point.

There was plenty here back then who didn't want his "ilk" here either, and vice versa over.

Try harder. 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We all grew up with English people and any I knew all fitted in and integrated seamlessly into the community.

Having said though, we absolutely would have a problem if thousands of English people arrived here every year and got free housing, healthcare, weekly allowance, promised own-door accommodation after 4 months, etc., over Irish citizens.

Advertisement