Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Furlong is still injured! I don't know he constantly has calf issues. He's missed so much time . It's got to be a worry as he's desperately needed. He's becoming very injury prone, imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The problem really is that Harry Byrne has a poor game every time he takes the pitch in between injury layoffs.

Has anyone actually seen him play 80 minutes of rugby where he looked impressive?

Must say that he was great at u20. Hasn't kicked on much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You keep repeating this but it isnt really true and for Leinster and Ireland he primarily has to be fit and in form for knock out games/big 6 nations games and has he really missed many of them in recent times?

Is there anything to show he has become "very" injury prone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

November 2020. Strung about 4 starting games together when Johnny and Ross were in camp. Was decent. * Against teams missing internationals.

Was going to start a Champions Cup match away to Northampton and injured his back in the warm up and has struggled to get an injury free run since. Id say.

• Advertisement

Yep, he missed a chunk of last season! Another calf injury. He's only played a handful of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Still doesnt mean he is very injury prone. totally on pace to match what he usually plays in a season which doesnt make him very injury prone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I watched the game without any social media/reading of online opinions so it's interesting to see the takes in some places.

Harry Byrne is incredibly frustrating. He made 3-4 basic errors, the most egregious of which were the kicks on the full. The second one was a real stinker. The two knock ons (that I can recall) were unfortunate. One howler of a pass from Foley and the other was a bouncing ball that Osborne had already failed to gather. In isolation, these moments happen but you can't have multiple moments that hand possession back to the opposition particularly when scores are proving difficult to come by.

On the flip side, you can still see his natural ability. He was taking the ball to the line and committing guys, his passing was largely very good in fairly miserable conditions and he pushed the team deep into their territory before an inevitable error from Leinster handed the ball back. He continues to need game time but unfortunately, games will be few and far between during the 6N. Leinster only have 6 matches left in the league. I'd give him both starts in SA if top spot is sorted as well as at least two of the other four.

Foley was similarly mixed. A few flashes of great open field running but his passing left a lot to be desired. It's not often that I think Nick McCarthy improves things but he clearly did. Himself and RB have tonnes of experience together going back to schools rugby and they had a big impact. McCarthy just cleared it from the ruck clearly without anything special. Blew a certain try though by popping to Milne when there were 2-3 guys out wide with an uncontested walk in facing them.

Ngatai is our best signing in a few years. Picking up some niggles but he seems to have a couple of big moments in every game he plays in that create a score or a momentum swing moment. Osborne had a bit of a mixed game also. One of two errors with the boot but put in a couple of great kicks too. He's a very good decision maker with ball in hand and gets over the gain line more often than not. Uncannily similar to a younger Henshaw in style.

Back three were really good. Shite conditions and they managed them well. Think Keenan knocked one or two on but generally was solid and took his try wonderfully. His identification of space to come back to the near side was great. JOB was the pick of the bunch. Just a very tidy game in terrible conditions.

Flankers were fairly quiet in terms of big moments if industrious. You could see the additional venom and more smartly picked moments from VDF the moment he came on to try and make shite of the Ospreys rucks. Conan obviously the pick of the bunch. He looked far more like his old self and was huge with ball in hand throughout. Even in the first half, he was barreling over the gain line. A couple of penalties but if you're going to win a couple of turnovers and make over 100m with ball in hand, feel free to conceded a penalty or two. MOTM comfortably from a Leinster perspective.

Front row had a rough night as a unit. Ala'alatoa struggled, not for the first time. He's improved significantly in that area but Ospreys are always a gnarled and grim team to face up front. They've always had a strong front five and scrum going back to lads like Duncan/Adam Jones, Paul James, Hibbard etc. Not much has changed. It was a good hit out to prepare for Gloucester who are playing a similar style these days with some of their big hitters back from injury.

Healy was fine. He's still a very solid scrummager and rarely gets done by anyone but part of a back pedalling pack. With a new/lightweight pairing behind them, it was always going to be a risk. Sheehan was generally good but again, a couple of errors. He has to take a big part of the blame for the Ospreys try. Completely switched off. When they made the break from the tap and go, he was the only blindside defender but fell asleep and jogged back around the ruck to the open side leaving a 5-6m blindside wide open to be attacked. Unsurprisingly, went and go the try to make up for it.

Deeny was good around the park. His back row background was in evidence. A lot of little tip on passes and I'd imagine Leinster are keen to develop him as an option because of such ability and his carrying. Molony was very quiet. Big change in urgency and intensity when Ryan came on in terms of linespeed and impact.

All in all a good win. Ospreys have been a lot better of late with three wins on the trot including a win in Montpellier and away to Cardiff who had been, up to that point, comfortably the best region.

With the current form of Leicester and Montpellier having to visit Swansea still, there's a real possibility of the Ospreys making the European knock outs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lancaster has been full of praise for Jamie Osborne.

He has all the physical attributes to succeed, but his decision making sets him apart from a lot of young players. He usually makes the right choice to carry/run/pass.

"He reminds me physically of Robbie Henshaw who can play both 12 and 13. He can carry hard with the traffic into the 12 channel but he’s also got the football ability to play 13, he’s a good distributor. He’s got good pace, he’s obviously a big man, he’s got a massive left boot, hence his ability to play at 15 as well."

“Personally I think he’ll settle into the central positions and be a little like Robbie who has got the ability to play at 12 and 13."[/Quote]

https://www.the42.ie/jamie-osborne-henshaw-5964907-Jan2023/

Good analysis. I've watched it back and left the volume up. Lol

Conditions were poor, tbf and we were off the boil. The back 3 were very good. They performed and looked for work. They all are rucking well. It's noticeable how good Leinsters back 3, especially the wings contest rucks.

For me, Ruddock was poor. He took the ball into contact upright and didn't get over the gainline. He's usually solid doing this. Penny was ok. VDF did improve the back row. Seriously good cameo. Conan was great. Conan has a great burst of speed and power.

The front row were mangled. Enough about that. Deeny will learn from this. I think he played as well as can be expected. He's got potential and doesn't shy away from contact.

HB will probably bench over the next 2 weeks. So, not great in terms of minutes. I'd love to see him get a run.

The Ospreys Fullback has a cannon. Best kicker I've seen in a long time. Huge distance on those kicks. What a weapon.

• Advertisement

Ok. To me its concerning. He probably comes back soon firing on all cylinders.

I hope so. We are better with him. He is out this week, so Ala'Alatoa starts with Vakh on the bench. Maybe he's back for the Racing match.

Malherbe would be a nice pickup if Big Mike is not retained. I think Ala'Alatoa is out of contract.

Beyond Furlong and Mike, we are falling down the perverbial th hole. Clarkson and Vakh are not close to being good enough. But it could change. Given that Clarkson is so young and Vakh has had a mare with injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Furlong is critical to Ireland and Leinster, flying to England for a game against a team Leinster should beat is not a top priority for him, Leinster or Ireland. I doubt Furlong or Sexton will go to an away game for the rest of the season if they can get a run of home games in Europe.

Any away trips in URC will be handled by the squad.

Injury prone or Leinster just saying he is not available so they don't have to give excuses for why he is not flying. Hard to know

Posts of this quality really do make this a great community to be a part of. Terrific analysis.

With Ngati out, how about Ringer at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We would be more likely to see Osbourne at 12. Unless they decide to start JOB at 13, with Larmour and Lowe on the wings. Which I think is less likely.

He's effective there, but you lose the best imo of what he gives you, and you still have to plug someone at thirteen between Jimmy O'Brien, Jamie Osborne or possibly Liam Turner (unlikely at this point).

To me, the least disruption is Osborne at 12, where he's had some good outings this year.

I think Kelleher will get the nod this week. He's rated as a better scrum option than Sheehan.

Will Healy move over to tight head? Or would Vakh be trusted? If Healy is the back up tight head, that puts Milne into the squad as cover for Porter! What a great opportunity for the youngster.

The loss of the 3 tight heads in recent years has fecked us a bit. Losing 3 has put strain on Clarkson to develop quickly and on Vakh, who's come back from back injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

For whatever reason I have a bad feeling about this game. I think Glaws are going to be very, very up for it after embarrassing themselves in the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I doubt it. Since the Leinster game they have scored an average of 12 points in 3 games, 2 at home. Winning only 1 8 6 v London irish.

They are missing rees zammitt and Hastings leaving them light at the back.

While last weeks effort v saracens was spirited enough. Leinster should have too much for them and a much stronger bench

I kind of feel similar, but, there are a lot of caveats on this.

1. I don't think there is any doubt Leinster and the coaches are taking it super seriously - evidenced by Leo & Lancaster going to watch Gloucester v Sarries last Friday night, so I would think we'll be well prepared for what they have to offer.
    2. Gloucester have some big games coming up in the Premiership that they need to prioritise (and that Skivington has indicated they'll prioritise. Will they go fully loaded against us at Kingsholm and then again the following week over in France against Bordeaux?
    3. Gloucester have a lot of injury problems (and some suspensions) putting some strain on their selection.
    4. While they're a good side, and obviously dangerous at home, they're not world beaters either. They've lost as many games domestically (6) as they've won this year, including some sloppy losses to Newcastle (albeit back in Nov) and a hiding by Exeter in December. They limped over the line 8-6 against London Irish on NYE, and while they performed well against Saracens last week, as I discussed in a post further up this thread, I think the scoreline flattered them (given how wasteful Sarries were in attack and Farrell was kicking).

I don't think Leinster have been playing great for the last couple of games, and we're short a lot of our best players for this one, but to me, if we can't go in there and get a win, then we've got some really big problems.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im not sure why they would be embarrassed... they were put out as a severely reduced squad of young and second string players. They got pretty much what they expected.

Bookies have it as -14 to leinster, so they think it will be routine enough.

personally im thinking a 4 pointer for leinster, with leinster just doing enough to keep glaws more than a score away in the second half. leinster by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They were absolutely embarrassed. They lost 57-0 in a competitive game of rugby, it even sparked a debate about the competition as a whole. It was a complete embarrassment to Gloucester as a club and shows they have no faith in their ability to win the competition.

Nope.

Gloucester sending the kids over was the reason for the score line.

If glaws put out a team with 10 changes from the RDS side, those changed players would have no reason for embarrassment as it wasn't them that was beaten out the gate.

Gloucester own the result due to their selection, which was based on that expected result

That's still embarrassing, picking that team in itself was a joke. What's the point in sugarcoating it? If they had any intention on winning the competition they would have picked a proper team.

They had travelling fans who paid money to come over and watch the game, which was ruined for Leinster fans too. Don't defend that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not everything needs to be an extreme. Gloucester had a tough run of games and don’t have the depth to mix and match things the way that we do. They had a plan for how they would rest players based on a rest week that got changed last minute and screwed with their plans.

So they had to pick and choose the games they were going to target. Away to one of the best teams in Europe in a competition that they were never going to win and has no bearing on next season was an obvious game to rest guys in.

They made the right call for themselves and that’s in no way embarrassing. Unless of course not being one of the best sides in Europe with unrivalled depth is embarrassing, but obviously that would be a crazy standard to hold people to.

Defending??

What are you on about?

I'm saying that people shouldn't be sucked into the "Gloucester will be out for revenge sure to the RDS embarrassment" schtick that media come out with

Gloucester have no reason to be embarrassed. They sent a team out to get hosed, which happened. The spread was -35 before a ball was kicked. There was nothing about the RDS game that was not predicted and expected.

Assuming the team they select for this weekend is more of a first team, then the majority of players playing would have no reason to feel "embarrassed" as they didn't take part in the RDS game.

Ill tell you whats embarrassing, getting to within 3 points of a team on one weekend, and then the same team shipping 60 points to nil on the following weekend. That's an embarrassment.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

Oh and I was in the south stand that day, and stayed around after while the Gloucester players came over to their friends and families. There was much more a sense of pride by both player and family for taking part in the game, against that opposition in that setting

• Advertisement

But it was quite literally an extreme, they lost 57-0. We can agree to disagree here, that's an embarrassment to the club for me. Noting that they also have 4 cancelled games this season which can be used as rest weeks.

Advertisement