Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AJB39

It’s still showing ITV dramas before they reach the other Virgin Media channels. It’s also showing new dramas from ITVX.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What dramas have they been first to show in recent months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I will always go back to the complaint made by TV3 when UTV Ireland were due to be added to Saorview, this complaint mainly because UTV Ireland had bought up the rights to ITV programming. The minister signed off on the addition giving it "Public Service" status of some kind, as per the broadcasting act 2009. However the complaint pretended that it was just about the sucking up of ad revenue from local broadcasters.

It is strange that VMTV THREE (which is effectively the new name for UTV Ireland) has no real public service requirement even though its addition to saorview is based on that required, while I don't think the current minister signed off on either VMTV FOUR or SKY NEWS airing on Soarview.

The Dept seem to think that because Sky News isn't a new channel the minister would have no role and it would come under the acts idea that RTÉ should exploit some commercial grounds... but then how does that work for VMTV FOUR?

I see no value to the audience for VMTV channels, they don't compete with RTÉ and because of this we are a stuck with RTÉ2 as it currently stands.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The only services ever designated were UTV Ireland and the late lamented Irish TV, if I am naming it correctly (Mayo Television). By my reading of the legislation not even VMTV One can be carried on an RTE multiplex without being designated (“the television programme service contractor” doesn’t appear where you’d usually expect it). The intention may have been that it should have been carried on the BAI muxes but of course they were never awarded. Where that leaves Sky News, I don’t know.

edit: s130(10) provides for VMTV One carriage under certain circumstances which I assume have been invoked.

still doesn’t explain Sky News.

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement

I can’t go back months but this week Virgin Media More is airing ITV 1 and ITV X dramas “The Walk In”, “Litvinenko”, “The Suspect” and “Tell me Everything” before they have aired on any other Virgin Media channel. “The Walk In” and “The Suspect” did air on ITV 1 some time ago but Virgin Media cable viewers don’t have access to ITV 1.

Post edited by AJB39 on

I mostly watch ITV dramas, quizzes and entertainment programmes on Virgin Media. The only VM produced programme I watch is the news. I used to watch “The Tonight Show” but I’ve grown to dislike the format since Ivan Yates and Matt Cooper left. The also have the same repetitive guests on time and time again including one journalist on Climate who must be on about 25 times a year when there are many other voices on that topic who could be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yeah, I think it was mainly launched to handle those ITV X programming. There was probably an agreement set that they can't show those programmes on their FTA channels, but can put it behind their own platform VM More, until such a time that ITV1 and ITV2 show them.

New shows this week include last series of Wentworth, A Year On Planet Earth, Litvinenko, Spectacular Spain with Alex Polizzi, Americas Got Talent Xtreme, the Voice USA, Seachange, Tell Me Everything, Bad Chefs, Impossible Engineering, Showtrial and The Girl Before.

Note that there are no adverts on VM More either. Just mainly VM promos during tiny breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Documentary about TV3 coming up on VM4 in a few minutes. It's probably a repeat but I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

According to Medialive, 157,000 for Harry and Meghan on VM1 last night, which was behind Dancing With The Stars, Room To Improve, and Fair City - IIRC, didn't the Oprah interview get around four times that on RTE Two?

• Advertisement

It was Harry just in the interview, and was quite long - 95 minutes. Not sure there was much new details in the interview, as a lot has been leaked in the media the last few days too.

ITV I'd say were disappointed by the rating too:

• Prince Harry's interview with Tom Bradby on ITV1 last night was beaten in the TV ratings by BBC One's Happy Valley, according to BARB overnight figures
    • Prince Harry (2100 - 2235) was watched by 4.10m TV viewers. Happy Valley (21.00 - 22.00) by 5.25m

I think the Oprah interview got around 11 million on ITV 2 years ago. Maybe interest is fading in all thing Royal.

I will post up RTÉ press release on those viewing figures, I question medialive more and more.

Very badly highlighted by VM for that interview IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Good points. I have questioned medialive for a while but also strangely it was very badly highlighted by VM as well

I'd assume that VMTV ONE/TV3 comes under the section that applies to the national commercial broadcaster (Section 70) AFAIR C6/3E/VMTV TWO was brought under this license.

Is sky news even licensed here? I assume VMTV THREE remains a section 71 license, and that VMTV MORE and FOUR come under this, I suspect MORE and FOUR replaced VMTV's sports channels rather then having new licenses with the BAI.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky News is not licensed here; its U.K. licence was sufficient pre-Brexit, it has additionally had a Luxembourg license since.

I would still think it would need a public service designation as per the act, as would VMTV FOUR. Though I don't think it means much considering what VMTV have done to UTV IRELAND/3BE

______

Yesterday

I remember a big deal been made at the time , that the communications minister of the day had to sign a declaration that utv Ireland and Irish TV were of public service importance, to enable them to have permission to broadcast on Saorview. With sky news and VM4 they basically just appeared on the platform one day without any built-up or fanfair.

Virgin Media TV back to the start of the Jeremy Clarksons era of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire from 2018 this weekend during prime time.

I wonder if they will continue to get away with Clarkson repeats!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I’m not surprised that Jeremy Clarkson will be removed from the who wants to be a millionaire show. He can be very cutting. Can’t find the masked singer new thread on here.

I enjoy it when nothing much else on there is only so much other things to watch on a sat night! I think James authur is defo rhino in the current new series. It’s easier guess the singer but the dancer one is a lot harder to guess. The masks can be class but wacky too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I assumed that one of the reasons for statutory regulation of radio and TV services was the likelihood of an unlicenced station interfering with emergency services' two-way radio systems.

Another reason is to deter the broadcasting of material unsuitable for children before 9 PM.

In November 2002, the company formerly known as TV3 was left red-faced when it started showing the sexually-explicit film 'End of Summer' - starring Jacqueline Bisset, Peter Weller and Julian Sands, who has disappeared during a hiking trip in real life - at 10:50 AM and had to terminate the broadcast at midday after irate parents made phone calls and then fill-in the gap with an episode of Seinfeld.

I wonder if the regulator would have said anything TBH. In fairness to TV3/VMTV they changed the schedule quickly, I think they would have got those complaint in anycase, regulated or not, the BAI have largely said that broadcasting should be 50:50 Regulated and Self-regulated, the complaints process insures that it is even more likely to be self-regulated.

The BAI as a regulator of content should look at finances and the power of the service do determine the amount of local content required on a TV service. I don't think you need red-tape stopping people setting up a TV service. Do we honestly think that VMTV TWO, THREE, FOUR and MORE are managed by more than 10 - 20 staff members. (I am being generous).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I'm sure the regulatory framework concentrated their minds. Hence the swift action they took to remedy the mistake.

Only after people complained. I'd wonder if VMTV/TV3 knew what they were showing, or where even watching.

______

Yesterday

TV3 showed Carry On Emmannuelle on a Saturday afternoon around Valentines in 1999. Not quite sure if it got the same amount of irate callers, or if anyone had TV3 tuned it in those days anyway.

They also once showed an episode of South Park at 8.30pm, not sure if that got attention.

Shows like Ren & Stimpy probably wouldn't be shown at 4pm as part of a kids animation block these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

What would be in a Carry on film from '78, a flash of bottom/boobs maybe, usually idiotic rather then erotic. No one would have blinked an eye, even in Ireland of 1999. If it was run in '78 Ireland, it would have been eviscerated anyway, but would still have had the Bishops screaming. Actually a good table quiz question. When was the first 'curse' on Irish telly, in order of offence, i.e, Jesus, Jaysus, sh*t, sh*te, or f**k, either variant, and of course, the unspeakable c word. Follow that with the first nudey, in order of gravity.

Question 1, I'm guessing... maybe the Dubliners, Brendan Behan, Lee Dunne, all the way to Fr. Ted, Gob Beldoff, and the Sopranos. Question 2? There must have been at least an Arse shown before 'The Spike' in '78 practically caused an emergency. And Gay, of course, the dirty scut.

pre-watershed?

post-watershed bad language on an Irish TV (though produced by the BBC) was probably The Family.

As for the Carry On films I think RTÉ aired them all with no cuts to them in the 90s and prob did so in the 80s.

Die Hard at 7:30 on a Wednesday night caused a full show for Liveline.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

RTE2 used to show arthouse films in the late 70's/early 80's. I remember a young bollock naked Eastern European lad shagging a pillow one Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

Of course, Rte2 TV wasn't a 'real' station like 1, only on after 8.00, so probably safe enough to sneak the odd bit of risky broadcast in, (i.e, filth). It only commenced in November '78, I was part of a tranche of new recruits in '78 to service it and the new 2FM radio station. Hard to believe, there was only one legal radio channel in Ireland in 78, with no daytime popular music broadcast at all except for Larry Gogan's 15 minute commercial insert, with only the first verse of any song played. Pretty much the entire campus was physically wired with multiple audio cable tie lines, two were plugged to a source, Radio one, and BBC Radio 2. The latter was the preferred background feed in any area I ever visited, (well, among young heathens anyway). When RTE 2 television was launched, BBC 2 audio went out live instead of the countdown for a while, until someone hastily removed the overplug. Sigh. Memories. '78 sounds about right for the first nudie. The first swear/profanity is still up for debate. Could it have been school around the corner? The horse that fell into a trench story?

Paddy Crosbie; ".. the poor horse, they shot him in the head?"

Gurrier; " No sir, they shot him in the hole"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

If that happened nowadays, the phone calls would go unanswered

Advertisement