Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still think the Darth Vader stuff is the worst part of Rogue One, simply because I've rarely seen anything that so loudly shouted 'this was done in reshoots' quite like those scenes. It's entirely disconnected from the rest of the film to the point where I think it just sort of undermines the rest of the story the film's trying to tell. I know a lot of people liked seeing Darth Vader mowing down rebels, which is fair enough, but it was just such a jarring scene for me because it was so clearly haphazardly slotted in late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The pre star wars prequel hype was unreal, nothing today compares to it.

People bought tickets to see movies at the time just to see the star wars trailer and didnt even bother watching the movie that was on afterwards!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh shoot yeah, I remember that all right; people just upping and walking out once the trailers ended. It's madness to think how different the media landscape is now. That the only place you'd see previews of coming films was in the cinema itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

100% I like taking time. Something to get your teeth into

• Advertisement

The more time goes by the higher up Rogue one goes in my rating to the point where its possibly my favorite star wars movie now.

Andor has only added to that and if they get season 2 right (where it goes right up to Rogue one and stops) this could be the best combined non cartoon star wars material yet.

At the core is the grey areas of goodies and baddies that was always missing from the main Star Wars lore along with characters with fleshed out motives and actions. Not just "kill rebels/jedi cause empire" , "Kill storm troopers or sith cause bad".

Luthen Reel is an absolutely superb character, as a "villainous goody" as one can have, with clear motives and a tragically clear understanding of what hes sacrifice for the cause. Also has one of the best monologues in the entire star wars universe explaining what he is sacrificing in his goals.

Dedra Meero and syril Karn are fantastic driven civil servant type empire employees. Again, in some ways showing how many bought into the empire concept of order and just focusing on defeating the foe. No real independent thinking or self reflection outside of their goals.

Ando is actually as adult a star wars story that I think has been made and it didnt need to be R rated. Just a really well made series , with fleshed out characters, no over reliance on special effects and some of the finest material in the star wars universe in my view.

I have enjoyed alot of the star wars stuff for what it is, but Ando stands out as something quite different. Its nearly a completely different kind of programme that nearly doesn't feel at home in the star wars universe for good reasons.

Star wars = popcorn in every sense of the word . Andor = top quality drama/action/adventure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The all-consuming cultural impact of The Phantom Menace launch is definitely still out on its own, but easy to forget that The Force Awakens was massive. It was nearly Titanic or Avatar big. Regardless of your thoughts on the film itself - and we know there are many opinions out there :P - it was in hindsight just as big as TPM in viewership terms, if not maybe as culturally seismic. Still, I think a mix of the prequels underwhelming and a very smart launch campaign (that initial Force Awakens teaser is still a masterpiece of marketing) meant there was a massive appetite for that film even if it wasn't quite as visible as Episode 1.

I think the big difference is that when the PM was released there was absolutely nothing remotely comparable at the time. SW was everything with regards to this sort of material. Also, Marvel has carved out the perfect ingredients to groom the right audience to watch whatever sh*t they put together, so SW really isn't as mainstream as it might of been in the 90s. It also probably has a more loyal support, which can work both ways, particuarly when what fans want "not my luke" is not what they get.

Marvel and even DC (to a much lessor degree so far) have somewhat changed the landscape of these sort of events. I was at a midnight viewing of TFA, but I was at the midnight viewing of Marvel movies aswell. I remember the excitement for TFA but wouldn't class it as significant as the 90s.

I was in USA just after the TPM was released in 1999 and it was insane at the time. There was no marvel or Dc or comparable movie within years before or after that even came close to the hype. The reason the box office maybe not as impressive as it could of been is because there was a lot of disappointment and poorer word of mouth. Jar Jar Binks probably cost then an extra 300 million alone !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While it does have that "let's stick Darth Vader in here" feel, I didn't find Vader's scenes out of place and in fact, I really like the ending. It shows why people feared Vader and why he was a force to be reckoned with.

Austin Powers had a Star Wars like trailer around the time. Lucas was fine with it, but apparantly it was seen as marketing genius (attaching anything to TPM) . Imagine that , a movie trailer recomending you goto see an entirely different, popular movie and then see their movie aswell maybe!

• Advertisement

It's been second only to Empire since I first saw it. I was so, so, surprised at how great the film was when I saw in the cinema and each time I sit down to it since, that greatness hasn't faded.

it certainly has its issues, of course. The overplaying of CGI Tarken and that bizarre and completely unnecessary cameo from CGI Leia being the most uncomfortable. But, over all, it's an excellent Star Wars movies that's leagues ahead of either the prequels or the sequels, which I don't think I'll ever put myself through again, I consider them that bad. But 'Rogue One' was easily the most "Star Warsy" of Disney's Star Wars movies, the rest being wannabe also rans in that regard.

And I agree completely, 'Andor' has expanded the universe in more ways than the entire six movies of the prequels and sequels combined. It, along with 'Rogue One', should be considered the bench marks that all other future Disney Star Wars productions should try to attain.

As to Scarsgard's character, he's a refreshing extension of what Cassian Andor brought to Star Wars, in that he's on the "good" side, but not above doing the bad thing. In fact, all the Rebel characters in 'Andor' have grown up from the silly, twee, representations that we've grown accustomed to and I'd say not before time too.

Star Wars needed to grow up to continue, AFAIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One of the best scenes in any Star Wars and one of my favourite TV moments of the last few years.

APPARENTLY She was gonna say "Fight the Empire. Fight the Empire. F*CK the Empire"

Darth Vader is integral to the search for Death Star plans and the Death Star itself.

Nah I enjoyed it. I never really liked the core Star Wars.

Really enjoyed Rogue One, Mando and love Andor.

Enjoyed Solo far more than I expected to

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The highlight was the guy nonchalantly booting the Stormtrooper off the tower, some kick he had on him.

I rewatched the final episode last night, it was outstanding.

Or some stormtrooper getting that funeral brick across the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

that was great. the whole sequence with the marching band and the music to the brilliant speech leading to the riot was great tv.

All those scenes brought Northern Ireland to mind and the stiffling expereince of trying to live under an occupying force. (saying that as someone with no experience of that but it came to mind)

Andor was top notch tv. Actors sets dialogue everything, it was all done so well. That jail while being the brightest cleanest prison I've ever seen on Tv was also the most depressing.

Loved it all

In fairness the trailer for the 'Phantom Menace' was probably the best thing about that movie. 😄

• Advertisement

For sure.

I don't hate the prequels even if I think the script is barking

The scene itself is very good but the tune might be the best Williams done for Star Wars.

His scores are about one consistent thing in the main movies.

It's literally literally (as we have to say now) been decades since I rewatched TPM. But I agree 100%. William's music is one constant. Say what you want about TPM, it's simply not good. But the music.... Dual of The Fates? Fantastic. Williams sci-fi stuff can sound similar but that was epic

Its the only part of the movie I really remember without having to think quite hard about it.

Well that and the fact there is a PCR test for Jediness.

And the "Me so solly" aliens at the start. God, that Jedi count

I know later they came out with BS like:"It wasn't that these mitochondria CREATED Jedi, but that they were attracted to The Force". Whatever, it's a Jedi count

Mitochondria. Lets take something ethereal that we made up. Then destroy it trying to pretend we had a master plan. Thanks.

Andor would do well to stay away from Skywalkers and the Force.

Totally.

They could have more Gerrera and obviously K-250, bail oregana, general graven and maybe even Krennick and Galen Erso.

I would say there’s less reason to have Krennick then Erso, as erso was their target to assassinate, Krennick was less important to the plot(I just like the actors playing both roles). That said, the final piece of series one was the building of the Death Star!

Don’t need any jedis or siths. And even though I absolutely adore Palpatine (wasted completely in TROS) he too is not needed, unless they use him in a brief moment in the senate as an aside.

But Andor would prob work better keeping the “cameos” to minimum or nil unless it’s really going to tie in with rogue one or subtle and insignificant.

It worked because it was fresh and didn’t need anything from the originals. It was kind of an original SW series so to be fair maybe it’s best they don’t introduce any recognisable characters outside of what we have or new ones.

Isn’t the first time we see Andor in RO when he’s getting info from some guy he ends uo shooting as storm troopers are about to catch them? Be cool to go right up to that.

• Advertisement

Oh God no. Please no Palpatine in future episodes. I know it would make sense for him to be there but think how his sneering, snarling, hooded persona would jar against the relative "realism" of Andor (And again, you know what I mean by "realism" in such a universe). It would be night and day. You COULD play him down and have him more grounded but then this would jar against the histrionics of his portrayal in the movies.

You could have Jimmy Smitts as Bail Organa. That would make sense and he is a fine actor who could fit in. But PLEASE do not have him walk in with a (younger again) Leia in-tow ("I'm showing my daughter the ropes"). Even though that may also make sense, please don't do it.

Advertisement