Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 10-01-2023 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I have broadband downstairs in my house. I bought a new router so i can have internet upstairs as well. I know the internet can do for both up and downstairs but I bought this modem for something else. The only think is I cant get it working. it's a tp link modem. it's this one TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N Router | Ireland (harveynorman.ie) I have it plugged in but the orange light is flashing. The wifi is on all right but the orange light is blinking. Do I have to configur it or something? I read the manual and it doesn't say what to do to stop the light from blinking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bhail

Two simple things to try

Do you have the Ethernet cable plugged into the right slot on your new modem?

Reset the router. Need a pen into the small hole/button on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Allegedly, since version v12 this device should have AP (Access point ) mode option in the interface

, but even if it doesn't, you can configure it to extend your network(if this is the goal):

1.Disconnect your computer from your existing network (WiFi and/or Ethernet).

2.Connect computer directly to this device over Ethernet to LAN port or WiFi.

3.Go to browser and type in 192.168.0.1, hit Enter, sign in to device interface(IP and admin credentials should be on the label).

4.Navigate to Network>LAN , change IP to IP range your router downstairs serve (lets say your main router is 192.168.1.254, then choose 192.168.1.253 for this device), Save settings. Device will restart.

5.Sign in to device interface, this time using 192.168.1.253

6.Navigate to DHCP>DHCP Settings, then select Disable , Save settings.

7.Now connect new device LAN port(do not use WAN) to LAN port on the router downstairs.

8.Sign in to device interface using 192.168.1.253, configure WiFi and/or other settings.

9.Backup configuration so you have option to quick restore should you need to reset this device (System Tools>Backup and Restore).

Isn't it 100Mbps only on LAN ? Therefore that will be the max speed on this network segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I have the Ethernet cable in either of the yellow ones. There is a blue port (WAN) as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

When I go to the website tplinkwifi.net, it says Trying to configur your wifi? It doesn't open the page you said. I have been trying to get back to that page, but it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

First ensure this

Then connect computer directly to TL, no other connections - power and LAN to PC.

On the label on TL there has to be IP printed(nearly sure its 192.168.0.1 ) - use IP in the browser , i never said tplinkwifi.net, but screenshot from TP-link web might mislead you.

Other way to determine IP , after step "1." & "2." , open CMD, type ipconfig and hit Enter. The line you looking for is Default Gateway

All is step-by-step, all numbered for you, unless there was some config changed already(reset then) or device is at fault (return then)

• Advertisement
Advertisement