Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I haven't defined anything in my signature....?

The function of tha signature is to stop people asking 'what is a woman?' in any trans debate because they want a specific answer and, if they don't get it the accused you of being stupid and it completely derails the conversation, not to promote a definition.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The definition of those terms is hugely important when discussing this. Not wanting to answer that is just a huge cop out.

Male and female are the two sex classes of our species.

Children of the male sex class are called boys.

Adults of the male sex class are called men.

Children of the female sex class are called girls.

Adults of the female sex class are called women.

There are people of both sex classes who either believe themselves to be, or want to be the opposite sex class.

As this is an impossibility, instead they have redefined gender (which used to simply equate with sex) so that it is a self identity which can change.

Previously the accepted term was transsexual, but that has since become transgender.

Previously it was accepted that transsexuals have a form of dysphoria, but now it's said that no dysphoria is necessary to be transgender.

Laws are being brought in across the world which are allowing people to change their sex on legal documents, such as birth cert, with essentially no required criteria to be met.

This has clear safeguarding issues which have already been abused, and will continue to be so.

Children don't need to know any of this. There is no need whatsoever to add it to the primary school curriculum. If a child asks a parent or teacher about it, they can explain in the most simple way possible, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

So why participate?

The main contention in every trans debate is the definition of what it is to be a man or a woman.

And of course people would like a specific answer. Thats the point of a question.

It doesn't derail the conversation...it IS the conversation.

You have a ready made disclaimer saying that you have no wish to participate in that discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The definition of those terms is hugely important when discussing this. Not wanting to answer that is just a huge cop out.

Children don't need to know any of this. There is no need whatsoever to add it to the primary school curriculum. If a child asks a parent or teacher about it, they can explain in the most simple way possible, and move on.

Surely arguing that children don’t need to know about these things is the ultimate cop-out from the responsibility the State has towards children in terms of their education? Isn’t that WHY how these terms are defined and applied is as important as it is? Because without having the language to articulate the idea, it allows for a cop-out, and leaves children who are transgender feeling like there’s something wrong with them, that their innate sense of self does not correspond to what they’re learning from the world around them in terms of their place in society.

Defining these terms IS important, and it’s just as important to individuals that they get to define these terms for themselves. It’s why people don’t agree on how the terms are defined, and so you get people coming out with their ideas of what constitutes a real woman, or indeed what constitutes a woman in the first place.

Simone de Beauvoir for example wasn’t referring to biology when she wrote the words “One is not born a woman, but becomes one”. Sharia Twain was less philosophical about the whole concept when she sang about how she feels like a woman. It’s not difficult to understand what she means by that when you listen to the lyrics of the song, inspired by her time working in a holiday resort -

The title and thus the lyrics of the song were based on Shania Twain's experience while working at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario to provide for her brothers and sisters after their parents died in a car crash. Twain recalls seeing some drag performers working at the resort and credits them as the source of her inspiration. Later in 1993, after being signed to Mercury Nashville and releasing her first album Shania Twain, Twain met Robert John "Mutt" Lange, whom she would collaborate extensively with and marry at the end of the year. In 1994, while composing songs for what would become her second studio album The Woman in Me, Lange played to Twain a riff he had been working on and Twain sang lyrics for what would become "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!". Speaking of the writing of the song, she stated "There was no time to waste on ideas that wouldn't make the album, but something like [the song] was just there. I was inspired right off the bat with that one, for example, by a riff Mutt had going, and the lyrics and phrasing just came out of the blue."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man!_I_Feel_Like_a_Woman!

The 90’s of course were that time when women were being taught that they too could behave like men with Girl Power and the whole lot. Certainly ‘twas a lot more fun then than the #metoo stuff in recent years, but that’s why defining these terms is as important as it is, and not wanting children to know about it is a cop-out when it’s imperative that they do know about it, so that as adults themselves they can change how these terms are defined and interpreted, and that they’re not restricted or limited by how anyone else feels they should define themselves. You can thank Carl Jung for that one -

The world will ask who you are, and if you do not know, the world will tell you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_in_Jungian_psychology

Telling a child that it is possible for a boy to be a girl if they believe it enough, is wrong. In every sense.

• Advertisement

Best example is this thread: we all know transpeople exist, regardless of how you define them: the function now, is: determine at what age it's best to start educating children about transpeople.

Trying to define what is and isn't a woman is counterproductive.

Why participate? Well, I like the variety of issues presented regarding the subject.

Attempting to undermine a persons sense of self, well there’s a word for that too, all too often thrown about in these discussions by people who by the way they’re using it, it’s obvious they don’t understand what it means -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Defining what is and isn't a woman is absolutely not counterproductive.

It's astounding that you think that it is even remotely appropriate to "educate" children about transgenderism when it isn't even possible to discuss what the definition of a woman is.

And what are we educating them? That it's possible to feel like the opposite sex? Or that if you feel deeply enough that you are the opposite sex, then you are the opposite sex. Or that it's impossible to change sex but you can change gender. But you will only be legally recognised as your preferred gender if you stick to the binary sex related genders.

It's not gaslighting in very much the same way that it wouldnt be gaslighting telling a morbidly obese person that they don't have a healthy BMI, a little person that they aren't average height or a 40 year old that they aren't a teenager.

Fair point, but again: if we get bogged down in definitions, none of this debate takes place.

• Advertisement

Again, that's the point.

Definition of what is a man and what is a woman isn't part of this discussion. It is the entirety of the discussion.

For me, it's more "what is trans" and does trans qualify you as such. But again - transpeople exist legally and scientifically. For better or for worse, the genie's out of the bottle - so at what ae do we educate? What do we educate? Or do we opt to not educate?

Unless your stance is that there's no such thin as trans in the first place...?

If your stance is "what is a woman?' how do we agree on terms so we can move on with the rest of the debate? Or are you of the opinoin that there is no debate, in which case - why are YOU participating?

If the child is coming from a position that they perceive themselves to be a girl, or a boy, whichever the case may be, then attempting to undermine that by trying to have them state otherwise IS the very definition of gaslighting behaviour. It’s important for children to recognise when this is being done to them, and just as important that they are armed with the tools to protect themselves against it. This is done by means of education, rather than allowing people to maintain the belief as adults that they are the centre of their own universe, and everyone else will accede to their demands and act accordingly.

It’s not necessary for people to agree on everything, it is necessary for people to acknowledge that other people are as entitled as they are to their own thoughts, beliefs and opinions. It was because of John Money’s ill-conceived ideas with regards to gender and gender identity and sex and sexuality that he proposed the idea that gender identity was malleable and could be altered that we are where we are today. It’s no exaggeration to say he got that wrong, but the impact of his ideas and the effects they had on his patients and their families and the people who were influenced by his nonsense is still very much in effect today in medicine, science, philosophy and law.

Ok then. Tell me what you believe a transwoman to be. Do you believe they are still male?

Ah now, that's blocking the debate via a different route :)

I answer that and it ends one way: us shouting at each other whilst learning nothing and pissing off everyone else in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Is there an agreed consensus or defined standard on even the terminology and definitions surrounding transgenderism? No, imo. So how could it be taught on a national curriculum?

Well then you aren't able to discuss the topic in hand. I am not interested in shouting at anyone.

It's this reason that I don't believe that transgenderism has a place in primary school curriculum. You don't want children not to be taught transgenderism, and I don't want children being taught that being a man or a woman is a matter of opinion or belief.

Teaching a child that a woman is anything other than an adult human female is not gaslighting.

Teaching a child that a girl is a young woman is not gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you ever sometimes feel like Jean-Luc Picard screaming 'There, are, FOUR, lights!' when replying to posts like that? Gaslighting children by stating basic biological facts, I've heard it all now.

Easily, because consensus in education isn’t a requirement of the national curriculum. It’s for this reason that it is the patron of the school who determines the curriculum in relation to relationships and sexuality education, in this country at least. There isn’t any requirement that all countries form a consensus when it comes to these matters either in how they are taught to children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FFS.

Seriously do you have any kids or do ever deal with any kids?

If you tell a child someone is trans e.g transwoman or transman, the first thing that will happen is they will ask what is difference between them and a man or woman.

Are they the same and if not what is the difference?

What then to do you if you can't define what a woman or a man is?

Jaysus the world is going to pot with commons sense in very short supply.

Humankind, in the western world at any rate, is well and truly fooked.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Huh? No need for agreed definitions? Schools or school patrons decide themselves on this? Thats just ridiculous

Legally? Yes - gender recognition act, 2015 (as far as I know). Beyond that, probably not - but then there's no such thing as a universal truth.

i'd assume they'd use this as the basis. Could be wrong.

My point enitrely. I repect your viepoint, but I disagree with it. Had I answered your previous question, you'd never have expressed it.

How I define it is irrelevant. How the law defines it trumps both of us.

---

@jmayo (Sorry for out of sequence posting)

The point is the child will ask their teacher. Or parent, if not in a classroonm setting.

They aren't going to be asking ME so what I think bears no relevance.

That’s a convenient interpretation of the point I was making. I didn’t mention anything about children being taught basic biology. A child who is transgender would undoubtedly feel that way if they were being forced to behave as though they believed what they were being told. That suits the person telling them, because it accords with what that person maintains is an objective and unchanging fact, in accordance with their beliefs.

It's not a belief that a woman is a female adult human.

Nor is it a belief that humans cannot change sex.

I didn’t say it was. The point I was making is that undermining a person’s sense of self, is what constitutes gaslighting. I even gave the example of John Money, a respected and renowned influential scientist who maintained that gender identity was malleable, and could be altered. It was his patients who suffered as a consequence of his beliefs, while he was regarded as a pioneer in his field. The truth only became public knowledge after the fact, and still there are to this day people who believe his work had merit.

"My point enitrely. I repect your viepoint, but I disagree with it. Had I answered your previous question, you'd never have expressed it"

I assure you, I would have still expressed my view.

It is not something I'd ever shy away from expressing.

"How I define it is irrelevant. How the law defines it trumps both of us."

This also puts up a sticky point of contention. If we are to go by the law, where only the two sex based binary genders are legally recognised, are we then to teach children that there are only two genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Good luck trying to explain "the full spectrum of gender identity" and differences of all 16 (or more as they keep adding new exotics) genders to 2nd class kids.

Is this designed to completely confuse them?

You would, but I prefer to bypass the shouting. That does nothing for anyone.

We're talking about state education - I'm pretty sure they'd go by the legal status as a basis. If not, then we're in conpiracy theory territory. Beyond that, the simple answer is: I don't know - as I don't know what the legal status of the recognition of non-binary genders is.

• Advertisement

Regarding it as ridiculous doesn’t change the fact that that’s what happens in terms of education in this country -

In preparation for teaching SPHE/RSE, it is important to consult your school’s SPHE/RSE policy to ensure that your approach, the programmes you use and the content you teach is in keeping with your school’s policy.

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/f016e798-f87b-4c93-93e0-fe58ecb79aca/An-inclusive-approach-to-SPHERSE-–-LGBTI-identities_final.pdf

There have been attempts by a small group of Irish politicians to undermine this idea (they too are of the opinion it’s ridiculous), with the introduction of their Provision of Objective Sex Education bill, but that’s going nowhere fast -

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2018/34/

Catholic Bishops, who are the Patron of 90% of Irish schools, are having none of it in their schools -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/churchs-backlash-blocks-change-in-religion-classes-35249798.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement