Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Which is my point.

Roderic has said that he wants to teach primary school what is means to be transgender...

What do you think children should be taught?

What, in your opinion, should children be taught about what it means to be transgender?

Because my opinion is that it isn't appropriate for a school to teach about such a contentious issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Those statements are based entirely upon what you believe. Other people who don’t share your beliefs, naturally enough don’t share your opinions. The State recognises that a compromise is necessary in the accommodation of everyone in Irish society, and it does so through Irish law, as opposed to getting bogged down in the nitty gritty. It’s the responsibility of the Courts to interpret Irish law in circumstances where there is a disagreement over how it applies. That’s why nobody has to agree with you, and your agreement isn’t required for this to be true either -

18. (1) Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/section/18/enacted/en/html#sec18

No. My statements are based entirely on biology.

Gender and sex are different.

That also means that anyone that isn't in possession of a gender recognition certificate, is not the sex they claim to be, but when they get a certificate, they automatically change sex? lol. Seems sensible.

The government could create a law that states that gravity does not exist, but that doesnt mean I will float away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, if we agree on the legal defintions being used, what's the issue?

What, in your opinion, should children be taught about what it means to be transgender?

You've answered you own question here: What should children be taught?

What it means to be transgender.

Now beyond that, I can't answer as I'm not transgender.

Why is it contentious? (Not saying it isn't asking genionely: wy?)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Because the law says that the person sex changes. Which it doesn't.

The law only recognises two "genders" so what about those two genders makes it more "real" than the myriad other genders we are told exist?

What it means to be transgender cannot be taught because "gender" is a personal belief about oneself.

Absolutely teach wellness and that "it's ok to not feel normal", but do not feed them full of bullshit and tell them that they can actually change sex, or that only two genders are legally valid but coincidentally, they happen to be the two genders that correlate with actual biological sex.

There is nothing about gender identity that is appropriate for the state to teach to primary school children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Thank you. That's an eye opener for me, particularly the NCCA document relating to primary schools.

And other people’s statements which disagree with yours are based entirely upon biology too. John Money’s opinion was that gender is biological, but gender identity is sociological, and he set about experimenting on human beings to prove his hypothesis that gender identity is malleable, which is how we now know for a fact that his theories were bogus in the first place.

The purpose of a GRC is that they are recognised as their preferred gender in Irish law, and this means they are protected from unlawful discrimination on the grounds of gender in the same manner as everyone else who was already protected from unlawful discrimination based on gender.

The Government could create a law that states that gravity does not exist, but it wouldn’t serve any purpose, whereas the Gender Recognition Act does. In the same way, choosing for children to remain ignorant of the force of gravity would only mean they would remain ignorant. Tying a tea-towel around their neck and jumping off the back of the couch after watching Superman, tends to give children a very quick primer about gravity 😒

Because the law says that the person sex changes. Which it doesn't.

The law only recognises two "genders" so what about those two genders makes it more "real" than the myriad other genders we are told exist?

Those are all arguments you need to present to the relevant legal authorities. not to me.

Beyond that, the rest of your argument appears to be that you believe should be seen as fact and any discussion in the classroom should be based on what you personally think.

Quite the opposite.

I don't want my take on gender ideology taught to children in primary school.

I don't want any take about gender ideology being taught to primary school children.

It flies in the face of basic biology.

Some things are better left to parents.

And it's a discussion board, so telling me to take it to the authorities is a little dismissive.

I'm not saying that children should be ignorant of trans people. I'm saying that it should be up to the parents to decide when and how it is explained to them, not the school.

• Advertisement

I know you’re not saying that, I completely get where you’re coming from. It’s already up to parents to decide when and how these concepts are explained to their children, but that’s completely separate from whether or not children should learn about gender identity in Irish schools, as delivered either by the school themselves, or outsourced to a third party who regard themselves as experts in all matters related to social, personal, health education, or relationships and sexuality education.

It’s still up to the parents to decide when and how it is explained to children if their children are transgender, and a PhD in biology is not required, let alone an understanding of biology at all when people don’t generally walk around naked in the first place, which might cause the issue to come up when children observe how they are different from other children or adults. It’s better for children to be educated on these matters as opposed to leaving them to investigate these matters for themselves. One doesn’t require a PhD in History to know how that goes -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pregnancy-teen-lgbt-idUSKBN0NZ2AT20150514

I don't want my take on gender ideology taught to children in primary school.

I don't want any take about gender ideology being taught to primary school children.

It flies in the face of basic biology.

That's because you see everything as "ideology'. Ever think something can be explained or taught without it being an ideology?

And it's a discussion board, so telling me to take it to the authorities is a little dismissive.

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss them - just not wit me. You might as well complain to me about the law of gravity.

If the law says the person's sex changes, but you say it doesn't; why should I beleive you and not the law? What do you want me to do or explain or debate here....?

If you ge tcaught speeding and you say the law is wrong, you're still going to get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

That's interesting. So if someone identifies as as particular sex (not just gender). They are it. And their physical body, chromosomes are then irrelevant in Irish law after that point?

Plus you can also rewrite history by getting an updated birth cert in your preferred sex/gender.

At some point then, will it become taboo to refer to some people as Trans? Because if they are 100% the sex they identify with, there's nothing different about them. Although other categories for pangender, non-binary people and so on also exist. Shouldn't the law at this point make room for more than 2 sexes/gender? or None? Since people already identify as this.

I wonder how medical textbooks should refer to what were previously know as Male and Female anatomies?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not contentious though. The state has accepted trans people exist and legally recognise them. This idea that its contentious that trans people exist isnt true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The state have accepted two types of transgender exist. Male and female.

Are you of the opinion that it's settled now and you think that anyone identifying as anything other than male or female are delusional or that their gender identity is not as real as the two sex related genders?

"If the law says the person's sex changes, but you say it doesn't; why should I beleive you and not the law? "

Because I would assume you aren't so absolutely ignorant of how the human body works. If you think a certificate is all that is required for you to magically become the OPPOSITE sex, then that's on you

If something is law, then it means it's true.....

I hope you know how terrifyingly naive that sounds.

It's true in terms of what actually happens. You can disagree with a certificate meaning what it means, but you can't disagree that the law accepts it as valid.

Again - you sound like someone who will tell the cop that the speeding law is wrong and thinks it'll get them out of a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

“If the law says the person's sex changes, but you say it doesn't; why should I beleive you and not the law? What do you want me to do or explain or debate here....?”

That’s being dishonest or naive. Surely you understand there has to be some logic underpinning your thought process, and the law.

By your logic, as outlined above, if the law changed again, and transitioning sex/gender was banned, you would then have to accept that it was not possible. Whereas in reality most people would not accept this either (even if they don’t agree on the current wording and legal process for transitioning).

That's such a ridiculous comparison.

I am saying that a male cannot become a female. I am saying a female can not become a male.

I am saying sex is not a matter of feeling, no more than height, weight or age is. It's a biological and provable reality.

Do you disagree?

Or are you saying that biological sex changes with a certificate or are we doing this merry dance again where we now how to refer to "biological sex" because the word sex now refers to a preferred gender?

What is the **** point of words anymore?

• Advertisement

But to refute the comparison, you sound like someone who would support a law that allows people travelling 100mph in a 50mph zone to be able to identify as not speeding.

Sure, there might be evidence that could 100% prove that they were indeed travelling at 100mph but they believe deeply enough that they weren't.

Provable facts aren't made less factual by poorly thought out laws.

I'm not talking about what the law says is and is not possible, I'm talking about what the law says is legally recognised and if the law changed to not recognise transgender identitues, then so be it - it would still be the law.

Guess who is not saying the law is wrong, they're saying they know more about the law than the law does.

We're not arguing biology. I never questioned or debated biology.

We're arguing law.

If you want to argue law, tell me you want to argue law.

If you want me to argue biology, tell me you want to argue biology.

Pcik one.

Either way, tell me what your opinoin is based on.

Sex. Is. Biology.

I'm saying the law is wrong. A person cannot change their sex because it's biological.

You are unwilling to discuss what you think a woman is.

I'm assuming so, that because of your capitulation to whatever the state says, you believe it to be an adult female human and any biological male adult who is in possession of a gender recognition certificate.

Do you see how utterly bizarre, contrived and idiotic that sounds?

You earlier said that you can't say what it means to be transgender because you aren't transgender yourself. Does that mean you want transgender individuals to teach children in primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Bizarre.

Kids are turning up at third level with woeful literacy skills.

Yet, without any broad public demand (much less a mandate), this wretched government proposes the introduction of a bewildering, dubious and potentially harmful ideology at primary level.

The same deranged mode of governance is seen in other aspects.

This government is hostage to extremists, ideologues and external influences. It has abandoned common sense, foresight and prudence for progressivist posturing.

Our policy makers have overlooked the basics in favour of pushing ideological nonsense and we will pay painfully for it as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS who here are ever arguing that trans gender people don't exist?

You could count on one hand the amount of people that have ever argued otherwise.

Of course to you, as is ably seen in all the threads you post on, you take the most extreme opposing view and lump everyone that disagrees with you into that category.

What most of us, if I dare to assume to speak for others, disagree with is this idea that a trans person is the exact same biological, anatomical or physiological specimen as the group they now profess to be.

You cannot change biology and a transwoman will never ever be the same as what the vast vast majority of people would view as a woman i.e. XX chromosomes, womb, ovaries, experiencing periods since puberty, breasts for lactation, possible ability to have children at some stage in their life.

Now they may be missing some of those above items of anatomy either through quirk of faith during gestation or through surgery.

Likewise a trans man will never ever be a man.

But before they roll out any supposed curriculum on this they have to agree on definitions, otherwise one teacher will say anyone can be a woman or anyone can be a man, whilst someone like Enoch Burke will argue about Adam and Eve.

I am not allowed discuss …

That's interesting. So if someone identifies as as particular sex (not just gender). They are it. And their physical body, chromosomes are then irrelevant in Irish law after that point?

No, there are exemptions, but Irish law also recognises that everyone has the right to freedom of expression, freedom of belief and conscience and so on, and again there are limitations to those rights. It arises in relation to abortion and assisted human reproduction for example, but how it applies would depend upon the specifics of each and every individual circumstances.

Plus you can also rewrite history by getting an updated birth cert in your preferred sex/gender.

That’s not rewriting history. The original record of the event is maintained, and an amendment is added. Rewriting the initial record to reflect a historical fact, is considerably more difficult to do -

https://www.decisis.ie/mothers-incorrect-name-on-daughters-birth-certificate-could-be-amended-now-that-the-mistake-as-to-her-true-name-had-been-discovered/

At some point then, will it become taboo to refer to some people as Trans? Because if they are 100% the sex they identify with, there's nothing different about them. Although other categories for pangender, non-binary people and so on also exist. Shouldn't the law at this point make room for more than 2 sexes/gender? or None? Since people already identify as this.

I’ve no idea, seems unlikely though, but as for whether or not Irish law should at this point make room for more than two sexes/gender or none, there’s already people working on that -

The Review Group recommended extending legal gender recognition to non-binary people, while also recognising the complexity of the issue and acknowledging that a comprehensive impact analysis may be required. An interdepartmental group has been established that is tasked with carrying out this impact assessment and submitting a report to Government for consideration by the end of 2020. In the meantime, Government Departments and other public bodies will take positive steps to improve the position of non-binary people.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/43aef0-minister-doherty-publishes-her-report-on-the-review-of-the-gender-re/

I wonder how medical textbooks should refer to what were previously know as Male and Female anatomies?

Good question, there have been a number of classification systems proposed throughout history in biology, anatomy and physiology to choose from, it’s not as though anyone is limited to using only one classification system when there are already many available, and that’s notwithstanding the idea that there couldn’t be more devised in the future as our understanding of nature evolves -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy_(biology)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

"we will pay painfully"

Sounds bad. Haha

Way to avoild simpe answers.

A person can not change their sex or a person cna not change their gender?

You want to debate Biology? Link to sience that backs you up. Or am I "capitulating" to science as well?

Law - link to law that says you have to right to not recognise the law.

If by "capitulating" you mean pointing out a legal document, thjen so be it, but it's a weird defintion of "capitulating".

@jmayo - yes and I'm sure that they will agree on what the deifition of a woman is for the purposes of education and not to stiffle debate.

Did you really ask me for a link to prove that female is a biological term?

A person can change their gender. Absolutely. Because gender is a person's feeling about themselves. But that doesn't change their sex. Because that's biological.

I have every right to not agree with a law.

So is it your opinion that there are only two genders? The law only recognises two. So do you consider other genders less legitimate?

But again, you are going all around the houses just so you don't need to say either "yes, in my opinion, a person who is born a male is just as much a female as a person born a female, once they have a certificate" or "no, in my opinion it is preposterous to say that a male can be a female because of belief alone, but there is a law that says they should be recognised, but I'm not stupid, I know that they are not the same"

• Advertisement

I've never argued they can change their sex - there's a reason it's called transGENDER and not transSEX.

The issue here is that when someone disagrees with you, you switch from gender to sex and then try to claim that the other person was arguing changing sex; and then when you get cornered, switch back to gender as if it was that all along you were talking about.

Regarding the law - you have the right to argue, but not declare that you're above it or that it doesn't apply to you.

Regarding the last paragrpah: I'm avoiding it for reasons stated: it adds nothing to the debate and takes the whole thing off topic, as stated back at te start.

--

The thing is that you accept people can trasnition gender but don't want it in the classroonm, but then complain that people are teaching about trasnitiong sex; which you don't like because it's not biologicially possible - correct?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement